• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music City Smash

Milln

Smash Champion
You shouldn't be able to time out someone in a fighting game unless it is based on stamina.

loloneofbrawlsmanyflaws.
...WHat are you talking about? That's just biased.

For the record, nearly every other fighting game is based on stamina(A life bar) and they all have timers. I realize that's what you're saying, but Brawl isn't really any different. The percentage is nearly equivalent to stamina. The only things that are different is that it's not really a fighting game and you have eight or seven minutes instead of like... a minute or a minute and a half for standard fighters, making it even more difficult to time out on, considering most matches for Brawl are complete in 4 minutes or under. Heck, Melee had a timer, too and people timed out on those matches.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion

For the record, nearly every other fighting game is based on stamina(A life bar) and they all have timers. I realize that's what you're saying, but Brawl isn't really any different. The percentage is nearly equivalent to stamina. The only things that are different is that it's not really a fighting game and you have eight or seven minutes instead of like... a minute or a minute and a half for standard fighters, making it even more difficult to time out on, considering most matches for Brawl are complete in 4 minutes or under. Heck, Melee had a timer, too and people timed out on those matches.
Ok just so you know. There are like 1/10000 matches in Melee that time out. The closest ive ever got to timing out was a match i Played as Young Link vs a Sheik on Rainbow Cruise. I won with 45 secs left on the clock. Brawl has way to many cases where Time out was a problem.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
So yeah.
Who wants Melee mms at this baby?
Don't be shy.
If you win you get your money.
If I win you donate to this charity thing... that it doesn't look like KO has mentioned yet. Oh well.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
In other news, I think I might try and learn to plank. I recall a post DanGR made, about it being beatable and he doesn't care if someone does it to him..

Afraid of *****ing from others, but i think trying it on someone open-minded on the matter will be fun, and I will learn some stuff.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
I don't think planking an olimar is anywhere near as successful on such people like say.... Falco.

I'll do melee mm's. I'll get wrecked in the process, but atleast I'll be playing somebody in melee other than lvl. 9 cpu's

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Fall -> U-air owns pikmanz.

I don't mean make a game plan out of it, just learn to do it decently and employ it as an option. I have been playing some olimars online (****ing school, sports, and ****ing state location, its the best I have) and doing decently.

I also watched DSF's ability to press the B button against some olimar. >_>

Fun matchup, anywhoo. Hard for MK to get in, and Olimar can dish out some defensive damage.. but getting him off his feet is a looooot of damage, possibly a kill.

I plan to do better this time =P. I practiced MK dittos at RC and the nuetrels, and was prepared to play Midnight.. and he goes Diddy. Im like, "Its ok, I know this matchup too"

*Gets ******

MK ditto I won in tournament matches

He went back Diddy and we went very close, until his last stock where he went ape and beat the crap outta me. I have been learning the DDK matchups, although I get no good practice at all.

Should be another good tournament.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
So heres the deal. I wanna make this Monthly a Charity event for the people in murfreesboro who lost their homes and some even lost family members.

the Venue fee will be 8 dollars
4 for venue and 4 for red cross
Milln, IHSB, and myself will be taking Charity MMs
Milln and I in brawl
and IHSB and I in melee. (probably Chad in melee too)

you win you get money We win money goes to charity.
You should talk to your parents about donating too. Anything helps.

This kinda puts a damper on SWR cause i really wanna do this and there will be no time for SWR. I would suggest trying to have it at another event or we can gather together at my place after wards fo everyone can play.

nintendoboyyy22

Smash Journeyman

Dude, I am not biased.

I am getting tired of people going back to the same ole "It's a different game than Melee." Well, no s*** Sherlock. Doesn't make it better though, does it?

Honestly, if you look at the game as a whole, one single flaw creates the majority of flaws for the entire game.

And remember, while I'm explaining this, this is a FIGHTING game. FIGHTING. It may be a party game as well, but you are FIGHTING each other.

When you first start a match, do the first few attacks usually get blocked? Yes. How does the opponent get an attack in? By abusing you out of his shield.

This contradicts the point of a fighting game - Aggression and combos. In Brawl there is neither. No hitstun creates a defensive mindset in each player that every attack you get in is simply punishing a flaw that your opponent did.

Yes, this is alot of Melee, as well, but if you are punishing their mistakes, it's not in the same way. It is by reading your opponents' strategies, DI, and aggression to put the other player at edge.

