• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think that's what happening with Johnny Bravo and Fred Flintstones when the team realised that other cartoons characters like Jack and PPG were much more popular in the fanbase
I was wondering about them. I hope they're still on the docket. Fred is a no-brainer and Johnny is a quintessential classic CN character.

Another question would be what became of Craig, Static Shock, Emmett, and any others I might be forgetting about?

I feel like the leaker probably had real information, but things changed so much when they shut down the game and relaunch so I think that many of his information are so old that they might be cancelled or some characters might still come but much later than anticipated (I think that's what happening with Johnny Bravo and Fred Flintstones when the team realised that other cartoons characters like Jack and PPG were much more popular in the fanbase). Ted Lasso is a weird case because according to Papa Genos, the leaker was confused and Ted Lasso was not planned at the time, but the team liked the idea and he might come eventually.
It was less the team liking the idea and moreso Ted Lasso's actor himself genuinely being pumped for it which put PFG in a very funny predicament.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Popeye's an interesting one because I had thought he'd be one of those characters screwed over by the whole "the copyright expired, so he's public domain, but certain aspects of the character are still trademarked which limits his use" thing, but...apparently that's FAR less of an issue.

The basic rundown for those who aren't aware is that the Popeye character is owned by King Syndicate, which is owned by Hearst Holdings, Inc. (yes, that Hearst), while WB currently owns the animated shorts through Turner Entertainment (the same subsidiary that gives them access to the pre-1980s MGM library). Popeye himself enters the public domain in the US next year, so WB would have major control for something like Multiversus...but the trademark would still persist and be kept by King Syndicate/Hearst Holdings, and Hearst has been very good at trademarking the character name for everything under the sun, and keeping said trademark up.

HOWEVER.

The one area they let the trademark lapse? Video games. The trademark for the use of the name Popeye in video games lapsed in 2009. So once 2025 rolls around (and let's be real, he was never going to be one of the two characters immediately after Nubia in October lmao), there shouldn't be any issues with including Popeye provided he's based on the animated shorts instead of the newspaper comics.
I'm probably going to regret asking but what has Hearst Holdings done that warrants that phrasing?

The fact they own the cartoons I would prob aly quantify in the weird gray area that LotR, Monsterverse, and the LEGO Movie qualify under - where aspects of the brand are owned but the IP rights are overall messy.

On a completely unrelated subject, I really want to see ALF in this game. Anyone remember ALF? Because he keeps making cameos in all kinds of stuff lately (and he's back in POG form). It's a guilty pleasure show for me, I grew up with it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm probably going to regret asking but what has Hearst Holdings done that warrants that phrasing?

The fact they own the cartoons I would prob aly quantify in the weird gray area that LotR, Monsterverse, and the LEGO Movie qualify under - where aspects of the brand are owned but the IP rights are overall messy.
It's just a very old and VERY influential media conglomerate. It's named after William Randolph Hearst and is run by a lot of his descendants, and he was one of the foremost printed media moguls in the US in the late 1800s. He basically had the single largest newspaper empire in the country, and the holdings company is still massive today.

So it's just a case of a very big name attached to the company that owns Popeye's trademark. To put it into perspective, he's usually brought up in the same conversations as like, Joseph Pulitzer lol. Whether that be their status as massive print news moguls, or their status as union busting menaces whose use of child labor inspired the massive newsboys strikes that inspired Newsies.

...He was also incredibly racist and eventually became a supporter of the Nazi party prior to WWII...yeah Hearst was a terrible person.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Batman Megamix is fine, a lot of it rehashed from the very first rift.

One thing is i don't even play batman, so that bugs and velma fight is really hard for me. Also, you need a Batman 85 skin for one of the fights later, so better start grinding!

LimeTH

Smash Lord
You’re only allowed to buy 5 Batman credits? What if I wanted to get all the skins?

Also looks like Batman 1989 is bundle only. Typical.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
This event doesn’t seem too grindy, at least compared to some other events. I already got my first Batman credit and got the PPG skin. I’m thinking about if I should get Banana Guard’s Batman skin, or save up for some of the pricier Batman skins (even though I don’t play as Batman very much.) Maybe I could get Ugly Sweater Batman and then I’d have credits left for some other characters‘ skins, but idk. I’m not a huge fan of a lot of the use of yellow in many of the cosplaying-as-Batman skins, so yeah.

