• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I'm into the indie scene. TV on the radio is great. Buy the whole first album. They are indie, similar to wolf parade or arcade fire. Brooklyn band. At least buy the sog "dreams" on the first album, it's incredible.

By the way: Angels & Airwaves? My chem? I strongly dislike emo. Also, they are extremely popular, huge among most teen girls.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Musician: Elliott Smith

Genre: Indie Rock

Album(s): Roman Candle (1994), Elliott Smith (1995), Either/Or (1997), XO (1998), Figure 8 (2000), From a Basement on the Hill (2004)

Sounds Like: Nick Drake, John Lennon

If You Like....: The Beatles, Radiohead, Nick Drake, The Shins, Modest Mouse or other similiar bands or musicians you will most likely enjoy Elliott Smith.

Reason Why I Like Him: Firsly I absolutely love his voice; it is fantastic. He is also a very good musician (his guitaring for Angeles is immense) and his lyrics are amongst the best that I have ever seen/heard.

About: Elliott Smith was an American singer/songwriter who used to be in Heatmiser; he was a huge Beatles fan. He made five albums before his death (From a Basement on the Hill was released a year after his death); the first three were lo-fi affairs with only a few songs having complete instrumentation. The best of these was his third, Either/Or (which many consider to be his best album). He was nomimnated for an Oscar for his song Miss Misery which was featured in the film Good Will Hunting; this song is not on any of his albums and only appears on the film soundtrack (he also had other songs featured in Good Will Hunting). His other prominant 'appearance' in film was singing the closing song to American Beauty (he sung Because by The Beatles).

After his first three albums he signed for Dreamworks and a year later he released XO which was a complete departure from his first three albums because it had a multitude of instruments and it was extremely polished in its presentation. After this he released Figure 8 - which is as slick as an oil spill - and then he quit Dreamworks and began working on more material. A year after his suicide (he stabbed himself in the chest twice) From a Basement on the Hill was released.

Recommended Songs: Firslty I'd just like to say that Elliott Smith has a large catalogue of music and I find all of it enjoyable and I actually love most of the songs but I'll just list my absolute favourites.

Roman Candle -

Condor Ave.
No Name #2
Last Call

Elliott Smith -

Needle in the Hay
Coming Up Roses
St.Ides Heaven
The Biggest Lie

Either/Or -

Alameda
Ballad of Big Nothing
Pictures of Me
Rose Parade
Angeles
2:45 AM
Say Yes

XO -

Waltz #2 (XO)
Baby Britain
Independence Day
Bled White
Bottle Up and Explode!
Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Figure 8 -

Son of Sam
Somebody That I Used to Know
Everything Reminds Me of Her
In the Lost and Found (Honky Bach)/The Roost
Happiness/The Gondola Man

From a Basement on the Hill -

Let's Get Lost
Pretty (Ugly Before)
Strung Out Again
A Fond Farewell
King's Crossing
Twilight
Shooting Star
Memory Lane
A Distorted Reality Is Now a Necessity to Be Free

Link(s): http://www.trashtreasury.com/
http://sweetadeline.net/

Band: The Go! Team

Genre: Funk

Album(s): Thunder, Lightning, Strike (2004)

Sounds Like: Nothing I've heard.....I really have no idea who I can compare these guys to.

If You Like....: The Avalanches

Reason Why I Like Them: I just love it for sheer aesthetic reasons. They sample just about everything (e.g. cheerleader chants) and mix it all up with their own playing to make....Something...

About: The Go! Team are an English, Brighton based six piece band (with two drummers) whose songs are a mixture of action theme songs, cheerleader chants, guitars and early hip-hop, with a hint of '70s funk. They place more emphasis on live instrumentation than some of their contemporaries, although they do base many of their songs around samples from various sources.

[Stolen from Wikipedia]

Reccomended Songs:

Thunder, Lightning, Strike -

Ladyflash
Feel Good by Numbers
The Power is On
Get it Together
Junior Kickstart
Bottle Rocket
Everyone's a V.I.P. to Someone

Link(s): http://www.thegoteam.co.uk/flash/GoKids.html
OMG you got amazing taste. I love Elliot Smith, amazing songwriter, and the go team owns. repping you.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm into the indie scene. TV on the radio is great. Buy the whole first album. They are indie, similar to wolf parade or arcade fire. Brooklyn band. At least buy the sog "dreams" on the first album, it's incredible.

