• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Well yea G rank monsters are pretty fast but was asking abut normal monsters and how the gameplay compares to 3U.

I started Monster Hunter Freedom, the absolute first game of the series released on PSP and I really liked it although the farm and fishing is very tedious, not convenient as in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Plus after experiencing the 3rd game, the mechanics seemed very different due to lack of half of the weapons plus limited moveset. The camera was somewhat annoying and the food system was not as clear. Although it was the first game of the series, the roots of the series, it is not bad and still a fairly good game, just annoying if you go back from the 3rd gen.

I tried the 2nd gen as well but left it till I finish 1st gen and it is more satisfying as more mechanics match with 3U. Plus it is the largest game till now (not counting MH4 or MH4U) with the largest number of monsters and everything.

So many of the 3rd gen monsters are not in the 4th game? I heard the Gigginox was removed in favour of the original Khezu, and the game does not have the Royal Ludroth and Lagiacrus (since water area is gone), no chance for Caedeus whatsoever. And Alatreon. Or any of the Jaggi, Baggi or Wroggi and not the Quropeco either?
Freedom Unite has more content than 3U.
1st and 2nd gen were fun, but it almost feels like you're fighting against the game's weird hitboxes more than the actual monsters. I love FU, but it feels stale as a LS main due to not having certain spirit combo mechanics and not being able to fade slash in different directions.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Freedom Unite has more content than 3U.
1st and 2nd gen were fun, but it almost feels like you're fighting against the game's weird hitboxes more than the actual monsters. I love FU, but it feels stale as a LS main due to not having certain spirit combo mechanics and not being able to fade slash in different directions.
Yea I know FU has more content than 3U mostly due to it carrying over almost every monster from the 1st generation while adding more of its own!

I agree about the weird hitboxes! After playing 3U it is really annoying for the Monster to hurt even when their attack technically did not hit our character.

Second gen for PSP is pretty great, I hear. First gen looks pretty terrible, since so many weapons are limited, and there's fewer weapons and monsters. Everything in first gen just kinda sucks.
And all the weapons are limited in their moves + low selection in Freedom 1. And camera control gets horrible sometimes plus the weapons are too too monotonous! Still fun as it IS Monster Hunter :)

The main good thing is that you can mine on the farm (the rest of the farm is very time consuming!) and that the monsters are huge!!! As in they look much bigger than the hunter as compared to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate where there is something wrong with the scaling! Plesioth actually looks as big as a house on Monster Hunter Freedom whereas in MH3U, he is big, but just not AS big. I hope you understand what I am saying.

Plus obviously, the interfaces and stuff are annoying to go through after the convenient interfaces of MH3U! This includes foods, quests, skills, armour and weapon interface. But since the game is so old, can't really complain about that THAT much.

The main bad part though is that when fighting against monsters, I need a weapon of blue sharpness to not get my weapon bounced off but I need to kill the very same monster to get a blue sharpness weapon! Ugh! My only solution is to kill Yian Garuga again and again till I get its weapon. 50 hours in and still loads to go!

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yian Garuga looks amazing in MH4. Like, they really polished up his animations and gave him a bit more character. The equipment for him is as cool as ever. His longbow is actually really fantastic in MH4, too.

MH4 in general pretty much improved everything. They even managed to make the Felynes somewhat interesting... Cha-Cha will be missed, however.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yian Garuga looks amazing in MH4. Like, they really polished up his animations and gave him a bit more character. The equipment for him is as cool as ever. His longbow is actually really fantastic in MH4, too.

MH4 in general pretty much improved everything. They even managed to make the Felynes somewhat interesting... Cha-Cha will be missed, however.
I prefer Kayamba but yea, I will miss both of the Shakalakas!

