• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Here's PapaGeno's Leak Matrix, while we're on the discussion.
View attachment 391313
Scooby and Dexter are almost assuredly two of them (Dexter has his stage, and there have been Scooby hints all through the beta). The last two slots could either be Gandalf and Daffy being given character IDs instead of their codename, but if that's not the case - I'm thinking Hermione and Green Lantern.
worth noting genos has said several times he knows about characters not on this list, so there's always unknowns in play

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I remember thinking it was really weird they had added in Rick and Morty at the height of their popularity and nobody really talked about them.
I mean one of these characters is Morty, was anyone actually clamoring for him to be in? People like Rick a lot (maybe a little too much) but Morty's usually just seen as an accessory for Rick's wackiness and crazy adventures. He's a straight man by comparison to Rick's zaniness, so naturally that would translate to more interest for the one more likely to have the interesting moveset

Personally speaking I just don't like Morty's kit very much, it's really unintuitive and seems like it's weird to try and make him stand out more. He also looks weird in 3D

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean one of these characters is Morty, was anyone actually clamoring for him to be in? People like Rick a lot (maybe a little too much) but Morty's usually just seen as an accessory for Rick's wackiness and crazy adventures. He's a straight man by comparison to Rick's zaniness, so naturally that would translate to more interest for the one more likely to have the interesting moveset

Personally speaking I just don't like Morty's kit very much, it's really unintuitive and seems like it's weird to try and make him stand out more. He also looks weird in 3D
Morty ended up scoring in the top twenty on the big discord poll before he got in. He was definitely a popular request, though considering we knew we'd be getting Rick since the game first leaked, that may have played a role.

It's Rick and Morty characters outside of those two where there's a massive drop off.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Going a bit off topic, but I think they really need to change the fact that new players only get Shaggy to start with. I think having a proper starting set of 4 characters, one from each class, would go a long way in actually easing new players in.

So, something like Shaggy, Bugs, Finn and Wonder Woman as your core four, then take a page from some gacha games and actually just hand you enough fighter currency to get one additional character (your starting "free pull" as it were).

If they don't want people immediately picking Joker or Jason, or any other newly releasing characters just make the bonus pick come from a specific pool of characters. Then maybe they can start adding to that pool over time as well.

Or ideally make the characters free and just charge for cosmetics and battle passes, but I know that's not happening.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I think Morty's inclusion made sense... but they should have spaced him out. Same with one of the Gremlins. Having two characters from the same series, virtually back to back, really wasn't a good idea IMO. I don't think holding onto Morty and Stripe and adding, say, the Wicked Witch and Agent Smith in Season 1 of the Beta would have prevented the shutdown or anything, but it probably would have kept a lot of people satiated. It seems like they're done doubling up on series within a season, which is probably for the best.
I kind of hate that people told them to slow down on character release. I love that they're listening to the community, but that's just dumb and it was a weird criticism to begin with.
The problem with the frequent character releases of Season 1 was that I'm pretty sure they were releasing characters faster than they were making them. I think that was one of the reasons for the shutdown (along with player counts sharply lowering). I'll admit that they way overcorrected, though. Agent Smith should be out by now.

Faso115

Smash Lord
But morty and Rick didn't come out back to back. It was much weirder.

Lebron, Morty and Rick get announced. Morty was season 1, then for some reason Gizmo dropped, then back to rick, then stripe and finally Black Adam.

Mind you, they released Gizmo, who we didn't know was even coming, before rick, stripe and adam, who we've seen months before.

I think Morty's inclusion made sense... but they should have spaced him out. Same with one of the Gremlins. Having two characters from the same series, virtually back to back, really wasn't a good idea IMO. I don't think holding onto Morty and Stripe and adding, say, the Wicked Witch and Agent Smith in Season 1 of the Beta would have prevented the shutdown or anything, but it probably would have kept a lot of people satiated. It seems like they're done doubling up on series within a season, which is probably for the best.

The problem with the frequent character releases of Season 1 was that I'm pretty sure they were releasing characters faster than they were making them. I think that was one of the reasons for the shutdown (along with player counts sharply lowering). I'll admit that they way overcorrected, though. Agent Smith should be out by now.
I disagree, spacing out Rick for much longer would've been super annoying. The less time spent with MVS being that game that has Morty but not Rick the better. I liked that they got the obvious stuff out the way first.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’ve noticed that the terminally online community has recently put Morty on their hate list. Not Wonder Woman, not Banana Guard, not Iron Giant… Morty?