I somehow managed to softlock myself in the Target Break level in the new rift by getting stuck in the top corner as Cake, ahaha.

On a side note, the total lack of dialogue in the new rift is kinda disappointing. I know that Rift dialogue isn’t that deep or anything, but I still wanted to see what came of Batman contacting the PPG at the end of the previous rift.

As for another miscellaneous glitch, one of the event missions is “get KOs in 1v1s with a Batman 85 skin” which you can somehow grind with the rift node where you play as Michael Keaton Batman, despite the fact that it’s very obviously a 2v2. It’s a pretty fast way to get an easy 1k event coins, though.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
This event doesn’t seem too grindy, at least compared to some other events. I already got my first Batman credit and got the PPG skin. I’m thinking about if I should get Banana Guard’s Batman skin, or save up for some of the pricier Batman skins (even though I don’t play as Batman very much.) Maybe I could get Ugly Sweater Batman and then I’d have credits left for some other characters‘ skins, but idk. I’m not a huge fan of a lot of the use of yellow in many of the cosplaying-as-Batman skins, so yeah.

I somehow managed to softlock myself in the Target Break level in the new rift by getting stuck in the top corner as Cake, ahaha.

On a side note, the total lack of dialogue in the new rift is kinda disappointing. I know that Rift dialogue isn’t that deep or anything, but I still wanted to see what came of Batman contacting the PPG at the end of the previous rift.

As for another miscellaneous glitch, one of the event missions is “get KOs in 1v1s with a Batman 85 skin” which you can somehow grind with the rift node where you play as Michael Keaton Batman, despite the fact that it’s very obviously a 2v2. It’s a pretty fast way to get an easy 1k event coins, though.
In theory you can do that cause it doesn't require PVP. But then if it's 2V2 you have to play PVP even if it's not specified. Game's weird

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I’m not a huge fan of a lot of the use of yellow in many of the cosplaying-as-Batman skins, so yeah.
As a Finn main, holy **** do I hate his Batman 85 skin. Why did they make his hat that piss yellow? He has ears make the hat black so it looks like a Batman cowl!

If they did that they'd essentially be giving out every single Batman skin + the event skins out for free. That's stupid, complete financial suicide.
I get that, but it's a little BS that if you get one of the Batman skins, you're locked to only getting one cosplay skin unless you fork over the gleamium.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So IMO, the Event is pretty good for the most part and not as grindy compared to the Cybucks event. My main gripe with the Event is that the Batman Mask skins require a credit to get them instead of currency and you can only get 5 Credits. And if you plan on getting one of the Legendary skins, that means you can only get 1 Batman Mask skin. And that makes me wish the Batman Masks were gotten with currency rather than Credits, even if they were to be twice as pricey than a Credit.

If the intention was for players to be able to get only 1 Legendary skin, than it should've been at least 6, preferably 7 Credits so that players can get a Legendary skin and choose either 2-3 Uncommon skins or a Rare/Uncommon+Rare skin.

I also kinda wish some of the already released Batman-themed non-skin cosmetics(like the Ring-Outs, Banners, Icons, etc) were part of the store and possible to get with currency, but that's more a nitpick than a complaint.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Once again, semi-F2P here gets lucky that Batman can be bought with the event currency and i happen to not own batman, i just have to win 40 games. It's grinding time

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As a Finn main, holy **** do I hate his Batman 85 skin. Why did they make his hat that piss yellow? He has ears make the hat black so it looks like a Batman cowl!
The official art for the event gives Finn a significantly different outfit from what’s actually available to obtain in the game, and it’s so much better…

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Does anyone else think it's a little strange that the PPG are given the "human" tag instead of the "non-human" one? I'm not overly knowledgeable on Powerpuff Lore, but aren't they basically Homunculi? Created from Sugar, Spice, Everything Nice, and Chemical X? Sure, they look human, but so do Wonder Woman and Superman.

To be clear this absolutely doesn't matter I'm just thinking out loud.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The official art for the event gives Finn a significantly different outfit from what’s actually available to obtain in the game, and it’s so much better…
Right, that's why it's so damn disappointing the actual thing he's got the pee colored head.

