• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaydon_esker

Smash Apprentice
Two bands from the UK that you should check out first, followed by a band you need to listen to!

Band Name: Twin Atlantic
Genre: Rock / Alternative / Powerpop (I'm going with their description, I'm not so great at picking genres)
Other Notes: A band that is sure to prosper. Currently they only have an EP released called a Guidance From Colour which is available on Itunes. The band's single "Audience and Audio" is one that will most likely stick in your head for all the right reasons, not to say that the other songs are forgettable - far from it. The sound in each song seems to evolve naturally so that staleness is avoided. They know when bits should be loud, or when bits should have a cello in it (only one song, called "A Guidance from Colour"). They're located in the Glasgow area, though will be playing Edinburgh soon. Anyone who can really should see them, you wont regret it!
Recommended Song(s): I Cave In; A Guidance From Colour; Audience and Audio; Time Is the Enemy

Band Name: Enjoy Destroy
Genre: Rock / Alternative
Other Notes: Another not too well known band at the moment that's picking up steam. They currently have an album out called "Little Dreams" which I highly recommend due to its consistency of great songs. I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but their music grabbed me as soon as I'd listened for a few seconds. They're playing at King Tuts in Glasgow in the near future.
Recommended Song(S): Mactier; Little Dreams; Screamer; Hospital Bed

And now for my favourite band:

Band Name: Death From Above 1979
Genre: Alternative/ Electronic
Other Notes: Wow. Just wow. Oddly enough, I hated this band when I first heard them. Consisting of bass, drums and voice this band created an awesome album called "You're a Woman, I'm a Machine" that combined a dirty bass sound with incredibly "catchy" (I'm tentative using that word here) songs. Once I'd given them a chance, I was hooked. They also have an album of remixes, which I know doesn't sound too appealing - believe me, I thought so too - but is worth listening to, but probably don't buy until you've heard a few songs from it. Sadly, they are no longer around, but that is no reason not to listen to them! Only thing I would say is listen to them in small doses for best result!
Recommended Song(s): Romantic Rights; Pull Out; Blood on Our Hands; Romantic Rights (Marczech Makuziak Remix)

the kilt

Smash Rookie
Well I didn't notice any of these bands/artists posted so I'll mention them:

Band: Crass
Genre: Anarcho-Punk
Notes: Crass is a punk band that practices what they preach. Anarchy is a lifestyle with Crass and they're a great band that has a great message. Crass evolved into a band that used less instruments and more vocals to get their point across and even have a song on their first CD called "The Sound of Free Speech" because the song they originally had was removed; "The Sound of Free Speech" is two minutes of silence.

Band: Oi Polloi
Genre: Gaelic Oi
Notes: Oi Polloi is another punk band with a few messages in their songs. They preach against hatred, racism, animal slaughter, etc. Recently they've also been dabbling in Gaelic with their music so that it may expand to the masses and revive a lost language used by too few people.

Band: Example
Genre: Hip-hop
Notes: A great hip-hop artist. This is coming from me, who listens to zero hip-hop and I think this guy is amazing. He really puts his music together well and has his own sound.

MeGaBiTe

Smash Rookie
Some dinosaur bands here, but I'd consider it essential to listen to them, especially if you're interested in music.

Band Name: The Velvet Underground
Genre: Psychedelic/Alternative
Album of Interest: The Velvet Underground & Nico
Notes: They never sold well, but as it's been said "everyone who bought their first album was inspired to start a band." From the sweetness of "Sunday Morning" to the lukewarm commentary of "Heroin" to the haunting sound of "The Black Angel's Death Song," the Velvet Underground delivered the finest album that never hit it big in their first attempt. However, it's not as if they collapsed afterward: "White Light/White Heat," "The Velvet Underground," and "Loaded" were all great albums as well.

