• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I am on now if people want to join me

Name: Hatter
ID: QC73N2
server rookie
gate 10
cite 30

Darkslash

Smash Master
Once School is over, I can get Tri. Now, I need some help choosing over the GS and the Long Sword.

What are the cons and pro's of both. I don't like Hammers or lances, and SnS is going to be my primary. So any help is appreciated.

Lobos

Smash Master
I use both the long sword and GS.

Long sword is good for damage output
GS is great for great amounts of damage in single blows and cutting off tails.
You can move faster with the LS compared to the GS

Just use both and get as different weapons as you can. Don't stick to just one weapon

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
They both can cut off tails.

GS has a blocking function, LS doesn't.

GS already has a high attack power, but if you're confident you can land a lot of consecutive hits with the LS and fill up the "spirit gauge", you'll have high power and faster attacks (than the GS).

They basically do the same thing, but LS has higher risk for higher reward.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So I'd like some suggestions from you all as to how to better develop the OP now that there's been a lot of time for people to get their hands on the game.

I was thinking:

1. Perhaps some analyses (short guides or something) about each weapon. I'm really only familiar enough with two (hammer and bowgun) so if any of you believe you have enough general knowledge about your weapons to make a few paragraphs, say, of do's and don't's, you can send them to me to be put up for consideration and insertion into the OP where the weapon's picture is.

2. Put up little guides/summaries of different monsters and how to beat them properly (perhaps even a little summary with each weapon). The problem is that I don't want to waste my time making analyses for monsters that are way easy (Great Jaggi), and yet I can only speak for myself and cannot determine what monsters are hard enough to constitute discussion. So maybe If there are largely requested topics, I will go with that.

I would also love any other suggestions from you guys so the thread doesn't essentially die.

Jane

Smash Hero
i say we start off with weapons discussions, and get those out of the way before we branch out.

i could contribute to the SnS and bowgun discussions

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Great sword: A good early game weapon, It blocks and does tons of damage, it can make some of the early boss battles easy. It's still good late game but by then some of the monsters are faster and dodge more.

Great Jaggi: Just attack and block attack and block, easiest Big monster in the game, latter you can kill these things without much thought.

Qurupeco: Use Great Jaggi armor, it make it so you don't get blown back by him taking off, ALWAYS attack when he is doing his monster call and dance, they will interrupt his abilities and big you a moment to strike or heal. This Monster is easy 1 on 1, but he's an amazing support Monster.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Great sword has the advantage in raw damage and its ability to block. Movement with the sword is rather slow though. Not a big deal though you just have to learn to sheathe and unsheathe.

The long sword is pretty much the superior weapon due to its higher dps especially when it gets the spirit meter filled. You can't guard. It's main disadvantage though is that online it can be a terrible team interrupter. Great Sword has this problem to at times but it is much more manageable.

Lobos, I saw you on and tried to message you but you were always in a quest.

Guides to the bosses would be nice. At the very least so we know what we are getting into beforehand. It just seems though that the majority of users that makeup this thread will have beaten the game by then though.

I personally would like to see us try to organize times to play online. Maybe make a few teams that meet at certain times.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Great sword: A good early game weapon, It blocks and does tons of damage, it can make some of the early boss battles easy. It's still good late game but by then some of the monsters are faster and dodge more.
I was thinking like... 5 times bigger lol

EDIT: I suppose if I propose certain things I should give an example first, I apologize. I'll work on a bowgun one soon. Jane, as you said, if you want to compile to help with that, it would be greatly appreciated.

As a disclaimer, I'm 100% certain the bowgun one (due to having several parts and many kinds of ammo) will be much longer than any other. Second ill probably be the switch-axe.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Well the point of it was to draw in more players. I'll do a big revamping when I believe there aren't many more people to entice.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Played with Lobos for a bit, but he's the only one of you guys thaat ive found online so far.

Mmm, okay, Lance.

It's a very straightforward weapon, no pun intended.It isnt very mobile. Alot of your combat strategy will consist of knowing when to end your jab combo strings and dodge, only to begin again. Lances, next to other weapons, are not very strong, but they do have a unique ability that balances that out. No, I dont mean the speed at which you can attack, but that a lance's damage type is automatically set depending on where you attack a monster. If the tail is more weak to cutting damage, the lance will do cutting damage. If the head is weaker to impact damage, it will follow accordingly. That being said, just because it determines the best type of damage for you doesnt mean you dont need to be precise; it's literally a pointy stick, so pin-point where you want to hit.

Attack

You can strike horizontally and diagonally. The accuracy factor is a plus, since most higher-grade lances have high affinity (critical hits), and it makes it easier to not hit your teammates. It's also a minus since you may find yourself jabbing air/water sometimes, but that's just a matter of practice.

You also have a few other attacks, like the draw attack, the sweep, charge attack, the charge attack finisher, shield bash, shield poke, and the counter.
Draw attack is simple enough to understand. You whip out your weapon as you were running, and do a powerful stab in that direction. Any move with momentum behind it has a greater chance to topple a monster, so keep that in mind.

The sweep is a decent move to clear the area when there is too much going on (ex. Minions, annoying teammates). It's certainly not very strong, but it's obviously meant for multiple enemies. It's slow, but it hits just about everywhere but right behind you, so it definitely has its uses.

I love the charge attack, even though it's the weakest attack with a lance. The reason I use it so much is because it propels you faster that if you were running/swimming, it can be used to evade attack, it does consecutive hit damage when sharpness is green, takes 1 second to fully charge, and has a very powerful finish. More or less, a downed monster just eats up all the hits of a charge attack, or those that lie low to the ground like the Gobul, Lagiacrus, Barioth, and Angaktor. Grinding into tails and undersides makes the battle that much easier, and the multiple hits gives you more of a chance for your weapons' element to kick in. Dont be overzealous though, bc monsters have a better charge attack, and your teammates wont enjoy being bowled over.

When doing the charge attack, it takes about a second, then you flash red. Right after that, your finishing move, your strongest move, is at it's peak. Just press the attack button anytime during the charge to do the charge finisher. Nothing more to say about it except you need to be precise or you wasted the stamina and time.

Shield poke. It's very situational, and a little pointless in my opinion (puns). If you press the attack button while you arent moving with your shield up, you perform a little jab. Imagine the charge attack, but just one hit. You cannot evade after the move, you cannot start a combo string, you have to wait for your guard to come back up to use another move, it only hits one direction...you get the point. If you are going to drop your shield to jab, then do it properly.

Shield bash is not as pointless, but also situational. it's good for stunning small monsters, since it's always impact damage. It's mediocre strength, but good news is you can evade out of it, and it resets combo strings as well. The move shifts you forward quite a bit as well, so it's so of an offensive/evasive move.

The last kind of attack is the Counter. It can be charged up, but it's not easy to hit with. It brings the shield in front of you for either a short or long period of time, then thrust upward after it finishes charging, or if you get hit during that time. It's a great move, since it can block several hits during 1 attack, and it's as strong as the draw attack, but as I said, it's challenging to implement in the heat of battle. This is easier to do on the classic controller, even while in combo strings, so take advantage of it. It does take up stamina to Counter though, so be wary when you take the risk.

Defense

You couldn't have missed the giant shield. Lance is the best defense weapon in the game, but it's not good to rely on that strength. Your guard can be broken if you take too many big or small hits, especially with (advanced) rank monsters. It is crucial to always have a full or next to full stamina bar if you want to defend some heavy blows. Also know that all attacks cannot be guarded fully, or even guarded at all. Heavy hitters like Rathian, Gobul, and Uragaan can damage you slightly through your guard. Angaktor, you should never shield against the magma stream unless you'd like your armor to ignite, or if you have the Guard Up skill. It takes care of most physical attacks, but everytime you absorb a blow, it takes a considerable amount of stamina, even if it's a small bite. Shielding can also guard against roars, bright flashes, wind, tremors, and water currents, but as I said, dont depend on it always. Keep in mind that while you can quickly draw your weapon for an attack, you can also quickly get into defensive stance as well. Depending on your controls, it would be the dash + charge attack button to do this. It will save you plenty times if you do it right.

Evasion

It's as important as defense, albeit harder to perform. After any attack but the shield poke, you can backstep or side step dodge. You cant roll with a lance drawn, so get over it. To backstep in any direction you want, you want to pretend you are walking in the opposite direction, then backstep quickly. It's alot faster that walking or shuffling, and you get invincibility frames while you do it. Another way to "evade" rushing with your shield. Technically, if you get attacked while doing it, the monster will still hit your shield, but at least you didnt end up in the sweetspot area while you defended. Do not do this against a monster that does radial damage, like Uragaan. Your back will be exposed, and you are still a soft and fleshy human.

Useful things for Lancers:

Mega Dash Juice - It's a godsend to not have to worry about when your charge attack will run out, how much stamina will deplete if you shield ___ attack, or how many times you can backhop to get out of the way. It's worth it, especially in the +31 rank monsters, since their attacks can remove an entire full stamina bar.

Armor Skill: Guard Up - It's sort of a nice feeling to know that now you can guard any attack in the game, but it can be deceiving, especially with radial attacks and water currents.

Armor Skill: Guard +1/+2 - Decreases knockback and stamina loss when blocking.

Armor Skill: Evasion Up - Increases evasion distance, so those backhops are a bit more useful.

Armor Skill: Evasion +1/+2 - Extends the invulnerability period of a dodge.

Armor Skill: Constitution +1/+2 - Slows down stamina depletion when evading and blocking.

Armor Skill: Auto-Guard - Guards automatically, when possible. it's good since it gets everything you didn't see, and you can walk instead of shuffle, since the game will react for you.

When using the charge attack, try to run along the side of a monster's body or by the tail so you won't be punished.

Try to stab diagonally upwards more than horizontally to improve your accuracy.

I think I covered most of it. Sorry if I said too much or whatever.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Great summary, just two things I feel like you should also mention:
1) You'll notice that after three consecutive hits with either horizontal or diagonal hit your character stops and there's lag time. You can evade in any direction to cut down on this lag time, or you can use your counter attack instantly after the 3rd strike in your combo. This is especially useful if you're attacking a downed monster or if a monster's doing a really laggy attack (like if it's swinging it's tail, then swinging it again to complete a full circle), so you can just press X/a, X/a, X/a, shield+a, x/a, x/a, shield+a, etc. timing it of course.

2) You lose a lot less stamina and take a lot less chip damage (the small damage you take when you block really powerful hits) if you guard advance (shield + forward + X) through an attack. Also this has the advantage of putting you closer to the monster and usually past the immediate danger zone of its attacks.

Let me know if there's anything unclear about those. But yeah, other than that it seems like it covered all the main points.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to wonder. After reading what many of you have said, am I the only one that finds the wiimote and nunchaku less awkward than the classic controller? I never lose an arm wrestling match with the wiimote, I can attest that much lol, but I never really have issues using it.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Bowgun analysis is up. Told you it would be kinda lengthy :p

also, post #TWO TWO TWO

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Has anyone actually played with someone else from smashboards? Lobos seems to always be on quest so I can't message him. I haven't seen any of you other guys on at all.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone actually played with someone else from smashboards? Lobos seems to always be on quest so I can't message him. I haven't seen any of you other guys on at all.
Played with Lobos for a bit, but he's the only one of you guys thaat I've found online so far.
Also played with a few others on smashboards that arent in this group, so yea.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I clicked on it and before it came up I was like, "Ah ****, this has to be a rick ro-... oh nvm"

but wow, that was crazy good

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
This is why I say the Paralysis is the best element in the game. Not going to lie though, Counter is why the Classic Controller is superior in the long run. It's difficult for me to point the wiimote up right when I need to sometimes.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Yeah. I never played MH before MH3 and I decided to be a paralysis lancer from the start without any knowledge of the game. I'm glad I chose this route. I use wii remote too. It feels weird comboing into counter with wii remote compared to classic controller's buttons.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Hey guys my name is Arturo online and my id is 85C886 I'm usually on aim while i'm playing if you guys want to aim me instead of sending a message feel free.

I'm only HR 13 though :( waited till school was done to get this

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
<3 NM

So does anyone think they're knowledgable enough about some other weapons to make a hardy guide? We have two so far, and it doesn't have to be just one person per weapon.

Jane

Smash Hero
technically hes not nm, hes tx :p

i dont feel im knowledgeable enough to write a guide on SnS, and you already did an awesome bow gun one so ill just add on what i think when someone desides to do SnS

eskimo2112

Smash Rookie
Blast beats, ftw

Yo, the names Joe. I go by coY on MH3 or any other MH really.

My ID's JPWYFX. Im on the majority of the time, so just send a message. Im HR33, so experience suggests I wont **** you up mid-quest XD

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
So my Wii kinda died. The red light's on but the power doesn't work. I put in my roommate's AC adapter and now it turns on, I can eject, but it doesn't go to the screen whee I press A to sync the wiimotes, it's just a blank screen. It's not an issue with the cables (except my old AC adapter)

Any idea on what to do? And if the Wii's totally gone already, is there anyway to salvage my MH3 save info or would I just have to restart totally when I scrounge up the cash for another wii?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
dang that sucks idk what to tell you.

can someone tell me how to use a keyboard on monster hunter? It works when i try making a message on the wii menu but i haven't typed anything on the game yet :dizzy:

I got to HR 18 yesterday and will be on most of today if anyone wants to play just message me. I'm trying to do some laggia runs for the armor and the lagia blade. I cut off its tail 4 times yesterday and only got 1 tail drop :(

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I totally neglected to check for a MHTri topic on here.

HR9, Full Lagi, hangin' out.
-DD

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
dang that sucks idk what to tell you.

can someone tell me how to use a keyboard on monster hunter? It works when i try making a message on the wii menu but i haven't typed anything on the game yet :dizzy:

I got to HR 18 yesterday and will be on most of today if anyone wants to play just message me. I'm trying to do some laggia runs for the armor and the lagia blade. I cut off its tail 4 times yesterday and only got 1 tail drop :(
You literally just start typing while in game. Works fine unless you're in a menu or something. Just do what you'd normally do, just sub in keys instead of that horrible qwerty-less onscreen keyboard.

Top Bottom