• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most improved sequels?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I like Bioshock 2 better than the first, though most don't agree with me.

Hmm, Yakuza 3 is waaay better than Yakuza 2 imo, though I don't anyone else who's played it besides myself.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I like Bioshock 2 better than the first, though most don't agree with me.

Hmm, Yakuza 3 is waaay better than Yakuza 2 imo, though I don't anyone else who's played it besides myself.
I think Bioshock 2's overall package is better, but the first has the better campaign by far. The second as a great campaign, innovative multiplayer, and some stellar DLC(Minerva's Den, Protector Trials). I would say that both where definately worth the 20$ a piece, simply mind blowing games.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Haven't played the first one, but I hear Assassin's Creed 2 is a lot better than the first one on many levels.

And according to some people, same goes for Brotherhood improving over 2.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Haven't played the first one, but I hear Assassin's Creed 2 is a lot better than the first one on many levels.

And according to some people, same goes for Brotherhood improving over 2.
I'd have to disagree, I actually prefer the first greatly over the second, though I haven't played brotherhood. I prefer the simplicity of the the first over the overcomplexity of the second. I mean, was poison, throwing money, and guns all necessary additions?

finalark

SNORLAX
F-Zero GX > F-Zero X >F-Zero

I mean, this series defines this topic quite literally.
Pretty much. The only people who didn't like GX are either Game Cube haters or N64 fanboys.

Yakuza 3 was fantastic, I just wish that more people played it. I never played 1 or 2 so no opinion there.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'd have to disagree, I actually prefer the first greatly over the second, though I haven't played brotherhood. I prefer the simplicity of the the first over the overcomplexity of the second. I mean, was poison, throwing money, and guns all necessary additions?
I actually prefer Brotherhood over the second, and the second over the first. No, you don't really need all that stuff, but it's really fun. And poison was pretty useful; it can distract the guards. :3c

Yakuza 3 was fantastic, I just wish that more people played it. I never played 1 or 2 so no opinion there.
I think it's because it's practically unheard of, and it's really "different," for lack of a better word. I like the characters' interaction more in 2, but I found the difficulty curve of that game very up and down.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think it's because it's practically unheard of, and it's really "different," for lack of a better word. I like the characters' interaction more in 2, but I found the difficulty curve of that game very up and down.
It's mostly because SEGA's comes to advertising their in-house games outside of Sonic. Shame, really. Because they make so many better games.

Lurker guy

Smash Apprentice
Metroid!
Not because Metroid wasn't anything special, because it was, but because Super Metroid is so amazing.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Street Fighter 2.

Star Fox 64.

Mario Kart 64.

GGXX.

and some others I can't remember. I personally like F-Zero X better than GX, but I can see the improvements.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Pokemon Gold/Silver to Pokemon Red/Blue.

Two regions to explore, more mons, more to do, game play improvements, ect.

finalark

SNORLAX
Hoenn was by far the hight of the franchise
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this, although I'll see if I change my mind once I finish White.

I'm pretty sure that the reason why most people didn't like R/S/E is because it had no connection to the previous games.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this, although I'll see if I change my mind once I finish White.

I'm pretty sure that the reason why most people didn't like R/S/E is because it had no connection to the previous games.
I just think it was the most polished and interesting generation with some of the coolest starters just seems the most appealing and easily enjoyed of them all

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Have to agree that Mass Effect 2 is infinitely better than Mass Effect 1. After playing through ME2 four times I went back to ME1 and couldn't stand it.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Pokemon Gold/Silver to Pokemon Red/Blue.

Two regions to explore, more mons, more to do, game play improvements, ect.
That was my first post!

FFTA2 was a lot better than FFTA in terms of gameplay, which is pretty much all I was looking for. Take that, terrible law system!

Kira-

Smash Champion
Donkey Kong Country 2 to Donkey Kong Country

Super Mario World to Super Mario Bros 3
^This guy wins.

Also,

Mario Kart 64 > SMK (but not Double Dash)

TimeSplitters 2 > TS

SSBM > SSB64 =P

sorry I did not like any of the Halo's after the first

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Mario World was that vast an improvement over 3, honestly. Like I said earlier, the transition from Mario 2 to Mario 3 is much bigger
And also, Mario 2 in America isn't the same as in Japan, their Mario 2 was Mario: The Lost Levels on All Stars. Here is my personal chart (though not all of it is based around sequels
Mario 2<Super Mario 1<SM3<New Super Mario Bros <NSMBWii<Super Mario World
Most of you wont agree with NSMB/Wii being at the top, but they where by far some of the most enjoyable Mario games

finalark

SNORLAX
Kingdom Hearts 2 to Kingdom Hearts 1.

Combat actually felt like it had fluidity, you had better control over camera, reaction commands added to combat, more (and cooler IMO) levels, more customization and an epic shoot em up mini game.

The only things I felt that KH1 did better was story, pacing and end game content. KH2's story was all over the map and made no sense, the game sometimes dragged in places (I never really cared for the parts where you revisit levels to hunt down organization members) and the only thing to really do after you finish KH2 is Sephiroth and coliseum.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Metal Gear Solid 2 > Metal Gear Solid.

As much as I enjoyed playing as Snake, the whole idea of him being a sort of outside figure to the mission was a really neat addition in my eyes, and the whole banter between him and Otacon at the first part was just too good.
I always preferred Dead Cell to Foxhound, although I never found Vamp that interesting of a character; he seemed to have been placed in the story solely as a plot device for Fortune, and to get the final part of the story going.

But still, I agree that MGS had a fantastic/if not better story (or at least one that wasn't so hard to wrap your head around), and people liked the characters more, but in terms of gameplay, cutscenes, graphics, and overall content of the game (note this is from the EU version, which had the likes of boss rush, and that crazy cutscene editor included as standard) were much better than the first game.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
And also, Mario 2 in America isn't the same as in Japan, their Mario 2 was Mario: The Lost Levels on All Stars. Here is my personal chart (though not all of it is based around sequels
Mario 2<Super Mario 1<SM3<New Super Mario Bros <NSMBWii<Super Mario World
Most of you wont agree with NSMB/Wii being at the top, but they where by far some of the most enjoyable Mario games
Yeah. I know. I was referring to Mario USA, but Mario 3 is way better than both Mario 2's. Lost Levels is a horrible game.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Seeing as it has the most stuff to do out of all the games, I agree with that too

Can you fly a plane in IV? I thought not

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
inb4 Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time.
It is.

Donkey Kong Country 2 to Donkey Kong Country

+More secrets (DK Coins, Lost World)
+Better placed bonus levels (no leap of faiths, and an actual prize that isn't bananas, a balloon, or a barrel leading you to another bonus level <_<)
+Better final boss (fight wise)
+two of my favorite kongs playable (Diddy and Dixie)
-No playable Donkey (only flaw imo)
Great choice, DKC2 was the best of the series.

San Andreas to GTA Vice City.
I have to disagree. Vice City was so much better than GTA 3, and I think it was the best in the series.

Star Fox 64.

Mario Kart 64.

GGXX.
Good choices.

But my award has to go to Dark Cloud 2. Dark Cloud was just a mediocre Zelda clone with some really poor design choices (thirst? Those awful duels/), and Dark Cloud 2 just blew it out of the water in every way. I'm still waiting for Dark Cloud 3 dam it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Tales of Symphonia ---> Tales of the Abyss.
Lufia: The Fortress of Doom ---> Lufia: The Rise of the Sinistrals.
Harvest Moons ---> Rune Factories.
Super Smash Bros ---> Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Super Smash Bros Brawl ---> Project M.
Donkey Kong Country ---> Donkey Kong Country 2.
Super Mario Bros 1 & Lost levels ---> Super Mario Bros 3.
Super Mario Galaxy ---> Super Mario Galaxy 2.
No More Heroes ---> No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle.
Zeldas NES ---> Zeldas SNES & N64.
Mario Party ---> Mario Party 2 (No broken sticks).
Early Final Fantasies ---> Final Fantasy VI (Then it got worse and worse).
Golden Sun ---> Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Diablo ---> Diablo 2.
Early Metroids ---> Super Metroid.
F-Zero X ---> F-Zero GX.
Fighting Street ---> Street Fighter 2.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Oh, I agree. I wish Diablo 2's classes were less "defined" and allowed more customization.

Matt07

Smash Master
Me too, I agree completely. And the skills were...meh. Way too many Hammerdins/Sorceress' playing now a days :(. Not to mention bots flood the servers, oh will it ran its course pretty well :).

And the feeling and atmosphere in Diablo 1 was a lot more better, way more scary.

Top Bottom