Band Name: King Crimson
Genre: Psychedelic/Art Rock
Album of Interest: In the Court of the Crimson King
Notes: Another band whose greatest success is their first album, King Crimson was famous near the end of the 60's but today are a little-known band in pop culture, but a huge influence on modern artists, notably those in the Alternative Rock genre. In the Court of the Crimson King is one of the most bizarre, yet influential and powerful albums of its time. King Crimson remains an underground, but definitely powerful band to this day, still releasing quality material.

Band Name: Iggy and the Stooges
Genre: Protopunk
Album of Interest: Raw Power
Notes: Punk, grunge, and many other facets of alternative rock can trace their lineage back to Iggy and the Stooges. Never a popular band, they were however, much like the Velvet Underground, huge in the music scene and critically acclaimed. It did not take at all long for their music to be modified into the first sounds of punk, and it's easy to see why. Iggy Pop performed like a man possessed. He was moved by the music and was not in control of himself while singing. The stage antics of metal can be traced to Iggy, too. This is seen very easily in his first concert, where he was said to have slathered his own body in peanut butter sometime during the performance and also performed such bizarre spectacles as gouging his own skin with broken chunks of glass. Iggy and the Stooges released many fine albums that sadly never made it to the public eye, but Raw Power, in particular, is important: produced by David Bowie, it truly embodied the protopunk nature of the band.

Immortal Technique

Smash Cadet
Hipster Music

Hipster and Indie Music (real indie rock, not that emo/alternative/punk/rock stuff that people call indie rock)

Steve Aoki: Pillowface and His Airplane Chronicles <--yeah it sounds stupid but it's probably the hippest DJ set out there (Dirty Electro Rap included!!!).

Spank Rock: Yoyoyoyoyo

Benny Blanco & Spank Rock: Bangers & Cash EP

Santogold

Vampire Weekend: S/T

Broken Social Scene: S/T

Bonde do Role: With Lasers

Voxtrot: Raised by Wolves EP

White Denim: Let's Talk About It EP

Phoenix: It's Never Been Like That

Man Man: Six Demon Bag

Gang of Four: Return the Gift

The Deadly Syndrom: The Ortolan

CSS: Cansei de Ser Sexy

The Cribs: Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever

Annuals: Be He Me

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
Band = Orgy
Favorite Album = Candyass, and Vapor Transmission

Band = Radiohead
Favorite Album = OK Computer, Kid A, and The Bends
The Bends is my favorite of all of them

Band = Dream Theater
Favorite Album = Scenes From A Memory
Scenes From A Memory is the Best concept album ever!! Puts Caress of Steel, and Operation: Mindcrime to shame.

Band = Collective Soul
Favorite Album = All of Them

Band: Jackyl
Favorite Album = Choice Cuts
Sounds similar to AC/DC but different style

Band = Mr. Bungle
Favorite Album = Disco Volante, California
Weirdest music ever. They shift music genres in the middle of their songs. Definitely keeps you on your toes.

Band: Faith No More
Favorite Album = The Real Thing

Band: Depeche Mode
Favorite Album = Violator

Band: New Order
Favorite Album = Technique

Band: Public Image Ltd
Favorite Albums = The Greatest Hits So Far

Band: Sonic Youth
Favorite Album = Daydream Nation

Band: Soundgarden
Favorite Album = Superunknown

Band: The Stone Roses
Favorite Album = THe Stone Roses

I have more but I will stop there for now!!!

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
Band: A Forest of Stars
Genre: Psychedelic Black Metal
Album: The Corpse of Rebirth (there only album so far)
Notes: Unique, experimental, messes with your mind.

maximus

Smash Apprentice
Band: Antonin Dvorak (composer)
Genre: Classical Violin
Notes: Helps me think.

Band: Boston
Genre: Classic Rock
Album: Boston
Notes: In the song, "More than a Feeling", Brad Delps vocals become indistinguishable from the sound of Tom Scholz's guitar solo. In my opinion, one of the most interesting song intros in rock music history.

Band: Magic Sam (Bluesman)
Genre: Blues
Notes: His guitar solo on Sam's Boogie is insane.