Like, I get it, Earth + Fire is one of the best combos in the game, but I’m surprised to see the consensus being that he’s a sweaty character. I find it funny because I’ve never felt sweaty using him— that’s when I play Joker or Shaggy.

View attachment 391502

That's a character tag. Dexter's probably coming sooner than we think.
It shouldn’t bother me but it bothers me that it isn’t “Dexter’s Laboratory”

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I’ve noticed that the terminally online community has recently put Morty on their hate list. Not Wonder Woman, not Banana Guard, not Iron Giant… Morty?

Like, I get it, Earth + Fire is one of the best combos in the game, but I’m surprised to see the consensus being that he’s a sweaty character. I find it funny because I’ve never felt sweaty using him— that’s when I play Joker or Shaggy.

It shouldn’t bother me but it bothers me that it isn’t “Dexter’s Laboratory”
No, I get where they're coming from. A Morty once got me in an infinite where he was bouncing me between earth pillars and it definitely felt like he was trying to piss me off with it.

Actually it means that you actually have to play in Dexter's Lab and not in Townsville. It was bugged for me until i played in that stage
That's a bummer, but it's also the first time I think I've seen a tag for a stage before.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Morty's hammer perk is stupid broken in 2v2. And in 1v1 if he hits you even once you're probably eating the hammer too.

I would definitely call him a very obnoxious character to deal with, between the tons of projectile spam, lots of escape tools, and the hammer perk, as well as Earth and Fire.

I think Black Adam should also be in contention for once of the more obnoxious characters to fight.

That's a bummer, but it's also the first time I think I've seen a tag for a stage before.
I think this is the ticket tho, no stages to my knowledge currently have tags. And why would they? You can't select them in online matches, and custom games don't count for missions, so there's no need to tag them their either.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think this is the ticket tho, no stages to my knowledge currently have tags. And why would they? You can't select them in online matches, and custom games don't count for missions, so there's no need to tag them their either.
I'm not sure how Townsville came into it but it's entirely possible in trying to change it to "Dexter's Lab" the stage, they accidentally put in "Dexter's Lab" the character tag instead. They've done stuff like that before, and they've been teasing Dexter so heavily that I can't imagine there hasn't been some amount of work done on him.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The season themes feel pretty loose. I don't think they're actually going to mean anything
So far it's been almost pretty consistent with Joker, Jason, and Agent Smith all getting in. The only exception is Banana Guard, who was quickly thrown together at the last minute. Due to the theme I think Dexter's getting passed over in favor of Mandark.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So far it's been almost pretty consistent with Joker, Jason, and Agent Smith all getting in. The only exception is Banana Guard, who was quickly thrown together at the last minute. Due to the theme I think Dexter's getting passed over in favor of Mandark.
First time I’ve seen someone mention Mandark as a playable character, let alone him getting in before Dexter.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That seems like it's jumping to conclusions. It's like seeing the first three characters of Smash Ultimate's first fighters pass and then assuming that all of the characters will be third party characters, or seeing that Byleth and Min Min were added back-to-back and assuming that the focus will be on first party characters going forward.

For all we know, the next character could be the Powerpuff Girls. (there's been enough clear indications that they'll be added in official trailers)

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think Dexter's probably coming in Season 2. I already thought that, this just strengthens my thoughts on that
It'd make a lot of sense to have him alongside PPG and Jack, they're all the latest CN originals teased, and it'd be fitting given the common theory that all three take place within the same world.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think Dexter fits into the first category, which I think was only there to fit in Banana Guard.
It's not a set of categories. It's a name.

It's "Puns and Villainy." It itself is a pun of "[a wretched hive of] scum and villainy." It's a Star Wars reference. Because Mark Hamill plays the Joker. It's a JOKER themed season.

It's really not that deep.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Update:

Summary:

No new rift this week. Next week will be a major patch with character balance, new content, and returning features (Spectator mode and free for all).

Each season will have a balance patch at the mid point of the season. Fixes will still happen when needed.

Wait are we really going an entire week with no patch or anything new of value. This ****ing game lmao. It should not be this hard to return bare minimum ALPHA features!

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Remember the golden rule: For your own sanity, don't interact with that one

I think Dexter's probably coming in Season 2. I already thought that, this just strengthens my thoughts on that
I think the earliest we're getting Dexter is Season 4, actually.

Season 2's Roster seems to be set in stone, with Nubia, Samurai Jack, Aquaman, and the Powerpuff Girls. They're all fairly close to completion, have lines in the code, and even a few alternate costumes. As for Season 3, we're almost assuredly going to be getting Beetlejuice (movie cross promotion) and the Wicked Witch (comics), which indicates it'll be a Halloween themed season and we'll get some combination of Scooby, Marceline, and Raven.

Also, I'm fairly certain Dexter doesn't have any presence in the code. They could squeeze him in, but there's really nothing pointing at it. It seems like he's pretty far down the pipeline, and they just decided to add the stage early for some reason. It doesn't make sense to me but that's Multiversus for you.

Dexter isn't in the code or really having anything datamined much. Nor is he in that high demand, it makes sense that he's shelved for S4 as MVS needs to cross promote and finish other characters.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Season 2's Roster seems to be set in stone, with Nubia, Samurai Jack, Aquaman, and the Powerpuff Girls. They're all fairly close to completion, have lines in the code, and even a few alternate costumes. As for Season 3, we're almost assuredly going to be getting Beetlejuice (movie cross promotion) and the Wicked Witch (comics), which indicates it'll be a Halloween themed season and we'll get some combination of Scooby, Marceline, and Raven.

Also, I'm fairly certain Dexter doesn't have any presence in the code. They could squeeze him in, but there's really nothing pointing at it. It seems like he's pretty far down the pipeline, and they just decided to add the stage early for some reason. It doesn't make sense to me but that's Multiversus for you.
Dexter isn't in the code or really having anything datamined much. Nor is he in that high demand, it makes sense that he's shelved for S4 as MVS needs to cross promote and finish other characters.
This is a fact that's really baffled me. If they've barely done any work on Dexter and consider him low priority, why then has he been one of if not THE most consistently teased characters since the relaunch? The stage, the cameo appearance and boss fight in the fourth rift, the glasses and gloves in the cinematic, the computer text in the background of social media posts, a single mention in Blossom's dialogue asking if he's around, and the fact we now know a "Dexter's Lab" character tag exists. Hell, the background of the main hub screen is Dexter's Lab!

Why would they choose him to constantly hint at when apparently they haven't even started on him yet? I know the stage gives them the unique opportunity to hide easter eggs but there's no point in doing it NOW when the character the easter eggs revolve around isn't coming for presumably a very long time. There are characters they haven't made a peep about, like Ruby Rose, who are further in than him.

Last edited:
This is a fact that's really baffled me. If they've barely done any work on Dexter and consider him low priority, why then has he been one of if not THE most consistently teased characters since the relaunch? The stage, the cameo appearance and boss fight in the fourth rift, the glasses and gloves in the cinematic, the computer text in the background of social media posts, a single mention in Blossom's dialogue asking if he's around, and the fact we now know a "Dexter's Lab" character tag exists. Hell, the background of the main hub screen is Dexter's Lab!

Why would they choose him to constantly hint at when apparently they haven't even started on him yet? I know the stage gives them the unique opportunity to hide easter eggs but there's no point in doing it NOW when the character the easter eggs revolve around isn't coming for presumably a very long time. There are characters they haven't made a peep about, like Ruby Rose, who are further in than him.
I'm new to Smashboards, but I have a hunch the Animal Crossing fanbase felt this way during Brawl speculation.

It's pretty much no different from other characters. Like Scooby being teased a stupid amount but not getting in until S3 at the earliest. Or how PPG was confirmed in Joker's trailer and have a stage but aren't being included until S2. Live service just be like that.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It's pretty much no different from other characters. Like Scooby being teased a stupid amount but not getting in until S3 at the earliest. Or how PPG was confirmed in Joker's trailer and have a stage but aren't being included until S2. Live service just be like that.
Difference is those two are coming relatively soon and have had work done on them. Dexter apparently isn't and hasn't.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

That's if you're assuming only four characters get in next season. Not to mention we have several fighter files in the game without a name, just a code. He could easily be one of them. Maybe they want the ARG nonsense to tie in with him for some reason? Whatever the truth is it's far from impossible for him to be upcoming. And I'm not even entertaining the asspull that we're never getting him and the best we can hope for is Mandark.

Top Bottom