By the way: Angels & Airwaves? My chem? I strongly dislike emo. Also, they are extremely popular, huge among most teen girls.
tv on the radio has recently really grown on me, even their newest cd. i only like about half their songs, but the half i like i really enjoy. their stuff on quarterstick/touch-and-go is awesome, but i wouldn't expect anything less from the only label i've ever found that i actually like most of the bands on. their self released record "ok calculator" has some cool songs on it, too, but it's very different from their later stuff. what other stuff do you listen to? it's hard for me to find new indie stuff that i like.

also, i wouldn't call angels and airwaves or my chemical romance emo, i'd call them pop rock and pop screamo, respectively. there is some really good more underground emo type stuff out there. slowreader, fine china, the early stuff from cursive, sunny day real estate: diary, and american football are all pretty awesome. especially american football. they mix jazzy/mathy music with almost spoken word emo vocals. (plus they actually know how to play their instruments well, which seems to be a rare find in a contemporary emo band).

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
A few recent albums, for recommendation:

Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites

The Band/The Album:

The Danish indie groups fourth full length, And the Glass Handed Kites, is an epic Quasi-Concept album that somehow manages to still feel sincere while singing in falsetto and borrowing elements from Metal and Progressive rock. That they can get away with calling a track "The Seething Rain Weeps for You (Uda Pruda)" and not come off as cheesy is a testiment to this sincerity, as is the rediculous album cover. Dreamy keyboards overlay a very guitar-oriented sound and steady drumming that would seem aggressive otherwise, but fade into a sometimes hypnotic and perfectly melded overall sound. The album has a great variety of tracks, from songs with abrupt mid-song tempo changes, to more pop-inspired tunes (like the single "Special"), and even a short instrumental track that has a bassdrum imitating a heartbeat, but the album is still very cohessive, technically being one gigantic 53-minute piece. Even the lyrics seem to fluctuate like this, going from convoluted to childlike within the course of a five-minute span.

The album was released in Canada and Europe in 2005, but made its debut in the US just a few months back, now.

Reccomended Tracks:
Why Are You Looking Grave?
An Envoy to the Open Fields
Snow Brigade

Also worth checking out, the album Frengers: A more straight-forward album with catchier tracks, but the same general unique sound is there (Snow Brigade, from above, is on the album).

Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming

The Band/The Album

One of Canadian Spencer Krug's many bands and side projects over the years (Which include Frog Eyes, Wolf Parade and, most recently, Swan Lake), Sunset Rubdown creates chorusless, constantly-shifting songs that have a habit of referencing themselves. Infact, Krug seems to believe in the philosiphy of never truely 'finishing' songs. On Rubdowns works so far of two EPs and Shut Up I Am Dreaming, there are three completely different versions of the song "Snakes Got a Leg", as well as several other songs that branch out from the story. While "Snakes Got a Leg" chants 'I got chased by a hundred snakes this morning/Got away from a hundred snakes in the night', "Empty Threats of the Little Lord" takes the point of view of, who'd have thought, Little Lords who 'let [their] snakes out in the night'. Similarly, one EP contains an early version of the Wolf Parade song "I'll Believe In Anything, You'll Believe In Anything." Sunset Rubdown (or perhaps just Spencer Krug) is constantly bent on self-improvement, and it works out to a pretty interesting product.
More about the music: It highlights Krugs voice, with lyrics that are hard to make out, but rewarding once you do, and jangly, highlighted guitar and piano that stands out, along with the vocals, making each part of the music very distinctive and 'seperate' from every other insturment. It makes for a lot of depth, as any particular part of the music can be easily focused on individually.

Recommended Tracks:
Snakes Got a Leg III
Us Ones in Between

If you like the music, be sure to also check out the Wolf Parade album Apologies to Queen Mary - not so much a similar musical style as it is made similar by Krugs vocals, which are extremely distinctive. The tracks are more straight forward (with, gasp, choruses) and center around precussion and synth to a much larger extent, giving it an almost (almost) dancable quality.

