• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Because we don’t need to bloat the roster by splitting up characters who could work easily as a team.
But we should squander the potential of characters who can work just fine independently? And you're not exactly saving all that many resources if you still have to model, rig and create unique hitboxes for two separate characters... and then put them together as one unit. Even though hypothetically they share a moveset. Compare to the PPG - realistically, like the Ice Climbers, you're probably copy pasting one model and adjusting it slightly between the three girls. Ice Climbers, they have the same attacks and stats.

Mordecai and Rigby are decidedly not that. So what are they going to do then? Rigby isn't a prop like Jerry. And they are likely not to stay conjoined like Ren & Stimpy are in NASB or something. Sure, Rigby can theoretically perch up on Mordecai's shoulders but then what? The two are shown fighting independent from one another, or against one another, many times throughout the course of the show. They have different tactics, different personalities, they both more in characteristic ways or have dynamic design traits to inform a greater moveset.

In any case, regardless of what you would rather they do, I'm going off existing precedent. Several series have been introduced into the game in groups of two. By the same logic you could have made Finn and Jake a team... but MVS didn't do that. You could have done it, with Jake stretching out of Finn's backpack and/or transforming into a Jake Suit. But instead they opted to flesh the two out independently, no doubt in part to emphasize their 2v2 system by allowing two halves of an iconic duo to be separately playable for mixing and matching team-ups. Forget about roster "bloat". This is a live service game and this roster is going to get bloated whether you like it or not. The sooner we can stop looking at it as a matter of slots, the better.

But if you have a really clear vision of how Mordecai and Rigby would work as a team character, I'm willing to hear it out. I just think this idea of tacking characters together is bred more from laziness and fear of one character taking time from another. Frankly, if you're upset that a separate Rigby is taking time away from another character, you're probably just going to have to get over it. We're definitely going to see more duos added this way down the line.

Like the current cope with Tweety (besides him being "awful" if he is solo, i disagree) is that he should be with sylvester, which tbh, that's just rehashing Tom and Jerry. At the very least, Catdog, ren and stimpy and Angry beavers worked completely different in NASB.
And also, NASB is a different game than Multiversus. NASB putting these duos together works to the framework of that game, whereas MVS has that deliberate emphasis on co-op team battles. I'm confident if Ren & Stimpy were in Multiversus, we'd have probably seen them as separate characters.

If anything i think them being a duo can work a lot better then singling out one of the other as a seperate fighter because their moveset wouldn't look amazing, atleast to my opinion.
That's fair, although I'm convinced a Rigby moveset would be very fresh. Playing into his identity as a racoon, he's a rascally little scavenger and I think you can build a fair bit of unique moves off of his personality that way. He scurries along the ground, hambones you, drops a trampoline on stage and can angle himself off it to put the hurt on you. And then the aforementioned death kwon-do (they both have this), the baby ducks training (they took after Rigby specifically), and the Power (which Rigby stole, and sent items to the moon with).

Mordecai I'm not super convinced of yet, but Morty pulls out a lot of random BS too so it's not as if MVS is above scrapping something together for the sake of completing the team. I like that Morty is here, he should be, but I do think his moveset is a little unorganized. Maybe a bit pessimistic but this is pretty much how I imagine Mordecai being designed too, just pulling out a lot of random props from the show. Maybe he's got the golf cart, I dunno.

It's not exactly that I don't think Mordecai and Rigby could work as a team. They could. I just don't think Multiversus is the kind of game that will do this. And particularly if the concern is roster bloat, I just think it's a waste of time to try and combat that.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Mordecai and Rigby should be a duo character.
i can agree with you on that, minus the bloating part i just think Mordecai & Rigby can work as a duo mostly because they both have a lot of stuff they do together in their show that it would work better to emulate that with the two being together as a team without trying to make one look like a prop towards the other.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Does that include different difficulties

Huh, now there is incentive to get all starts after getting cauldron. That's dope actually

Ivander

Smash Legend
Might actually be possible to complete the battle pass now lol
It's always been possible. There's like, 35 days left for the pass, and I'm at 45 on the Battle Pass right now. Aside from 1 day where I played all day working on Top Dog and got almost 4 levels for the Battlepass, all of my other levels were from Dailies, Weeklies and Events. Depending on if this new update for Rifts and Battle Pass XP goes live now or soon, I'll probably be Level 49 when I log in later.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
It's always been possible. There's like, 35 days left for the pass, and I'm at 45 on the Battle Pass right now. Aside from 1 day where I played all day working on Top Dog and got almost 4 levels for the Battlepass, all of my other levels were from Dailies, Weeklies and Events. Depending on if this new update for Rifts and Battle Pass XP goes live now or soon, I'll probably be Level 49 when I log in later.
I'm joking . I just haven't had much free time

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think Mordecai & Rigby have a case were they both could work together as a duo really well, they're best friends and do a lot of the stuff together such as Death Kwan-Do, are the pilots of the Baby Ducks Mech, Save the end of the universe, and played the power together too.