If defense is the mindset of a fighting game, then it shouldn't be classified as one. This is why I oppose Brawl+ as well, because the core engine was NOT designed for aggression. You are essentially taking a game and making it into a half baked copy cat of a game that gets it right, and gets it right WAYYYYY better than the latest installment.

Yes, Brawl takes skill, but honestly, if any of us practiced as long as some of the pros do, we would be on their level in a second. This game gives no room for improvement, because the same basic priciples apply, punish out of shield.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Dude, I am not biased.

I am getting tired of people going back to the same ole "It's a different game than Melee." Well, no s*** Sherlock. Doesn't make it better though, does it?

Honestly, if you look at the game as a whole, one single flaw creates the majority of flaws for the entire game.

And remember, while I'm explaining this, this is a FIGHTING game. FIGHTING. It may be a party game as well, but you are FIGHTING each other.

When you first start a match, do the first few attacks usually get blocked? Yes. How does the opponent get an attack in? By abusing you out of his shield.

This contradicts the point of a fighting game - Aggression and combos. In Brawl there is neither. No hitstun creates a defensive mindset in each player that every attack you get in is simply punishing a flaw that your opponent did.

Yes, this is alot of Melee, as well, but if you are punishing their mistakes, it's not in the same way. It is by reading your opponents' strategies, DI, and aggression to put the other player at edge.

If defense is the mindset of a fighting game, then it shouldn't be classified as one. This is why I oppose Brawl+ as well, because the core engine was NOT designed for aggression. You are essentially taking a game and making it into a half baked copy cat of a game that gets it right, and gets it right WAYYYYY better than the latest installment.

Yes, Brawl takes skill, but honestly, if any of us practiced as long as some of the pros do, we would be on their level in a second. This game gives no room for improvement, because the same basic priciples apply, punish out of shield.
Hi I'm Kokingpin and I approve this message. (except the Brawl+ Part. If someone knows how to design games and takes something and makes in better then it becomes a new game with a new mindset)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Dude, I am not biased.
yuhhuh
doesn't make it worse either
only if you're biased
agreed
When you first start a match, do the first few attacks usually get blocked? Yes.
um, sometimes...
How does the opponent get an attack in? By abusing you out of his shield.
Um, sometimes...what?
This contradicts the point of a fighting game - Aggression and combos.
WEEEOOOOO WEEEOOOO OPINION PRESENTED AS IF IT WERE FACT ALERT
In Brawl there is neither. No hitstun creates a defensive mindset in each player that every attack you get in is simply punishing a flaw that your opponent did.

Yes, this is alot of Melee, as well, but if you are punishing their mistakes, it's not in the same way.
It is by reading your opponents' strategies, DI, and aggression to put the other player at edge.
This is enlightening to me. The whole time I've been playing brawl I've been reading my opponents strategies, DIing, being aggressive, and forcing my opponent to the ledge. I've been doing it all wrong.
Yes, Brawl takes skill, but honestly, if any of us practiced as long as some of the pros do, we would be on their level in a second.
I personally challenge you to get on M2K's level "in a second". I will personally give you $1000 if you win (or even get top 3) a national-level tournament within the next few months (which should be enough time since barlw takes no skill to get good at)
This game gives no room for improvement, because the same basic priciples apply, punish out of shield.
I don't even know what "punish out of shield" means? You mean make your opponent not block so you can hit them? Um...ever played any game ever?

o hai there tennessee

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
In other news, I think I might try and learn to plank. I recall a post DanGR made, about it being beatable and he doesn't care if someone does it to him..

Afraid of *****ing from others, but i think trying it on someone open-minded on the matter will be fun, and I will learn some stuff.
The reason planking is stupid isn't because it's hard to beat. It's relatively simple to interrupt and/or beat.

The reason it's stupid is because it's stalling.

Which is, you know, banned.

oh btw, Been playing brawl almost nonstop since about 1 A.M on the day it came out. and have to date, never won or lost a match due to time out in a live match. and have lost one online due to time out due to a person who was stalling the match (which is banned in tournaments)

Also I've seen time outs relatively WAY more in melee than in Brawl. especially since i've seen like maybe four brawl time outs total in the year its been out. you guys must have never seen jiggs dittos on dreamland.

and now that I think of it, how the **** is anyone timing out in brawl matches. 7 minutes? the only way that's possible is if you completely suck at the game and have no concept of move decay, you are stalling really hard, or you are playing on a dumb stage

-Chad-

Slackerator
Uh no offense janitor but I've only ever had a time out against me one time at Event52 and I rarely see any time outs on Melee.