EDIT: As a note, I downloaded the new My Chemical Romance album (I'm too embarased to buy it >.>), and it's actually really entertaining, if not deep in any way. Now that they've started ripping off Queen, My Chemical Romance sounds a lot more interesting and diverse. The Black Parade ends with a delightful little bonus track, it'll be stuck in my head for weaks. "They want blood, blood, gallons of the stuff..."

marthsword

Smash Ace
tv on the radio has recently really grown on me, even their newest cd. i only like about half their songs, but the half i like i really enjoy. their stuff on quarterstick/touch-and-go is awesome, but i wouldn't expect anything less from the only label i've ever found that i actually like most of the bands on. their self released record "ok calculator" has some cool songs on it, too, but it's very different from their later stuff. what other stuff do you listen to? it's hard for me to find new indie stuff that i like.

also, i wouldn't call angels and airwaves or my chemical romance emo, i'd call them pop rock and pop screamo, respectively. there is some really good more underground emo type stuff out there. slowreader, fine china, the early stuff from cursive, sunny day real estate: diary, and american football are all pretty awesome. especially american football. they mix jazzy/mathy music with almost spoken word emo vocals. (plus they actually know how to play their instruments well, which seems to be a rare find in a contemporary emo band).
OK, I'll look throughmy library. I like the velvet underground. They're sixties, and 70's but have always stayed cool. Lou reed is so cool. My favorite songs by them are Sunday Morning, Sweet Jane, and Heroin is good, but kinda hard to listen too. Sometimes I like listening to Deceptacon by Le Tigre. It's an awesome song, makes me happy. Stereolab is an interesting band, they're french I think. The music's very different. The old radiohead stuff was incredible. I find myself listening to "Creep" and "Fake Plastic Trees" all the time on the album "Bends." "Karma Police" on Ok computer (one of the greatest albums ever) is probably their best. Oh, I love the Pixies, they are too cool, and I think they are having a reunion. When I feel like dancing I listen to New Order, especially "Blue monday." I make my own stuff on garageband. I like classic rock as well, especially The Doors and Led Zeppelin.
The Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Wolf Parade and sometimes Death from above are great. Those are my favorites from the Canadian scene. I reccomend you listen to all of this music, I'm sure you'll like it.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Great, you like my taste too. I forgot to say Sonic Youth owns. They are just too cool. I never get tired of "Teenage Riot" and "Diamond Sea." If you feel like punk, "Silver Rocket" is great. Ok, I sometimes like Sebadoh, Bakesale is a great album. Pavement are the kings of 90's indie, you can't go wrong with the album Slanted and Enchanted.

okoya123

Smash Apprentice
Artist/Band - Chronic Future
Genre - Rockl/HipHop
Other Notes - This band is more like the new generation of linkin park. One sone i think everyone has heard is Time and Time Again they've been around for quite some time now u guys should check them out

Artist/Band - Bullet for my Valentine
Genre - Heavy Metal/Emo
Other Notes - they are pretty good band but most of there songs are basically the same.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Yoko Kanno with Ilaria Graziano... seriously, I love ALL of that music.

Mostly:

Ghost in the Shell - Both seasons sound tracks.
Wolf's Rain - OST. <3

Sold Your Soul / Leaving on Red Hill / Beyond Me / Shi No Mori - Yoko Kanno - Wolf's Rain.
Sad - Slow - Violins - Cellos. <3

I Can't Be Cool / Christmas in the Silent Forest / Dew / I do / Velveteen - Yoko Kanno ft. Ilaria Graziano - Ghost in the Shell.
Weird, VERY weird, but I love the strange, enigmatic-ness to it. <3 And Ilaria's voice.

Tus Ojos - Belanova.
It's Spanish, but I LOVE this song to INSANITY! Seriously.

Aaannnd...

Artists:

Nujabes
Autechre
Aphex Twin
Deatch Cab For Cutie
The Pillows
Frou Frou / Imogen Heap
Radio Head
Reik

... Seriously, if I put up 'all' my artists... XDDD A bit too many lines. Those're my favourites. Along with Yoko Kanno, Ilaria Graziano and Belanova.