If anything i think them being a duo can work a lot better then singling out one of the other as a seperate fighter because their moveset wouldn't look amazing, atleast to my opinion.
Look, if they can figure out a way to split Rick and Morty into two separate characters, they can very easily do the same with Mordecai and Rigby.

Quite frankly, I think stapling Mordecai and Rigby together sounds both very boring and also unfair to the characters and their fans because, again, Finn and Jake get to be their own characters. Ricky and Morty get to be their own characters. They're not going to make an exception for Mordecai and Rigby just because.

It only works so well for Tom and Jerry because the concept of a moveset of the two fighting each other and just happening to damage the opponent as well was more true to the characters than a separate Tom and Jerry teaming up, plus Jerry being so small made it easy to turn him into a prop/puppet for Tom. And frankly, I'm pretty anxious to see how it'll be implemented with the PPG because they're in my top three most wanted (and I wanted them to be separate). If they're Duck Hunt-ing it up it's goin to look dumb as hell.

Because we don’t need to bloat the roster by splitting up characters who could work easily as a team.
Well in that case, let's cram Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman into a single slot and call it "Justice League". Let's mash Shaggy and Velma together and call it "Mystery Inc."
It's a live service game. There are no "slot limits" they can put in as many characters as they want. Mordecai and Rigby being separated isn't going to bloat up a roster that's already promising to infinitely expand as long as it's able to.

I don't have anything against duo fighters when they make sense (and they rarely ever do), but people get so much tunnel vision when they insist a duo of characters has to be glued together into a single character because and only because "there's two of them".

Last edited:
Angry Beavers made sense together and would've been a little dumb separate. Mordecai and Rigby though? Come on now lol. They have distinct designs and are fairly independent in the show. I feel like it'd be very unfair since Finn and Jake worked just as well together (if not better than Mordecai and Rigby entirely since Finn and Jake have more team ups and combos) yet they're separate just fine.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Angry Beavers made sense together and would've been a little dumb separate. Mordecai and Rigby though? Come on now lol. They have distinct designs and are fairly independent in the show. I feel like it'd be very unfair since Finn and Jake worked just as well together (if not better than Mordecai and Rigby entirely since Finn and Jake have more team ups and combos) yet they're separate just fine.
I wanted Rigny riding on mordecai’s back.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I've watched Regular Show. Every episode. I know how they work. I also know what's best for the roster and how to get the most out of each inclusion without bloating it with too many characters from one particular franchise. So how about you all just stop insisting you're right and stop telling me how stupid I am for knowing what's best for the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've watched Regular Show. Every episode. I know how they work. I also know what's best for the roster and how to get the most out of each inclusion without bloating it with too many characters from one particular franchise. So how about you all just stop insisting you're right and stop telling me how stupid I am for knowing what's best for the game.
This is either a troll post or an incredibly bad case of lacking self-awareness.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It's a live service game. There are no "slot limits" they can put in as many characters as they want. Mordecai and Rigby being separated isn't going to bloat up a roster that's already promising to infinitely expand as long as it's able to.
I disagree with this notion. Yes, in theory there are unlimited slots, but as previously mentioned this game has not proven itself to be the guaranteed money printing machine that Fortnite is; they can shut it down anytime. And with an extremely negative first impression, a lot of people are already gone. Their press is really negative. Until it's pretty much universally recognized as a solid and stable experience, we should consider each spot part of a limited lineup because the clock is ticking on how much time they have to pull it around. They're doing an admirable job so far, but the fact it was even allowed to release in this state is a frightening view of things to potentially come.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Ah, the unwelcome return of the separate vs together discussions. Haven't heard that since the Angry Beavers in the NASB thread.
I didn't start it this time at least!

Okay Dad.

