• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Fusion Fall
ya had to remind how that game had a revival then...it was YANKED away! before i could even play more of it and it's other fan game got cancelled no thanks to one of Total Drama's Parent Companys and apparently others i wish to deny.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Ace
ya had to remind how that game had a revival then...it was YANKED away! before i could even play more of it and it's other fan game got cancelled no thanks to one of Total Drama's Parent Company and apparently others i wish to deny.
Yeah, that's also another downside of fan revivals as well. You never know which ones get on the bad side of corporations and demand to shut them down.

Didn't know they got to FusionFall, such a shame. Sucks that corpos have a distaste of these kinds of fan media when they don't even do anything with specific IPs nowadays.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's also another downside of fan revivals as well. You never know which ones get on the bad side of corporations and demand to shut them down.

Didn't know they got to FusionFall, such a shame. Sucks that corpos have a distaste of these kinds of fan media when they don't even do anything with specific IPs nowadays.
All together now!

1718565227010.jpeg

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
All of those are better than Tweety Bird and for Smash, by the time we got to really absurd choices the roster was satisfying and varied enough.
Are you familiar at all with early Smash? Before the series started going the people-pleasing route with Ultimate, it had a very strong (if negatively-connotated) reputation for weirdo picks and "trolling", and Melee was arguably the biggest "offender" in that department. Consider that quirky characters nobody wanted like Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mr. G&W, and the Ice Climbers all got in before the A- and B-list likes of
  • Charizard
  • Diddy Kong
  • Duck Hunt
  • King Dedede
  • Little Mac
  • Wario
Smash didn't "need" to earn weird picks, and even if it did, it did not earn them by the time it went full force on them, it's only through hindsight of the series' over-ballooned modern state that these feel "earned".

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
And there's loads of other characters thousands of people want before Tweety Bird. Character inclusions still require loads of time and effort. Unlike Fortnite where they're skins and much easier to toss in, I'd prefer for resources to be spent elsewhere for now. Maybe not "never ever" for Tweety Bird but right now, I find him an extremely dumb choice

Doesn't mean I can't be critical over the character priority. The fact that there's a sheer volume of chars makes Tweety's inclusion all the more vexing for me. Especially when there's way cooler and more asked for Looney Toons so it's not like he's the only reasonable option outside of Daffy.

Tweety is the type of character you consider a possibility much later when MVS has a robust and satisfying roster already.

I don't mind most of the cartoon options. My issue is Tweety being remotely a possibility anytime soon, alongside the "joke feel" you mention there's genuinely cool and interesting characters they could have. Tweety being an immediate priority is too much for me since he's not even a wildly demanded character lmao nor is he the best that Looney Toons can offer. And he doesn't have the excuse of already being made before community feedback was a factor like Taz and Marvin (and even then, they're still more interesting faces than Tweety Bird).
I don't even disagree with you on character priority but it's been pretty clear from the start that outside of cross promotion picks like Adam, they're just kinda doing their own thing. And honestly I think the character spread has been pretty reasonable/standard for the most part. I don't mind if the devs pull some oddballs.

In Tweety's case though, I would argue they make perfect sense if we're talking about legacy and audience appeal, even if they seem pretty unconventional in actual practice.

They're not my first choice either but I'm not opposed to seeing how they try and go about making him work. If it does come to be, I would say at least give them a shot first. Maybe they'll surprise you and Tweety winds up with a play style you really enjoy.

Are you familiar at all with early Smash? Before the series started going the people-pleasing route with Ultimate, it had a very strong (if negatively-connotated) reputation for weirdo picks and "trolling", and Melee was arguably the biggest "offender" in that department. Consider that quirky characters nobody wanted like Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mr. G&W, and the Ice Climbers all got in before the A- and B-list likes of
  • Charizard
  • Diddy Kong
  • Duck Hunt
  • King Dedede
  • Little Mac
  • Wario
Smash didn't "need" to earn weird picks, and even if it did, it did not earn them by the time it went full force on them, it's only through hindsight of the series' over-ballooned modern state that these feel "earned".
At the same time, those chars you mentioned were easy to develop clones and/or were interesting deep cuts of Nintendo's history than Tweety Bird is for me. Tweety isn't a deep cut nor is he heavily requested. He's just that very safe stale pick since as everyone said, he's super iconic so while he makes sense, he'd make more sense as an inclusion to consider later down the line. Smash had better variety overall since they didn't immediately put say... Wii Fit in Brawl over Olimar just because her game did well. MVS has plenty of weird and quirky characters, straight up getting a joke character already. We have Shaggy and Velma before the titular protagonist Scooby Doo. I think we have enough "less expected" characters imo at least among the bigger franchises.

I don't even disagree with you on character priority but it's been pretty clear from the start that outside of cross promotion picks like Adam, they're just kinda doing their own thing. And honestly I think the character spread has been pretty reasonable/standard for the most part. I don't mind if the devs pull some oddballs.

In Tweety's case though, I would argue they make perfect sense if we're talking about legacy and audience appeal, even if they seem pretty unconventional in actual practice.

They're not my first choice either but I'm not opposed to seeing how they try and go about making him work. If it does come to be, I would say at least give them a shot first. Maybe they'll surprise you and Tweety winds up with a play style you really enjoy.
I dunno about doing their own thing. They have taken fan demand very seriously, it's why Samurai Jack allegedly got a boost in priority. Daffy Duck was never even on the table until fan demand severely sped up when and where they were going to implement him.

Here's the thing, if they're gonna do oddballs, do something more interesting than Tweety Bird. There's so many deep cuts or other Looney Toons they could do than someone, as you said, makes perfect sense. He just feels like obligatory mascot for quirkiness.

Pair him with Sylvester the way they [aired up Tom & Jerry.
Wouldn't that be too similar? I'd much prefer they just do more interesting picks like Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam or the Coyote. The latter especially would be amazing lmao.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
At the same time, those chars you mentioned were easy to develop clones and were interesting deep cuts than Tweety Bird is for me. Tweety isn't a deep cut nor is he heavily requested, he makes more sense as an inclusion to consider later down the line. Smash had better variety overall since they didn't immediately put say... Wii Fit in Brawl just because her game did well. MVS has plenty of weird and quirky characters, straight up getting a joke character already. We have Shaggy and Velma before the titular protagonist Scooby Doo. I think we have enough "less expected" characters imo at least among the bigger franchises.

I dunno about doing their own thing. They have taken fan demand very seriously, it's why Samurai Jack allegedly got a boost in priority. Daffy Duck was never even on the table until fan demand severely sped up when and where they were going to implement him.

But that's the thing, if they're gonna do oddballs, do something more interesting than Tweety Bird. There's so many deep cuts or other Looney Toons they could do than someone, as you said, makes perfect sense.

Wouldn't that be too similar? I'd much prefer they just do more interesting picks like Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam or the Coyote. The latter especially would be amazing lmao.
No they wouldn't.

Also Tweety and Sylvester are some of the more popular toons.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Since I am here, I wanna share with ya'll something I brought Up to Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario and other profile posters some weeks ago about a certain group of characters Who could turn out to be both clever, synergetic and huge picks.
And before anyone says anything (because I know that some people on this site want my butt on a plate due to stuff from literally a decade ago regarding these characters), allow me to explain:

During the 1960s, Hannah Barbera released their as far as I know one and only Marvel IP show in their entire cathalog of classics: The Fantastic Four. There was also a weird The Thing cartoon where he was a teen with magic rings Who transformed him, but that one's more obscure. It was a HUGE hit, so much so that media outlets and the goverment were worried both Fantastic Four and Johnny Quest would harm the minds of the youth with the levels of violence both shows had. Which lead to a huge cencorship.

Why am I saying all of this? Well, fastforward to 2024/2025 and we have this new upcoming Marvel Studios movie about the same team which seems to have a really interesting visual and tonal style:
Screenshot_2024-02-14-16-14-31-86_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
GKU2-zgXsAACQU8.jpeg

Did ya'll see It on the posters? It has a 1960s/1970s retro futuristic aesthetic. What a coincidente, specially with that one Hannah Barbera show being from the same decade (which could also as well get a reference in the movie similar to how ITSV had the 60s Spider-Man cartoon).

So here's my speculation: between the fact they are the only Hannah Barbera Marvel characters, the movie going for a similar visual tone as their show and also the potential both for tie-in and character movesets, I feel the Fantastic Four have a non-zero chance to get added to the game, potentially with both the MCU suits and the 60s cartoon versions as alts. Now, how high is this non-zero chance? Idk, because these devs are quite unpredictable and they like to go for really fun and unexpected picks, so the real chances imo are unknown.

And before I post this message, here's my answer to the potential question of how they would add the four without each one taking their own slot: basically the same way Smash does Pyra and Mythra, but with Doom's Time Portal which had a cameo in Multiverse Of Madness:

That's my whole speculation, thanks to those who may read the whole thing.

No they wouldn't.