Within a month of playing brawl I had many close to time out and at least 2 or 3 time outs. Myself vs Nite had 4 seconds left on the clock one match long ago, both of us usually pretty aggressive players.

This throughout my ENTIRE playing of melee.

It's like a lot of people in brawl play the way Iori plays in melee, which causes the matches to time out more often. I mean sure it's effective.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Well sure... punishing punishable moves has always been an aspect of fighting games... If I base my street fighter gameplay around guarding dragon punches and then punishing them, does that mean I'm doing it wrong? No. It means you're being predictable with your dragon punches.

So next time someone is shielding... use moves that can't be punished OOS and have to be predicted. This is kind of hard with characters like captain falcon, but characters like Marth can do it simply by spacing. In fact, most good characters have plenty of safe options against a shield.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Man. I wish I could come to this to help donate to that charity thing. Srsly...I'm a big sucker for charity events =/

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Zom~B and Jack are right about the OOS thing. ex. Marth fair's a shielding MK, MK UpB's out of shield immediately.

Nboy if you don't like brawl then don't play it. Then you might not talk about it on a forum board which in turn would probably save u some stress. Forum boards are for bro love and funny gifs. And epic traps.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
xD Extreme homo for Jack.

And here is your SS Phelps gif as promised.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Argh jack.

Argh...

Anyway....I think we'll be at this for the charity aspect.

I'll take mm's in brawl and melee, win against me and get moneys, lose against me and give to charity. Either way you'll feel great!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Uh no offense janitor but I've only ever had a time out against me one time at Event52 and I rarely see any time outs on Melee.

Within a month of playing brawl I had many close to time out and at least 2 or 3 time outs. Myself vs Nite had 4 seconds left on the clock one match long ago, both of us usually pretty aggressive players.

This throughout my ENTIRE playing of melee.

It's like a lot of people in brawl play the way Iori plays in melee, which causes the matches to time out more often. I mean sure it's effective.
well we've had different experiences. "within a month" of playing brawl, none of us knew how to play the game and we thought it was normal to live to 160% every stock (some wiitard anti-brawl people still think its normal)...but even so I've never had a time out happen. maybe i just play with people who like to have fun.

I'm pretty sure punish out of shield means wait for an attack, shield it, then shield drop into whatever.
Oh.
well either way its still incorrect and over simplified.
its weird too because nintendoboyy plays marth, who's playstyle is the complete antithesis of "shield, drop shield, punish".

sigh I wish people would just say, "i personally dislike brawl because it has gameplay elements that dont appeal to me" instead of 'OMGZ BARLW IS A BAD, NON COMPETITIVE GAME AND U R STUPID 4 PLAYEING IT AN IF U TINK ITS GUD U R RONG" and making up ridiculous arguments to back that ridiculous point.

anywayz...i may be at this tournament, i'm not sure whats going on...have to see if other AL ppl are going

Milln

Smash Champion

Hahahahhahahahahahaha Oh my god. XD

I busted out laughing. I don't even feel like arguing. Everyone wins when Will_ is involved.

XD

To confirm, yes, i'll be doing Charity matches in Brawl for Charity.
If I can get SWR going, i'll be doing special Charity matches because I'm much more confident in that.

Special Scarlet Weather Rhapsody Charity Match Geared For Extra Enticement!
Any amount.
Any "Best Of #Games" setting (2 out of 3, 3 out of 5, 5 out of 7, whatev)
I win, your money goes to charity.
You win, you get triple what the amount agreed upon was.

Sound tasty? You'll be going against my Remilia. I don't hold back for charity. <3

Winnar

Smash Lord
I dunno I tend to live to like 160% on average.

Maybe I'm just too pro at DI.

Also there is a slim possibility I might be coming to this.

If I do I'm totally jumping on this charity MM thing.

j00t

Smash Champion
I would possibly come to this except my birthday is on the 25th, and my parents would probably want me here instead of there.

nintendoboyyy22

Smash Journeyman
If I wasted my life like M2K everyday practicing a (****ty) VIDEO game, I would shoot myself right between the eyes.