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Monster Hunter 4 looks great. I just wish they'd go back to simply adding new monsters and keeping everyone from previous gens. I'm gonna miss Barroth :( And yes, Kayamba is the homie.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Monster Hunter 4 looks great. I just wish they'd go back to simply adding new monsters and keeping everyone from previous gens. I'm gonna miss Barroth :( And yes, Kayamba is the homie.
And I am going to miss Barioth! :(

And Kayamba.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
And I am going to miss Barioth! :(

And Kayamba.
Kayamba will be missed, but Felyne companions are alright. I haven't looked into them in 4th gen, but they were pretty cool in Portable 3rd. You could switch out their armor to match your own and they actually looked pretty cool.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Kayamba will be missed, but Felyne companions are alright. I haven't looked into them in 4th gen, but they were pretty cool in Portable 3rd. You could switch out their armor to match your own and they actually looked pretty cool.
Yea I haven't really played Portable 3rd. My first game in the series was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and I am now trying Monster Hunter Freedom which is probably the weakest title in the series as well does not have Felyne companions!

But yea equipping armour to Felynes sound cool. But those dances!!!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well, I can't see affording a "New 3DS," but I shouldn't need one. If the lock-on + touch pad aren't good enough control-wise, there's always the circle pad XL; that's got to be cheaper than a whole other handheld.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well, I can't see affording a "New 3DS," but I shouldn't need one. If the lock-on + touch pad aren't good enough control-wise, there's always the circle pad XL; that's got to be cheaper than a whole other handheld.
Yea I have the Circle Pad pro and it is amazing. Makes the camera flow much better. Not much of an improvement for land battles but amazing for underwater battles. Seriously the new games shouldn't be exclusive to "New 3DS"! They should just use that power for slightly improved graphics like Anti-aliasing, or slightly increased textures. Not games like the Xenoblade port entirely dependent on the new hardware.

I seriously recommend it, $20 is better than spending a whole new $200.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I can play Monster Hunter perfectly with one stick + the pseudo-lock on. The idea of not being able to play future 3DS releases and the idea of some people having access to a c-stick in Smash, while I don't, is what is making me consider buying a New 3DS in the future. Nintendo is so stupid sometimes.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I can play Monster Hunter perfectly with one stick + the pseudo-lock on. The idea of not being able to play future 3DS releases and the idea of some people having access to a c-stick in Smash, while I don't, is what is making me consider buying a New 3DS in the future. Nintendo is so stupid sometimes.
I agree that this whole thing does seem stupid (albeit the custom cases do look fantastic), but @ LasermasterA LasermasterA is right: better just to shell out the $20 than the $200. If they actually show any worthwhile exclusives in the near future, then that's another matter. Maybe Xenoblade is worth it to you? To me it isn't. Unless there is a killer app for the New, I have no plans to get it. A circle pad XL will do fine for me if I need a C-stick for Smash 3DS, or a better camera option for MH4U.

I played the 3DS demo for 3U when that was a thing, and although I don't remember it much, I remember it being fine without the circle pad. I ended up buying the WiiU version, anyway. What a fantastic game that was! A tad easy, but still great. Wish the AI was a bit more aggressive. Always felt like Tri was harder in general. Even Deviljho felt easier in 3U...

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
4U will definitely be available to all 3ds consoles. It would be a terrible decision to make it only for the new ones. And yes, get the CPP! It's only $20 on Amazon and the battery has lasted me almost 200 hours so far.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I agree that this whole thing does seem stupid (albeit the custom cases do look fantastic), but @ LasermasterA LasermasterA is right: better just to shell out the $20 than the $200. If they actually show any worthwhile exclusives in the near future, then that's another matter. Maybe Xenoblade is worth it to you? To me it isn't. Unless there is a killer app for the New, I have no plans to get it. A circle pad XL will do fine for me if I need a C-stick for Smash 3DS, or a better camera option for MH4U.