JFox

Smash Hero
Is anyone going to the progressive nation 08' tour? Dream Theater (headlining), Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, and Three.

I'm going to the one on the 21st, in NYC. I don't really like Dream Theater, but I'm going for Opeth and Between the Buried and Me. I've never heard of three.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Could someone reccomend a good sad song? I don't mean just lyrics, but an overall depressing feel. I need a good one for an AMV I'm making (Samurai X)
Most anything off Dummy by Portishead is beautifully sad and desolate. Perfect soundtrack to feeling sorry for yourself at 3am with only a bottle of red wine for company, if that's yer kind of thing.:)

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
Could someone reccomend a good sad song? I don't mean just lyrics, but an overall depressing feel. I need a good one for an AMV I'm making (Samurai X)
ANYTHING by Taku Iwasaki for Samurai X. There's a lot of music that's overlooked in the show, and when you listen to the OST, you'll probably be wondering where the tracks were playing.

If you're trying to convey a broad emotion in such a specific context like the sadness of Samurai X, it's so important in achieving congruency and good expression that your song's sadness is in a very similar vein. I really don't know of anyone else who can capture that feel as well as Iwasaki. Try "Labyrinth" or "Eclipse," they're both on the Samurai X OST.

As for my two cents regarding the thread, how about some Motoi Sakuraba or Yasunori Mitsuda? Listen to the "Golden Sun" or "Chrono Trigger" OSTs on www.bluelaguna.net. Objectively, nostalgia didn't play a factor in my appreciation of the music, just a genuine curiosity. The games are amazing enough on their own, but the soundtracks masterfully manage to weave their unique tales in our minds without visual crutch, but beautiful melodies alone. I'm not aware of many, if any songs in the compendium of musical composition that augment their counterparts so naturally. The respective genres would be.. well, Sakuraba and Mitsuda! Like djpretzel on OCReMix says, videogame music is not a genre, it is a medium through which various genres are represented.

Tralala

Smash Rookie
This is the kind of thread I always end up discovering new music from.... it's the best thing about the "long tail" and music.... before u had to read in a magazine or hunt around in a record store to find something cool -- which made the choices always subject to the "gatekeeping" of editors and music store buyers and etc... -- which would lead inevitably to mediocrity and the prevalence of "poser music" -- i.e. stuff that you want to like because you think it's cool, not because you really like it. Music journalism especially creates high-profiles for really lame stuff, because journalists are always looking behind their backs, trying to profile something that they think in 2 years people will think they were cool for liking "way back when".... I GREATLY prefer the democratic nature of threads like these, where people simply list their tastes and you can just look something up on itunes or youtube and check it out for yourself....

These days I'm really into techno and techno/rock and stuff like that -- try searching for these songs:

Thomas Falke "Revolution On The Dance Floor"
Groove Cutter "My Shooter"
Control One "Just A Little Bit"
Ian Carey "Redlight"
Kevin Weg "Dead Radio"

I don't usually go for techno but these are sort of like a wierd crossover between rock and techno/trance.

Here are also some downloads with some other cool stuff too -- http://www.electricfilebox.com/tracks

Sensai

Smash Master
Looking for a band similar to Death Cab for Cutie, the Postal Service, Simon & Garfunkle, etc...something lyrically stimulating.

Suggestions?

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
As for my two cents regarding the thread, how about some Motoi Sakuraba or Yasunori Mitsuda? Listen to the "Golden Sun" or "Chrono Trigger" OSTs on www.bluelaguna.net. Objectively, nostalgia didn't play a factor in my appreciation of the music, just a genuine curiosity. The games are amazing enough on their own, but the soundtracks masterfully manage to weave their unique tales in our minds without visual crutch, but beautiful melodies alone. I'm not aware of many, if any songs in the compendium of musical composition that augment their counterparts so naturally. The respective genres would be.. well, Sakuraba and Mitsuda! Like djpretzel on OCReMix says, videogame music is not a genre, it is a medium through which various genres are represented.
I don't like the Golden Sun soundtrack that much but I'm pretty sure Venus Lighthouse is the best song out of any GBA game.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Sensai said:
Looking for a band similar to Death Cab for Cutie, the Postal Service, Simon & Garfunkle, etc...something lyrically stimulating.

Suggestions?
Ben Gibbard's solo stuff
Nada Surf
The Shins
Bright Eyes
Hellogoodbye (more similar to the Postal Service)

saberhof

Smash Master
Band: Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Album: Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Best songs:
- Free again
- Set sail
- Holding On
- A Pistol to My Temple
- Blood Runs Forever
- The deep end...

too good....

Sensai

Smash Master
Thanks AzN_Lep, I'll look into that.

The Shins I already have and love every bit of it, although they're not, in my mind, all that near what Death Cab or those other bands I mentioned are. [Edit:] I mean no offense here, sorry if I caused it. I mean only to say that that's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that is a bit more poetic, emphasizing more the lyrics and not the music.

I have heard Bright Eyes before, though, and will definitely look into that. Nada Surf, never heard of, but give them a try. Same with Hellogoodbye.

But what all has Ben Gibbard done solo?

saberhof

Smash Master
LOL i main the ice climbers on a music recommendation thread?...pretty odd...

Soad WAS a really good band, but im liking all Serj Tankians songs at the moment, some are pretty good...

saberhof

Smash Master
i knew someone would do that....gj himie lolz

Another band recomended if you like melodic high pitched singing with nice tunes in it:

Band: A Skylit Drive
Album: Wires and The Concept Of Breathing

very nice album...

and for the hardcore fans im guessing you all know this one:

Band: As blood runs Black
Album: Alliegiance

also a very awesome album...

__Lewis__

Smash Cadet
WTF? TOTALLY OFF TOPIC!

Anyhow, SOAD. Best band IMO. Really melodic, but so awesome.
In Your Opinion? Was it a recommendation to anyone? :ohwell:
I'm sure everyone can come on here and claim what their favourite artist is, but I'm pretty sure the point is to recommend a band similar to someone's query. As far as I'm concerned, System of a Down does not compare with Death Cab for Cutie (correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that was the last band suggested for comparison to).
Sure, they can be awesome, but there's a "Favourite Band/Artist" thread elsewhere.

And yes, "I main Ice Climbers" is totally off-topic.

So, Sensai, similar to Death Cab? Have you tried "Blackfield"?
It's a Steven Wilson/Aviv Geffen collaboration. It's a really watered-down pop/progressive band:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DrIqp4vBgP8
Also try the Australian band "George". If you don't mind male/female vocal splits between tracks (i.e each track alternates, one with female, one with male, etc), then check them out:
http://www.myspace.com/georgetheband
Normally, I'd choose a Youtube video, but listen to all the tracks and see what you think.
Finally, a bit of a classic if you will, Jeff Buckley.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1KQXOnXjlIw

Good luck :)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Band name/Artist: Magnetic North
Genre: Rap/Hip Hop
Other Notes: Melodic rap, who knew it existed? Seriously, these guys are talented with meaningful lyrics and great background instrumentals. If you don't generally like rap you'll probably be pleasantly surprised if you give them a chance.
Suggest Songs: So Long, We Will Not Be Moved
Suggested Albums: Magnetic North (self-titled)

Band name/Artist: Nightwish
Genre: Symphonic Power Metal
Other Notes: Epic, that's probably the best word to describe Nightwish. Utilizing a vibrato lead vocalist (operatic for those of us who are not music majors) and orchestral music in addition to insane metal riffs, Nightwish is an interesting listen. If you're Finnish you'll probably know them, but for some reason, they've never gotten a lot of press stateside unless you're already part of the power metal community.
Suggest Songs: Ghost Love Score, She is My Sin, Angels Fall First
Suggested Albums: Wishmaster, Once, Angels Fall First

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EYxw0Sopww

Beautiful, but incredibly depressing, both lyrics and the musical setting. You'll see.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Band Name/Artist: Pinkly Smooth
Genre: Uh..I'm not really sure how to classify them, they're similar to Mr. Bungle anyway.
Suggested Songs: Well...they only ever made 6, but out of those I would recommend McFly
Suggested Album: Only one...Unfortunate Snort.
Other Notes: They're vocalist is Avenged Sevenfold drummer Jimmy Sullivan and guitarist Brian Haner Jr. but they're NOTHING like Avenged Sevenfold.

