• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I like high DPS weapons, so I play heavy bowgun and Switch Axe. I just like to attack in general, so support weapons like Hammer, Hunting Horn, Light Bowgun and SnS really aren't my thing.
DPS
Switch-Axe

Did 3U change Switch-Axes, because I mainly used them in Tri and their DPS was not good at all, compared to their inflated visible raw values.

HBG is lots of fun, though.

I mainly use Bow & Arrow. Why? I think it looks awesome. It feels amazing to me. Bow & Arrow has a very skill-oriented DPS - player skill and armor skills. Part of it is getting the best equipment, just like the blademaster weapons, but the other part is all about knowing your target, knowing your weapon, and knowing not only your timing but your spacing from your target as well. Nailing arc shots without aiming is a great feeling, for one thing. Getting that maximum damage spark is a great feeling.

I've always said that Bow & Arrow feels more like a blademaster weapon without the blades, or at least a gunner-blademaster hybrid. I ended up doing a lot of research into the Bow back when I played MH3U every day. I was pretty active on the official Capcom forums, back then. Maybe some of my better technical posts are still there, who knows.

MH4U excites me for three reasons: one, the new hunting grounds; two, the new monsters and equipment; three, the new weapon attacks. The "Strong Shot" or "Hard Shot" for the Bow, and the new screen-shake that happens when you hit optimal damage with your arrows, is really exciting. The Hard Shot Bows are probably among the best of their element (MH4 had one for each element) for DPS. They don't have an Arc Shot. That's what's replaced for the Hard Shot. In the videos, that's where the Bow user squats down, yells, and fires off a powerful-looking shot. It can be combo'd off of a normal arrow, so you nearly double DPS, since the Hard Shot basically copies your level 3 charge shot - whatever it is. I don't know if MH4U improved on this even further or not, but it really looks cool to me, how bowhunters don't feel inferior to their teammates as much, now.

I used Switch-Axe in Tri, but not anymore, really. I also use Greatsword and Hammer in 3U. So, together with Bow, I guess you could say I enjoy the slower weapons.

I want to try the Charge Blade in 4U. It looks like what the Switch-Axe SHOULD have been from the very start, to me. I always resented that Axe Mode for the Switch-AXE was generally the inferior mode of attacking, unless you needed extreme vertical reach. I love me some vertical axe strikes, though. Perfect for high tails and wings!

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yeah they changed a lot about MH3U especially regarding damages. Switch Axe has the second highest DPS among Melee weapons now, as opposed to being basically SNS in Tri.

Other major changes:

Lance and Great Sword suck now even though GS got a minor buff in the form of element charging. SA replaced GS as best tail cutter in the game. Lance got nerfed heavily with the removal of being able to attack after counter. It reduced its DPS massively.

HBG is probably top 4 DPS class along with DB, SA and LS (Which is still very good if you can manage Red Spirit properly).

Gunlance is a better lance except shelling is useless.

I have tonnes of info, if anyone has questions about 3U

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yeah they changed a lot about MH3U especially regarding damages. Switch Axe has the second highest DPS among Melee weapons now, as opposed to being basically SNS in Tri.

Other major changes:

Lance and Great Sword suck now even though GS got a minor buff in the form of element charging. SA replaced GS as best tail cutter in the game. Lance got nerfed heavily with the removal of being able to attack after counter. It reduced its DPS massively.

HBG is probably top 4 DPS class along with DB, SA and LS (Which is still very good if you can manage Red Spirit properly).

Gunlance is a better lance except shelling is useless.

I have tonnes of info, if anyone has questions about 3U
Thanks for this, I enjoyed reading that.

That's all MH3U-related info, correct? I don't want to be confused, since I was switching topics between that game and MH4U quite a bit.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
all MH3U info

I have nfi about MH4U lol.
I know no one knows about 4U, but plain ol' MH4 has been out for at least a year, so I wanted to make sure you weren't talking about 4.

I never played 4, but I was into translating Japanese wiki pages on the topic about a year ago; didn't know if you did something similar.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Even though GS got "nerfed" it is still one of the best weapons for calculated speed runs. Comparing the GS and SA isn't really a valid argument when it comes to tail cutting.

A GS can cut off a tail in just 3-5 uncharged hits while the SA is better for say.. Diablos? Deviljho? If you intend to cut their tails of course.

I can confirm that LS is NOT top tier material. It is mid at best. It was just nerfed so much from Tri that it's a shadow of its former self. I main the weapon mainly for the play style.

HBG is actually the BEST weapon in the game damage wise. It takes out Gold Beard Ceadeus solo in 4-5 minutes. With a party it'll go down in sub 1 minute. This goes the same for Dire Miralis and Jhen barring the 2nd phase. The only downfall of HBG is how fast it depletes ammo. If you start going willy nilly and start missing things then you'll probably fail the quest, but that's never a problem.

At the same time, there are specific strats for specific monsters using specific sets and weapons that work best. You can't really call a weapon the best simply because of its damage output in perfect situations. The monster moves and is sometimes unpredictable. At times when a GS exploits the pauses that Nargacuga makes, it won't really be effective against, say G Rank Great Baggi?

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
GS is still an incredibly strong weapon and I disagree with LS being nerfed that much. Yes, you're forced to play aggressively to maintain red/yellow level of the spirit combo, but it's really doable. If you're disappointed with LS in 3U, you're going to be even sadder when 4U comes out. It is a much weaker weapon in 4 atm and performing a spirit combo at red level will not reset it's timer, but it goes back to normal. This somewhat changes how you play LS because you will be pressured into attacking during red to maintain competitive dps.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I was wanting to get into this series but I have been really apprehensive about doing so because I hear it mostly based on grinding which doesn't seem all that appealing

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I was wanting to get into this series but I have been really apprehensive about doing so because I hear it mostly based on grinding which doesn't seem all that appealing

The 'experience' you are 'grinding' in this game is getting more experienced fighting the monsters themselves.

This game will beat the @#$% out of you. It has no mercy. It will make you want to break every object in your immediate vicinity.

But you will come back stronger. You will learn the monsters 'tells'. You will make better gear from other monsters you have slaughtered. And you will improve.

That is the experience you are grinding. You are improving yourself and your skills rather than your character in a game.

finalark

SNORLAX
The 'experience' you are 'grinding' in this game is getting more experienced fighting the monsters themselves.

This game will beat the @#$% out of you. It has no mercy. It will make you want to break every object in your immediate vicinity.

But you will come back stronger. You will learn the monsters 'tells'. You will make better gear from other monsters you have slaughtered. And you will improve.

That is the experience you are grinding. You are improving yourself and your skills rather than your character in a game.
Monster Hunter is a game where your character does not level up -- you do.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well, to be fair, forging and upgrading your equipment is pretty much the driving force of the entire game.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464

Now you see the way you say it makes the game sound appealing.

Now another question should I get it on Wii U or the 3DS?

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I would say 3ds because 4U will be exclusively on it so you might as well start getting used to the controls (Get a circle pad pro). If you don't mind switching consoles, then Wii U has it's perks (Online multiplayer, better graphics vs. portability).

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
4U looks amazing. Hard to believe they packed so much content onto a 3DS game. Looks like you could easily spend 500 hours on it.

The Zelda event items are confirmed for English-language versions :3 They even gave Charge Blade a new reloading attack. This is gonna be a must-buy.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The new Zinogre Heavy Bowgun looks amazing. I was never a fan of the old "motorcycle" design.

Lemme see if I can find a picture...

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I love Monster Hunter, but I've only played 3 Ultimate and my parents took away my 3DS a while ago.

I bought the game only because I thought it was decent and it was on sale: I hated the demo with a passion. Everything seemed so boring and slow, but the real game was so fun with it's gathering materials, equipment customization, and whatnot.
That is funny since the demo was what really convinced me to get the game. I was able to beat the Lagombi with the Switch axe but was unable to beat the Plesioth with it, but brought it down with the Dual Blades. I really loved what I tried and got the game, since I it was one game I felt like mastering. I thought that I would main either the Dual Blades or the Switch Axe but funnily enough, my main is long sword.

Since I play solo on the 3DS, I have played everything except some of the [advanced] G rank quests. I love using my Long Sword due to its range and mobility. Plus it has a high area of attack, it clears out small monsters which occasionally bother me during the quest. Ironically, the long sword's very same property makes it tough in multiplayer. Plus love that spirit attack.

For other weapons, I have tried everything else but so far, I am good with the switch axe (my 2nd), the dual blades (3rd), and the great sword. I have tried the HBG, LBG and bow but still can't use 'em decently enough to have speed runs. I really don't like the lance and gunlance but maybe that might change in the future. I am on the fence regarding the hammer and hunting horn. Can do fine with Sword and shield but I would go with the Dual blades anytime.