Srsly, school, friends, and baseball are my top priorities. The only reason I feel obliged to come to this thing is because of the charity involved. I live near the community, and one of my baseball coach's house got DESTROYED in the tornado.

This tournament is on the one day I have the day off, so I might as well take advantage of it so I can help out my fellow Americans in their time of need.

There are honestly much more important things on my mind right now.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
well first off and foremost there is no arguement that Melee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brawl. AND that brawl takes relatively no time to get good (not great) at. NB if you knew anything about M2K you would know that he doesnt even play Brawl unless its in tournament. He plays Melee.

T1J you and I both know the Strategies to brawl are few and Far between. Space a hit so you don't get shield grabs, oh wait they have a Tether grab so ill hit behind their shield. Unless you are Lucario. You get punished for being aggro. Bad. You play snake therefore you NEVER play aggro in Brawl. you pull a stupid grenade and wait. OR you can DCUS thus kinda running away at the same time. Time outs happen in brawl all the time and I have then happen to me on almost a daily basis cause i play against a Character who kinda goes for that. Ive seen ONE almost time out in Melee. It was a Shiek ditto on Corneria and it was the stupidest most unexciting match ive ever watched. Needle camp camp Needle needle camp camp camp needle(s) camp some more. I was really just like brawl. OH YEAH and about the punish out of shield thing. (Its also the reason yoshi kinda sucks and im bitter) the only defense against punishing out of the shield you have is to Jab and that's not even a guarantee Ive never played a fighting game where i could still get grabbed after i punched you in the face. Unless you are Zangief which is kinda OK cause he IS the Russian Red Cyclone. Ok i think im done.

oh And Planking is VERY Stupid. You would wanna punch someone in the Face if they did it to you just like the rest of us Phloat.

PS i <3 Jack and Will for the awesome sauce added to the thread.

Srsly, school, friends, and baseball are my top priorities.
No johns
The only reason I feel obliged to come to this thing is because of the charity involved. I live near the community, and one of my baseball coach's house got DESTROYED in the tornado.
You may John now.

Alrgureth

Smash Journeyman
I'm really growing tired of the whole Melee/Brawl BS. Here's a simple solution, play the one you wanna play! I realize this is a difficult concept. But it is something that can be done.

The long-running argument of Melee vs Brawl across the vast internet is really growing quite old. Melee is fast-paced, has a variety of techs, and focuses on being offensive and whatnot. If you like that stuff, play that. I personally don't. Others don't as well.

If you prefer a slower approach, with floatiness and not as much techs etc, a bit of a more defensive "wait for an opening" approach, but there's still some deep stuff to learn, play Brawl. I'm an aerial fanatic. And the floatiness for emphasis on that has made me feel right at home with Brawl.

TLDR: Screw it. Play what you want.

I don't feel like jumping into a debate. So don't argue at me for having an opinion. Just my 2 cents.

In other news, I'm really excited for the tourney. School next week will drag on sooo slow...

j00t

Smash Champion
Playing friendlies at Brawl tourneys EVERY **** WEEK OF YOUR WASTED LIFE isssss practicing.

lol.
What point are you trying to prove here? Randomly coming in here to laugh at others for committing to something they love to do makes you look like an immature buttwanker.

It really makes you look stupid when you frequent a VIDEO GAME FORUM and TALK ABOUT GOING TO A VIDEO GAME TOURNAMENT WHILE LAUGHING AT OTHERS FOR PRACTICING FOR THE TOURNAMENT. It's like you're making pre-johns for coming in last for this tournament or something. I could just laugh at you and make a bunch of arguments about how baseball is a waste of life and how you should play football instead, but I won't because it's something that you love to do.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will be upset seeing an elitist jerk like yourself at this tournament.

/jk... or am I? i might be, but you'll never know

Heh, this is funny.

nintendoboyyy22

Smash Journeyman
What point are you trying to prove here? Randomly coming in here to laugh at others for committing to something they love to do makes you look like an immature buttwanker.

It really makes you look stupid when you frequent a VIDEO GAME FORUM and TALK ABOUT GOING TO A VIDEO GAME TOURNAMENT WHILE LAUGHING AT OTHERS FOR PRACTICING FOR THE TOURNAMENT. It's like you're making pre-johns for coming in last for this tournament or something. I could just laugh at you and make a bunch of arguments about how baseball is a waste of life and how you should play football instead, but I won't because it's something that you love to do.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will be upset seeing an elitist jerk like yourself at this tournament.

