• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I don't see why this matters, it's not like this is Smash where we aren't going to get your character until the next game 8 years from now. Scooby Doo is 100% going to be in Multiversus at some point, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in by this time next year. What's the rush?
I mean Scooby is coming since he is in the datamines but is it really that hard to make animation movement for him?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You realize gaming technology and animation is a lot easier now to do then back in 2006 you know right?
Tech is better yes but animation is as hard as ever, if not moreso with the increasingly heftier demands as tech gets better and better.

To expand on Motaro, the character got relegated to being a goon that Raiden one-shot in a cutscene in MK9 even though the game is a retelling of MK1-3 where Motaro was the sub-boss before Shao Kahn and hasn't been seen since. NRS haven't used any quadruped fighters in general in any of their games, the closest example is that Kotal has a few moves where he turns into a Jaguar in MK11.

But also it's convenient for you to ignore modern examples like Smash too. Again that's a 2/89 rate for characters that walk on four legs exclusively. And if we look to other modern fighting games that use 3d models there's very few, if at all any characters that are quadruped. The closest that comes to mind is Voldo's weird stances but his whole thing is being weird and it's a stance anyway.

But also:
I don't see why this matters, it's not like this is Smash where we aren't going to get your character until the next game 8 years from now. Scooby Doo is 100% going to be in Multiversus at some point, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in by this time next year. What's the rush?
Yeah, why does it matter that Shaggy and Velma were added before Scooby?
At this rate something major would have to go wrong for them to not get to adding him. I'm begging some of y'all to understand what the differences are between a premium title like Smash that isn't built for unlimited support and a free to play Game as a Service like Multiversus which is built for sustainable support over a very long period of time.

I mean Scooby is coming since he is in the datamines but is it really that hard to make animation movement for him?
With a 3d model yes, they can get away with some aspects as him being cartoony but he still needs to have believable movement for a Great Dane which is hard to do. Animating is hard in general, doing it for cats and dogs and other four legged creatures is a bigger pain.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My WB wants are mostly much lower-profile than Scoob, and I'm pretty chill about them eventually getting in somehow. Heck, third-party additions have been stated as a goal, and they're nowhere near ready to take on those yet, so I'm willing to wait for those too.

Besides, the 30 character tickets in the Premium Edition will practically guarantee that big names like Scooby will get in by the first year of support's end, so it's best to just wait and see, patience will be rewarded sooner or later (if one isn't plugging away at the 50 tiers).

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
My WB wants are mostly much lower-profile than Scoob, and I'm pretty chill about them eventually getting in somehow. Heck, third-party additions have been stated as a goal, and they're nowhere near ready to take on those yet, so I'm willing to wait for those too.

Besides, the 30 character tickets in the Premium Edition will practically guarantee that big names like Scooby will get in by the first year of support's end, so it's best to just wait and see, patience will be rewarded sooner or later (if one isn't plugging away at the 50 tiers).

Sees the GIF Mystery Science Theater

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So anyway, here are some more interesting posts.

This is an analysis of Steven's moveset, as evidence of the staff having done their homework in regards to homaging these characters.

Daily Tony posts, this time they hint at what Morty will be like in terms of gameplay.

In other news, patch notes.

https://multiversus.bugs.wbgames.com/patch-notes

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Only because of the memes which was "recent".

Without those he wouldn't be.
You are very wrong. Shaggy was always the most memorable member of the Mystery Gang even before the Ultra Instinct memes came out. Saying he's the most popular Scooby-Doo character only because of the memes is a bit sad.

I still stand Scooby should've been revealed first.

Both a titular and the main character of the show.
Scooby-Doo doesn't have a "singular main character". The Mystery Gang is a team, so they're all the main characters. That's like saying Blossom is the main character of the PowerPuff Girls.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You are very wrong. Shaggy was always the most memorable member of the Mystery Gang even before the Ultra Instinct memes came out. Saying he's the most popular Scooby-Doo character only because of the memes is a bit sad.

Scooby-Doo doesn't have a "singular main character". The Mystery Gang is a team, so they're all the main characters. That's like saying Blossum is the main character of the PowerPuff Girls.
Although Shaggy and Scooby are the main stars of the show. There was a time back in the 70s where Fred, Daphne, and Velma were all cut out of the show entirely.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even more so then Scooby himself?
Scooby-Doo doesn't have a "singular main character". The Mystery Gang is a team, so they're all the main characters. That's like saying Blossum is the main character of the PowerPuff Girls.
And again whose the titular character?

Scooby obviously.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Interesting tweet from Tony (Link). "The requests determine a lot of which characters we pursue. Requests just recently directed our team towards putting more resources towards a character that would have been much further out."

I wonder who it could be. I know that Mordecai and Walter White were heavily requested, but it could be someone else. Still pretty interesting to know that characters release orders can change based on request.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Interesting tweet from Tony (Link). "The requests determine a lot of which characters we pursue. Requests just recently directed our team towards putting more resources towards a character that would have been much further out."

