• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG is extremely irresponsible towards smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
jv just informed me on aim just now that MLG lost ALL the FCD matches

i don't need to say anything else, cept that that's pretty ****ing irresponsible especially considering I think I played really well in the matches that I've been waiting almost a year for

mods do not close this, people need to know about this bull****

Drephen

Smash Master
stop complaining, I think its really immature to make a thread about it. What the hell do you hope to accomplish with this thread?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
lol @ MLG

Who cares about them anymore? They dropped our game and have nothing but shooters now. Do they even have any fighting games? At least add GG so I can have a reason to attend an MLG event.

Although I hear some awesome Smashball Brawl is going to happen or something lololol.

Eggz

Smash Hero
rules are rules lol

calm down m2k

but yeah, that sucks that mlg doesnt have them. too bad they're like a year old and nothing in them would be impressive anymore...but yeah. >_>;

D

Deleted member

hey Drephen, weren't the one who, after we almost finished a match on battlefield, decided to quit the match when it was 99% done because "Battlefield wasn't on random"

nothing you say matters
in the words of the great chillindude829

chillindude829 said:
DAAAAAAAAMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
You guys are mean, why don't you just tell him what it is?

http://www.fcd-us.org/

Here's a brief overview of the FCD. The educational achievement of America's children continues to lag behind that of other nations. Among the 41 nations participating in the 2003 Program for Student Assessment survey, American 15-year-olds ranked 12th in reading, 20th in science, and 25th in math.

Improving the ability of America's children to compete globally requires that they have a solid foundation in reading, writing, and math. They must be able to be creative and work productively with others. The years from Prekindergarten through Third Grade (PK-3) are critical to developing these skills.

The National Assessment for Education Progress (NAEP), known as "the nation's report card," reinforces the connection between PK-3 and academic achievement. The 2006 report of the Child Well-Being Index tracks the NAEP scores for children in Grades Four, Eight, and Twelve from 1975-2004. With one exception, the NAEP scores show little change over the 30-year time period.

The scores for fourth graders are the lone bright spot in the NAEP data. The math and reading scores for fourth graders began improving in the mid-1990s. This improvement in academic achievement tracks the increase in Prekindergarten provision during this period. According to the CWI, "increases in pre-K enrollment rates have been leading indicators of subsequent increase in fourth grade test scores."

While Prekindergarten is necessary to improve educational achievement, research shows that it is not sufficient. To sustain the gains children make in Prekindergarten, the Foundation for Child Development believes that PK standards, curriculum, instruction, and assessment must be aligned with what happens in elementary school, especially Kindergarten through Third Grade, i.e., PK-3.

PK-3 is a practical, research-based approach to alignment between PK and K-3 education for which real-life examples exist. PK-3 describes how schools can be organized to support the developmental requirements of children three- to eight-years-old (PK through Third Grade) to build a strong foundation for lifelong learning. It integrates the subject-matter focus of K-3 education with the child-development focus of early education. Research demonstrates that the educational, economic, and social benefits of a PK-3 approach can extend into adulthood.

To support the expansion of PK-3, the Foundation for Child Development established the PK-3 Initiative. The PK-3 Initiative includes efforts to encourage research on PK-3 practice and child outcomes, to build a PK-3 Network, and to advocate for federal, state, and school district policies that support PK-3 implementation.

Vist

Smash Champion
LOL XD

yeah, MLG has been real shady towards the smash scene. I think they pissed off people with their recent Brawl video contest a bit too.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
LOL XD

yeah, MLG has been real shady towards the smash scene. I think they pissed off people with their recent Brawl video contest a bit too.
lolol, they thought a person demonstrating the footstool jump was more impressive than DBR's showoff video.

Drephen

Smash Master
hey Drephen, weren't the one who, after we almost finished a match on battlefield, decided to quit the match when it was 99% done because "Battlefield wasn't on random"

nothing you say matters
Eggz said:
rules are rules lol
yep lol, normally i woulda finished the match, but it was versus you soooooooo.... lol

and it was fun to see your nerdy *** get all flustered about it lol

mlgc4

Smash Apprentice
Sundance feels that people who run smash,are trying to pull more control over mlg smash then his control over mlg in general.You guys need to stop spamming sundace ,John Nelson ,Chris Puckett andMark Bombara about brawl suggestions.They fix alot of the stuff but your making then wanna lean only towards online?They're getting annoyed by alot of smashers because people are fussing at them to much about the game.
=[

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
lol @ MLG

Who cares about them anymore? They dropped our game and have nothing but shooters now. Do they even have any fighting games? At least add GG so I can have a reason to attend an MLG event.
uh... you do realize that MLG picks up the popular current game, not 1 consistant game, which is why dropped melee and madden (which sadly, would have been one of their biggest game)
LOL XD

No they're not. They're just like everybody else who isnt in the smash scene, uninformed. (looks at evo)

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
MLG, Evo, and every other big tournement host are *******. The only way to do things rught is to have a community ran event. Gay ****

Adi

Smash Lord
I was wondering where they were lol.. Well looks like we won't have much to remember Melee's final year.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea, then they hired JV to be in charge of the underground circuit. Most of this thread is just *****ing and moaning over...well, nothing.

When Smash was run in 2006, no one complained.
When Smash had an underground circuit in 2007, no one complained.

The only complaints toward MLG are:
-Lost FC vids, and this was likely a problem at a low level on MLG (intern or something, for example, its not like you should expect Sundance to record DVD's, there is no hidden agenda)
-Poorly chosen video winners for the contest, but, they realized this and fixed it partially with community choice voting, so don't say they don't listen
-No Brawl in 2008, but, for some reason I don't think MLG can be faulted here, espcially since none of us knows if Brawl could be picked up, because it is still a possibility, Shadowrun was added halfway through last year and WoW was added just a few days ago for this year, things can still happen.

This is basically an example of how people are biting the hand that once fed them, MLG doesn't owe anything to the Smash community, really, but if we prove our game to be worth it and they pick it up, we owe A LOT to them, and you know what, they did cater to Smash, in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007.

M2K: Your right, sucks that the vids are lost, things could have been handled better. Mistakes happen. I'm sorry about it, I'm sure JV is sorry about it, and I highly doubt MLG intentionally lost any vids and I'm sure the guys in the video department are sorry about it. However, what can be done? Complaining, especially nonconstructive complaining, doesn't help, doesn't get you anywhere, and just makes you and many of the people posting in this thread look like spoiled children, which, since your one of the top players, poorer reflects on the rest of the community as well.

uh... you do realize that MLG picks up the popular current game, not 1 consistant game, which is why dropped melee and madden (which sadly, would have been one of their biggest game)
Not true. Melee wasn't chosen because of popularity, but it become popular as it the scene grew with MLG's help, we would not be where we are today had MLG not been there between 2004-2006. R6V2/GoW are not popular tournament titles, they are popular games, but tournament wise, not so popular. Madden was dropped because of sponsor issues, the sponsor wanted to run their own tournaments and they still do so today.

In other words (in terms of tournament attendance:
MLG 2008L
Halo 3: popular
R6V2: not popular
GoW: not popular
WoW: popular

MLG 2007
Halo 2: popular
R6V: not popular
GoW: not popular
Shadowrun: not popular

MLG 2006
Smash: popular

MLG 2005
Smash: not popular (maybe somewhat later in the season)
random traditional fighters: not popular

SCOTU

Smash Hero
That is kinda ********. I was looking forward to those vids. Good thing i got to see at least a lot of them... but still...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Not true. Melee wasn't chosen because of popularity, but it become popular as it the scene grew with MLG's help, we would not be where we are today had MLG not been there between 2004-2006. R6V2/GoW are not popular tournament titles, they are popular games, but tournament wise, not so popular. Madden was dropped because of sponsor issues, the sponsor wanted to run their own tournaments and they still do so today.
That is specifically what im talking about, which is why games get picked up.

Realistically, not alot of people liked GoW, but it had waaaay too much publicity and advertising when it came out. Add in the fact that it is a shooter (which MLG is blatently leaning towards, whether it's stated or implied)

With that being said, i will admit that even though I personally wouldnt want to see it, i have no clue why MLG hasnt slated Brawl already.

And no, this isnt the "MLG owes us" attitude. This just goes along with my arguement and the fact that they have expressed interested in Brawl.

-edit-
I forgot to point out the one flaw in my whole arguement that you did nail on the head.

What the f*** is Shadowrun? That is the ONLY game i never heard of in MLG, and i never heard of it period.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman

Realistically, not alot of people liked GoW, but it had waaaay too much publicity and advertising when it came out. Add in the fact that it is a shooter (which MLG is blatently leaning towards, whether it's stated or implied)

I have no idea what you mean by GoW wasn't liked. It was (arguably) the first killer app for the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom