• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
heh lol.. Mogwai.. sorry I didn't mean for you to actually answer that i was just going along with the other guy.. I appreciate the compliment though........

Exquisite is the word i use for halo.....lol..sounds really cool so i just used it here..........XD

I meant nothing in what i said about my falco. just caught in the moment

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
whens lesson 3? this thread has inspired me to pick up falco again
lesson 3 won't be until the week of Christmas and I still haven't decided on what to do it on.

I will also be putting up the other laser HWs after this weekend.

Sorry for the delay on stuff (even though i have no schedule so technically a delay is impossible), I have had a large quantity of work dumped on me to get done before the New Year and as such have been a little too mentally drained to give Falco School much thought.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
that's why Mogwai is passing the Falco thread to me.. so I can show the world how it's REALLY DONE!.. Mogwai.. is a bad kid............lol........I love myself!............A WHOLE ****IN LOT\\RIGHT MOGWAI? you love me huh?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
that's why Mogwai is passing the Falco thread to me.. so I can show the world how it's REALLY DONE!.. Mogwai.. is a bad kid............lol........I love myself!............A WHOLE ****IN LOT\\RIGHT MOGWAI? you love me huh?
oh shit, bringing the talk to my thread now, are you?

you're not nearly articulate enough to teach Falco school. besides, does you has skills like these!?!?!?

seriously though, we can talk **** in another thread, I'd rather keep this one mostly serious. hey, I know! we can use one of your terrible spam threads that does nothing but troll the gullible Falco boards! see you there!

Ryan-K

Smash Master
is it just me or does marth have a tendency to float out of shine combos? is it better to just utilt him out of aerials at like mid percents?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
oh shit, bringing the talk to my thread now, are you?

you're not nearly articulate enough to teach Falco school. besides, does you has skills like these!?!?!?

seriously though, we can talk **** in another thread, I'd rather keep this one mostly serious. hey, I know! we can use one of your terrible spam threads that does nothing but troll the gullible Falco boards! see you there!
hey...........hey............hey..........I dont like ur attitude......... that hurt my feelings... lol but i do agree with you.... I like....doin what i Do..

and no im not drunk.. just bored out of my ****in mind......

so yeah.......

and my skills... are kajillions times better than those.. son! xD

DippnDots

Feral Youth
smashboards is 10x more bearable when under one to three influences

Ad: PLAY MECHQUEST TODAY!!!!!

YEAH MECHQUEST

AXE 09

Smash Master
holy crap! when did all this talk with vman start? man, what have i been missing lol.

sorry about vectorman everyone... he's.... pretty crazy, but hey, you gotta love him. he's better in person lol. anyways....

just wanted to apologize. vman, thanks for having my back on the boards, but DUDE! i don't want everyone to hate me. lol i guess you do what you do :p

Mogwai, sorry about that, he loves talking crap and stuff^^ he's just that kinda guy. i know you're the best player in your city. i'm also the best in mine... it'd be cool if we could play one day^^ i kinda just wanna play some melee lol. fun stuff

for anyone who wants to see Vman's mewtwo.... or my pikachu.... or vman's falco..... i'll just post up a few good matches hehe

Falco ditto's: (gotta love powershields^^)
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tpr_QqeiMs

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsybWffox4&feature=channel_page

Mewtwo Pikachu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kvCgP-ys6k&feature=channel_page

sorry i had to post this in your thread, mogwai. it's cool that you're teaching others about melee, cuz melee is amazing :) just letting everyone know that the best way to learn is through experience

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
LOL that ftilt clip reminds me of homemadewaffles
he ftilts with almost every char for edge guarding LOL

with falco, i like to jab jab ftilt...
is that bad? lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
LOL that ftilt clip reminds me of homemadewaffles
he ftilts with almost every char for edge guarding LOL

with falco, i like to jab jab ftilt...
is that bad? lol
um, it's ok on floaties, but the jabs on fast fallers will generally make them grab the ledge.

HWs will be up this weekend, lesson 3 will come in with the new year at the latest.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
um, it's ok on floaties, but the jabs on fast fallers will generally make them grab the ledge.

HWs will be up this weekend, lesson 3 will come in with the new year at the latest.
yeah. i did learn that ftilt with almost every char is good enought to stop illusions and fire foxes.

HWs?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I... like this thread. XD

I just scrolled down and saw the laser height practice stuff and though "man, that's creative."

