• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Nerfed & Most Buffed

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Ness got buffed.

A freaking lot.

Buffs: Ness, Game and Watch, Zelda, Kirby, Luigi
Nerfs: Falcon, Ganon, Jiggles, Sheik

IMO, Luigi got buffed. I mean, wavedashing is out, making him a crapload not as good, but he still seems really good. And for Ness, no more double-jump canceling, but lawl at killgrabs.

Down B's the best buff example.

And ROFL proved that Luigi can still combo. lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
-----------------
Major Buffs (great improvement since Melee)

Kirby
Pikachu
Zelda
Mr. G&W
Falco
-----------------
Minor Buffs (decent improvement since Melee)

Donkey Kong
Luigi
Ness
-----------------
Minor Nerfs (weakened at a few spots, but still good)

Link
Samus
Peach
Sheik
Marth
-----------------
Major Nerfs (weakened to a severe state where they're almost pathetic)

Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
-----------------
Hardly any changes (basically the same as in Melee)

Mario
Yoshi
Fox
Bowser
Ice Climbers
-----------------

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
-----------------

Falco
-----------------

Samus
Peach
Sheik
-----------------

Fox
Bowser
-----------------
'Splain please and thankyou.

Samus = THE NEW NERF FOOTBALL.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness got buffed in such a way that only Ness players realized how well he was changed.

All specials sped up and less laggy
Uair kills so well
Yo-yos are now his best moves
PKT is extremely quick and oriented with mindgames
PKT2 kills very easily
Harder to gimp recovery

Anyways, Mario was nerfed a bit, Fox was moderately nerfed, Samus is as quoted above
THE NEW NERF FOOTBALL

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Ness got buffed in such a way that only Ness players realized how well he was changed.

All specials sped up and less laggy
Uair kills so well
Yo-yos are now his best moves
PKT is extremely quick and oriented with mindgames
PKT2 kills very easily
Harder to gimp recovery

Anyways, Mario was nerfed a bit, Fox was moderately nerfed, Samus is as quoted above
Lol.

My friends and I make jokes about the nerfed characters.

Falcon's muscles aren't made of pure win anymore. They're made of fire, win, and foam padding.

And Jiggles could actually be used as a football.

Oh wait. Balloons can't be thrown easily. Never mind.

BEES

Smash Lord
-----------------

...Falco

How is going from 2nd best character in the game to around 7-8th a buff? All the top tiers got nerfed. Falco and Marth weren't nerfed as much as some of their peers, but they were quite noticeably nerfed.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
How is going from 2nd best character in the game to around 7-8th a buff? All the top tiers got nerfed. Falco and Marth weren't nerfed as much as some of their peers, but they were quite noticeably nerfed.
How does position in a tier list explain how a character is buffed or nerfed? 7th - 8th means bottom of top, exactly what Melee Falco was, so don't even start with that.

BEES

Smash Lord
How does position in a tier list explain how a character is buffed or nerfed? 7th - 8th means bottom of top, exactly what Melee Falco was, so don't even start with that.
Position in the tier list tends to correlate with a character's metagame potential.

Moving down from one game to the next would suggest that a character has lost some of its potential, relative to the other characters.

7th-8th is not bottom of top. It's bottom of 2nd tier, or top of 3rd. Look at the back room character discussion, the rank threads, the tier discussions.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I dont think anyone can really call Falco nerfed of buffed since he has completely changed as a character. Almost all of his leg attacks were changed, and so was his down B move. He's just not the same character anymore.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
Moving down from one game to the next would suggest that a character has lost some of its potential, relative to the other characters.
So if the hypothetical 1-7th were only slightly better than Falco it pretty much makes him completely nerfed?

Granted, this is not true, but you compare how good he is with the relative standard of play for each game as opposed to what you're doing; taking the place he's in as far as tier list is concerned.

As far as I know, the only things that I can see better than Falco or on his level are, in order; Snake, MKnight, Marth, and Game and Watch, but either way the place in the tier list does not make a character good or bad.

Also iirc many vets don't agree with the current melee tier list and believe Falco should be below Marth, but don't quote me on that.

I dont think anyone can really call Falco nerfed of buffed since he has completely changed as a character. Almost all of his leg attacks were changed, and so was his down B move. He's just not the same character anymore.
He was nerfed because the changes were for the worst :?

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Well out of all the veterans I believe Falco is considered the best at this point. (with the possible exception of G&W). So he can be buffed but the new characters are just better.

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
Your an idiot, you dont know S*** about the current tier list estimation, Falco IS top tier, probably the third best in the game GG.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
poor poor ganon! and most 'the top teir has been butcherd!
sakurai and his gang went toooooooo overboard when they
tried to weaken the best to acheive...
(Best=same skill as worst)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
G&W is easily the best one with zelda close and even ness is good.

but what the hell did they do to falcon and jiggz lmfao. samus is still pretty deceant but since the larger cast and better options it seems that much worse.

shiek is no longer top/high and fox barely makes high

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Ness had gotten a bit of a boost, but lucas still seems to be better, although only time will tell. Lucas at the very least counters Ness, unless we find Techniques for Ness.

also, G&W is definitely a lot better, and I can't really give too much of a opinion cause I haven't played melee in so long. Falcon's been dropped, but I still think he's an okay character, at least non-competitively. who can resist the punch when fighting low level players?

I'm kinda rambling on now, but basically, I have to agree with everyone else.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Falco seems okay still. He can laser lock ( I know it's not going to happen often in tournaments but when it does, you pretty much get a free KO.) Falco also has chaingrab-->Spike which is pretty cool. Love how Pikachu and G&W were buffed xD

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
Why do people say IC got buffed, they were already good. NANA got buffed.

And it isnt very debatable that GAW was the buffed the most, and CF got nerfed the most.

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
-----------------

Kirby
Pikachu
Zelda
Mr. G&W
Falco
-----------------
Minor Buffs (decent improvement since Melee)

Donkey Kong
Luigi
Ness
-----------------

Link
Samus
Peach
Sheik
Marth
-----------------
Major Nerfs (weakened to a severe state where they're almost pathetic)

Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
-----------------

Mario
Yoshi
Fox
Bowser
Ice Climbers
-----------------
Mario was great in Melee IMO, definitely a nerf. And a big blow loosing tornado recovery.

Bowser definitely buffed

Fox nerfed

Samus and Peach are major nerfed

I agree with the rest. Except for Falco. If Falco got majorly buffed he would be banned from competitive play :p. He was still amazing in Melee.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Mario was great in Melee IMO, definitely a nerf. And a big blow loosing tornado recovery.

Bowser definitely buffed

Fox nerfed

Samus and Peach are major nerfed

I agree with the rest. Except for Falco. If Falco got majorly buffed he would be banned from competitive play :p. He was still amazing in Melee.
FLUDD is awesome for edgegaurding and mario wasn't weakened, it's just that his overall spot has dropped. Too many people are better than him now.

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
Biggest Nerf: Falcon. He never deserved to get this bad of a nerf. He wasn't even broken in melee. **** you Sakurai for ruining the coolest character in this game. To make up for this give him his gun in the next smash game.

Biggest Buff: G&W. This guy was awful in melee. He was light weight, had a very predictable recovery and worse of all three of his aerials couldn't be L cancelled. Now his priority is great his recovery is much more stellar, and his down throw sets up tech chasing.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Buffed:
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Pikachu
Game & Watch
Luigi
Zelda
Yoshi
Bowser
Toon Link???

Nerfed:
Mario
Samus
Fox
Sheik
Peach
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

Same:
Link
Marth
Falco
Ice Climbers
Ness

Tomanator33

Smash Apprentice
Major Nerf: Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Shiek, Samus, Link, Jiggs

Minor Nerfs: Fox, Mario, Peach

Major Buffs: Zelda, G&W, Kirby, Pika pika, Toon Link, Luigi

Minor Buffs: Ness, Falco, Yoshi

XxXBlueKillaXxX

Smash Cadet
I think that the most nerfed was definitely Yoshi. I can't really explain, but I used to win a ton with him, and now I just get pwned. Captian Falcon also got nerfed, he could dish out a lot more damage, and faster.

Hiro63

Smash Rookie
buffed:
ZELDA!!!
G&W

Nerfed:
Ganon
CF
Marth
Sheik(zero suit took her place)
jiggs
mario

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Samus's amazing z-air and her good close-combat potential are assets that should be considered when saying whether or not she's been majorly nerfed.

icewolf2249

Smash Cadet
Most nerfed isn't even a question. Falcon got a line drive straight to the nuts with the nerf bat. Samus also received an unnecessary, massive nerfing. Sheik got the the same treatment, but not as badly as the other two, in my opinion. I don't really find ganondorf nerfed; while still not a great character, he's definitely received a boost as far as I can tell.

The biggest buffs are definitely Zelda, Kirby, and Pikachu. DK is also high up on the list (I think he might have the best overall improvement, every aspect of him seems at least a little better). G&W and Luigi are definitely better than they were in Melee, but I don't consider that a buff. I think it's just because the playing style of Brawl is better suited to their strategies than Melee's was.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Nerfed:
Marth
Stop right there! He's lost combo/range/grab game, but if he's placing in possibly 4th or 5th in Brawl's tier list, I don't see how he's being nerfed. He's gotten a new Side B, stronger attacks in general, better recovery and more kill options now.

His edgeguarding game is still as good as ever

Top Bottom