• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multishine: an extensive guide -updated 8/13/10

Stratocaster

Smash Ace

The multishine is a chain of quick, precisely timed shines in between shines canceled by jumps and then shining the frame you leave the ground. This can be very useful for pressuring/breaking shields at an advanced level. More commonly though, its a high-level tech skilled used to show off your mastery of the game. Lets look at the tech frame-by-frame, then put it all together, hopefully giving you insite into the mechanics.

Note: 60 frames = 1 second

*The very first shine acts slightly different because you're grounded as the shine begins.

1st frame - the attack comes out

2nd and 3rd frames - very slight lag, no attack or reflection, the jump button can be pressed during these frames, but it won't take effect until frame 4

frames 4-21 - reflection, can be held longer, but when B is just pressed once, the reflection will end after 18 frames, this is the 18 frame window that you can jump cancel the shine, the sooner the better of course. As soon as you jump you'll enter the jump animation, this is the only time you have to reach the B button.
Now lets suppose you jumped asap:

frames 4-8 - the jump animation lasts 5 frames, you'll be airborne on the 6th frame of your jump

frame 9 - exactly 6 frames into your jump press B+down, this is the most difficult part, you'll have to practice finding the timing to press B exactly 1/12 of a second (5 frames) after pressing Y/X.

frames 10-12 - you're airborne, 2 of the frames you can't do anything, but if you jump on the 3rd frame then you'll doublejump before you hit the ground.

frame 13 - you land on the ground with the reflector active, you have a 15 frame window to jump again, this is 2 frames less than before, because one frame of the reflector was used in the air, and you can't actually input the jump until you've been on the ground for 1 frame.

repeat frames 4-13 as much as you like/can

Conclusion/How to:
1)Hold down on the control stick and press B.
2)Press Y within the next 1/4 of a second,
3)press B EXACTLY 1/12 of a second after pressing Y.
4)Press Y within the next 1/4 of a second again, but not too soon or you'll double jump, though that shouldn't be a problem unless you are super fast.
5)Repeat steps 3 and 4 as long as you can.

Tips
The important motion is from Y to B
The B to Y motion has a wide window, as long as you don't press Y too soon and double jump you'll be fine, but there is only 1 frame for the B input! Thats only 1/60 of a second.

The timing is like wavedashing
The frame you need to press B is exactly the same frame to press L/R in a wavedash, so if that helps think of it as wavedashing with B.

Jump on site of the first large, hollow, blue hexagon
if you look at the frames there are 3 frames with the white, half filled hexagon, the first frame with the big blue one is when you're able to jump, any sooner and you may double jump, any later and you may miss your window

Fox's double lazer has the same motion Y to B
Fox's short hop double lazer requires a even faster motion from Y to B practice just barely tapping the Y button on your way to the B button, if you can get 2 lazers than you can move fast enough to do the multishine

Videos
PCHU's multishine techniques - pretty good video with a couple of techniques he uses, he slides from B to Y though like I tell you not to, but he moves back to B so fast it really just works for him.
The tree in Onett makes it easier because it actually comes back up to you giving you a little bit more room for error on the B
Advancing multishine- just so you can see its possible and what it looks like

Shield Pressuring
Only practical use is of multishining is a relentless shield pressure, to transfer from the normal type of multishining there are 2 more things to learn.

1. Hitlag - There are 4 frames of hitlag for you after you hit, this means you press Y later, but the Y to B motion that I've been stressing is still EXACTLY the same.

2. Advancing multishine - shields tend to get pushed away by an attack, so in order to continue you're attack you need to be moving towards them as they're pushed away. This change is quite simple, hold the control stick down left to move left and down-right to move right. Figure out where the threshold is for Side-B and use your shine by holding just below the threshold

They have 4 frames that they're free between shield stun, less time if they light shield. The only way they can get out is by possibly buffering, buffering jump will get them hit, buffering spotdodge will leave them vulnerable to the next shine, and buffering a roll may not get them away, but if they do you can punish rolls pretty well. Just ask Shiz. He was telling everyone he plays "don't roll" on the stream during apex.

Thanks for reading! Thanks for the sticky and post any suggestions or questions below

Last edited:

Adi

Smash Lord
Nice visual guide of explaining it, hopefully people stop asking how to do it. You should add an applications section if you get the time.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Glad you all like it, this is my favorite tech, because it looks so flashy, I mean you're literally flashing. When I got AR access this is one thing I really wanted to research. I wasn't even sure if you left the ground or not when you did this. Hope it helps everyone. In the end its a matter of getting the timing down, but knowing EXACTLY whats going on is nice too.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Lol @ Falco having the bigger shine and the smaller hitbox. Great guide.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
;___; i can't reach the y button so fast, you guys are inhuman
I heard you press Y with the tip of your thumb and B with the middle of your thumb. And you just sort of roll your thumb. I also heard its all about the timing, and that 'its not actually that fast'.

I have to try this.

Adi

Smash Lord
Yeh when I do it you sorta roll your thumb over, you're barely moving your thumb at all when you perform it if you're doing it right.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i thought i would gain some insight on how to do jc shines after reading this...
but i've learned nothing new. lol
nice frame data though.
and the pictures are great.
(i have AR too. lulz)

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
i thought i would gain some insight on how to do jc shines after reading this...
but i've learned nothing new. lol
nice frame data though.
and the pictures are great.
(i have AR too. lulz)
Ya, I've thought about adding maybe a more... practical explanation of how to do it..., but it was so long already. I might add some more a bit later. One reason I made this is I personally wanted to know exactly how it works, so when I mess up, I know whats going wrong. The basic thing is to hit the Y with the tip of your thumb and slide down to the B quickly.

Milos

Smash Lord
I was talking to SW on aim and he was giving me some advice as to what to do with my hands to JC shine more efficiently/consistently.

Basically he said you press down b, lift thumb to Y, and slide it down to B and repeat. it's worked well for me.

PB&J

Smash Hero
what is the most someone people can do because i can do alot in a row and im not talking about 10-15..just wanted to know though..good thread

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i see people just spamming b, y, b, y, b, y...
but i realized it's easier when you are spamming yb yb yb yb you get it?
haha

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
also, you're allowed more time between b and jump, than you are between jump and b.
idk if i make sense. haha

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
You make sense. You need to press B before you leave the ground from pressing Y. With going from B to Y, well, it's up to you how long you want to be in the shine.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
if you can shdl with fox and hit falco with both lasers you're ready for the jc shines

/not really helpful

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
stratford thought he did 2000

then he realized it was a dream

he started his sentence as 'last night while playign bing i did 2000 multi...'

and i already had given him the >________< face.

Blubby

Smash Apprentice
"4)Press Y within the next 1/4 of a second again, but not too soon or you'll double jump, though that shouldn't be a problem unless you are super fast."

Is it possible to do a wavedash out of the doublejump?

pockyD

Smash Legend
well, things like wavelanding right off the edge COULD be considered a DJ wavedash

generally though, if you're using your double jump, you're already in the air so you can just straight up waveland instead of throwing your DJ in there for no reason

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Can you change the name of this guide to include multishine? ("The JC Shine (Multishine): an extensive guide" or something like that.)

I just want to be able to point to this and tell people to check the stickies when they make threads asking how to multishine since they might not know that JC shine = multishine.

Top Bottom