• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Nerfed & Most Buffed

flyingemus

Smash Rookie
Who would you guys say are the most buffed or nerfed characters in the game?

I would say that Captain Falcon is definately one of the most nerfed. Sheik is also quite bad compared to Melee. Peach is much worse than Melee. Samus is another.

Kirby is much better than SSBM, as is G&W, Bowser, and the Ice Climbers.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Hit by the nerf bat:
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Peach
Sheik
Fox

(Oh the almighty have fallen)

Buffed:
Zelda, I think she's the most buffed character in the game. Marth and G&W play a lot like in Melee so I don't consider them to be buffed, and the new Top Tiers are newcomers so...

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
top 5 nerfed:
1 cap'n
2 sheik
3 peach
4 ganon
5 jiggz

buff
1 G&W
2 pika
3 DK
4 zelda
5 luigi

i dont consider ICs buffed, they are just exploited... and i dont consider fox nerfed since he was exploited (falco and marth were nerfed imo though)

storm92

Smash Ace
Top 3 nerfed the most in my opinion:
1. Sheik
2. Captain Falcon
3. Peach

Top 3 buffed IMO:
1. Game & Watch
2. Kirby
3. Zelda

If Young Link-->Toon Link counts, as it is pretty much the same character, he definitely got a good boost.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Buffs: Game and Watch, Pikachu, Zelda, Kirby.
Nerfs: Falcon, Gannondorf, Jigglypuff, Sheik.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Nerfed: Ganon, Capt.Falcon, Jiggs, Sheik, Peach
Buffed: Zelda, Luigi, G&W, Kirby

D13

Smash Ace
Hmm, I think worst nerf is sorta close between Samus, Falcon, and Sheik. G&W got the biggest buff from what I can see.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I've been playing Smash since the 64 days and I never bothered to excel with DK until Brawl came out. His buffs turned him into a great character for me, I fell into him without even realizing it.

As far as nerfs go, what happened to Gannon is lude and sick. I feel so sorry for him, he pulls out that incredible sword, for no reason. Those stupid *******s could've at least given him a COUPLE attacks he could use the sword with.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Nerfed: Captain Falcon, Shiek, Peach (in order)

Buffed: Pikachu (QAC has so much potential), Kirby, Game and Watch, Zelda, DK (not so much in order)

I honestly dont see Luigi as buffed or nerfed. He was changed, but not really for better or worse, just different. You cant dash cancel anymore, so his sliding cant really be used to his advantage anymore, but his practically broken aerial priority (and still awesome grounded priority) is definitely an amazing asset. Not the greatest hitboxes in terms of size, but that incredible priority still makes up for it, and imo though its harder to hit with (by a long shot) his side smash got a MASSIVE power boost. Plus his recovery is better. Therefore I say Luigi is too neutral to determine.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
In my opinion most nerfed in order is
1. Captain Falcon, brawl is not good to you.
2. Sheik, roles are reversed this time around.
3. Peach
4. Gannon someone didn't exercise between releases.
5. Jigglypuff at least this time you put flowers on our head.
6. Fox you aren't top anymore but at least you are high up.

Buffed in order in my opinion
1. Game and watch, seriously where did you even come from?
2. Pikachu, nearly everything of his was buffed. Some olden day glory coming back.
3. Zelda, it is your time to shine now.
4 Kirby, Sakurai is clearly biased.
5. DK is moving on up.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Fox wasn't really that nerfer. I mean he went from top to most likely high. As upposed to other characters like Shiek and Peach who went from Top tier to low or at best mid thats not that bad.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Fox wasn't really that nerfer. I mean he went from top to most likely high. As upposed to other characters like Shiek and Peach who went from Top tier to low or at best mid thats not that bad.
Personally, I think Sheik is better in Brawl, I mean look at her down smash

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Most Nerfed: Falcon

Most Buffed: Zelda

To all of those who say Samus got nerfed, it isnt so, she got a total overhaul, she plays a lot different from Melee, but she can combo like crazy now (see Egruntz's Samus please).

storm92

Smash Ace
And her lack of KO moves.
QFT.
I play Sheik and almost all my kills come from Vanish.
Fsmash is only good if you get the second hit in, but % needs to be >100%.
Fair, which was the real killer in Melee, has pretty much no knockback now in comparison and can hardly be used to KO.
Both Bair and Nair are decent, but as with Fsmash require more than 100% and sometimes even 150%. :ohwell:

???????

Smash Journeyman
I agree, Sheik's Fsmash is very lacking in KO power and far too punishable.

*Sheik has a few buffs but nothing compared to obvious amount of nerfs that she has taken (I'm usually not so blunt but they is very little comparison between how Sheik handled in Melee and how she handles in Brawl; granted the physics are different but Sheik has simply lost many of her positive attributes)*

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Nerf~
Peach
Captain Falcon's knee

Buff~
Zelda (Probably the biggest buff)
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
BOWSER

'Fro

Smash Lord
Nerfed:

Captain Falcon. Can't build on his momentum like he used to, and doesn't have enough power to make up for it. (Most nerfed)

Mario. Lack of range and priority, a much slower f-smash, and a smaller and slower cape.

Samus. N-air has much less damage and knockback, and she doesn't have a safe way of quickly getting around the stage. No wavedashing and a crappy roll. Plus her projectiles all lack knockback, and I do include the charge shot in that.

Sheik, though not by as much as people are making it out to be.

Ganondorf. Too....sloooooooooooooow...

Buffed:

Zelda. An obvious one.

Bowser, though he still struggles.

DK. Seriously looking like a dark horse high tier character.

Luigi. So much more fluid and can actually recover now.

Pikachu. More practical to use and has more power than he lets on.

Kirby. Not quite back to 64 glory days but definitely better.

Game & Watch. Lost more speed and priority, better hitboxes, easier sweetspots, and tons of power. (Most buffed)

Ulevo

Smash Master
Nerfs: Captain Falcon, Sheik, Samus, Peach (In Order)

Buffs: G&W, Zelda, Kirby, Pikachu (In Order)

With regards to some other characters stated:

I'm not sure of what to think on Ice Climbers. All of their attacks seem so **** weak to me compared to Melee, and they've lost the Wavedash and Wobble. But a lot of they Desync combos in Brawl look good, and they've got their Chain Grabs and Alternating Grabs to make up for it. Their recover is also a lot better, and they can both grab the ledge this time around. I'm not sure what to think on these guys.

Jigglypuff wasn't a character of mine in Melee, but I love her in Brawl. From what I can tell, she was more affected by the change in the physics engine than in her actual moveset, due to losing a reliable WoP. Her Fair has a major buff though, as does her Rollout. Her Rest is nerfed alright, but still kills fairly early. I'm not sure here either, but I wasn't a Jigg main in Melee.

Ganondorf is similar to Jigglypuff in the same regard with me, although I think everyone is very ignorant when it comes to Ganon. I think he has the potential to play an amazing game, despite all of his obvious disadvantages. His Forward B is too good, he has a lot of IASA frames on his attacks, he can combo reliably (and kill with those combos), and he can cancel the lag on his stomp.

I don't know why people think Luigi was nerfed. Luigi, despite losing the Wavedash (which is universal mind you), has recieved a lot of buffs. Better recover, more power, better priority. His aerial game is amazing too compared to a lot of characters.

Fox. He is nerfed because you probably couldn't get more broken than Fox Melee was. The nerf to him was minimal in terms of Tier placement, and he will still likely be High Tier, so I'm not sure if he's worth mentioning.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is obviously buffed. In Melee I played alot with Sheik and almost never with Zelda, and in SSBB I use Zelda alot and Sheik almost never. xD

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

thesultan2112

Smash Apprentice
Nerfs: Captain Falcon, Sheik, Samus, Peach (In Order)

I'm not sure of what to think on Ice Climbers. All of their attacks seem so **** weak to me compared to Melee, and they've lost the Wavedash and Wobble. But a lot of they Desync combos in Brawl look good, and they've got their Chain Grabs and Alternating Grabs to make up for it. Their recover is also a lot better, and they can both grab the ledge this time around. I'm not sure what to think on these guys.

i agree, i think the ics are a little weaker, their sqaul hamer doesn't have as much horzionatl range, (when recovering) and i think their bair is much weaker
of course fox, but lie someosaid earlier, he was tooo good, therfore, jsut the fundmatels of decreasing the speed in brawl makes him look nerfed

GW is def the msot buff, he's fast and has awomse attacks and prioty

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
Charizard was nerfed like hell. In melee you died when you touched him. But charizard was buffed from 64, i mean he was charmander back then......*pops out of a wall breathing fire* CHARMANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christ that was annoying

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there's a whole lot of people who realize how good Samus was in Melee

Falcon got taken down a notch, but the big deal is that he got screwed by the new game engine (like Ganon)

Samus is just blatantly worse move for move. she has four K.O. moves now (one of which totally sucks) and a spike, her ranged game is mediocre (don't know how they messed that up...I mean...aren't ranged attacks kinda supposed to be Samus's big thing?) and her character model is HUGE! lol stand her next to Fox in Melee, then stand her next to Fox in Brawl! her matchups against small characters are a sick joke

Top Bottom