Seriously, where do you get off?
Since when does Rigby ride on Mordecai's back, even in the show? How would they even fight like that? What would Rigby even be doing? You gotta be trolling or something, man, there's no way you think such a lame way to represent these two is what's "best for the game",
Even then, TWO characters from Regular Show is too much? TWO characters from one show is going to bloat a potential roster of hundreds? We might as well take out all the DC and Looney Tunes characters! There's too many!

I disagree with this notion. Yes, in theory there are unlimited slots, but as previously mentioned this game has not proven itself to be the guaranteed money printing machine that Fortnite is; they can shut it down anytime. And with an extremely negative first impression, a lot of people are already gone. Their press is really negative. Until it's pretty much universally recognized as a solid and stable experience, we should consider each spot part of a limited lineup because the clock is ticking on how much time they have to pull it around. They're doing an admirable job so far, but the fact it was even allowed to release in this state is a frightening view of things to potentially come.
Yes fine, but this doesn't mean they should go cramming characters together to save room.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i mean if you're making a case for Mordecai & Rigby being a duo are you trying to make a good case for it? cause it mostly sounds you are complaining about something that isn't even a problem nor are you presenting a good argument for the two being a duo fighter.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Before I head to bed, I thought I would mention to wait until after 12 Est time before turning on Multiversus because the Batman/Joker event had that issue where those who were playing before the event happened did not get the missions from the event, hence the team had the event extended for one more day.
There's the new Jason event with the Tom & Jerry skin happening tomorrow, so I thought I'd just give a heads up to wait until after 12 EST before starting up Multiversus just in case.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I liked how this rift used Steven. The first four didn't have him at all, so I was a little worried the devs didn't care about him. Seeing him get the spotlight was kinda nice - and presumably he's going to be important in that comic so that's nice too.

The boss lineup in this game is hilarious, by the way. We have...
  • Joker in a Balloon
  • Literally just Stripe
  • Jason but he turns into lava sometimes
  • Dexter in a mech
  • Watermelon Steven
I don't really care I just think it's funny.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Before I head to bed, I thought I would mention to wait until after 12 Est time before turning on Multiversus because the Batman/Joker event had that issue where those who were playing before the event happened did not get the missions from the event, hence the team had the event extended for one more day.
There's the new Jason event with the Tom & Jerry skin happening tomorrow, so I thought I'd just give a heads up to wait until after 12 EST before starting up Multiversus just in case.
It's super annoying that they don't add those missions the same time daily missions get reset.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This last Rift might be my favorite in terms of writing.

I think Multiversus's humor-heavy style really shines when characters goof together for a party rather than just follow villains/McGuffins. The rest of the story is perfectly serviceable as well but I hope we do get more ones like this.

Also, I'm just happy Reindog was relevant lmao

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If I learned anything from the current story presented in Multiversus, it’s that Stripe ****ed everything up from the beginning.

I also know what's best for the roster and how to get the most out of each inclusion without bloating it with too many characters from one particular franchise. So how about you all just stop insisting you're right and stop telling me how stupid I am for knowing what's best for the game.
Tony? Is that you?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
still no switch port. well at this point i figured odds were better for switch 2 anyway
I thought there was a good reason to not be on the Switch considering it’s home to its main competition :p

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I thought there was a good reason to not be on the Switch considering it’s home to its main competition :p
I think that's a silly reason, especially with it being free to play I'm sure there would be a decent player base on Switch. Like, imagine if Ubisoft games didn't released on Playstation because Sony have their own open world franchise. I don't get this idea that Nintendo must be the exclusive holder of platform fighters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
New patch out.

It’s a super quick one.
Doesn’t Harley Quinn have no emotes?

I think that's a silly reason, especially with it being free to play I'm sure there would be a decent player base on Switch. Like, imagine if Ubisoft games didn't released on Playstation because Sony have their own open world franchise. I don't get this idea that Nintendo must be the exclusive holder of platform fighters.
Rivals of Aether, Brawlout, Brawlhalla, Roof Rage, and both Nick All-Star games are on the platform, and we're confirmed to get a Fraymakers port at some point too
I should’ve done a :4pacman: to indicate sarcasm. I know it’s likely current hardware limitations.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And both NASB games are on the Switch, which debunks the argument that "Nintendo doesn't want any other platform fighters on their console because they would take sales away from Super Smash Bros".

Top Bottom