• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I actually do wanna waste my money on paranormal activity 4 just as I wasted my money on final destination 5.

I love how these movies continue further.
That's the thing: it doesn't.
The entire premise is that the kidnapped baby from PA2 was adopted by a family, and everything built up for this: nothing really. There's a single throwaway line where they mention there is a three part thing to something which includes a child showing powers, demonstration of that power, and sacrifice of a virgin, which all happens, but it doesn't really do anything. It's a very stilted movie that clearly is just to set up PA5.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I remember as a kid I was genuinely phased by that plane blowing up in FD... I dunno if that was the first one or what. I haven't seen any of them since
Though I heard that there's a part in one of them where a guy falls back on applied acupuncture needles, I had a hardly lol at that one

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
CK was pretty much right with the summary, lol.
But I enjoyed the movie for what it was. It had quite a few scares, and was kind of funny to me lol. As usual, the last few minutes of the movie was were **** got real serious and wild lol.

Wasn't a fan of how the movie ended so abruptly.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'm pretty much liking where this is going.

I don't think I've seen a marvel movie taking a wide dramatic turn until now.

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
Marvel...Yeah, I'm gonna go watch it...But just because it's on my cuz's birthday...

NOW Wreck it Ralph! I'm Sooo gonna watch that. Sonic and Dr. Eggman are going to make camo apperances, as well as Bowser!

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The Iron Man Rises?

But in all seriousness, it does sort of create that mood for the third movie lol.

I'm really excited for Skyfall. Reviews have been great so far.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So the villain in Iron Man 3's name is The Mandarin, or just Mandarin
Super skilled in martial arts
Super intelligent and down with science (especially concerning aliens)
Wears ten super rings with their own individual powers

sounds like Marvel I guess

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Oh sweet, movie thread.

One of the most recent movies I've seen and loved was Oldboy. Anyone seen it?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I remember watching Oldboy on my ps3 and not knowing how to turn subtitles on... so I watched the whole thing in straight Korean.
Not an unenjoyable experience. You can imagine my frustration though when I didn't know what the bad guy told him at the end to make him go all crazy. I admit that having to look up a synopsis online later mitigated the shock value.

I remember that one really long shot of him fighting in the hallway. **** that was an awesome few minutes. That actor apparently actually broke a bone and kept going.

I should watch it again

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I remember watching Oldboy on my ps3 and not knowing how to turn subtitles on... so I watched the whole thing in straight Korean.
Not an unenjoyable experience. You can imagine my frustration though when I didn't know what the bad guy told him at the end to make him go all crazy. I admit that having to look up a synopsis online later mitigated the shock value.

I remember that one really long shot of him fighting in the hallway. **** that was an awesome few minutes. That actor apparently actually broke a bone and kept going.

I should watch it again
Damn, that sucked. Man, that twist was weird.

It's on Netflix but it's the English dub. I love the English dub though. It's also on Youtube, korean dub with english subs.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Oldboy is okay, but overrated. Watch Sympathy for Lady Vengeance instead
I've seen the Vengeance trilogy. It goes Oldboy 1st, Mr. 2nd and Lady 3rd for me.

I really did like the part that the MC gave the parents of the murdered children the chance at a piece of revenge.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I don't know if anyone on the internet hasn't heard already lol

I'm excited. Of all studios capable of handling a franchise that large, Disney has what it takes to make better movies than Lucas' latter 3

...latter chronologically

...chronologically as pertaining to movie releases

you know what I mean

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just saw Wreck It Ralph. Had mixed feelings about it to be honest. I felt like they teased us with all these video game references in the trailer only for it
to take up the first 30 minutes of the movie.

It felt like a part of me wanted the references to be more in tune with the story, while another part of didn't want video game references at all. Scott Pilgrim didn't have characters from video games, but the references were constant throughout the movie.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
How references should be in tune with story doesn't really apply to me. This is just a story about an a video game villain not wanting to be the villain anymore. I still haven't watched the movie as of yet though, so I don't really know why you would think that.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yes the movie is about a video game villain no longer wanting to be a villain. But when your trailers and advertisements tease other video game characters, and has that as your big draw, you expect them to play a bigger role. It's like going into a movie expecting one thing only for it to do a 180 and perform something else. Another comparison is when you watch trailers for a comedy movie that has that one really funny joke, and it turns out, it's the only funny joke in the entire movie.

The characters are just there for no reason at all to be honest. Like I said, you could have made this movie without them, and it would possibly be better.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
now why the heck would they do something like that?

Why are you going to see it?

My reason: Bowser. He is such an iconic villan, and, Let's be honest, We all know that our fave 100% final boss was gonna make it Someday on the big screen! And then there's Sonic and Dr. Eggman and Clyde and....You get the idea. So I tell you now, ARE YOU READY TO WRECK IT!?!
oh

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
You know what, you do have a good point there. The thing is that I expected all those notable video game characters in the movie only to be cameos. How they should be part of the story will not really make much sense from here, but at least you have Q*bert being a part of the movie. I would pretty much go wtf if sonic were to help out Ralph how to become a hero. I would go wtf if bowser was to be in sugar rush racing with a go-kart. It goes on and so forth.

The reason they have those characters as cameos in the movie is to enhance the experience of a video game world that people don't know about, and hell yeah is it intriguing to watch because of it. It can be already as good without them though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well honestly, it does not enhance the experience for me. Like I said, Scott Pilgrim did a better job of giving that video game feel, and that movie did not even have video game characters.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Why did you think they would be anything more than cameos? The trailer didn't suggest it wouldn't be about ralph. Don't get blue-balled

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The reason they have those characters as cameos in the movie is to enhance the experience of a video game world that people don't know about, and hell yeah is it intriguing to watch because of it. It can be already as good without them though.
dude, they are there for marketing purposes. nobody would be nearly as interested in this movie if that trailer didn't have "OMG VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS, THEY MADE THIS MOVIE FOR MEEE" ****. there is no draw without those cameos, no matter how big/small a part they play in the actual movie. It seemed extremely obvious to me from the first time I saw the trailer.

it's like when Inglourious Basterds was coming out and was advertised as an action packed Kill Bill-esque movie when in reality it's a slow-paced, dialogue-heavy art film

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I haven't seen it yet but I would enjoythe cameos and want them to remain just that. I heard that there were a few less obvious references scattered throughout the movie but that it wasn't on the level of Scott pilgrim. I think SP pulled them off perfectly but regardless I want to see this for the story, it's the new toy story for those of that era who can still enjoy, I hope it lives up tothat expectation in terms of story and character rather than references. Also I'm really glad they don't even show you the actual villain, it's a mystery I don't want ruined, I'm looking forward to it personally.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Saw Wreck It Ralph! Disappointed.

The highly advertised game characters were nothing but cameos (without them, nobody would ever consider seeing this movie), the setting was kinda cool with video game central. But then that interest died later on in the movie because it became more focused on that candy land racing game. The villain (I'm always looking for good villains :p) was nothing more than some attention w**** glitch. I was hoping it would be like "the creator".

That's all I'll say for now but I'll get more thoughts later. :p

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^I stopped reading at villain for fear of spoilers but again, no one should ave expected more than a cameo. Yes it was a marketing scheme but the movie was obviously centered around Ralph and his story, the AA esque meeting seemed hilarious to me and seeing fan favorites seems cool to me, a good chance to make some hard htting jokes and references; but did any of you actually expect this movie to involve them as characters?

There are plenty of reasons you could have been disappointed by the movie but if you went to see it for that scene and feel robbed by the fact Bowser didn't play a pivotal role then I don't see how you could have thought that was possible. I do want it to be filled with references (Scott Pilgrim style, not with actual scenes of subspace emissary without any plot) but I never expected more than that and the cameos to me are just a plus (assuming the scenes with them is actually funny/relevant which IMO it seems to be form the trailers).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I was hoping the video game characters would play a bigger role than just showing up for one scene. For example, in the trailer we see
Ralph in his villain circle telling his story to Zangief and crew. I was hoping at some point, we get to see those guys again, pushing Ralph forward or possibly doing their own thing to become the "good" guy.

But that's the only scene you get with them, and that's that.

Overall, I'd give it a B- or C+. Once the story itself picked up and the video game cameos got out of the way, the story was well done. Like I said, this whole movie could have probably done better without any cameos if they were going to do nothing but be cameos./

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I'll admit it would have been nice to see them show up at the end and lend a hand being all powerful and **** but I never expected that because they probably paid a lot of money just for that scene.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
SKYFALL looks soooo sick

Anyone see Cloud Atlas? I'm super hesitant to see it because of mixed reviews and it's super longgg

probably gonna watch Flight for sure this week

Perks of Being a Wallflower was aight. few weird moments

Peeze

Smash Master
Saw Skyfall already. Must say first I'm not a Bond fan at all.
Caution Extreme spoiler here >
More of a fan of M, so her death was bitter
But i do think Javier Bardem did a fantastic job as the villain. Probably one of the best villains in the last 10 movies. That was definitely a return to what made Bond movies great.
I enjoyed it alot. Felt like an actual bond movie, not the unrealistic feel of the last several.

Top Bottom