Have played around 450 hours and at around 63 HR. I guess I spent too much time at High rank, farming monsters and making various armours. Still have to get that Abyssal Lagiacrus down but love my other armour sets, just a few more to go for full G rank blademaster armour collection!

I absolutely love the Monster Hunter series and can't wait to get my hands on Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, this time with online on 3DS! Tried the Monster Hunter Freedom game on PSP and although it feels a bit clunky after 3 Ultimate, especially the farming (so much work :( ) the game still seems amazing. Just got distracted by Golden Sun, one of the only games able to draw me away from MH3U. I kinda get bored of other games now that I have absolutely spent tons on MH3U. It spoiled me!

Getting a Wii U this year end so will buy MH3U again to experience it on the big screen with online play :D

Oh and sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Can't wait for MH4U. I want to try the new weapons, but I will probably stick with Hunting Horn/Hammer/Switch Axe.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Can't wait for MH4U. I want to try the new weapons, but I will probably stick with Hunting Horn/Hammer/Switch Axe.
My hunting goal is to become proficient with all weapons (i.e. really good) and master the long sword.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I got 3U in March hoping that it would last me until 4U's release, but I'm almost finished with G rank :(. Guess I'll have to resub to WoW or pick up league again to help with the boredom.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I got 3U in March hoping that it would last me until 4U's release, but I'm almost finished with G rank :(. Guess I'll have to resub to WoW or pick up league again to help with the boredom.
Bruh follow the path to diamond

Path to Diamond
P-P-P-Path... to... Diiiieeeemund...

*Epic Anime Music blasts AKA Date A Live OP*

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Bruh follow the path to diamond

Path to Diamond
P-P-P-Path... to... Diiiieeeemund...

*Epic Anime Music blasts AKA Date A Live OP*
And I totally did not understand this post.

I still have to finish the advanced quests in G-rank as well as the Abyssal Lagiacrus. Rest I am done with. I am thinking of buying MH3U for Wii U as well so that I could transfer my save file and get a taste of online play before I get stuck to MH4U :)

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Bruh last I checked I'm on like

Gathering materials for the final boss of storyline

I would go farther but like 4 realz I need people to play it with Solo gets really boring compared to League

Plus I gotta prep for VGC 2015 so if I ever get my 3DS back it's probably back to Pokemanz for the next 2 months

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hmm solo is fun but tedious compared to multiplayer. Since quests can go upto 20-40 minutes long, less if you are really good or you are overpowered but the latter only happens after the grinding of monsters to get epic weapons.

The game heats up after final boss, you get to fight a lot more stuff plus subspecies. Everyone has their own tastes though. I just loved playing solo, really amped up my game.

Good luck for your VGC prep. By the way, what do you mean by get your 3DS back?

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
So on another topic

Anyone have first hand experience with MH4 Charge Blade

Seems like something I'd get into, Sword and Shield plus Axe.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Nope, how would we have experienced if it hasn't come out on Western 3DSes.

Unless someone has a japanese 3DS with a japanese copy of MH4. And I am not one of those people sadly. I personally want to try these new weapons out as well, they sound like they would fit my boat.

I love the switch axe, long sword and dual blades and although proficient with SnS, I don't use em. I just think I might miss water combat a bit but will enjoy the new things. The gameplay is faster I guess than MH3U so that would take getting used to. Plus I somebody mentioned that they nerfed the longsword!!!!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Nope, how would we have experienced if it hasn't come out on Western 3DSes.

Unless someone has a japanese 3DS with a japanese copy of MH4. And I am not one of those people sadly. I personally want to try these new weapons out as well, they sound like they would fit my boat.

I love the switch axe, long sword and dual blades and although proficient with SnS, I don't use em. I just think I might miss water combat a bit but will enjoy the new things. The gameplay is faster I guess than MH3U so that would take getting used to. Plus I somebody mentioned that they nerfed the longsword!!!!
The strikes on the sword do the same damage, and they let you Spirit Combo out of Fade Slash. All they did is that, after red bar runs out, you go back to normal instead of orange or yellow or whatever. You can also upward slice out of roll.

All in all, they made Longsword better but made you work harder. I think it sounds pretty cool. Longsword always was a bit too simplistic.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The strikes on the sword do the same damage, and they let you Spirit Combo out of Fade Slash. All they did is that, after red bar runs out, you go back to normal instead of orange or yellow or whatever. You can also upward slice out of roll.

All in all, they made Longsword better but made you work harder. I think it sounds pretty cool. Longsword always was a bit too simplistic.
Oh oh that sounds exciting! I thought I had seen a post that it was nerfed but it doesn't seem so. Although will have to be careful not to run out of that red bar! And the upward slice out of the roll seems awesome!

Technically a lot of the weapons in Monster Hunter are simplistic, it is just the timing of the weapon. Although the longsword does not possess the raw power of the great sword, I just love its finesse!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
MH4U adds a whole bunch of attack combos; nearly every weapon got something.

Dual Blades got a new unsheath/A+B attack, and Archdemon mode got buffed

GS has a new mega slam attack that combos off of the Side Smash, and you can do a Slap out of roll.

SnS has a new backhop, and a chargeable jump slash.

Lance can jump from a dash, and its jumping strike is very strong (and knocks monsters down).

Gunlance starts quests loaded instead of empty.

HH has a new attack that replaces the poke that can play two notes at once, and has a new possible combo.

Switch Axe has all kinds of changes... Sword mode has a new double downward slice attack (left and right in quick succession), you can combo that into Full Burst, and Axe mode has a new finisher to Hack n' Slash that is the new strongest move. Unbelievably they made the Hack n' Slash the best DPS.

Hammer can help with friendly fire: launch a fellow hunter to give them an opportunity to launch a powerful jump strike.

LBG seems to be the same, except they gave it back a melee attack, like Tri. I guess it has utility use, but it's a worthless attack for killing monsters except for joke runs.

HBG had the clip sizes for siege mode reduced. Removing the limiter allows you to pre-load Wyvern Fire; supposedly you can combo into WF off of a bullet shot.

Bow is easier to tell when you are at optimal damage/range. Some new bows were introduced with Hard Shots, which replaces the Arc Shot. Hard Shot bows burn through the stamina bar but nearly double your DPS.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
MH4U adds a whole bunch of attack combos; nearly every weapon got something.

Dual Blades got a new unsheath/A+B attack, and Archdemon mode got buffed

GS has a new mega slam attack that combos off of the Side Smash, and you can do a Slap out of roll.

SnS has a new backhop, and a chargeable jump slash.

Lance can jump from a dash, and its jumping strike is very strong (and knocks monsters down).

Gunlance starts quests loaded instead of empty.

HH has a new attack that replaces the poke that can play two notes at once, and has a new possible combo.

Switch Axe has all kinds of changes... Sword mode has a new double downward slice attack (left and right in quick succession), you can combo that into Full Burst, and Axe mode has a new finisher to Hack n' Slash that is the new strongest move. Unbelievably they made the Hack n' Slash the best DPS.

Hammer can help with friendly fire: launch a fellow hunter to give them an opportunity to launch a powerful jump strike.

LBG seems to be the same, except they gave it back a melee attack, like Tri. I guess it has utility use, but it's a worthless attack for killing monsters except for joke runs.

HBG had the clip sizes for siege mode reduced. Removing the limiter allows you to pre-load Wyvern Fire; supposedly you can combo into WF off of a bullet shot.

Bow is easier to tell when you are at optimal damage/range. Some new bows were introduced with Hard Shots, which replaces the Arc Shot. Hard Shot bows burn through the stamina bar but nearly double your DPS.
Wow that sounds awesome!!! Wait, it seems like every weapon got a buff!

Well good news for me since I try to use all weapons. Hunting horn is the only weapon of which I have NO clue of how to use. Can't wait to try that Archdemon mode now, holy its been even stronger!!!

Plus Switch axes are cool and its nice to see that the Axe part of it has a larger use than in MH3U.

How is the difficulty of the game, harder? Faster?

It seems they have made the combat more dynamic since many weapons have extra jump attacks or roll attacks! Dang, that is going to make it even harder for me to finish MHF and MHFU! Too many new things to go back to old combat easily!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
You posted it before but apparently I missed it! So we have a new size comparison video huh?

Awesome! Loved the original one from MH3! This one is more showy though :) And includes everything!

Poor Cha-cha and Kayamba! But the epicness, oh my! Plus gotta love that huge Monster as big as an island that we will face in MH4U!