___

It's nice to have another idea about the laser game, cause I just stole everything I know from watching lambchops and eggm. >.>

___

But yeah, this thread is pretty nice. Thanks for all the effort.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Mogwai, recently I've been missing my waveshines when I go backwards. I end up just turnaround shining and sitting there. Do you know why this is happening? I've been trying to figure it out. I know that I hit the jump button, but nothing happens.

I also have trouble against this Marth because I get shield grabbed like crazy. Whenever he shields, I flub my timing. The shine still comes out, but I don't fast fall in between. I think it also has to do with the fact that I waveshine by default. I probably just have to fix that habit. Gotta learn to adapt and either short hop a dair or grab out of shine.

Big_R

Smash Champion
just dair over there shield and if they shield grab uptilt. if they wd out to f smash shield

but ya also work on ur tech cuz u dont wanna do that all the time.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Mogwai, recently I've been missing my waveshines when I go backwards. I end up just turnaround shining and sitting there. Do you know why this is happening? I've been trying to figure it out. I know that I hit the jump button, but nothing happens.
I actually am not 100% sure of this, but I think that if you were to press jump on the same frame that you accidentally shine-turned, you wouldn't jump (I think shine turn results in 1 inactionable frame).

Either way, just practice a bunch and you'll get the timing.

I also have trouble against this Marth because I get shield grabbed like crazy. Whenever he shields, I flub my timing. The shine still comes out, but I don't fast fall in between. I think it also has to do with the fact that I waveshine by default. I probably just have to fix that habit. Gotta learn to adapt and either short hop a dair or grab out of shine.
Wait on your dair until the last possible second. Stop coming into his shield with it already out and instead jump into his shield and at the last second dair it. Of course if you see his shield go up, also dair.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
MMMmmm this thread is still to good! Thanks for answering my questions a few back, mogwai.
I have a question about the "Immediate Double Jumped Double Laser":
When I do it, the second laser always goes to high, even if I fast-fall ASAP. Important note: whenever I double jump lasers I do it with the same timing as I would do a SHDL for fox (I do this whenever I doublejump and neutral b with any char. Do I have to delay my timing for the second laser to go low enough?

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I actually am not 100% sure of this, but I think that if you were to press jump on the same frame that you accidentally shine-turned, you wouldn't jump (I think shine turn results in 1 inactionable frame).

Either way, just practice a bunch and you'll get the timing.
True.

Also, slowing down a little would probably benefit you. By turning around before you jump, you're actually hitting the control stick before the jump button, which isn't really necessary at all if you're on the ground. It's not nearly as noticeable as when you're waveshining forward because tapping the control stick forward doesn't change anything (you're already facing that way, so it does nothing). Try starting slow again, just working on jumping and wavelanding backwards. Eventually, add the shine, and then speed the process up.

The way dashizwiz does it is by shining, sliding his thumb in the forward direction, THEN jumping and bringing it backwards. I learned to waveshine backwards much more effectively with this, and I began to have a lot less of the "shine-turns" that you have now. He also said that it allows for easier "perfect" waveshines with Falco and Fox.

Ex. If shiz is facing to the right, he'll shine, bring the control stick to the right ( or down and to the right), hit Y (I'm pretty sure he uses Y), and airdodge diagonally into the ground to his left.

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
OK, FINE, Mogwai, I'll take a hint. To do a reverse LHDL, how hard to I have to press away from the stage, and how to I DI back? Step by step instuctions would be appreciated.

ALSO... is there a thread on the ledge guarding options for Falco? Or is that the next lesson? Mindgames, uses of the shine or movement ideas would be good too.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
I have a question about the "Immediate Double Jumped Double Laser":
When I do it, the second laser always goes to high, even if I fast-fall ASAP. Important note: whenever I double jump lasers I do it with the same timing as I would do a SHDL for fox (I do this whenever I doublejump and neutral b with any char. Do I have to delay my timing for the second laser to go low enough?
Yeah I think you do have to ff immediatly because when I do it I don't delay the second one yet I get a laser at the peak of the jump and near the floor, I just hold down after I hit laser. I hit B right before I hit the peak of his jump so when you hold down it ffs as soon as possible then you just press b again. just practice. Also how high do you get the second laser? because if you dont fastfall the 2 lasers end up around the same height

ALSO... is there a thread on the ledge guarding options for Falco?
Ledgeguarding depends on character to character but it's generally shoot out lasers (except for luigi since you let him misfire more by stopping him) to make them drop then grab the ledge and dair/bair. vs fox and falco (especially fox) you want to watch their angle, since alot of the time foxes will up b at a steep vertical angle if they are coming from below, to be outside of the range of bair and then land as you leave the edge. fsmash often works if they are coming to sweetspot from above, dsmash hits the edge, ftilt is good too.

tl;dr: edgehog bair or dsmash

DippnDots

Feral Youth
OK, FINE, Mogwai, I'll take a hint. To do a reverse LHDL, how hard to I have to press away from the stage, and how to I DI back? Step by step instuctions would be appreciated.
It's a feeling you have to get down. We can't give you an exact measurement of how hard you have to mash the control stick. Step by step instructions include, run off the stage, fastfall, jump back, reverse lazer and immediatly after he turns around to shoot you can hold the control stick towards the stage without fear of using his foward b. You can hit B for the second lazer while holding towards the stage without illusioning because he's already got his pistol out. And of course, fast fall at the end.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I don't want to claim to be an expert on this, because I still mess up every so often. I can, however, do it pretty consistently, and here's how I do it.

The general plan is to drop, jump, face away from the stage, fire twice, and end up moving backwards. This is only going to happen if you use the control stick for everything. You just don't have time to drop, press X or Y, flick the control stick away from the stage, press B, and then start DI-ing back to the stage while you press B again. It's just not going to work (it doesn't for me, at least). Make sure you've got regular LHDL down before you do this, because it's quite a bit harder.

I'm going to assume that you're on the right side of a stage, hanging from the ledge.

1. Drop from the ledge (down on the control stick)

2. Jump up and be facing the other way, away from the stage. To do this, you need to flick (or push REALLY quickly if it works better for you) the control stick opposite the direction you were hanging from, but as close to where you need to push it to go up. In other words, you need to push/flick the control stick in between notches 1 and 2, assuming 1 is "straight up" and 2 is "up and away from the stage", here up and to the right, much closer to the "straight up" notch. You can start practicing here, just by jumping out like this and DI-ing back to the stage.

3.-4. Fire a laser and IMMEDIATELY press the control stick towards the stage. It doesn't have to be a hard push, but it has to be done very quickly. You'll soon find out your limit if you end up doing this but not reaching the stage, thus SD-ing while firing lasers.

You'll know if you're going too slow by SD-ing. You'll know if you've pressed the control stick too far from the "upper notch" if you can't make it back even without firing the lasers. You'll know if you're going too FAST if you find yourself using your up-b instead of jumping and firing lasers.

For these reasons, I find it easier to push down on the control stick and then do a flicking motion where I guide it to a spot where I know I'll jump and be facing the other way (for lack of measurement, we'll call it anywhere between 10 and 25 degrees away from the upper notch) and then pretty much pushing it up, but letting go of it in the process. I'm not sure if this is the absolute best way to do it, but it makes reaching the stage a lot easier for me. This is because letting go of the control stick after jumping and facing backwards returns it to neutral, so I don't use a "firefalco." The control stick should never actually "rest" at neutral, because as soon as it begins to reset, you should be pressing it toward the stage, by which time you should have already pressed B to fire the first laser.

5. Keep DI-ing toward the stage and fire a second laser. The animation from firing the first laser will prevent you from ever doing a side b instead of a second laser, so you don't have to worry about that. What you do need to worry about is that you didn't jump out too far to DI back and land on the stage. When combining this with the end of the last step, the order is (already facing away from the stage) B>DI toward stage>B again (while still DIing)

6.? Ideally, you'ld want to fastfall if at all possible, but I don't even ever really bother with this. Either they won't be close enough for it to matter, or if they are, then you would probably have done just as well with a ledge-hopped back air

Sorry if this was confusing. I didn't mean for it to be this long and wordy. Drop, jump with the control stick so that you're facing away, fire a laser and immediately begin DI-ing back to the stage once the control stick is about at neutral, and fire the second one while still DIing

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
argh, i just got a new controller, my lasering has gotten better cuz of its stiffness, and more control, but my Lcancels are so screwed up.

oh and reverse LHDL, just apply what you learned about moving reverse lasers and apply it to your LHDL's, in otherwords, just reverse Laser after you ledge hop, mash b, while holding your control stick back facing the stage

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I'll probably post some of my friendlies vs. Sensei and Tec0 from SPOC VI, they were pretty awesome and funny.

Sorry for not keeping up with this thread or anything during the holidays, I've been mad busy with work and family. I'll try to get those other laser practices up before the New Year and then I'll start thinking about Lesson 3's topic.

Top Bottom