/jk... or am I? i might be, but you'll never know

Heh, this is funny.
It's pretty sad when your "passion" in life is something that will never get you anywhere in life. I can't imagine M2K playing this game at age 35, sorry.

And maybe M2K isn't a good example. Maybe a good example is Inui, someone who is an MK tier ***** who cries when he loses and doesn't give anyone else any credit for being good at a terrible game.

Meh, I also find it funny how you are calling me out like I'm some noob when I almost won the first tournament which consisted of 45 (48?) participants. Pardon me if I am offending you, but I didn't know you are on par with Ally or someone of that caliber and will beat me upon first glance.

Actually, I probably won't come to this because of other things, but if I do, you will find I am a very nice guy in person. Too bad everyone else is so into video games and can't see things in a real world perspective. People play competitive multiplayer games so much they turn into zombies, srsly.

j00t

Smash Champion
It's pretty sad when your "passion" in life is something that will never get you anywhere in life. I can't imagine M2K playing this game at age 35, sorry.

And maybe M2K isn't a good example. Maybe a good example is Inui, someone who is an MK tier ***** who cries when he loses and doesn't give anyone else any credit for being good at a terrible game.

Meh, I also find it funny how you are calling me out like I'm some noob when I almost won the first tournament which consisted of 45 (48?) participants. Pardon me if I am offending you, but I didn't know you are on par with Ally or someone of that caliber and will beat me upon first glance.

Actually, I probably won't come to this because of other things, but if I do, you will find I am a very nice guy in person. Too bad everyone else is so into video games and can't see things in a real world perspective. People play competitive multiplayer games so much they turn into zombies, srsly.
But Inui is pretty bad at this game, no joke

:p

Milln

Smash Champion
Too bad everyone else is so into video games and can't see things in a real world perspective. People play competitive multiplayer games so much they turn into zombies, srsly.
I just wanna correct this bit, then i'm back to SSJ Michael Phelps.

I get upset when others put down what someone likes to do because they feel like it's a waste or they "have no life." Who cares what society thinks constitutes what they call a "real life"? If it's something you truly enjoy doing, like playing video games, it doesn't matter if it won't further your status in life. That's why it's called a hobby. People collect stamps, bottle caps, baseball cards, toasters(yes), pennies, quarters. Some people play tennis. Other demographics play hackey sack, take scenery photographs or just peoplewatch.

I absolutely love video games, they've always been a part of my life and probably always will be. I doubt neither me nor M2K (or anyone else for that matter) will be playing Brawl by the time we're 35. Something new and better and more exciting and innovative will be out by then. I can't really speak for him, but I bet M2K loves video games on a similar level that I do. Also, your opinion that "it won't get us anywhere in life" is silly, too.

First, there's the innate benefit from playing video games: hand-eye coordination, problem solving, instant thinking, reaction time, prediction, mathematics, reading/vocabularity enhancement, etc.
Second, there's the bonuses from playing it on a competitive level. You learn how to focus on a goal properly to achieve a result that you want, in most cases this is victory in a tournament.
Third, there's the obvious bonus of winning those tournaments which is usually a good size monetary prize or some form of swag. I don't need to explain how this can possibly "further your status in life".

Fourth, and this is the main reason I've decided to go competitive, is that at these tournaments are a large number of people that you can meet and connect with and share experiences with. I've made so many friends since I started playing video games and even more when I started entering competitions. Competitive gaming is the only reason I met KO Kingpin and pretty much all my other current friends. It all stemmed from connecting with people that I meet. Being able to have a huge pool of a friends and associates and people to hang out with is amazing, especially when it continually grows the more tournaments you go to or the more you engage with the community of your game(s) of choice. KO is probably one of my best friends now and has definitely helped me out when I've had a few depressing moments. Heck, that's also why I carry around my signature book. To log the aliases of everyone I meet. If you can say that meeting hundreds of new people and enjoying the experiences of large events and mingling.. then... just... wow, you're dumb. To say that any sort of hobby or task or whatever people like to do and call their "passion" in life is stupid and "won't get them anywhere in life" is an incredibly close-minded statement. Heck, even this time we're touching the lives of other people by giving winnings to charity so we can help out tornado victims. Wow, man. Enjoy your high school baseball team of nine players. I'll enjoy travelling across the nation and maybe the world meeting all kinds of people.

Top Bottom