Check out their myspace to hear some of their songs: www.myspace.com/pinklysmooth

Sensai

Smash Master
Tried out and enjoyed very much so Nada Surf, Blackfield, and Bright Eyes.

Hellogoodbye was definitely not for me. Couldn't find a YouTube of 'George' and the Jeff Buckley seemed a little too...I dunno. It wasn't what I was lookin' for, though.

Thanks to all who helped!

sohel3

Smash Rookie
Band name: Bon jovi
Genre - rock

Band name: Guns N Roses
Genre - Heavy metal

Thay are awesome. Great band man..............6

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
Band name/Artist: Jack McDuff
Album: The Soulful Drums of Joe Dukes
Genre: Blues/Jazz
Other Notes: My grandfather had recommended this album to me, being an ex-jazz musician and all. The entire album is great and shows each musician at their finest. Joe Dukes brings out some insane solos in almost all the songs as well.

Band Name/Artist: Miles Davis
Album: *****es Brew
Genre: Jazz Fusion
Other Notes: It's one of the most important albums in music history, enough said.

Band name/Artist:
Thom Yorke
Album: The Eraser
Genre: Electronic
Other Notes: Current person favorite of mine. Nothing like Radiohead's work. The thing that keep me coming back to this album is that it's relaxing. It's the kind of album you can put on in the background (Maybe while playing Smash? :chuckle:) or falling asleep too.

Band name/Artist: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Album: A Manual Dexterity
Genre: Latin/Jazz/Jam/Progressive Rock/Experimental/Etc.
Other Notes: Omar (From De Facto, At The Drive-In, The Mars Volta fame) has released a lot of work in his career. A Manual Dexterity is the soundtrack to a film he made (Yet to be released). It sounds very similar to his other work but with a little bit more jam. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is the Frank Zappa of the 21st Century.

SmashAura4

Smash Apprentice
Band: Treasure Fingers
Genre: Electronic (or dance, not sure)
Other Notes: There is one song you must listen to, and that's "Cross the Dancefloor". It'll have you moving in no time.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
band name: Pavement
Album: all of them (maybe start with crooked rain crooked rain or slanted and enchanted)
genre: indie rock
other notes: pavement is my favorate band i think of them (love them) as many think of the beatles (they do not sound like the beatles)

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
Band Name: Deltron 3030, Del the Funky Homosapien and Dan the Automator
Album: Deltron 3030
Genre: Concept rap, futurisitc rap
Other Notes: This is one of the greatest concept albums of all time, and possibly one of if not the best rap albums out there. Del's unexpected rhymes will blow your mind while Dan the Automator's futuristic beats will soothe your soul. This album should be a joy to anyone who is a fan of the genre, and should be enough to convert those who arent.

My favorite track:
Positive Contact - Deltron 3030

If you like this sort of thing then I suggest you also check out:
Mad lib, Quasimoto, Kid Koala, People Under the Stairs, Dr. Octagon, Hieroglyphics, MF Doom, A Tribe Called Quest, and the Gorillaz.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Band Name: Hollywood Undead
Genre: Hip Hop/Screamo
Recommended Songs: Dead in Ditches, Sell Your Soul

Anyway, I guarantee you that this band is going to be very famous one day. If they're lyrics weren't so explicit we would probably be hearing them on the radio.

www.myspace.com/hollywoodundead

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Artist Name: T.I.
Genre: Hip Hop/Rap
Recommended Songs: No Matter What, What You Know
Notes: Not very explicit, Nice beats, If your looking for rap lyrics What You Know is where its at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom