• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Hope everyone had a fun Festival of Fear.

I particularly enjoy my new Jhen Cannon <33333

Rikana

Smash Champion
So my Wii kinda died. The red light's on but the power doesn't work. I put in my roommate's AC adapter and now it turns on, I can eject, but it doesn't go to the screen whee I press A to sync the wiimotes, it's just a blank screen. It's not an issue with the cables (except my old AC adapter)

Any idea on what to do? And if the Wii's totally gone already, is there anyway to salvage my MH3 save info or would I just have to restart totally when I scrounge up the cash for another wii?
I believe there is a way to back up the save file with some homebrew applications. Other then that, you would have to start all over because you can't normally just copy the save.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Mannnn, that means killing Lagi a thousand more times so he'd drop like 4 horns for the armor =[

It shouldn't be allowed to have a game this fun that I'd replay it after losing my Wii/progress.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Well, since you can store data on the wiimote...Idk dude, prevention is better than cure. But there are people that can disassemble your wii. Just like a comp, rip out the harddrive and put it in a new one.

Lobos

Smash Master
Im gonna enjoy damascus armor lol

my wii died after 2 weeks but I found a place near me that fixes wiis

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So a quick question for anyone who's beaten Ceadeus:
How long did it take you (if you've done this at all) to get a deep dragongem?

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Read slowly, and carefully.

Double post, but I seriously want to say something to the attack power junkies, especially you, who is wearing that full Rathalos+ armor, and if you use a slashaxe/greatsword/lance.

When you evolve a weapon, sometimes you get the choice of more slots/more base attack/more affinity. Most times, the affinity boost ranges somewhere in between 5% to 55% (all weapons I'm talking about here).

If your weapon has negative affinity, don't even read the rest of this, because no one wants bad luck, and I frankly don't care to give you or I a harder time.

Here is what I see. Affinity is the chance you have of your weapon doing 125% more than it normally does. Sounds great, but if your Affinity is like 10%, that only means you have a 1 in 10 chance of doing 125% damage. Great...sort of. Let's talk big numbers though.

There is an armor skill called Critical Eye, which comes in the +1, +2, and +3 form. Consiqently, it raises your Affinity by 10%, 20%, or 30%. To achieve something as massive as 30% though, you need 20 skill points on your armor allocated to Critical Eye. Wtf. The only way to get that many points is to use the Expert/Master jewel, which accordingly takes up 1 to 2 armor slots, and it (accordingly) gives you 1 to 3 skill pointsScrew OR you can Get an armor with the Critical Eye skill. That's okay, this is why I talked about the Rathalos+ armor. It has Critical Eye +2 built right in. That's an instant 15 skill points right there, so if you wanted to bump it up to Critical Eye +3, you just need to add 5 skill points.

Moving on though, say you achieved that 30% Affinity boost. Now your weapon has a 1 in 3.333_ chance of dealing 125%. This sounds pretty nifty, but let's make it broken.

Think about a weapon with 10% affinity. Add it to the Critical Eye +3 skill. Now we have a 40% chance of a critical hit, or a 1 in 2.5 chance of dealing a critical. How about a weapon with 15%? Now its a 1 in 2.222_ chance.

20% + Critical Eye +3 = 50% = 1 in 2 chance
25% + CE+3 = 55% = 1 in 1.8
30% + CE+3 = 60% = 1 in 1.666_
40% + CE+3 = 70% = 1 in 1.43
55% + CE+3 = 85% = 1 in 1.17

And so on and so on. All the percentages I used are from actual weapons. (I left out 5% on purpose)

Now just remember, all of this is to see what your chances are of scoring a hit of 125% more than your base attack. If you are using mega demondrug/demondrug, talismans, other jewels, etc, this counts as your base attack at that very moment, but I will only talk about the weapon's base attack. Or better yet, a weapon.

The Doris Fellspear will be my example. Say that when I was upgrading my lance, I had a choice of one that did:

391 base damage with 15% Affinity

OR

414 base damage with 0% Affinity

I wont get into the actual weapons mechanics, because you all know that certain attacks do more than others, so lets just pretend that a single attack did raw damage.

The 391 lance, in 7 attacks, will do 2737 total, unless the affinity may kick in (1 in 6.666_ chance, critical attack would be 489), then it may do 2835 total.

The 414 lance, in 7 attacks, will do 2,898 total, for sure, no room for chance.

Now the affinity boost could give you 7 criticals in a row, or none at all. When talking about 15%, it's a game of chance that you will lose often. Why not just go for what is concrete and choose the weapon with higher base attack? Well that's why I've been talking about this mess for so long lol. When you raise your chances in the game of luck, you can profit so much more. The trick is to turn the word "can" into "most likely". Your affinity would already increase more with the Critical Eye +3 (by 30%), so you'd be playing with a 1 in 2.222_ chance. Pretty good odds, for a weaker lance with a low Affinity.

Now put this in your pipe and smoke it:

Sabertooth lance - 55% Affinity
Amber Hoarforst slashaxe - 40% Affinity
Nardebosche SnS - 40% Affinity
High Siegmund greatsword - 30% Affinity
Barbarian "Sharq" longsword - 25% Affinity
Devil's Crush (G) hammer - 20% Affinity

Add the Critical Eye +3 armor skill to the weapon's current Affinity. Think about their base attack, the new critical hit ratio.

The weapons here will be striking criticals ALOT. They will quickly do more damage than their brothers that only give the hunter a little bit higher attack power. For a greatsword that does 960 base damage, a critical of 1200, and having a 60% chance of that happening, it really makes the hits count. Don't worry, only the monster will feel it, not your partners.

So for you out there putting on your attack jewels and getting the weapon only with the higher attack power, you don't understand the power of a high luck ratio. Affinity (most likely if raised high enough) trumps out base damage. Like I said, these were stats WITHOUT other talismans and drugs.

Sabertooth lance with Rathalos+ armor bumped up to Critical Eye+3 will strike criticals 85% of the time. Gotta love it.

I hope this was informative. There is more math to be done when you factor in ___ attack you do with ___ weapon on ___ body part of ___ monster, but maybe another day.

Sidenotes:

• I did not talk about bowguns for the sole reasons that they dont really have Affinity boost past 10%, and that I don't have much knowledge on them with different kinds of shot.
  • Affinity is also affected by sharpness, so that is one more reason it's important to have a keen blade.
  • Ah, anywhere you see Critical Draw instead of Eye, it's a typo, get over it, im sorry lol.
  • I only used a few weapons with high affinity for dramatic effect, although what I said was true. Most weapons have lower affinity rates, but that's not up to me what you favor, and I'm not saying to only use 1 weapon and one armor. Everything has it's uses (except insect husks...)
  • Affinity, as far as I know, does NOT affect your elemental effect chance.
  • I haven't even forged the Sabertooth lance or Rathalos+ armor. Idk why this idea popped in my head, but I think it was significant enough to share. If you didnt like reading all of it, then I'm sorry. Not really.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I overlooked was the Hermit jewel, which takes up 3 armor slots, and bumps up the Critical Eye skills by 5. Coincidence that the Rathalos+ helmet has 3 slots?

as for putting it in the original post, it wasn't really a guide lol, but if you are going to, please fix any typos you see. I don't like editing post, pet peeve I guess.

Rikana

Smash Champion
That was very informative, Wolfang. Thanks for that. I was thinking about it before as well because I always love playing with weapons that have something that happens by chance. Critical hits is one of them. Its much more interesting to play with status effects as well than just pure brute strength.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So Alatreon is being a pain in the ***. Anyone else here at lvl 50 or higher and want to help?

Rikana

Smash Champion
lol I'm still stuck on HR 25. I haven't touched MH3 for a while now.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
I dont really die against Alatreon, but i cant do much damage either when it's flying around like that lol. Ill look you up at some point.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Sorry, Lobos. I messaged you and you were questing.
Beat him though :)
Thanks, Wolfang. We should go sometime--partly why i made this thread :p

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
:X I looked right at that and I swear I didn't see your name lmao, my bad.

Btw, dragonbone relics. Is there anyways I can speed up the process of getting those things besides eat food and hope for the Explorer skill? It's killing me...

Found enough of them. New pain in the *** are gems.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
How am I supposed to get the longsword? I'm almost done with the 4 star missions and the longsword option has been available in the smithy for a long time, but whenever I try to forge one, only the words "Equiptment not available" or something like that appears.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
The Ananta Boneblade takes 3 Gobul Spikes, 10 Baggi Hides, and 10 Machalite Ores, I'm fairly certain some weapons don't show up unless you have the main items it needs, which I'm guessing would be the Gobul spikes or the machalite. Do you have those items in your inventory already?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
The Ananta Boneblade takes 3 Gobul Spikes, 10 Baggi Hides, and 10 Machalite Ores, I'm fairly certain some weapons don't show up unless you have the main items it needs, which I'm guessing would be the Gobul spikes or the machalite. Do you have those items in your inventory already?
I doubt that's the problem, because it's offering me to upgrade my switchaxe with monster parts I've never even heard of. And even then, I definately have Gobul Spikes and Machalite.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Beat the Gobul in online and off just to be sure. Idk, I think the Ananta comes first just because you fight the Gobul before the Rathalos and Jhen.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Hm, so, I know folks have kinda explored this game's depths by now, but just a little something to make things easier. Give some stuff to a friend, quit without saving.

D-Duplicate.

I did it with honey, but it's kinda a long process getting 10 honey and putting it in the box, repeating...but whichever way, it's alot faster than farming/trading the stuff. The whole turn-back-time thing is most useful if you trade an item you need that doesn't restrict you to 10 at a time. Less time farming or grinding, fine by me. Have fun.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I felt like having a monster unlocked after defeating Alatreon was kinda anti-climactic. I haven't actually played since I've beaten Ala. Jho's music is cool though :)

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
I've defeated him about 8 times total now. Most of the times, if he shows up in another mission, I'd rather not mess with him lol. A bit too strong.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I am doing sea power quest. If anyone high rank would like to join me feel free. Good way to get rubias and a good thunder blade.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
What kind of game is this like, if you could compare it to something? Interested in getting this.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I refer to the Monster Hunter series as a tactical hack-and-slash. I have a little schpiel about it in the OP for those new to the game.

Due to zones and major online content (which is free), I've heard it having been compared to Phantasy Star before (though I've never played that)
However I would suggest watching youtube vids for it before being put off, should that comparison repel you.

But hey, it's the best selling third-party game for the Wii - should mean something.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I refer to the Monster Hunter series as a tactical hack-and-slash. I have a little schpiel about it in the OP for those new to the game.

Due to zones and major online content (which is free), I've heard it having been compared to Phantasy Star before (though I've never played that)
However I would suggest watching youtube vids for it before being put off, should that comparison repel you.

But hey, it's the best selling third-party game for the Wii - should mean something.
Ah, let me ask you this:

Do you get weapons that make you stronger, do you level up, or do weapons level up, etc.

It's hack and slash, but is there some rpg element to getting stronger? I'm pretty interested in this to be honest...

Top Bottom