• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most improved sequels?

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
>_> I'm just not gonna comment...

PM ------------> TTYD
D/P -----------> B/W
GnG -----------> Super GnG
No
Yes
Not Sure

Don't wanna start an argument, but Paper Mario blows Thousand Year Door out of the water.
I was gonna say B/W actually, got Black recently, I'm on the third gym and I already feel it's better than D/P. I just feel that they are running out of ideas for pokemon. I mean seriously, the whole Vanillite group? Woobat? Replace W with Z and it is pronounced the same way as Zubat, real original. 3 Fire-Fighting starters in a row, not to mention Emboar itself, really pissed me off. I hope they don't rush the next generation(if there is one).

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I liked TTYD infinitely better than the original simply because it just felt like the original with some improvement (esp. the battle system). I like TTYD probably about 2% more than the original TBH.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I liked TTYD infinitely better than the original simply because it just felt like the original with some improvement (esp. the battle system). I like TTYD probably about 2% more than the original TBH.
Paper Mario was also my first RPG, so it holds a special place in my heart. Nostalgia, ruining people's gaming discussions since the beginning of time.
I must also say that Mother 3 is a HUGE improvement over Earthbound. It's just a more polished game with more developed characters, deeper plot, smoother battle system, better graphics, is just an all in all fantastic, well rounded, and polished RPG. The only complaint is that NINTENDO HATES US AND WON'T LOCALIZE IT!

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Paper Mario was also my first RPG, so it holds a special place in my heart. Nostalgia, ruining people's gaming discussions since the beginning of time.
I must also say that Mother 3 is a HUGE improvement over Earthbound. It's just a more polished game with more developed characters, deeper plot, smoother battle system, better graphics, is just an all in all fantastic, well rounded, and polished RPG. The only complaint is that NINTENDO HATES US AND WON'T LOCALIZE IT!
I agree that Mother 3 was better than Earthbound except for the plot, which made Earthbound sooooooo ****ing great. And PM was also my first RPG too.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just think that all in all the 3rd gen was the best out of all 5, in terms of both games and actual pokemon. I think that that was also one of the biggest jumps in quality also.
Plus R/S felt like brand new games while G/S felt almost like an expansion pack. Almost.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I just think that all in all the 3rd gen was the best out of all 5, in terms of both games and actual pokemon. I think that that was also one of the biggest jumps in quality also.
I don't
I could have been without 2v2. I also think the legendary Pokemon are ugly as **** compared to the first two generations.
The sprite quality is indeed alot better.

I don't think I can ever say GSC are outclassed when it comes to Pokemon games. Heart Gold and Soul Silver are amazing and leaps ahead of any other DS Pokemon game IMO

Plus R/S felt like brand new games while G/S felt almost like an expansion pack. Almost.
Huh?
You should explain yourself, since GSC changed alot in the Pokemon universe and started you off in an entirely different region...

finalark

SNORLAX
Eh, another day, another group of people disagreeing on the internet.

Huh?
You should explain yourself, since GSC changed alot in the Pokemon universe and started you off in an entirely different region...
First of all, "a lot" is two words. I swear, I'll shoot myself in the foot the day that that's added to the dictionary.

Anyway, G/S brought several changes such as the addition of a day/night cycle, the Pokegear, and that's pretty much it. Sure, it added new mons and a new region but at the same time felt quite a bit like R/B with a graphical bump and new content rather than a new game.

That's just my thoughts, though. I'll see if I change them if they ever remake R/S.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Eh, another day, another group of people disagreeing on the internet.

First of all, "a lot" is two words. I swear, I'll shoot myself in the foot the day that that's added to the dictionary.

Anyway, G/S brought several changes such as the addition of a day/night cycle, the Pokegear, and that's pretty much it. Sure, it added new mons and a new region but at the same time felt quite a bit like R/B with a graphical bump and new content rather than a new game.

That's just my thoughts, though. I'll see if I change them if they ever remake R/S.
Defensive much?
I'm not insulting you, I was just asking your reasoning.
GSC also added 2 new types, the splitting of the special stat, hold items, berries and shiny Pokemon off the top of my head.

finalark

SNORLAX
Hold on, before this goes anywhere are we trying to debate which game improved more or which game was more enjoyable?

Because as far as improvement goes, G/S wins.

Enjoyability? R/S.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Defensive much?
I'm not insulting you, I was just asking your reasoning.
GSC also added 2 new types, the splitting of the special stat, hold items, berries and shiny Pokemon off the top of my head.
But R/S/E added so much polish to those features, added 30+ types of berries, totally new graphics, a new region and set of Pokemon, double battles, and many other things that made the series what it is today. It also is the most interesting Gen of Pokemon and was one of the most original. The 3rd gen was when they figured out the formula perfectly and still had some fresh ideas floating around in their heads. You can tell that they are stretched for ideas after playing Black/White for more than 15 minutes. Great games, but seriously, Vanillish? They are hard pressed for ideas the day they make a bowl of ice cream a pokemon.

finalark

SNORLAX
The title of the thread can help you.
You'd be surprised how off-topic we can get.

I still think that, as games, R/S > G/S.

You can tell that they are stretched for ideas after playing Black/White for more than 15 minutes.
I think you and I might be the only two people on earth who think this. For me, Pokemon began stagnation after R/S/E. I didn't care for D/P/P, I didn't even finish HG, but I still picked up White after hearing about how fresh the game feels. I appreciate the stronger emphasis on story, the breaking of several traditions and the like but at the same time I'm really not that far into it and I'm already kind of bored.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Good God people! Lets all unite as one big union of people who think R/S/E are the best game (which should be 125% of you :mad:) and take this to a Pokemon thread

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
But R/S/E added so much polish to those features, added 30+ types of berries, totally new graphics, a new region and set of Pokemon, double battles, and many other things that made the series what it is today. It also is the most interesting Gen of Pokemon and was one of the most original. The 3rd gen was when they figured out the formula perfectly and still had some fresh ideas floating around in their heads. You can tell that they are stretched for ideas after playing Black/White for more than 15 minutes. Great games, but seriously, Vanillish? They are hard pressed for ideas the day they make a bowl of ice cream a pokemon.
What many other things?
What's original about having a rock, ice cube, and a robot as the big three.
I think the best two things they did were abilities and the improvement of weather.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
What many other things?
I think the best two things they did were abilities and the improvement of weather.
.....isn't this supposed to be a "Most Improved Sequels" thread, not 2nd vs 3rd gen thread. Take it to the Poke Center!

finalark

SNORLAX
What's so original about birds and dogs?

.....isn't this supposed to be a "Most Improved Sequels" thread, not 2nd vs 3rd gen thread. Take it to the Poke Center!
This is a thread about what sequels you think are better, I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen earlier.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
This is a thread about what sequels you think are better, I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen earlier.
I know that, but there has been over a page in an eight page thread just about this argument, thats overboard, we need to change the topic or move this argument to the thread it belongs in, a pokemon thread

And sorry that I didn't think there was going to be 3 pages on one game series, I don't have foresight. I was just trying to say that if there was going to be a huge discussion about it it needs to go to the appropriate thread.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
What's so original about birds and dogs?

The burden of proof is on you btw.
I probably would be more inclined to like them if they didn't look so ugly.
Gen 1 didn't have to be original, since it was the first in the series the whole game was...

finalark

SNORLAX
I know that, but there has been over a page in an eight page thread just about this argument, thats overboard, we need to change the topic or move this argument to the thread it belongs in, a pokemon thread
Well, in that case:

FFIV > The entire NES cycle.

MGS3 > MGS1 + 2

ES3 > ES2

F-Zero GX > X

Thousand Year Door > Paper Mario 64.

Yep.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
MGS3 is better than MGS4.

Also, the 3rd generation's altercation of the mechanics are why I don't play Pokemon anymore.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
MGS3 is better than MGS4.

Also, the 3rd generation's altercation of the mechanics are why I don't play Pokemon anymore.
Well you're really missing out cause Pokemon Black and White are the highest rated Pokemon games since Gold and Silver according to multiple sources.

EDIT:
Good God people! Lets all unite as one big union of people who think R/S/E are the best game (which should be 125% of you :mad:) and take this to a Pokemon thread
LOL you can go on ahead and try but you guys are gonna get **** on pretty fast and hard.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Well you're really missing out cause Pokemon Black and White are the highest rated Pokemon games since Gold and Silver according to multiple sources.
When the IV and EV system gets reverted to what it was in Generation 1 and 2 I'll start to care.
:glare:

I wish the SNES Starfox ran at 60fps......

Also, I like Ms. Pacman more than Pacman.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I don't understand why someone would dislike the new system though. It doesn't really do that much at all to effect casual gamers, but it greatly enhances the competitive aspect.

Thanks to the new mechanics that Gen 3 brought, Pokmeon now has a thriving competitive metagame that I, as well as many others, am currently active in.

What is it exactly that you dislike about IVs/EVs?

Top Bottom