• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Picks up Brawl

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
An All-Out Brawl
The Super Smash Bros. series is deeply intertwined with MLG’s roots, and we are thrilled to announce that Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii will be joining the Pro Circuit in 2010, marking a triumphant return for the franchise. With an intensely devoted fanbase and a fiercely high level of competition, Brawl will undoubtedly find itself right at home alongside the Pro Circuit’s other world-class titles.

* Registration for MLG Orlando Opens March 17 at 7pm ET
* The top 16 ranked players overall will earn pro status following the second Live Competition
* Over $60,000 in season prizes. Full prize list
* The first Super Smash Bros. Brawl Online Qualifier will be for MLG Columbus, and will help players boost their seed at all live competitions. Online Qualifier registration opens on March 15, and competition begins on March 29.
* More info coming soon!
I am soooooo happy :)
**** y'all haters (who can kiss the ***** of myself and MLG), a good year is ahead.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You are correct Cao!
So let us rejoice in this wondrous news.

It'll be like the good old days back in high school where I followed all of the MLGs and watched Ken and PC Chris, Korean DJ, all those guys.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Online qualifiers?

Lol. This'll be interesting. I'm glad it's back on the circuit at least.

Still wish it was Melee T_T.

Also inb4 campfest finals lol.

tibs7

Smash Champion
camping only happens if its m2k vs someone with a projectile, or ally vs d3/IC, or olimar vs everyone....goddayum so many campers >.>
otherwise its quite **** lol.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Online qualifiers?

Lol. This'll be interesting.
That's just for the first one for seeding purposes "since no one will have live seed points."

This is pretty awesome news ^^

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
About time_ I'm looking forward to seeing this happen_ how do you think this will affect the Australian Brawl community in regards to future nationals, sponsorship and scene growth_?

MTGod

Smash Champion
Hopefully we can get some Aussies to represent in the MLG somewhere along the line, or MLG to have something highly publicised in Aus - if that happens Aussie Brawl will get a massive boost in popularity, but I don't think it's gonna make too much of a splash otherwise...

I think the current TOs are doing a fantastic job regarding tournaments though, tbh... The national tournaments I've seen seem to have gone relatively without problems, which is an amazing feat for volunteers to accomplish :p Mad props to the TOs :D

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Perhaps not to either of you guys (Dekar and Moose), but I'll enjoy it and so will everybody else. If there wasn't interest, it wouldn't be on the lineup. Read the line at the start about haters.

The real question is why Street Fighter IV isn't on the lineup.

Halo 3
Tekken 6
Brawl
CoD: MW2
Madden NFL

:/

Seems ridiculous.
I'm sure everybody and their friend would pick up SF4 if it were added as well.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Because MLG is nothing to the fighting game scene. Cept maybe Tekken.

We already have SBO, Evo and a ****load of other tournaments.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Tbh, I think the Shoryuken community is pretty elitist towards MLG, but yeah, I could be wrong.

Evo really does take care of it in America.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
MLG is worse then EVO lol

They decide to pick up either all the

a) dead games that no one plays anymore
b) games that are only interesting to those who play it at a competitive level (Tekken, somewhat brawl)
c) games that just generally do not belong in a competitive scene

MLG is just an embarrassment of a tournament series now, hence why no good games are represented in it (Tekken gets away with this I guess but it's reallllly boring to watch unless you know what's going on)

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Pretty sure we at least play games that are actually active at the very least, I mean Halo and Madden(lol) are obviously super active atm =<

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
you dont find it fun, you dont have to play or come @_@
i think ill take that approach to brawl soon.. when i get lots of money that i can buy cool games like star ocean 4, mass effect 2, heavy rain, white knight, elderscrolls, ff14?
ionno if they are anygood, any good or bad reviews on them?

Alzi

Smash Master
Who cares there is HUGE MONEY ON THE LINE OF THE ROD. The people are all fish they will all try and grab it no matter what game it is.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Tak, Halo is by far and away MLG's largest trump card. It dwarfs over anything from Smash or SF in America. And people could have actually watched it on TV in the States (on ESPN or something from 2007-2008).

Also, MLG is excellent at making Smash grow; Evo is terrible at it.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I was only refering to SF4.

MLG does have the biggest Halo scene in the World. It's just that SF4 is run by the SF scene.

And the SF scene has always had ties with EVO. That's just how it is.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
I knew it was around in 2007 but if people are still playing/watching it then wow.... that's good for them I guess >_>

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
I knew it was around in 2007 but if people are still playing/watching it then wow.... that's good for them I guess >_>
Halo is Amazing! 'WoW' is the correct statement when playing at the highest levels. I would still be playing it if I didnt have low net cap and had more then a couple friends that still played at high enough levels.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
melee came out in 2001
counter-strike came out in 1999
starcraft came out in 1998

Alzi

Smash Master
He is trying to do a Alzi and say like people shoudn't be playing old games.

When i said people should just drop melee since it's old and just move onto new things like Brawl. He just did a Alzi.

Pete278

Smash Lord
This would be good news, great even, if MLG did anything of note except give fratboys a reason to think Halo is a good game. It might bring in people, sure, but it'll lower the respect given to Brawl by other scenes by alot.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
I was actually surprised people still played Halo competitively, not saying that it's a bad game or anything it's just that I really haven't heard anything about people playing it in ages so I figured it was a dead game -_-

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
aww tak dont be mean to my halo T_T It's not as big (or seems so) as H2 days but there are still lots of smaller communities around especially in Aus, just recently in Bris there was a 4v4 tourney with $5k for 1st place, plus theres always a 2v2 tourney at lansmash with upwards of $600 prize pot. Halo is a seemingly quite community, yet its still probs the biggest competitive console community in the world. When I was in Alice springs, I went bowling with one of my work mates.. and everyone there played halo... where talking a dozern+ people and they all played it on xbl.. I was like omg best town ever XD

As for MLG, they only want brawl cause more peeps are turning up and they get more money for it.. they dont give a **** about the game..

unreon

Smash Ace
MLG should take up SF4 because that would be AWESOME. It would just supplement EVO for the USA community, not be in direct competition.

Communities need to stop it with this elitist tournament bull****.

Being on TV is NEVER a bad thing.

Good on the Brawl community for making it in; you guys better not disappoint! I will definitely keep my eyes on this.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Any major representation is good representation_ I doubt that other communities will lose respect for Brawl purely because of the League it is associated with_ If so then it is pure elitism_

Top Bottom