Thanks for sharing this! Loved it!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Wow that sounds awesome!!! Wait, it seems like every weapon got a buff!

Well good news for me since I try to use all weapons. Hunting horn is the only weapon of which I have NO clue of how to use. Can't wait to try that Archdemon mode now, holy its been even stronger!!!

Plus Switch axes are cool and its nice to see that the Axe part of it has a larger use than in MH3U.

How is the difficulty of the game, harder? Faster?

It seems they have made the combat more dynamic since many weapons have extra jump attacks or roll attacks! Dang, that is going to make it even harder for me to finish MHF and MHFU! Too many new things to go back to old combat easily!
G rank monsters are always fast and difficult. I haven't played any PSP games, or even MH4, so I'm not sure I have a correct frame of reference for how difficult MH4U will be. It looks like a load of fun, though!

They added Cephalos, Diablos and Monoblos, and the crabs back in, populated a new desert hunting ground, added two new weapons from 3rd gen (Charge Blade and Insect Glaive), two new minigames, ancient equipment, streetpass hunting grounds with high level gear, on and on.

I'm kind of shocked at how much content they packed into this game, honestly! I felt like 3U had better graphics on 3DS than 4, but it looks like 4U touched things up a bit.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
G rank monsters are always fast and difficult. I haven't played any PSP games, or even MH4, so I'm not sure I have a correct frame of reference for how difficult MH4U will be. It looks like a load of fun, though!

They added Cephalos, Diablos and Monoblos, and the crabs back in, populated a new desert hunting ground, added two new weapons from 3rd gen (Charge Blade and Insect Glaive), two new minigames, ancient equipment, streetpass hunting grounds with high level gear, on and on.

I'm kind of shocked at how much content they packed into this game, honestly! I felt like 3U had better graphics on 3DS than 4, but it looks like 4U touched things up a bit.
Well yea G rank monsters are pretty fast but was asking abut normal monsters and how the gameplay compares to 3U.

I started Monster Hunter Freedom, the absolute first game of the series released on PSP and I really liked it although the farm and fishing is very tedious, not convenient as in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Plus after experiencing the 3rd game, the mechanics seemed very different due to lack of half of the weapons plus limited moveset. The camera was somewhat annoying and the food system was not as clear. Although it was the first game of the series, the roots of the series, it is not bad and still a fairly good game, just annoying if you go back from the 3rd gen.

I tried the 2nd gen as well but left it till I finish 1st gen and it is more satisfying as more mechanics match with 3U. Plus it is the largest game till now (not counting MH4 or MH4U) with the largest number of monsters and everything.

So many of the 3rd gen monsters are not in the 4th game? I heard the Gigginox was removed in favour of the original Khezu, and the game does not have the Royal Ludroth and Lagiacrus (since water area is gone), no chance for Caedeus whatsoever. And Alatreon. Or any of the Jaggi, Baggi or Wroggi and not the Quropeco either?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well yea G rank monsters are pretty fast but was asking abut normal monsters and how the gameplay compares to 3U.

I started Monster Hunter Freedom, the absolute first game of the series released on PSP and I really liked it although the farm and fishing is very tedious, not convenient as in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Plus after experiencing the 3rd game, the mechanics seemed very different due to lack of half of the weapons plus limited moveset. The camera was somewhat annoying and the food system was not as clear. Although it was the first game of the series, the roots of the series, it is not bad and still a fairly good game, just annoying if you go back from the 3rd gen.

I tried the 2nd gen as well but left it till I finish 1st gen and it is more satisfying as more mechanics match with 3U. Plus it is the largest game till now (not counting MH4 or MH4U) with the largest number of monsters and everything.

So many of the 3rd gen monsters are not in the 4th game? I heard the Gigginox was removed in favour of the original Khezu, and the game does not have the Royal Ludroth and Lagiacrus (since water area is gone), no chance for Caedeus whatsoever. And Alatreon. Or any of the Jaggi, Baggi or Wroggi and not the Quropeco either?
Even though Velocidrome is in, thankfully Great Jaggi is in 4. Dunno if any of Jaggi's brothers are in 4U, but I doubt it.

Great Jaggi is the best.

Second gen for PSP is pretty great, I hear. First gen looks pretty terrible, since so many weapons are limited, and there's fewer weapons and monsters. Everything in first gen just kinda sucks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom