• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music City Smash

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I really hope I can go to this one too. You guys are awesome. No I'm not switching mains loltiers is what I do.

Edit: Melee is for suckas

Will_

Smash Journeyman
IC's ∞ should be allowed. DK gets ***** by it but it's the crux of their character.

And melee would be great to have at this one alongside brawl. Since it's a bigger venue we could bring more setups.

Kain17

Smash Cadet
Okay, everyone quit hating on either brawl or melee. They're both great games.
And for the record, brawl is better... >.>

And besides! Everyone who's anyone knows SWR is the best.

TheShadowz

Smash Apprentice
And for the record, brawl is better... >.>

And besides! Everyone who's anyone knows SWR is the best.
Youmu could totally kick MK's ***. she has more range with her sword.

TheShadowz

Smash Apprentice
May... 16?

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Phloat and I can go now!!

*waits for our adoring fans to cheer in ecstasy*

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Now, if Midnight and Reflex and Kismet can't make it, and you allow me and only me to use MK, I think I can nab #1!

>_>
*goes back to tf2gathers*

Milln

Smash Champion
Midnight why you gotta jack mah RemRem. D= Remilia is miiiine. Pfft, whatev. EPIC REMILIA DITTOS, COMMENCE. ... Or I might use Tenshi and peddle crack rocks. XD

New Venue is omega awesome. Setups and hotsauce for everyone.

Kain17

Smash Cadet
what exactly is melty blood? I havent seen it around yet. All I know of is: KoF, MvC2, Brawl, Blazblue, Guilty gear, SWR, SF4, and a few other misc fighting games.

Milln

Smash Champion
I had it on my computer and so did nes n00b, but we never played it at the venue. It's a 2d fighter based on a graphic novel of the same name. Everyone's a demon, vampire, maid, or robot.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
First off, I'm undecided on MK. I've been on both sides at one point, and I sway back and forth as I get more up to date about the community's progression. Lately I've been a bit more pro-ban, and I can't envision myself turning the other way anytime soon, really.

I'm usually not the one to call anyone out, but your post just isn't true in the least bit. Your conclusions are so fallacious or just plain... wrong that I feel forced to say something. Nothing against you personally. I just heavily disagree with you. For now, I'll just tell you the reason smart, intelligent, and good players may want to ban him. It's not because he's "hard" to beat. It's because...

1. He breaks the counterpick system. This game revolves around it. It's what makes this game unique and makes it a fun, healthy game. When you have no bad matchups, the best answer to fight your character is the the character itself. (This isn't the case in Melee! There's a clear matchup triangle in that game!) In the long run, people that want to win will eventually switch to the character that has no bad matchups. This is happening throughout the country... right now.

"Well, Snake, Diddy, and ____ have a good matchup on him. He doesn't break the CP system." This is all debatable, and that's the reason why I can't confidently say I'm on either side. It may be too early to tell... BUT the fact that people keep bringing up matchups that may seem even-ish at the time, and people are regularly shooting down these ideas... it says a lot about the likelihood that these supposedly even matchups are actually even.

Ex. Just a couple days ago on the Diddy boards, a well-known, very respected Diddy main wrote a post about why the MK-Diddy matchup is DEFINITELY not in Diddy's favor. (I can fetch if you wish) It rather proposed that it could be higher than 60-40 in MK's favor provided the MK knows how to use the bananas, which is very realistic.

2. He's EXTREMELY easy to use; there's no question. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, (it was the same case for Sheik in Melee for a while- that's a whole nother story though) but when good players are beating other players of significantly better skill regularly... still!, it's a problem. This makes the transition from ______ to MK that much easier and encouraging. Even against great players, many good players can and have picked up MK and have used him in as little as a couple days and performed much, much better. (I'm not talking about Joe Shmoe beating his friend with MK. I'm talking about at the top level of play. It happens at all levels) Great players want to win more easily and quickly, and MK is by far, the easiest character to use in the game.

3. His moveset is unbelievably good. The speed, range, and laglessness on ALL of his attacks are just too good. He's got the fastest speed to range ratio in the game on nearly all of his attacks, a recovery that is 100% impossible to gimp, single attacks that destroy half the cast (tornado and shuttleloop mostly), etc. I could go on and on. This isn't even mentioning his camping/stalling game (excluding IDC and planking), which most people haven't utilized yet.

Conclusion-
What's worse than all of this is that it isn't/hasn't been getting better. Most characters are drifting farther and farther away (I can name several, and the ones that have made small strides and gotten closer aren't even close to MK to begin with), he is doing better in tourneys, more and more people are switching to him or quitting the game entirely (Ex. Chu's biweeklies are slowly converting to Brawl+ because they're tired of this game), and most importantly and again, people are switching to MK.
my answer to this entire post is Melee Sheik.

no bad matchups---check
extremely easy to use--check
beastly moveset--check
a bunch of people too lazy to learn to fight her so they just ban her instead--

and metaknight is only "easy" to use because people don't bother learning how to fight against him.