I wonder who it could be. I know that Mordecai and Walter White were heavily requested, but it could be someone else. Still pretty interesting to know that characters release orders can change based on request.
I wondered if that was the case

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So, When does the maintenance begin? i wish to know so that way i don't play it later before they switch missions again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So, this confirms that fan demand has a far more immediate and direct impact here. You know what this means...

Although Shaggy and Scooby are the main stars of the show. There was a time back in the 70s where Fred, Daphne, and Velma were all cut out of the show entirely.
So, here's my last contribution to this convo.

Interestingly, Daphne got popular enough to come back on the show while Fred and Velma remained absent for a while still. Even when The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo came along.

She eventually got her own solo live-action movie spin-off alongside Velma, to boot.

Ah, Fudge.

Edit at 8/23/22 at 10:45 AM: Welp, My PS4's Running Maintenance for the game.
He's already in the game on my end. I'm good.

I think he also made the show
Co-created, yes.

Morty’s trailer made me finally realize he shares a voice actor with Lemongrab
Man, imagine if Lemongrab got into this. The catharsis would be off the charts for some folks.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Not sure if accurate but apparently Gandalf up special was given to Morty (Gandalf was suppose to spawn an Eagle that would work as a platform but Morty does it with a Spaceship). This is why Morty has Gandalf eagle in his files according to datamine. This sadly could mean that Gandalf is indeed cut and they're going to reuse some of his moves on other characters.

Twitter thread link

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The character trailer, for those who didn't see it.

Edit: >Justin Roiland has been working on a game called High On Life
Well, that explains even more than before.

Not sure if accurate but apparently Gandalf up special was given to Morty (Gandalf was suppose to spawn an Eagle that would work as a platform but Morty does it with a Spaceship). This is why Morty has Gandalf eagle in his files according to datamine. This sadly could mean that Gandalf is indeed cut and they're going to reuse some of his moves on other characters.

Twitter thread link
At least it solves that mystery. Reusing moves like this should help reduce workload a tad for some future characters, so it's not a total loss.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

This fellow is absolutely living the dream.

Let's Push For Mao Mao and KO To Keep Them Immortalized Forever!
Hear hear. Same to Duck Dodgers' Queen Tyr'ahnee.

That being said, I wonder if Rick, Morty, Black Adam and Stripe's additions have caused a shift of support for other characters (let alone any third-party ones) outside of the Walter White movement.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
She eventually got her own solo live-action movie spin-off alongside Velma, to boot.
Which apparently sucked.

Also if Daphne is so popular to the point she appeared in two Scooby-Doo shows that Velma and Fred didn't why did Velma get in over her or at least revealed before her assuming she's in?

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Which apparently sucked.

Also if Daphne is so popular to the point she appeared in two Scooby-Doo shows that Velma and Fred didn't why did Velma get in over her or at least revealed before her assuming she's in?
Daphne was that popular in the 80's. Tastes have shifted over the years and now Velma is the more popular of the two these days.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Something cool that Wile. E. Coyote could do would be painting platforms that him and allies can use similar to when he used to draw tunnels and stuff and they became real.

View attachment 359194
Coyote could have a lot of traps in his moveset. But to stay true to the cartoon, the traps would be able to backfire on him.

Also, Coyote would have some of the fastest speed on the roster.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Coyote could have a lot of traps in his moveset. But to stay true to the cartoon, the traps would be able to backfire on him.

Also, Coyote would have some of the fastest speed on the roster.
if tom and jerry can have a moveset fighting each other wil.e can have a moveset where everything back fires

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I figure it's okay to talk about this without spoilers now that the post-Morty datamine practically confirms all Lord of the Rings content as fully scrapped, but man...

...It can't be understated just how much content was lost because of it. Not only was Gandalf fully coded, having a full moveset and official art (only missing his voice lines), but Legolas was also planned (though thankfully not much progress was lost toward him since he had almost nothing). But even worse? Three entire stages needed to be cut. Considering how light the game is on stages, that's a massive chunk of content that's just gone now.

Here's hoping they can reskin and repurpose a lot of the content that was made, like how they reskinned Gandalf's eagle-based recovery to serve as Morty's up special.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I figure it's okay to talk about this without spoilers now that the post-Morty datamine practically confirms all Lord of the Rings content as fully scrapped, but man...

...It can't be understated just how much content was lost because of it. Not only was Gandalf fully coded, having a full moveset and official art (only missing his voice lines), but Legolas was also planned (though thankfully not much progress was lost toward him since he had almost nothing). But even worse? Three entire stages needed to be cut. Considering how light the game is on stages, that's a massive chunk of content that's just gone now.

Here's hoping they can reskin and repurpose a lot of the content that was made, like how they reskinned Gandalf's eagle-based recovery to serve as Morty's up special.
what were the stages?

Faso115

Smash Lord
Remember: Velma is Tony's favourite and thats why she got in first...er second.

Similar situation with Peridot: they said they added Garnet first because it felt weird not having any of the crystal gems with Steven

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Scooby should've been the first one to be revealed before Shaggy and Velma.

They only revealed Shaggy first in response to the Ultra Instinct memes.
You do realize those memes are the reason for this game’s existence and every character was balanced around Shaggy similar to Mario and Smash, right?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You do realize those memes are the reason for this game’s existence, right?
I thought this was in response to Smash's popularity on top of this sudden platform fighter trend since Brawlhalla and Nick-All-Stars Brawl?

Warner Bros. just deciding to do their own one.

I hope Universal also eventually joins this train. That has lot of potential franchises they could use for such a game. Jurassic Park/Jurassic World, The Fast and the Furious, Universal Monsters, Back to the Future, etc.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Maybe Legolas could be reskinned into Green Arrow (at least loosely).

It's a shame for Gandalf because he looked very fun and his moveset was very unique so I don't think they could just stick it to anyone else. Here's his moveset according to datamine.

-Neutral Attack - Create a barrier that destroys incoming projectiles. Charge to extend barrier duration.
-Side Attack - Combo of staff and sword swings that knock enemies forward.
-Up Attack - Charge a powerful sword swing that knocks enemies upward.
-Down Attack - Charge and fire an energy Projectile across the ground. It hits enmies with an energy strike from above, the bolt, and a donwrd sword swing.
-Neutral Aerial - Create a Barrier that destroys incoming projectiles.
-Side Aerial - Fast sword swing that hits enemies forward.
-Up Aerial - Same as ground.
-Down Aerial - Spawn a bolt of energy that Spikes enemies.
-Neutral Special: Staff of Light - Gandalf Charges and fires a light beam Proectile. The beam hits multiple times, with the last hit being the strongest and the only one that knocks enemies back. Hits deal Light Debuff. Press up and down to aim the beam.
-Side Special: Invisible Grasp - A telekinetic Projecile. Charging extends its duration. Control movement by inputting a direction. Hitting enemies Stuns them. Enemies can Struggle. Repeatedly attack to deal damage and Light Debuff to the enemy. Press a direction to throw the enemy.
-Up Special: Friend of the Eagles - Summon a massive eagle that can be used as a platform. Has a Cooldown.
-Down Special: Power of the Istari - Create a blast Projectile that knocks enemies upward. Charge to increase its size. Damage and knockback increase by the amount of Light an enemy has, but their Light will be consumed. Has Cooldown. Aerial Special - Same as ground.
-Aerial Side Special: Fireworks Master - Detonate a firework Projectile behind Gandalf, propelling him forward and knocking enemies backward.
-Aerial Up Special - Same as ground.
-Aerial Down Special - Similar to ground. Launch towards the ground before creating the blast. The blast size can not be changed, but it is larger than the starting size of the ground version.
-Passive: The Light Grows - Light Debuff: Increases victim's knockback when knocked upward. Knockback increases with the more stacks of Light applies.

what were the stages?
I remember there was music for Hobbiton and Mordor in the files. Not sure about the third one.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Maybe Legolas could be reskinned into Green Arrow (at least loosely).

It's a shame for Gandalf because he looked very fun and his moveset was very unique so I don't think they could just stick it to anyone else. Here's his moveset according to datamine.

-Neutral Attack - Create a barrier that destroys incoming projectiles. Charge to extend barrier duration.
-Side Attack - Combo of staff and sword swings that knock enemies forward.
-Up Attack - Charge a powerful sword swing that knocks enemies upward.
-Down Attack - Charge and fire an energy Projectile across the ground. It hits enmies with an energy strike from above, the bolt, and a donwrd sword swing.
-Neutral Aerial - Create a Barrier that destroys incoming projectiles.
-Side Aerial - Fast sword swing that hits enemies forward.
-Up Aerial - Same as ground.
-Down Aerial - Spawn a bolt of energy that Spikes enemies.
-Neutral Special: Staff of Light - Gandalf Charges and fires a light beam Proectile. The beam hits multiple times, with the last hit being the strongest and the only one that knocks enemies back. Hits deal Light Debuff. Press up and down to aim the beam.
-Side Special: Invisible Grasp - A telekinetic Projecile. Charging extends its duration. Control movement by inputting a direction. Hitting enemies Stuns them. Enemies can Struggle. Repeatedly attack to deal damage and Light Debuff to the enemy. Press a direction to throw the enemy.
-Up Special: Friend of the Eagles - Summon a massive eagle that can be used as a platform. Has a Cooldown.
-Down Special: Power of the Istari - Create a blast Projectile that knocks enemies upward. Charge to increase its size. Damage and knockback increase by the amount of Light an enemy has, but their Light will be consumed. Has Cooldown. Aerial Special - Same as ground.
-Aerial Side Special: Fireworks Master - Detonate a firework Projectile behind Gandalf, propelling him forward and knocking enemies backward.
-Aerial Up Special - Same as ground.
-Aerial Down Special - Similar to ground. Launch towards the ground before creating the blast. The blast size can not be changed, but it is larger than the starting size of the ground version.
-Passive: The Light Grows - Light Debuff: Increases victim's knockback when knocked upward. Knockback increases with the more stacks of Light applies.
Or the Green Poncho

Closest I can see is them adapting the wizard from Gauntlet in terms of retaining the majority of the moveset

Last edited:
Top Bottom