I played the 3DS demo for 3U when that was a thing, and although I don't remember it much, I remember it being fine without the circle pad. I ended up buying the WiiU version, anyway. What a fantastic game that was! A tad easy, but still great. Wish the AI was a bit more aggressive. Always felt like Tri was harder in general. Even Deviljho felt easier in 3U...
Yea 3U was a bit easy but then the G rank quests are no joke either. My hunting times have improved after getting the CPP and in general I am having even more fun if that is possible. Initially it was a tough getting used to after using the touch screen for so long but I must say that the game has become more amazing. Now just to reach HR 70 and beat up abyssal lagiacrus and get his armour! Plus all the advanced quests that are remaining!

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I MUST have that! But I don't usually pre-order..... Will it be still in stock after day 1? It would be great to get this from Amazon, hope that order opens up soon.

But anyway the price is reasonable I think considering the game itself is $40 so $20 addons doesn't sound too bad. I don't have much experience with collector's editions though.

Thanks for sharing this! Now I can try to get this version of the game!

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Hey, everyone! I have a quick question about Monster Hunter and figured this would probably be the best place to ask. A friend of mine wanted a new 3DS game and, while we were at Gamestop, he said Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate caught his attention, speaking from what I've seen from reviews and such, I told him it would be a good game to pick up if he thought it looked fun.

He's enjoying it so far, but I can't help but feel like he's a little confused on what exactly he has to do and what's the best way to go about it. He also said that he read how the best way to enjoy the game is to play with friends and is insisting I get it to play with him, but I don't know the first thing about Monster Hunter except for what I played in the eShop demo.

So, my question is..what are some general tips, pieces of advice and information you'd recommend to newbies like us? Is there anything we should keep in mind about this game, is it really that much better with other people, and should we stick with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for wait for 4 which is seemingly arriving in the US early next year?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hey, everyone! I have a quick question about Monster Hunter and figured this would probably be the best place to ask. A friend of mine wanted a new 3DS game and, while we were at Gamestop, he said Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate caught his attention, speaking from what I've seen from reviews and such, I told him it would be a good game to pick up if he thought it looked fun.

He's enjoying it so far, but I can't help but feel like he's a little confused on what exactly he has to do and what's the best way to go about it. He also said that he read how the best way to enjoy the game is to play with friends and is insisting I get it to play with him, but I don't know the first thing about Monster Hunter except for what I played in the eShop demo.

So, my question is..what are some general tips, pieces of advice and information you'd recommend to newbies like us? Is there anything we should keep in mind about this game, is it really that much better with other people, and should we stick with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for wait for 4 which is seemingly arriving in the US early next year?
Well I could tell you from experience since I have played Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate solo the whole way. Not that playing with friends is not fun, just no one else had the game where I am. You should definitely try the game, cause it is really really fun and has tons of gameplay and long play length. Even though MH4 is coming out, Monster Hunter is an evergreen sort of game since you hunt monsters over and over again. It is just that you become better each time, i.e. you, the gamer levels up!

Alone the quests are still tons of fun but they are also longer as you are hunting the monster solo. Low level quests can easily be done solo but difficulty starts ramping up at high quests and becomes tough to go solo on G rank. Still possible though as I have completed nearly every quest on G rank alone.

Can't really comment much on the multiplayer aspect but playing with friends is apparently fun and looking at the various videos it seems like it! The monsters will go down faster, you can farm for armour materials faster and you will always have backup. So go for local play with your friend! And solo is always there!

After the start of the game (which is slow so bear with it for a while), I really focused on developing the village as much as possible as once production of the village starts ramping up, you don't have to go out to farm for materials as often. The farm and the fleet is really really useful. Plus you can hunt the big monsters for quick moga points to upgrade the village as well as rare commodities to trade for useful items, like fertilizers for the farm.

This game also has underwater combat which can be a fun experience. It is really fun, and the CPP really improves the combat underwater. This will not be on MH4 so you won't experience some exclusive water monsters that are present in MH3U.

Also pay attention to your armour, try making good ones, skills and upgrade your weapons. Try to choose a weapon that suits you rather than picking a popular weapon and you adapting to it. Once you get a weapon that fits your style, the game really becomes amazing!

Other people here might have better advice but these are my 2 cents!

One final advice: Have fun! And welcome to the world of Monster Hunter!

Last edited:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I MUST have that! But I don't usually pre-order..... Will it be still in stock after day 1? It would be great to get this from Amazon, hope that order opens up soon.

But anyway the price is reasonable I think considering the game itself is $40 so $20 addons doesn't sound too bad. I don't have much experience with collector's editions though.

Thanks for sharing this! Now I can try to get this version of the game!
The page says they're only putting out limited quantities so it is probably a good idea to reserve. I'm heading over to gamestop after class to reserve a copy. Honestly, it's not that bad since you just put down $5 and you're guaranteed a copy.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The page says they're only putting out limited quantities so it is probably a good idea to reserve. I'm heading over to gamestop after class to reserve a copy. Honestly, it's not that bad since you just put down $5 and you're guaranteed a copy.
Ok. Will see about that. I live outside US and my region doesn't have an official Nintendo presence (annoying!!!) due to which I import and thus usually can't pre-order.

Gotta see if I make an exception this time :)

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
For anyone wondering, Gamestop isn't even planning on having the Collector's Edition in stores. Even if you go in and buy it, they ask for your shipping info so they can send it to you on release. Purchasing it on Amazon is the best choice hands down since they won't charge you $11 for shipping like Gamestop.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Can't say the swag entices me too much. I like the lanyard the most, but I would never have an occasion to wear it anyway, and it's hardly worth the extra cash.

MH4U is gonna be a great game. Can't wait to play it. I just wish there was gonna be a WiiU version so I could enjoy it on the big screen. Oh well. I can't take my WiiU to the bookstore to play online, anyway. At least with the 3DS I can go get some internet and play with other people :)

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Can't say the swag entices me too much. I like the lanyard the most, but I would never have an occasion to wear it anyway, and it's hardly worth the extra cash.

MH4U is gonna be a great game. Can't wait to play it. I just wish there was gonna be a WiiU version so I could enjoy it on the big screen. Oh well. I can't take my WiiU to the bookstore to play online, anyway. At least with the 3DS I can go get some internet and play with other people :)
Well you never know....

I saw an article on NintendoLife which showed a poster with the Wii U logo on the top and MH4 in the middle in a German Expo. Might have just been a big mix-up though.

I think the article was here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._expo_banner_raises_questions_with_wii_u_logo

I REPEAT, nowhere does it say there is a Wii U version of MH4U and this is most likely confusion on the end of the one who printed the banner.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The only other time I heard that banner mentioned, it was assumed a misprint. I kinda hope it's true.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Someone linked an article on reddit saying that Nintendo already denied a Wii U version coming out. And yes, it was a misprint.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I've got MH3 on Wii, I hope I can get Ultimate on Wii U soon, the text is sooo blurry.
Yeah, I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to make the text as small as possible. It's incredibly hard to read on all but the largest TVs... Or the gamepad. Other than some monsters being a bit too easy, that was my biggest complaint for 3U.

Last edited:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I got Tri super late, but then saw how small the text was and it was basically a deal breaker for me. Skipped it in favor of Portable 3rd which ended up being pretty good.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I still want it!! Is that a hammer or hunting horn? I am confused...

Well anyway, I want to master it!

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hunting Horn, which makes sense since Taito no Tatsujin is a Rhythm game~

Yea thought so. Just wanted to confirm....

Well I have NEVER used Hunting Horns so I guess this will be a first experience. I just craft them for collection but I don't think I have beaten any quest with a Horn.

Well guess I gotta start practicing. Gotta learn em all!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Isabelle from Animal Crossing is in Monster Hunter 4, too

I don't even xD

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well I am not too sure about the animal crossing crossover, but as long as the game is a success then some crossovers which don't fit Monster Hunter can be fine.

Top Bottom