Also Tweety and Sylvester are some of the more popular toons.
But they also aren't as interesting or asked for as other cartoon characters. Tweety getting immediate priority is just very lame to me, sorry. So many variety of characters for this fighting game and we gotta get Tweety Bird immediately? It doesn't land at all.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't see a problem with Tweety Bird as a playable character, with or without Sylvester. But then again, most of my character wants are from cartoons like Looney Toons, Hanna-Barbara, Droopy, Animaniacs, etc, so I'm okay with any characters from them regardless.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
This thread has taken an odd turn.

I think I had more to say but having trouble wording it
Yeah... Sorry for making It weird to ya'll as usual.

Thought I was doing no harm in sharing my genuine speculation, but I guess It was the opposite.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah... Sorry for making It weird to ya'll as usual.

Thought I was doing no harm in sharing my genuine speculation, but I guess It was the opposite.
you’re not the one loosing it over the possibility of tweety pie so you’re hardly to blame

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Pair him with Sylvester the way they [aired up Tom & Jerry.
Tbh I'm not a fan of the idea that Sylvester should be with Tweety. I think it's trying to hard to replicate Tom and Jerry's moveset, which is a fan a favorite in the game, but doing it a second time would be boring. If you want a duo character, I think Granny + Tweety would be more interesting, with Tweety being a puppet like Rosalina and Luma. I also think Tweety could work fine alone, my moveset idea is that he could summon objects to "accidentally" hurts the opponents.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But they also aren't as interesting or asked for as other cartoon characters. Tweety getting immediate priority is just very lame to me, sorry. So many variety of characters for this fighting game and we gotta get Tweety Bird immediately? It doesn't land at all.
one of the launch characters is BANANA GUARD. Tweety & Sylvester are fine picks

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Nearly every Looney Tunes character is a "quirky" addition. Maybe you can argue Bugs Bunny or Daffy are more susceptible to actually pick a fight, or that Marvin and Taz are kind of the aggressors that start the conflict to begin with.

In which case you're probably right, although Tweety represents the "non-fighter" essence that is something of a platfighter staple and similarly a foundational aspect of classic cartoons. The kind of character who narrowly avoids danger seemingly on accident, disorienting the aggressor and having their plans tumble back down on top of them. While winking at the camera and implying maybe they aren't so naive after all. So sure, this is a silly character idea, but it's one that continues to expand on the essence of Looney Tunes in a fresh way.

Certainly not an egregiously out of place or ridiculous premise... laying it out this way kinda made me straight up want to see Tweety playable after all lol.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Nearly every Looney Tunes character is a "quirky" addition. Maybe you can argue Bugs Bunny or Daffy are more susceptible to actually pick a fight, or that Marvin and Taz are kind of the aggressors that start the conflict to begin with.
Daffy would be more willing to pick a fight compared to Bugs, who for the most part only goes after people who start as the aggressor towards him. And most of the ones he has picked fights with were cases where the character he picks a fight with were being an aggressor to other characters. Whereas Daffy has actually started fights with other characters for selfish reasons(but has had cases where the other character was being an aggressor first) and has even attempted murder on some characters, including Bugs.
Even Multiversus had Batman being the aggressor first before Bugs, cause for some reason, Batman thought Bugs was taking out something else rather than a carrot. Imagine how different the Multiversus trailer would've been had Batman just let Bugs pull out his carrot and eat it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I don't even think it's a matter of "nobody is asking for Tweety" like it's being presented as. Nobody has much reason to expect Tweety, for one reason or another.

He'd be less of a surprise character in the vein of, say, Wii Fit Trainer, and more of one in the vein of Villager: one that makes absolute sense to be added, but is overlooked by the fanbase at large for one reason or another. That's really the only way someone can reasonably write off one of the most iconic characters from the entire company (because, yeah, that's absolutely what Tweety is).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly I don't even think it's a matter of "nobody is asking for Tweety" like it's being presented as. Nobody has much reason to expect Tweety, for one reason or another.

He'd be less of a surprise character in the vein of, say, Wii Fit Trainer, and more of one in the vein of Villager: one that makes absolute sense to be added, but is overlooked by the fanbase at large for one reason or another. That's really the only way someone can reasonably write off one of the most iconic characters from the entire company (because, yeah, that's absolutely what Tweety is).
dude just got his own movie. IDK why people are overlooking him.

But I also still think he should be paired with Sylvester

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Honestly I always wanted him to be paired with Granny, Rosalina and Luma-style. I think it would offer a more compelling angle to take.

In general my ideal Looney Tunes lineup for this game is:

Bugs Bunny
Taz
Marvin the Martian
Daffy Duck
Granny and Tweety
Foghorn Leghorn

A very good set of six. I'd personally throw in Porky as well, but his everyman status does admittedly limit him a bit more than the other options, even if he has a massive legacy to pull from.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
In the hypothetical situation that we get Tweety and Sylvester as a duo, I imagine they’d be the inverse of T&J’s design. In my idea for this, you’d play as Tweety, and Sylvester (who is a separate ai-controlled “character”) follows you around like some kind of clumsy heat-seeking missile that mostly gets in the opponents’ way instead of yours, and can be tricked into attacking your opponents, or can be knocked into them as a projectile. (You actually do have to avoid Sylvester, but he probably won’t hurt you unless you stand still for too long.)

Edit: I’m not saying it’d specifically be the best way to represent Tweety, but it sounds interesting in terms of moveset design at least.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I always wanted him to be paired with Granny, Rosalina and Luma-style. I think it would offer a more compelling angle to take.

Bugs Bunny
Taz
Marvin the Martian
Daffy Duck
Granny and Tweety
Foghorn Leghorn

A very good set of six. I'd personally throw in Porky as well, but his everyman status does admittedly limit him a bit more than the other options, even if he has a massive legacy to pull from.
I'm curious, Why Foghorn? Personally I'd rather have Wile coyote or Speedy Gonzales and they seems overall more popular (I also think Pepe le pew would have cool moveset potential but yeah that's not happening).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm curious, Why Foghorn? Personally I'd rather have Wile coyote or Speedy Gonzales and they seems overall more popular (I also think Pepe le pew would have cool moveset potential but yeah that's not happening).
I just think he's funny, while also giving the Looney Tunes a heavyweight character simultaneously. He's a character known for constantly yapping, so he'd make a lot of sense in a game with a focus on character interaction.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I can understand people wanting Foghorn Leghorn, though I personally hope for Wile E. Coyote first since I love him and Roadrunner. And yeah, Foghorn makes 100% sense as a Bruiser, between him using that plank to smack the dog and scenes like this.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Bugs Bunny
Taz
Marvin the Martian
Daffy Duck
Granny and Tweety
Foghorn Leghorn

Gotta have Wile E. and/or Roadrunner.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
If we get Elmer Fudd, we better get his "What's Opera, Doc" viking outfit like Bugs has his Brynhilde outfit.

Also, someone worked to the bone and got Uber Jason. They showed off his victory animation.

That's really cool.

But also, how??

With the current connection issues, playing for multiple hours per day is a huge pain. Kuddos to this guy.

Last edited:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I just think he's funny, while also giving the Looney Tunes a heavyweight character simultaneously. He's a character known for constantly yapping, so he'd make a lot of sense in a game with a focus on character interaction.
it may be a tad recherche, but i’d adore the dodo bird as a fighter — out of MOST looney tunes they’ve received a particularly startling highlight & simply represents a portion of looney tunes (both black & white + stopmotion) that seems vry compelling

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Smash is not over-ballooned just because you don't like Ultimate

...Tweety got a movie recently? What?

I can understand people wanting Foghorn Leghorn, though I personally hope for Wile E. Coyote first since I love him and Roadrunner. And yeah, Foghorn makes 100% sense as a Bruiser, between him using that plank to smack the dog and scenes like this.
I love Foghorn but to be honest I think he'd fit much better as a very amusing announcer pack..

"I say, I say you lost son! It's over! Ya blew it!"

I'd personally love Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam. They could provide cool zoner movesets and I just think they're a riot.
I actually do think Yosemite Sam would be my ideal next character for Looney Tunes after Daffy because Sam is really funny and also I can totally see him fighting.

If we get Elmer Fudd, we better get his "What's Opera, Doc" viking outfit like Bugs has his Brynhilde outfit.

Also, someone worked to the bone and got Uber Jason. They showed off his victory animation.

I didn't even think it was possible. Does he just have unlimited time?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Smash is not over-ballooned just because you don't like Ultimate

...Tweety got a movie recently? What?

I love Foghorn but to be honest I think he'd fit much better as a very amusing announcer pack..

"I say, I say you lost son! It's over! Ya blew it!"

I actually do think Yosemite Sam would be my ideal next character for Looney Tunes after Daffy because Sam is really funny and also I can totally see him fighting.

I didn't even think it was possible. Does he just have unlimited time?
Yeah. King Tweety. It's a Max Original.

Top Bottom