ScarfSeph13

Smash Cadet
I recommend:

The Devil Wears Prada: Their Whole Album Is Pretty Good.

Drop Dead Gorgeous: "Dressed For Friends Requests" Is A Good Introduction to them.

Catherine: "Evil Man, Dead Man" Good Introduction.

A Good Song by At The Drive-In: "One Armed Scissors" **** you Guero! :p

My Chemical Romance: "Disenchanted" Off The Black Parade Album is grand.

He Is Legend: "I Am Hollywood" Freakin' SWEET song.

Bury Your Dead: "Magnolia" The Soft Distortion Guitar Lines near the end are amazing..not a fan of his vocals though.

Adair: The Ghosts Of Who We Were

Funeral For A Friend: Juneau(Acoustic Version), The Original is pretty sweet...but The acoustic version is probably the most...moving song in my library.

Seal: Kissed By A Rose...Good Stuff!

And...
Avenues And Silhouettes: She Taught Me How To Read (You can only hear this song on their MySpace...but it's pretty amazing.)

The Faint: Worked Up So Sexual

Aiden: The Suffering

Yep.

That's it for now.

ScarfSeph13

Smash Cadet

I agree.

AvA And My Chem are pretty much good stuff, AvA is pretty much a Rock Band Tribute to Flock of Seagulls and U2, with their gutairs and such. My Chem's new album is take off of Queen.

Your not gonna find much Emo there. But you can find emo anywhere now adays...it's in everything from Neil Diamond to 50 Cent. It's too broad of a term.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Lol, I think Bust a Move - Infected Mushroom is kool.

And... PPK. Or something. The band that is.

Ressurection - PPK. <_<;;

Your Woman - White Town

Reasons...? ... They're in SSBM videos. XDDD Srlly. <_<;;

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm a lover of Indie.

Recommendations:

Band: Cursive
Style: Ironic, unique, dark... yet very poetic.
Reccomended songs: The Recluse, Driftwood, Sierra... in that order.

Band: Pistolita
Style: Sounds punk-like, but has a great piano player. Awesome lyrics.
Reccomended songs: Panic, Oliver Under the Moon, and **** near every other song on thier CD.

Band: Lola Ray
Style: Punk like, yet they have a style of their own.
Songs: Officer and a Gentleman, House, Automatic Girl

Those are my top favorites... I'd reccomend Death Cab for Cutie and the Postal Service, but I'm pretty sure everyone'e heard them, right?

somerset lopez

Smash Rookie
Mad props to Crono for knowing who Sigur Ros is and beating me to it. They're my all-time favorite band.

Name: Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Genre: Post Rock / pure awesome / you have to hear them to understand
Other notes: 9 - 14 piece band with string section and normal rock roots. They're almost symphonic at times, with their albums only having four or five tracks on them, each weighing in at like 20 minutes a piece. Mostly instrumental, save for spoken bits now and then.

Name: Explosions In The Sky
Genre: Post Rock
Other notes: Four guys from texas in a two guitar, one bass, and drums instrumental band. The melodies pumped out by the dueling guitarists is heavenly. They range from soft stuff to real heavy. It's all thought out.

somerset lopez

Smash Rookie
I recently just picked them up along with Godspeed, but haven't been able to put either of them down. It's been something like two and a half weeks of nothing but Godspeed and Explosions, and you know what? I'm okay with that.

saberhof

Smash Master
I dont know much about these guys, all i know is that the singer of "The White Stripes" is in this band ;)...

Band: "The Raconteurs"
Album: Broken Boy soldiers: not a bad album, cool rythm and lots of other stuff
my favorite song: "Level"

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
i like explosions and godspeed. i really regret not going to see this amazing indie show earlier this semester that had the likes of explosions in the sky, deerhoof, and fall of troy, among like a ton of others.

fall of troy has recently really grown on me, especially their older stuff before it became ridiculously overproduced. they've got math rock guitars and time signatures, but kind of screamo/hardcore vocals. they kind of remind me of pretty girls make graves, only with screaming. ghostship demos is a pretty awesome record.

another awesome band i'm really liking is camera obscura. not the well known one from glasgow, the relatively obscure one with the angular synth, distorted screamy vocals, and awesome beats. to change the shape of an envelope is the only record i can find by them.

cinemechanica is a cool math rock band that reminds me quite a bit of sweep the leg johnny. they do some interesting stuff on guitars and what not. the martial arts is the only record i've heard from them.

storm and stress is another really intersting band. i think it's got a couple members from don caballero. it's kind of mathy, but with even more deconstruction involved than most math rock bands. under thunder and fluorescent light is a great album.

normally i wouldn't be so brief, but alas, i'm exhausted.

somerset lopez

Smash Rookie
I've heard wind of a new Explosions album coming out early '07 to coincide with their tour. They're playing a show just a bit north of me. Definitely gonna check it out.

Ambulance LTD is another one of my favorites. They're in the same vein as Explosions, except more rock-y and consistent with the addition of vocals.

Immortal Technique

Smash Cadet
Lily Allen: Alright Still
Yeah, this is a very good pop album, she's British and her full album isn't on the American iTunes, but you can download her whole album on Limewire.

Islands: Return to Sea
Indie pop to the max! Recommended songs: Rough Gem, Don't Call Me Whitney Bobby, Abominable Snow.

HORSE the Band: Mechanical Hand
Oh man, this is amazing. It's so aggressive and awesome to Melee to. Nintendocore!

Animal Collective: Feels
This is such a fu**ing trippy album. I love it. Recommended Songs: Grass, The Purple Bottle.

The Cribs: The New Fellas
This is one of my fav. albums of last year. It's great Pop Rock.

saberhof

Smash Master
i like explosions and godspeed. i really regret not going to see this amazing indie show earlier this semester that had the likes of explosions in the sky, deerhoof, and fall of troy, among like a ton of others.

fall of troy has recently really grown on me, especially their older stuff before it became ridiculously overproduced. they've got math rock guitars and time signatures, but kind of screamo/hardcore vocals. they kind of remind me of pretty girls make graves, only with screaming. ghostship demos is a pretty awesome record.

another awesome band i'm really liking is camera obscura. not the well known one from glasgow, the relatively obscure one with the angular synth, distorted screamy vocals, and awesome beats. to change the shape of an envelope is the only record i can find by them.

cinemechanica is a cool math rock band that reminds me quite a bit of sweep the leg johnny. they do some interesting stuff on guitars and what not. the martial arts is the only record i've heard from them.

storm and stress is another really intersting band. i think it's got a couple members from don caballero. it's kind of mathy, but with even more deconstruction involved than most math rock bands. under thunder and fluorescent light is a great album.

normally i wouldn't be so brief, but alas, i'm exhausted.
you rock, Fall of troy is the next show i might go to. i love the songs "Tom Waits":D!! & "We Better Learn to Hotwire a Uteris". a bit hard to learn.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
you rock, Fall of troy is the next show i might go to. i love the songs "Tom Waits":D!! & "We Better Learn to Hotwire a Uteris". a bit hard to learn.
haha, that's awesome. i'm envious. i really wanna see them sometime. the next show i'm going to is the pyramids. i know i've mentioned them before, but they're probably my favorite post-hardcore band in the us. you should check them out, you might like them. you can download all their recorded songs on their website, here: http://www.deconstructingpyramids.com

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I agree.

AvA And My Chem are pretty much good stuff, AvA is pretty much a Rock Band Tribute to Flock of Seagulls and U2, with their gutairs and such. My Chem's new album is take off of Queen.

Your not gonna find much Emo there. But you can find emo anywhere now adays...it's in everything from Neil Diamond to 50 Cent. It's too broad of a term.

I've hated My Chemical Romance ever since I lost one of my shoes at one of their concerts. xD

somerset lopez

Smash Rookie
Anyone interested in just a general expansion of music, try last.fm.