I beat people with metaknight by spamming fair, d-smash, and tornado. literally just throwing the moves out at will almost
that's not because the character is OMGBROKE its because people think they can play the same against the best character in teh game and win.

I guarantee you that I'd never beat george, will_, reflex or moogle with my metaknight. I'd lose ten out of ten times. because they know how to play the game, and my mk is terrible.

_MidnighT_

Smash Apprentice
Midnight why you gotta jack mah RemRem. D= Remilia is miiiine. Pfft, whatev. EPIC REMILIA DITTOS, COMMENCE. ... Or I might use Tenshi and peddle crack rocks. XD

New Venue is omega awesome. Setups and hotsauce for everyone.
remilia dittos r full of epic winsauce =o ill get ***** though T_T

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I had it on my computer and so did nes n00b, but we never played it at the venue. It's a 2d fighter based on a graphic novel of the same name. Everyone's a demon, vampire, maid, or robot.
I DID BUT NOT YOU!!!!!!!!!!! It was based on Tsukihime then a manga was released based on the game.

It is a pretty **** happening game. So SWR, Melty Blood, Blazeblu, and Guilty Gear? Could all this and more come true or at least two of them?

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
my answer to this entire post is Melee Sheik.

no bad matchups---check
extremely easy to use--check
beastly moveset--check
a bunch of people too lazy to learn to fight her so they just ban her instead--

and metaknight is only "easy" to use because people don't bother learning how to fight against him.

I beat people with metaknight by spamming fair, d-smash, and tornado. literally just throwing the moves out at will almost
that's not because the character is OMGBROKE its because people think they can play the same against the best character in teh game and win.

I guarantee you that I'd never beat george, will_, reflex or moogle with my metaknight. I'd lose ten out of ten times. because they know how to play the game, and my mk is terrible.
First off your knowledge of Melee is pretty flawed (no offence) Shiek vs Fox is pretty dang one sided toward fox. all she has is Tech chase. Fox can beat her across pretty much anywhere. Marth Beats Fox and Shiek Beats Marth. Falco kinda fights well with all three to an extent. as Does CF and Peach (not so much Marth as the other three). Then there is Ganon Mario Dr.Mario and ICs who have picky match ups. and Jiggs matches well with everyone. (IMO that is)

anyway to the point. there is no Triangle of power in brawl. Either get good with MK or be doomed. I dont want to have to play MK to win. i mean Yeah i play yoshi but still I feel bad about picking Dedede but its the CP system that Smash brothers Thrives upon. and MK destroys that system.

MK is way to good. knowing how to stop him is easy. actually stopping him is the hard part.

And for the record, brawl is better... >.>.
this has made me vomit just a bit.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I'll be working on learning me some Melee but probably at a slow pace since it's not that important. However if some would like I can bring GG:AC for fun times and overdrives. I don't care if MK is banned or not I will get 1st with a loltier eventually... just wait.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Melee is just skill spam. Spamming spacing skills, combo skills, mixup skills. Skill this talent that. It gets old man!

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Melee is just skill spam. Spamming spacing skills, combo skills, mixup skills. Skill this talent that. It gets old man!
hmmm then what is brawl?

Runrunrunrun throw something runrunrunrunrun throw something sit in one spot campcampcampcampcampcamp bbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbb b.
No skill, Little need for spacing, and B spam. ahhhh yeah

oh edit: in my flaming fit i forgot to mention that we cannot do the tourney on the 16th. its gonna have to be the 30th

-Chad-

Slackerator
My potsplit for my triweeklies is

1st- 50%
2nd- 30%
3rd- 15%
4th- 5%

I will ALWAYS argue that 4th should get something, they didn't tie with anyone else and went very very far. For them to not get anything is crazy in my opinion.

o shi date change on me...
Could be problematic since our tri-weekly after next will be 30th if schedule continues.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
hmmm then what is brawl?

Runrunrunrun throw something runrunrunrunrun throw something sit in one spot campcampcampcampcampcamp bbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbb b.
No skill, Little need for spacing, and B spam. ahhhh yeah

oh edit: in my flaming fit i forgot to mention that we cannot do the tourney on the 16th. its gonna have to be the 30th
If you didn't know I was kidding.. lul. That doesn't work in brawl or melee, B moves aren't that good >_>. Cept against ganon, lulganon.

Its all good.

Anyways, wdf? I was all exited, learning a non MK main.. but noooooo, we move the tournament back to when I can't play.

-_-.
My potsplit for my triweeklies is

1st- 50%
2nd- 30%
3rd- 15%
4th- 5%

I will ALWAYS argue that 4th should get something, they didn't tie with anyone else and went very very far. For them to not get anything is crazy in my opinion.

o shi date change on me...
Could be problematic since our tri-weekly after next will be 30th if schedule continues.
I concur.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I have been playing this game wrong all this time. I don't spam enough skill. :urg:

In Melty Blood, you can spam 2a. So yeah side tourney for that cause I push things like this on people.

Edit: I am bring it and a few burned ISOs for people who asked for it. ^_^

Top Bottom