• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Fame and Watch

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
According to the latest poll on Smashboards, Mr. Game and Watch is currentally the 3rd most popular character. Any thoughts?
doesn't bother me, alot of GW mainers dont know how to use him correctly.

Neb

Smash Lord
Its a bit annoying, they flock to whoever's winning tournaments. Maybe they're just drawn to his classical awesomeness.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
G&W was one 5 chars i played in melee. I've been using him for years now, i dont actually have brawl but i intend on playing him again.

the fact that people use him because he owns is not surprising.

Reminds me of a time i played ,my friend in brawl, and chose G&W and he said "who, the hell, picks G&W" ....i proceeded to own him, and it was only my second time playing the game.

Lotsa_Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
sigh, I knew this day would come. When the fact that Game and Watch kicks *** would become common knowledge to people. It was so much more amusing as a surprise. "What? You play as G&W? But He sux!" and then totally ****** them with him. Oh well, at least i'm still able to surprise people by Counterpicking Corneria and getting free buckets to kill them with.

Also, link to this poll plz? I can't find it/Don't want to try hard enough to find it.

cutter

Smash Champion
Even where I live, people still are reluctant to play as G&W. I played him a lot in Melee alongside Jigglypuff, and it was fun to beat up people with an actually sucky character.

G&W will become a force to be reckoned with though come summer, mark my words.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I'm not good enough to main with him yet, but he's pretty good at cleaning up Dedede's bad matchups. I've liked him and Dedede since the game launched, so I'm sticking with them, I don't care how popular they get.

Ilex

Smash Ace
I actually preferred it when he was less popular as he was in the last poll. More popular characters have less personality. The main reason I chose Game & Watch was because he seemed unique and unlike your typical tournament winner.

Ah well :/

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
Oh, ****.

On the right side, I'm glad Mr. Game and Watch is finally gettign some recognition...

But my left side is a bit disappointed because part of the caprice that was with me choosing Mr. Game and Watch was because he WASN'T popular...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't understand why people would choose a character because he isn't popular...that's a really stupid reason...like you want recognition for using an underrated character or something...please no.

I am very happy that a lot of people play G&W. It means that we will develop strategies faster and learn things about him faster then lesser played characters.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I don't understand why people would choose a character because he isn't popular...that's a really stupid reason...like you want recognition for using an underrated character or something...please no.

I am very happy that a lot of people play G&W. It means that we will develop strategies faster and learn things about him faster then lesser played characters.
QFT I like you logic.

I also agree about the whole "I play him because he is less popular" thing. I think it's just stupid. No one cares if you are good with an underrated character, it's about who wins and who can put up.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
I think it's a good thing for the most part. It just shows us that our character is becoming more used and shows that he has potential to be the top tier character in SSBB.

But this also will probably draw in GaW haters due to the fact that he is so good, and that alot of people use him.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
i picked up GW in melee because no one used him and he sucked. I am the best with him. but i found out why he sucked, it was called fox and falco. so i just played my day one main Sheik.

Fortunatly all my GW hours werent a total waste of time, obviously.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman

That's the main part of his appeal. If I wanted to play a character because they are good I'd pick Metaknight or Snake.

chckn

Smash Ace
95% of people who claim to play GW do not use him correctly. No matter how popular he gets you will see that there will not be very many more exceptional GW than there are now. GW is a character that is easy to be okay with b/c of his strong smashes and bair but is very difficult to play at the level of noj or cosmo or any of the other greats

blue_pizza

Smash Rookie
lol i guess im pretty good with him im like 2nd or 3rd best on gamebattles and the only reason i even started using him is becuase me and my friend were liek lets just play some lvl 9s i was liek ok and we all went random and we both got G&W and we owned them first time and we were like lets get good with him. i dint even know he was high or top tier i thought he sucked at the time. now im glad i chose to main him. :)

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
Well, that wasn't my PRIMARY reason. One of the reasons I chose him is because almost nobody played him, so nobody really knew how to counter him or fight against him.

But the whole "Using an unpopular character makes you original" thing; that comes as a bonus. Unconsciously. It's just...there.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Thats the tourney rankings.
People still dislike his old melee self or prefer playing Snake. G&W is clearly better than all of those characters aside from MK ;D

goodoldganon

Smash Champion

For Game and Watch and ROB I make an exception. They are joke characters, but by a bizarre and sick turn of events they are some of the games better characters. I liked it when Game and Watch was a bad character and you could use him just for fun. Meh, my 2 cents is that G+W and ROB are too good for being joke characters, while real Nintendo characters like poor Link and Yoshi are garbage.

Neb

Smash Lord
G&W, a joke character? He's a veteran of Nintendo, he was mario before mario was Mario.
If anything, Yoshi, lizard/hen/dinosaur is a joke.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Oh come on. Just look at him. He screams joke. Being a joke character doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be here, but he is clearly a goofy character. You take someone like Link seriously, but I don't take G+W seriously. Well, now I do since he kicks all sorts of ***.

Neb

Smash Lord
What is up with anti-GaW players calling Game, gay men watch?
><? He's responsible for creating most of the characters they know today, have some respect, lol.

GiNO The KiDD

Smash Cadet
doesn't bother me, alot of GW mainers dont know how to use him correctly.
yea, most G&W players use him because they see actual good players win tournys with him, so they pick him up thinking they can just go and win one to.But most of them use him wrong and arent that good.It was better when he was low tier, but that doesnt change the beastly G&W from owning.

Amide

Smash Lord
He's one of the characters that everyone hates for no good reason. I'll admit, it is awesome to beat someone with LAME and watch. (Sorry, couldn't help myself:()

But some G&W mains say that they wish he was a little worse so he wasn't a character that everyone played. Your thoughts?

pockyD

Smash Legend
the only legitimate reasons to hate your main being popular are

1) you hate dittos
2) you are an unoriginal player, so you fear that when the metagame develops answers to your character, you will be unable to adapt

...and lol @ people saying others are "using him wrong"...

BEES

Smash Lord
I don't know but I miss the old parachute. That overpowered move was so fun and satisfying. Now whenever I play Game&Watch it's always a slowly encroaching wall of priority. No big hits, just gradually nickel and diming everyone else to death. I don't get as much from it.

It's not as fun for me, but the character is certainly better overall if your goal is winning.

Possibly the best character in the game when it comes to that.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
G&W is fun to play as but I usually cant get that good of killing moves off, just combos

Steck

Smash Journeyman
G&W deserves his fame for being put through all the melee abuse. Finally our time has come! We are the good character that is not Snake or Meta Knight!

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
the only legitimate reasons to hate your main being popular are

1) you hate dittos
2) you are an unoriginal player, so you fear that when the metagame develops answers to your character, you will be unable to adapt

...and lol @ people saying others are "using him wrong"...
using him wrong seems to be the term in FL... there are a handful of GW mains here that dont even make top 25 in our average tournies... thier obviously lacking skill.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I liked G&W in melee even though he sucked.. I'm glad he's good this time around. I don't really see many G&W players, I've been to a couple tournaments in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area here and the only other G&W player I've seen is 56k, and even he plays a few different characters. So I guess I get the best of both worlds; a relatively unused character(at least in this area), AND a good one :)

Top Bottom