You install a plugin to your media player of choice and it relays the track info back to the last.fm server, and finds similar bands and the like. It's really good.

saberhof

Smash Master
haha, that's awesome. i'm envious. i really wanna see them sometime. the next show i'm going to is the pyramids. i know i've mentioned them before, but they're probably my favorite post-hardcore band in the us. you should check them out, you might like them. you can download all their recorded songs on their website, here: http://www.deconstructingpyramids.com
*im goin this friday*

ill be shure to chek them out, fellow hardcore buddy.

you can put on my sig, :)...i made it special for the occasion of this upcoming event.

nevermind of the sig, ill post it later.

saberhof

Smash Master
ooh i forgot about this awsome band, i hope some of you get to hear them

Band: Unloco
Album: becoming i
Artwork:

Songs:

1. Crashing
2. Failure
3. Hands and Knees
4. Empty
5. Bruises
6. Drowning in it
7. Watching me slip
8. Becoming i
9. Fold
10. Neurotic
11. Making me hate you
12. Texas

Every time i hear SOME of their songs, they kind of remind me of linkin park without the dj'ing crap, but these guys are better i love all the acoustic parts in some songs. The songs in bold letters are my favorite songs, and good ones, i almost like all of em xD, they are a great band, i found them up whil i was playing True crime(LA) a long time ago, this was one of the like 4 songs that i liked from that game that were rock( Unloco - Bruises ), very awsome, hope you guys get to hear em.

marthsword

Smash Ace
This post is pretty much a joke. This song is hilarious, but not that great.

Artist: Benny Benassi and the Biz

Song: Satisfaction

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
edit: man, this isn't the first time i've made this mistake.

anyway, bands that i just heard of/heard live tonight that i like that are all kind of hardcore-ish:

sing sing prison
dialogues
mass movement of the moth

other band's i've heard recently that i really like:

the wind up-bird - http://www.thewindupbird.com/sounds.html
"electroacoustic new music composition and underground experimental noise."

a petal fallen - http://www.purevolume.com/apetalfallen
screamo/post-hardcore. members went on to form pyramids.

in first person - http://www.paramnesiarecords.com/releases.htm
post-hardcore.

it's weird, over the past week or so, i've been listening to either hardcore like most of the above bands, or really relaxing stuff, like the wind-up bird, mono, and explosions in the sky.

saberhof

Smash Master

i almost got on my knees when i got this, well not really, but they are my favorite band(including HoF), id like to take this time to explain loads of stuff on this album. ok first off, this album is more rock/metal than the last 3 i have, they changed alot, but this album shows how much they kick ***.

Song list:

1) The Wolf is Loose - The best song in the album, hear the drum riffs they are crazy.
2)Cristal skull - Cant say much, since i just got this album.
3)Sleeping Giant - ok this is the Rock part of this album, its where it starts, very cool song.
4)Capillarian Crest - Awsome guitar, singing, everything, its one of the first songs of Mastodon that i hear that doesnt go crazy, well not lots...
5)Cirlce of Cysquatch - great changes in the song, watch out you just might be amazed of their awsomness hehe, i read that they were inspired by lots of good bands like Yes, Emerson,lake, and palmer, etc...
6)Bladecatcher - one of the other songs thats more rock, not metal, not lots, some very fast paced riffs, drums.
7)Colony of Birchmen - No words can explain this song, just hear it dammit >_<.
8)Hunters of the Sky - you can understand kind of what hes saying, but i just love how they play this song.
9)Hand of Stone - more rock into this song, a bit diferent from the old stuff(remission, leviathan, the call of the mastodon...)
10)This Mortal Soil - Again, one of the other more Rock themes
11)Siberian Divide - kind of the same rock stuff. with a touch of metal
12)Pendulous Skin - Awsome Acoustic song!!, :DDDDD.

i love mastodon...

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Anyone interested in just a general expansion of music, try last.fm.

You install a plugin to your media player of choice and it relays the track info back to the last.fm server, and finds similar bands and the like. It's really good.
I love last.fm for counting purposes, but I find it's reccomendation system weak. Instead of reccomending similar artists to the ones you listen to, it reccomends music that people who listen to the music you listen to also listen to, which basically ends up with a listing of the most popular bands on last.fm (meaning, no matter what, you're likely to end up with Radiohead, The Beatles and Death Cab on your list).
Still, it's a pretty good site.

Best album I've listened to since my last post? Definitly TV on The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain. I know it's been hyped a lot lately, but it really is very good.

Since I don't feel like thinking of a discription at the moment, I'll just reccomend my favourite tracks: "I Was a Lover", "Dirtywhirl", "Blues from Down Here" and (from the expanded edition with bonus tracks) "Snakes & Martyrs".
And, everyone seems to like "Wolf Like Me", so that too.

Other music I've been listening to (with quick descriptions):

764-HERO - Get Here and Stay
Grunge. Some very complex guitar playing, but that's all that really stands out about this band. Sounds a bit like Built to Spill.
Best Tracks: "Ottawa Dropout", "Stained Glass"

Cornelius - FANTASMA
Eletronic/Psychidelic (more so Psych on the two more recent albums Point and Sensuous) Japanese Rock/Pop. A little too over the top sometimes, but very unique. The best J-pop/rock I've ever listened to.
Best Tracks: "Clash", Typewriter Lesson (Demo)"

Hot Chip - Coming on Strong
Very, very mellow eletronic Indie-pop. Doesn't take itself very seriously.
Best Tracks: "Baby Said", "The Beach Party"

Lily Allen - Alright, Still
Pop music at it's best. Catchy, entertaining and overall just fun to listen to.
I like to describe her as Natasha Bedingfields slightly evil, more talented twin. Atleast, that's what popped into my mind the first time I heard "Smile".
Best Tracks: "Smile", "Alfie"

Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration
Rather mellow and melodic. Lot's of non-rock instruments (i.e; violins, piano, ect.) Reminds me of The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin.
Best Tracks: "Black Forest (Lorelei)", "Vermillion"

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
MBV is a Shoegaze band (in fact, often considered to be the shoegaze band), so understanding the sound of Shoegaze is rather important. It's rock from the late 80s, so obviously it takes a lot of influence from the Pixies and the early Grunge movement. Effect pedals are used excessively, and guitars often overlap and meld with the other instruments, creating a strong melody, but drowning out vocals and bass almost entirely. Now, that's a more fitting discription of MBVs second (and more acclaimed) album, Loveless, as this one is a more straight-forward rock record. But, it definitly has the elements in place.
Best Tracks: "Lose My Breath", "Feed Me With Your Kiss"
And, from Loveless: "Soon"

Spoon - Telephono/Soft Effects EP
Grungy and lo-fi, with a focus on steady rythms, guitar trickery and the vocalists, well, vocals, which are terrific. The two releases come packaged together.
Best Tracks:
Telephono: "Not Turning Off", "Dismember"
Soft Effects EP: "Mountain of Sound"

And, just for the hell of it:
NP: Wilco - Pot Kettle Black

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Stutterfly
Genre:
Alternative Rock and Screamo
Album: And We Are Bled Of Color

One of the best Canadian rock bands I've ever heard. The CD will get into your head and it will keep you listening for a long time to come. There are some screamo moments on the CD, but they are given substance and sound awesome.

Recommended Songs: Dead Eyes, Where Angels Fell, Gun In Hand, Life's Disease, Flames Adorn The Silence

Video: "Gun In Hand"
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=94515

Already posted this video in a whole new thread without looking in here. Sorry.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Erm, I want to start listening to these artists, but I have no idea where to start. Song suggestions, guys?

Bjork
Boris
David Bowie
Slowdive

saberhof

Smash Master
omg you havnt listened to David Bowie?!?!?! well:

you can start off with "Space oddity" , "Ziggy Stardust" , "Rebel,Rebel" , "Suffragette City" and thats a start.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
omg you havnt listened to David Bowie?!?!?! well:

you can start off with "Space oddity" , "Ziggy Stardust" , "Rebel,Rebel" , "Suffragette City" and thats a start.
I've heard Space Oddity, obviously.
I'm not very into classic rock, so... yeah. Also, an album recommendation would come in handy, he has so **** many, I wouldn't want to randomly pick and end up with his worst one or whatever >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom