• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Your character does not inherently become stronger as you go. Levels (Hunter Rank) are arbitrary beyond unlocking more difficult quests. Your goal is to fight monsters to harvest materials which allow you to make stronger weapons and armor in order to make it easier and more fun to fight more difficult monsters. So yes, it's your weapons that level up as you upgrade them with higher quality monster materials.

The way you grow is in your knowledge and flexibility with tactics and team chemistry.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Lol DDB.

And yea, i would compare it to Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1 & 2, cept there is alot less focus on smaller monsters. This game is basically all boss fights, and it's not very forgiving. It has a high learning curve imo, mainly bc of the massive amount of item/weapon/armor synthesis and the widespread attacks you have to endure.

No actual leveling up, besides what DDB said with unlocking new quest. Big focus is put on teamwork, and no there is no PvP, unless you want to mess with people so you get wrecked by a dragon or something (don't). You can play lone wolf too, but...you'll get wrecked lol. If you are interested, just try it out, and don't give up when you fail quests, bc you will fail hard in this game.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Sounds like I'd like this game. Is the online play uber laggy like Brawl? =P

Either way, I'll probably get it in the distant future, but I need to beat some games before adding on more. and my girlfriend's birthday is September, and that should probably come first...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
... Well this is my second double post ever. And... quadruple post more like it. Wow. x.x

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like I'd like this game. Is the online play uber laggy like Brawl? =P

Either way, I'll probably get it in the distant future, but I need to beat some games before adding on more. and my girlfriend's birthday is September, and that should probably come first...
*puts hands up to stop the bombardment of posts*

Lag? Better than brawl. The connection has been great for me. The most I've seen are people getting disconnected mid-game, but it's rare. Sometimes the game slows down when there are alot of different monsters in the area, but that's the game, not the servers. There are slight desyncs, where you might see a small monster get hit, but the player is a little further away, but it doesnt happen with the bosses, so it's negligible.

Only thing I've had happen lagwise that was bad was when a monster teleported from crawling unto the ceiling to right beside me...

Don't worry though, you'll be more upset with your inability to dodge on time than the server's performance.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Only bosses are synced. The first person in the area is the host. Which is why you want hammers to go first since lag hurts them the worst and they are so crucial for getting stuns. For normal enemies it is individual. So it looks like I am hitting nothing when in fact there is an enemy on my screen. When it dies it registers on all players so we can all carve. Ever noticed people mining nothing? That kind of gives it away.

I generally have no problems with connection but I do hate seeing people get DC and I hate when it happens to me mid quest.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Ah. One more question (you guys have been very helpful) I'm the kinda guy that plays a game to get 100%. Do you have to play online to acheive that? (I'm getting the game probably in September, have some other matters to attend to, and am curious that if I get it so late, and the wifi is meh, can I still complete)

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Yea, you're gonna need online to get 100%. Unlockable monsters, weapons, furniture, titles, armor, items...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well then...sounds like a sold deal to me. I just hope 2 months from now people still play so I'm not screwed.

Hypothetically, if in 2 months I can't find people to play with, is there no way to do it all offline? <_< I'd hate to buy the game and be screwed because I'm playing it 4~5months later than the crowd.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Offline will still rack you a lot of hours. I'm thinking... 20+. There are some exclusive monsters, materials (meaning without online you may not be able to upgrade a particular branch of weapon), and quest challenges online where most of the time your time will be spent. I can see 200+ hours if you want to get your Hunter Rank maxed (not necessesarily worth it :/ )

And the online service for the first Monster Hunter game lasted a few years (not sure how many). It's not like when you startplaying that everyone will be a high level, surly people quit as often as people start. You'll be in good company no matter what level you're at.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm tempted to get it, but with Zelda SS, 3DS, so much other stuff around the corner; I dunno. If I get it a few months from now, I hope we can all play!

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
It's a good'n.

But for the full experience, you do need to dedicate a lot of time :/

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Eh. Then it may be iffy. With a job, girlfriend, and college around the corner, dunno if I can have a time commitment game. It can't be worse than FFXI >_>

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Sounds good. Games < Life (especially college)
It's fun at the beginning stages as well so don't be intimidated by how much time you can potentially spend.

--

So I just beat Alatreon in ,15min :D

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Deviljho takes considerable elemental damage from everything (as long as you hit either the head or stomach (arms too?)). The most effective is probably Dragon attacks.

Pro tip: Deviljho is more vulnerable to elements when it's in rage mode.

Lobos

Smash Master
What are these johns lol.....I have a full time career, girlfriend, my kid, and school and still managed to have 254 hours lol and in no way am I close to HR 999 since im only at 89

btw Deviljho is weakest to dragon and thunder..........

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Same, and I've been delaying upgrading it bc it hit me: Why do I even need a sleep lance?

Btw, Rage Match. I've been prepping for it, and I'm looking for a group of competent folks to complete it. Maybe one of you folks...

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Im down but I'm in Cali without my Wii so, when?

edit: Nvm, won't be back by the 24th. Good luck without THE GREATEST GUNNER EVER!

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
This is the last day for Rage Match. I'll be on all day, I guess. Just message me if you're down. Name is the exact same.

Nevermind. I got my shiny leather pants. Good luck to anyone else doing the quest.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Where do you find Dragonbone Relic?
Probably the easiest way to get it is by fighting Deviljho in the Tundra (HR51+). You get them by gathering at the secret spawn points among different environments, or in Deviljho's nesting area in the Tundra.
When he's almost dead and limping away, if you follow him he will break open a new path that is otherwise inaccessable. Run past that first area with cats to his nest. You'll see a pile of bones against the wall in there towards the back.
Notice, you won't get the Relics EVERY time, they're still a rare dig. I think they're piled up with some Bone Husks, so don't be discouraged if you see those and keep digging.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Double Diablos is up, yields Soul Hunter Tag to upgrade that HellHunter jacket you barely wear. I'm doing it for that, and for the challenge, since it's an arena mission. Again, hit me up if you want to team, it'll be here till the end of the week.

edit: Did it today...so easy to get wrecked, but at least I'm done. Still willing to help folks out though, finding a good party is hard sometimes.

Lobos

Smash Master
I just need one more skypiercer to upgrade my GS.....sadly I ran out of scatterfish to make LBB+ yesterday

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Didn't that dual gobul arena quest give gourmet vouchers as a reward? Anyway I am still trying to finish up Hr 5*. Just need a good group to get through the quest.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
I did 7 runs of that yesterday lol...no Skypiercer. So disappointing after working to break the horns. But yea, as always, I'll be on, just find me by name (Wolfang) and identify yourself so I don't think you are a creeper.

And yes, the dual Gobul arena quest gave gourmet vouchers, I just have to wait for it to come around again.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Probably the easiest way to get it is by fighting Deviljho in the Tundra (HR51+). You get them by gathering at the secret spawn points among different environments, or in Deviljho's nesting area in the Tundra.
When he's almost dead and limping away, if you follow him he will break open a new path that is otherwise inaccessable. Run past that first area with cats to his nest. You'll see a pile of bones against the wall in there towards the back.
Notice, you won't get the Relics EVERY time, they're still a rare dig. I think they're piled up with some Bone Husks, so don't be discouraged if you see those and keep digging.

Getting Felyne explorer and doing non gathering Tundra Q is better since you can get the Dober set at HR40 instead of 50.

Top Bottom