Also they really should have did something with the PPG besides masks. Make their dressed black, gray and yellow or something.

Does anyone else think it's a little strange that the PPG are given the "human" tag instead of the "non-human" one? I'm not overly knowledgeable on Powerpuff Lore, but aren't they basically Homunculi? Created from Sugar, Spice, Everything Nice, and Chemical X? Sure, they look human, but so do Wonder Woman and Superman.

To be clear this absolutely doesn't matter I'm just thinking out loud.
Weird, they count for non-human missions too.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Right, that's why it's so damn disappointing the actual thing he's got the pee colored head.

Also they really should have did something with the PPG besides masks. Make their dressed black, gray and yellow or something.
I think they have to retain the red, blue, and green color somewhere in their outfits so that they aren’t even more confusing to fight than they already are, but I think they still could’ve done a bit more. Maybe they could‘ve inverted the color scheme of their clothes so that, instead of being a color with a black stripe in the middle, they are black with a stripe of their color.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yeah this new rift feels super hollow.

No dialogue and a reused boss fight (which I concede works for the theme of the rift) makes it feel rushed.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Rifts as a concept aren't bad but they need to be more creative and each Rift should be like, six to seven fights maximum. It'd invite more room for creativity.

Unfortunately with a reused fight this early I think we've reached the point where it's no longer sustainable to create interesting stuff for rifts and also develop fighters and stages at the same time. Somethings gonna have to give and Rifts are the obvious answer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah this new rift feels super hollow.

No dialogue and a reused boss fight (which I concede works for the theme of the rift) makes it feel rushed.
The no dialogue is the strangest to me.

The end of the first rift made it clear that Batman was communicating with the PPG. I was kind of expecting it to follow up with the PPG meeting the characters when it also just so happened to be Batman’s birthday.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Hmm, keep in mind the 4th rift is also called "Halloween Megamix"....it's probably going to rehash the Jason and Megalodoc rifts, isn't it?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

LimeTH

Smash Lord
1727894323603.png

Alright now they're just taking the piss.

Raven's pentagram is there, and the Treehouse has a bunch of Candy People at it. Maybe teasing the Candy Kingdom stage?
Also a group of people who are cut off from the waist down. Now I acknowledge this is a stretch but my first thought was Cow and Chicken's parents, so I dunno, Cow and Chicken/Red Guy hint?

Nice to see yet another Dexter hint to add to the already colossal pile. I'm pretty confident he's one of the character slots we don't know about yet.

EDIT: Okay I got one more.
Maybe a stretch but not only is Blue Diamond's ship prominently displayed, but one of the little characters is using a pickaxe to pry out the gem representing Blue Diamond from the bottom of Sky Arena
1727895146378.png

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
View attachment 394858

Raven's pentagram is there, and the Treehouse has a bunch of Candy People at it. Maybe teasing the Candy Kingdom stage?
Also a group of people who are cut off from the waist down. Now I acknowledge this is a stretch but my first thought was Cow and Chicken's parents, so I dunno, Cow and Chicken/Red Guy hint?

Nice to see yet another Dexter hint to add to the already colossal pile. I'm pretty confident he's one of the character slots we don't know about yet.

Maybe a stretch but not only is Blue Diamond's ship prominently displayed, but one of the little characters is using a pickaxe to pry out the gem representing Blue Diamond from the bottom of Sky Arena
View attachment 394859
I think Blue Diamond tends to be the more popular of the diamonds, at the very least she always seemed the most redeemable. Although she's not exactly my first choice for another giant character, usually i'd rather see Kong or Godzilla first.

Then again, my third choice for Adventure Time wouldn't be Banana Guard so i guess the devs can do whatever they want. If the Blue Diamond ringout somehow dissapears by accident, we know why...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 394858

View attachment 394859
that’s not blue diamond’s ship

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Evil Rick, maybe?

Also, we got Flash, Scooby-Doo indefinitely, a mention of Green Lantern & Hawkgirl(John Stewart maybe?), Wicked Witch shows her face, Condement King, Livewire, and Parasyte?
I don’t think it’s him. He says it himself: “Infinite universes, infinite possibilities”.

Would be super funny if it was I.C.O.N Director Rick, but probably not due to how long they’ve been writing this comic.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Top Bottom