• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most overrated character

Sirami

Smash Cadet
I'd say MK based on the fact that there was a huge debate as to whether or not he should be banned... which is just silly... Characters aren't banned for consistently winning. They are banned when the arcade doesn't feature the character, or when they are the only viable option in tournament play.

Snake on FD is a solid CP for MK, IMO, and I suspect that other character/stage combos work pretty good as well.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
MK bans FD.

GGs.

I'm not a Snake main, but doesn't Snake fare well on stages with platforms?

MK ***** people on his good stages too.

MK makes so many characters inviable, just look at Marth.

Marth has 3 bad matchups: Snake, Dedede, and MK.

Dedede and Snake aren't that bad, but Marth is completely inviable to win a national/other big tournament because MK beats him badly.

The MK ban talks have essentially died off, but months ago banning him would've been completely reasonable.

Infinite Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Well either Olimar, or Wario. Sure Wario can kill some characters at low damage but he usually gets killed first because of his slowness. And Olimar is tremendously easy to kill if you destroy his pikmin. He can't even recover without them. But then there is also Picachu. That annoying little mouse. Sigh. Well I am going to say Wario.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I don't know, but I feel like I want to say D3. He just doesn't seem amazing to me. I know why he is good, but it doesn't stand out a lot to me, probably because you only use a few of his moves.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Why is Metaknight showing up so much here? Overrated means people think think/advertise the character as being better than they actually are. Metaknight is the best character in the game at the current metagame and tournies, so saying "Metaknight is the best character" does not mean he is overrated, it is truth and no matter how much people argue it is the truth. Now, if everyone on Smashboard was saying "ZOMG Metaknight is like, TOTALLY impossible to beat, he ***** everyone and there is no way of beating him" then yes, he would be overrated. Metaknight is far from unbeatable. There are very few serious people on Smashboards that I have seen say he is unbeatable however, so he is not overrated. I had to let that out =P

On topic, some overrated characters I think:

1) Falco- said a lot, no explaining needed really
2) Lucario- Idk, he went down on the tier list but I never quite understood what the big deal is, his kill moves except his dair are pretty laggy and his recovery is subpar.

IMO

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Meta Knight's the best character in the game, yeah. But just how insanely good he is, has been overrated. And people still talk about him being "impossible to beat", so I'd say he qualifies as overrated. XD

zeldspazz

Smash Master
*waits for responses* this could take a while solid =P imma go search cus im bored

Lovely

Smash Lord
Ganon. I mean, all you have to do is Warlock Punch. No wonder he's so high on the tier list! :p
♣ They should had keep G tier for God tier for Ganondorf. I mean he has a G on his name for a reason, amirite? ;p ♥

DDM

Smash Journeyman
As far as Metaknight goes, yeah he's definitely beatable -- either by an immensely strong character, or just a very smart player.

That being said, a character I've found to be overrated is King Dedede. I've been corrected before with mention of the chaingrab and other tactics. I just feel comfortable playing against him, human or CPU. I never really feel like I'm in danger of losing the match.

nasir123

Smash Ace
well as far as over rated goes i seriously think that m/k is because in now days people can get passed him with the slightest bit of ease.

for example one of the biggest brawl tourny's APEX there was only 1 M/K in top 5 and that should show a lot.

plus in addition snake is not overrated because there are many was to get around him.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
well as far as over rated goes i seriously think that m/k is because in now days people can get passed him with the slightest bit of ease.

for example one of the biggest brawl tourny's APEX there was only 1 M/K in top 5 and that should show a lot.
I think its a bit harder that "the slightest bit of ease" against a good metaknight at a competitive level ;)

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
metanite isnt har 2 beat lawlz, sooo overated. hes 2 lite nd week

Now that that's out of the way, I honestly don't think any character is overrated, and if so, not by much. Quite a lot of thought has gone into the pros and cons of each character since Brawl's release.

If anyone is overrated, in my opinion, it's D3, due to people over-playing the chaingrab, or -yes- Metnakight, only in that so many people consider him unbeatable due to his tier placement and the general complaining that goes on regarding him.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
I would say Meta Knight or especially Snake. But Wario just takes the cake. 3rd place? His range is HORRIBLE. Good luck to him touching me easily without being punished.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
If anyone is overrated, in my opinion, it's D3, due to people over-playing the chaingrab, or -yes- Metnakight, only in that so many people consider him unbeatable due to his tier placement and the general complaining that goes on regarding him.
Show me where a legit, competitive, and well minded smasher says this. Where are all these people who say he is unbeatable and actually know what they're talkinga about?

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
Show me where a legit, competitive, and well minded smasher says this. Where are all these people who say he is unbeatable and actually know what they're talkinga about?
Since when did "overrated" translate "overrated by the competent tourny-goers and people I think actually know anything about the game"? I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the OP. If you can show me this, than maybe you have a case. As it stands, the thread is simply the most overrated character-- not the one your idea of the "elite" overrate. This includes the ideas of fools who really don't know what they're talking about and are just jumping on the anti-MK bandwagon. Which I've seen plenty of.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
Falco or Toon Link...and Metaknight, but I hold a personal grudge against the latter though...also Marth is overrated

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'd agree with Falco to an extent, not Toon Link or Meta Knight.

Marth's fairly overrated, yeah. That's reasonable. Not sarcasm, I never did think of Marth.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
He has a point, Wario's range sucks. He MUST be a garbage character.

Solid, there were 2 people that agreed with me on this so I must be right.
10shadow13s

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
pretty much every Starfox character. around the time Brawl came out, people actually thought Wolf was gonna be the next Marth.

seriously.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
he is on Youtube, anyway. anytime a pro loses as Fox to another person using another character(like say, CJ's DK) there is a whole bloody debate talking about how no one should be able to beat a Fox pro in Melee.

basilioyugi

Smash Cadet
i will just defend the characters i use and say the most overated and why
first of all olimar is not overated, he got one of the best if not the best camping game, strong smashes with and is the fastest damage racking machine in the game, i know he dies fast due to gimping but if u camp properly and u know the best options u have at all time it wont be as easy to gimp as that plus due to his fast damage racking abilities if u get gimp the oponent will have a high damage unless gimped at low percentage.

second king dedede has the best range game even without his chaingrab he is a decent character , if he didnt have it he should be in high tier atleast because of his high priority and long ranged grab with a backthrow dealing 16% back throws,for 13% and in low percents and at most times ull be able to connect 2 of them and the ftilt and waddle that are geart defensive technics for preventing the enemy to aproach, if u dont think he is so great add all i said to his uptilt with SA frames and that kills 90% of the characters at 90% damage. as said before u need to keep preasure on him, well u can keep the preasure and combo him like hell, but thats not something a good king dedede worries about, u know why cuz we all know that as soon as u get grab ,which is something relatively easy having the best grab in the game , we gonna chaingrab u and edgeguard you, if not killed you'll have enought damage to die with and attack and also with good DI the good DDD's dies at 180+

and the most overated is falco, the reasons are he has hard time killing and most of the time they'll chaingrab spike u , if played well the matchup he wont be able to chaingrab spike u so ull be able to take advantage of this lack of killing moves and bad recovery moves to edguard and gimp him, u just need to know the timing to hit him from his side-b move

his pros
got chaingrab spike
excelent camping game
good combos
good damage racking technics

his cons
lack of killing moves
he sucks at most counterpick stages
almost easy to gimp
easy predict
not that good DI

i know hes not that bad but he is overated he doesnt deserves to be a top tier (s tier)maybe in the middle of the a tier or top of b tier

Top Bottom