• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Baysha

Smash Ace
But Shaggy came before Scooby and Scooby is the titular character tho...

Obviously they went with him first in response to the Ultra Instinct memes plus his moveset is based off of that rather then taking from anything of the shows we've seen.

If that wasn't the case why didn't they go with Scooby first then?
I mean, the fact that there was legitimate discussion about whether they would go for a meme-based or canon-based moveset before it was revealed should say something.

But Shaggy came before Scooby and Scooby is the titular character tho...

Obviously they went with him first in response to the Ultra Instinct memes plus his moveset is based off of that rather then taking from anything of the shows we've seen.

If that wasn't the case why didn't they go with Scooby first then?
And that is the exception to the rule, not much of an exception either as Shaggy is a main character of Scooby Doo. Scooby is only the titular character, not the main character. The entire gang are still equally important main characters of the Scooby Doo series. It's not really comparable to directly ignoring main characters for memeable side characters like your suggestion for Omni Man over Invincible or more specifically: NASB.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
personally i think it would have been funnier if shaggy was based on himself rather than the meme

i feel it's turned him into a bit of a generic fighting game character

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Saw the meme discussion. Don't expect PFG to shaft main characters for "meme picks" like NASB has been shamelessly doing. Main characters are massive, Shaggy isn't even the exception since he's a massive Scooby Doo main character.
Given that, I'm lowkey excited at the possible prospect of the staff successfully both getting all of the Ninja Turtles in, if a deal with Nick happens, and give them fairly unique movesets to boot (while still potentially getting in April and Shredder at the same time, give or take Bebop and Rocksteady).

personally i think it would have been funnier if shaggy was based on himself rather than the meme

They still incorporated a few token elements of his personality in a few areas, at least.

Also, not every shoto can get to throw a sandwich at people. 😆🥪

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Given that, I'm lowkey excited at the possible prospect of the staff successfully both getting all of the Ninja Turtles in, if a deal with Nick happens, and give them fairly unique movesets to boot (while still potentially getting in April and Shredder at the same time, give or take Bebop and Rocksteady).

They still incorporated a few token elements of his personality in a few areas, at least.

Also, not every shoto can get to throw a sandwich at people. 😆🥪
that’s why I said a bit of

although the more fighting game characters who fight with sandwiches the better I’d say

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I think that was the point, he's a popular character and he's easy to pick up so a lot of beginner will play it like Mario in Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think that was the point, he's a popular character and he's easy to pick up so a lot of beginner will play it like Mario in Smash.
i meant in terms of visuals and moves. flying kick, powering himself up, how many times we seen that in fighters? sure the sandwich stands out but thats about it. velma, t&j, bugs, taz they stand out a hundred times more and are way funnier

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing as Shaggy's been wanted memetically in a fighter since Mortal Kombat 11 (to the point that the MK community manager flat-out deconfirmed him), it probably would have been hard to keep his comedy aspects in the whole moveset anyhow. For those fans, it's less about comedic faithfulness and more of "ha ha see the hippy foodie go Fatality".

What I'm really interested in is how Daphne would fight compared to him and Velma. Either straight-up fighter like in some of her portrayals, or full-on goofy quirk mode like in "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!". Or both.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Shaggy is the weird middle ground of being a major character who happens to be a huge meme. His inclusion isn't surprising but how he is implemented is.

Also Scooby Doo is the only namesake character that is missing from the roster and i think that's the only case so far. Tom and Jerry has them, SU obviously has Steven, Scooby Doo is the odd one out.

(if you wanna get technical too and not count DC as a whole, Shazam has Black Adam instead of Shazam)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shaggy is the weird middle ground of being a major character who happens to be a huge meme. His inclusion isn't surprising but how he is implemented is.

Also Scooby Doo is the only namesake character that is missing from the roster and i think that's the only case so far. Tom and Jerry has them, SU obviously has Steven, Scooby Doo is the odd one out.

(if you wanna get technical too and not count DC as a whole, Shazam has Black Adam instead of Shazam)
It's especially notable since there is, as of this posting, only a single stage in the entire game that has a character's name in it (aside from Cromulons), and it happens to be his. That's very conspicuous.

Last edited:

Even then, Black Adam is getting his own movies and had a recent anti-hero push.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Like Magneto? So Adam's Getting Redeemed despite hearing he's suppose to be the villain in the DCEU.
To be fair, his initial motivation boils down to "I'll help the impoverished people in this country by slaying their oppressors", regardless of the actual results of applying his mindset when taken out of his era. He's more of a Namor equivalent in this sense (especially when he has the "pointed ears" design).

He also showed up more often than Shazam/Cap Marvel himself during the late 00s.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Interesting stuff. Yea, MVS broke pattern with its Scooby rep by adding Shaggy first and foremost for the sake of memes. This has me thinking about my two most wanteds.

With Detentionaire...its main character, Lee Ping, isn't really a "fighter". Neither is Tina Kwee, my favorite character. Holger COULD be a fighter if you squint, but the Red Tazelwurm would be the most fun and unique option. General Barrage would have some fun potential too, as well as [CENSORED FOR DETENTIONAIRE SPOILERS]

As for 6teen, it's a bit more complicated. It's kind of an ARMS case in that "everyone's the protagonist!" so it really depends on
A. Who's among the most popular and
B. Who FreshTV higher-ups would want

In both cases, the most likely addition would be Jude. Which I wouldn't complain about, having Jude and Shaggy in the same game would be great. Caitlin's kind of an underdog, going up against Jude who the creators like best (if Dramarama is any indication) and Nikki who the fandom likes best (yes, 6teen DOES have a fandom). But she's probably at least more likely than Wyatt. Heh. But Imma cut myself off before I start rambling about Caitlin again.

And let's not get into Total Drama :skull:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still hope we get Shazam at some point.

If you're gonna have Black Adam. It only makes sense to have his main rival.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I thought Black Adam's been an anti-hero for a while now?
He started become more an anti hero early in the 2000's so it's pretty recent considering that the character has been around since 1940.

Personally I'm not surprised that Black Adam is here without Shazam. At this point Black Adam is way more prominent and I'd argue that he's probably more popular too than Shazam.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still hope we get Shazam at some point.

If you're gonna have Black Adam. It only makes sense to his main rival.
Same, although I'm not sure how he'd be implemented, exactly (seeing as they have the same powers, even if the pantheons they represent are different). I'd be okay with the skin treatment, although it would severely limit the possibility of having Billy Batson show up in taunts.

Maybe Shazam would be more playful, as opposed to BA's straighter brutality?

He started become more an anti hero early in the 2000's so it's pretty recent considering that the character has been around since 1940.

Personally I'm not surprised that Black Adam is here without Shazam. At this point Black Adam is way more prominent and I'd argue that he's probably more popular too than Shazam.
I think the catalyst in this case is the forthcoming Black Adam movie, which is supposed to screen by the time this year ends. 99% chance that he'll come with a Dwayne Johnson-inspired movie skin, too.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Same, although I'm not sure how he'd be implemented, exactly (seeing as they have the same powers, even if the pantheons they represent are different). I'd be okay with the skin treatment, although it would severely limit the possibility of having Billy Batson show up in taunts.

Maybe Shazam would be more playful, as opposed to BA's straighter brutality?

I think the catalyst in this case is the forthcoming Black Adam movie, which is supposed to screen by the time this year ends. 99% chance that he'll come with a Dwayne Johnson-inspired movie skin, too.
He's also showing up in Death Battle Soon.

D

Deleted member

I mean they where both In Injustice 1. we also may be getting semi clones if Nubia is anything to go by. They have pretty different personalites. It's definitely doable.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
how interested would people be for these characters ?

Virgil from "Static Shock"
Coop from "Megas XLR"
Starfire & Cyborg from "Teen Titans"
more from "Teen Titans" i cannot remember
the Green Latern from Justice League Unlimited
Dexter from "Dexter's Laboratory"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Coop from "Megas XLR"
They'd definitely be interested by the Titans in general. CN fans would appreciate Dexter, as well.

Datamines mentioned Virgil/Static, so we might see him later.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
why on God's green earth would you want him ? all he does most episodes is scream.
One of my favorite CN cartoons alongside The Regular Show for one.

He's also a CN classic and a sample of the network itself along with the Ed's, Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack, and Powerpuff Girls.

He definitely more then earns a spot in the game.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
One of my favorite CN cartoons alongside The Regular Show for one.

He's also a CN classic and a sample of the network itself along with the Ed's, Dexter Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack, and Powerpuff Girls.

He definitely more then earns a spot in the game.
Classic yes. Workable How ?????

Dexter and Samurai Jack are the only two good ones you listed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Classic yes. Workable How ?????
I mean they manage to make Velma of all characters work. Lol.

Also ROB and even a ******* Piranha Plant in Smash.

AND Lincoln Loud, Lucy Loud, Nigel Thornberry and Hugh Newtron in Nick: All-Stars Brawl.

AND Phoenix Wright in UMvC3.

So tell me how Courage couldn't be workable?

Did you ever even watch the show? A moveset could easily be made for Courage given the impressive stuff he's capable of.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Have you even watched the show? He may not have a lot in the way of attacks, but Courage is a very active character.
That's what I'm saying.

Dude can shapeshift, scream so loud that he shattered the sun, pulls wacky moves out of nowhere, etc.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean they manage to make Velma of all characters work. Lol.

Also ROB and even a ******* Piranha Plant in Smash.

AND Lincoln Loud, Lucy Loud, Nigel Thornberry and Hugh Newtron in Nick: All-Stars Brawl.

AND Phoenix Wright in UMvC3.

So tell me how Courage couldn't be workable?

Did you ever even watch the show? A moveset could easily be made for Courage given the impressive stuff he's capable of.
Not to mention a Hornet race car from Daytona in Fighters Megamix. Anyone or anything can fight as long as they got enough imagination.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Coop from "Megas XLR"
I'd rather have Beast Boy or Raven from Teen titans. Starfire I wouldn't mind too much but tbh I think Cyborg is easily one of DC' most boring hero and I never understand why he got this big push and he took the place of Martian Manhunter.

Top Bottom