• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mission Complete!- Fox Discussion Thread

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
run off bair stage spike works against certain characters recovery's (it works on fox in the ditto match if he uses upB to come straight up), foxes custom wind reflector can also work to pseudo shine spike characters whose recoveries go straight up.
ledge trumping might give you an opening but only if the opponent doesn't know what to do in that situation.
Also very occasionally you can gimp people if you use the impact blaster custom.

Foxes edgeguard game is garbage.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Edgeguarding with Fox:
Step 1: You don't.
Basically this. Unless your opponent is :4littlemac:, going offstage to edeguard isn't something you should be trying.

I mean, yeah, you can go do F-air / B-air offstage swag, but that's never safe and is risky business if you mess up. B-air stage-spikes work at the right angles as long as you can predict it and are 100% sure you'll get it (this comes down to knowing your opponent).

The only true safe move you have offstage is N-air, though that's only good for racking up damage, not many characters can actually get gimped from that. If you can get your opponent close to 80%, fake them out until you can get the KO.

Speaking of faking out, actually, there is one better way to get your opponent once they're offstage: stay onstage.

Seriously, just stay onstage near the ledge and cover your opponent's option. Fox is very fast and his dash startup lets him cover a lot of ground, mix it up with pivots and perfect pivots to fake out the opponent. You can move very fast from about 1/2 one and a half Marth f-smashes towards the ledge of the stage if you need to intercept the opponent in some way. You can also use your Dash to shield game to fake out. You can go in with a grab -> throw off-stage, a KO move, dash attack, intercept a ledge-jump with N-air, etc.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
DavemanCozy said:
Speaking of faking out, actually, there is one better way to get your opponent once they're offstage: stay onstage.
To add to this, if your opponent does a lot of Attacks/Jumps from the edge, SH Dair frame traps pretty well and knocks them back onto the edge again. You can generally catch people with one or two of these before they start spamming rolls onto edge or normal getups at which point you're at an advantage with grabs and pivots. Fox has great options to cover every single thing his opponent can do getting up from the edge and if they stay there/re-grab, DSmash kills incredibly early off the ledge on most characters. I believe USmash hits Mario and some other characters on the ledge too.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I use a lot of nair to beat off ledge options, works well and as skarfelt said, if your pressure causes them to screw up and regrab (or try to shark you) then you get a free dsmash kill almost all the time. Always be mindful of when they wont get ledge invincibility and act fast to punish it hard.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Yeah, there's a few matchups where I've found just running off and even just sourspotting a Nair is fine - Diddy Kong recovering vertically, the ditto vertically (although I've found Dair better if they're forced into Fox Fire which isn't often) but mainly Ness. Ness is a bit risky for obvious reasons but it'd be a crime to not at least attempt to gimp his recovery if you can. All these options said, though, Yoshi is still so incredibly difficult to edgeguard and he's stronger than Fox on-stage with Nair breaking out of everything and better KO options throughout. Maybe this belongs in a different thread but on the subject of matchups, how are you guys dealing with Yoshi?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You gotta outplay the Yoshi player if you wanna win. He does pretty much everything better than Fox imo

:059:

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
It took me awhile to get used to new Fox but he's back to being my 2nd main!! :D I hated his voice and how much weaker he is but eventually I adapted and grown to love his chipmunk like voice xD So I wanted too share this cause I randomly had the urge to draw Fox so I sketched him on Art Academy Sketchpad!! -^.^-
zlCfzS2jtuwOEQB5YW.jpg

and then colored on top of it xD
zlCfzS2mGMsB2EdNQD.jpg

jr22

Smash Apprentice
Nice sketch man, that's a very legit drawing. Makes me want to draw right now.

MunsterMash

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicU85
Dont't be foolish. Nair has a lot of priority and can kill Cpt.Falcon, Falco, diddy etc. if you time it right. It's all about matchups. Obviously there's times it's not worth it like against sheik.
I'm aware that you can throw out a nair offstage against certain characters but I don't think he has anything besides that. Also I just wanted to throw in a little joke

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
We really should get on that. Supposed top 10 character by Japan's tier list and according to other top players, yet we barely have anything in this board. Shulk is a supposed D tier in Japan yet he gets about 100 posts per day in his board.

I guess we have the "Fox's bad matchups" thread, but that only covers the bad ones and my johns about Little Mac, lol

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I'm working on a ginormous list of combos atm. Maybe I should post what I have and get people to add to it? Could spark discussion.
And Shulk gets a ton of love because a) he's a newcomer b) he's British c) he's really unique d) he has Reyn quotes, aka the best dialogue in the world and e) Jerm and his friggin' combo vids/stream

EDIT: As of this post, I am the last person to reply to every one of the stickied threads. Soon I shall be the only one on these boards at all. Dave, get your ass back to the Custom Moves yoke and help me make sets.

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I am slowy getting the list of DJC stuff done, sorry for being slow

also I won a tourney with fox yesterday, go fox!

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Mmm, I hope djc list can get compiled, I am very much interested in against which characters it works without them able to do anything about it and such.

@DM, I get the feeling that it could be, but as usual, chars with very fast aerials will get you I'd think Precisely why I hate Luigi and other Mario casts. Their aerials are like... Nevermind.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys, I could not find a Fox Match-Up Thread so I decided to post here. If I am in the incorrect area, I apologize in advance. Anyways, we just started discussion on the Fox Match-Up at the Lucina Match-Up Thread. It would be awesome if you guys could help us out!

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Yeah we never got around to making a real MU thread so we all just default to this one :/
And sure thing, I'd love to help. Especially since I got my backside handed to me by a great Lucy last night.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I kind of wonder where the top Foxes went... This board is already dead compared to other boards, formulating MU tables and all...

elmike

Smash Apprentice
I kind of wonder where the top Foxes went... This board is already dead compared to other boards, formulating MU tables and all...
i would like to see how popular fox is in this game compared with others characters (like in a poll or some data from nintendo).
I think i have only fighted versus 3 fox's in for glory, and i'm almost sure only 1 of them mained him

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Is there a Fox social thread? My apologies if this is to the wrong thread.

But on that note, hello to all the brawl foxes I've met before and to the new ones as well.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Is there a Fox social thread? My apologies if this is to the wrong thread.

But on that note, hello to all the brawl foxes I've met before and to the new ones as well.
I am glad that you are alive. Heh. And, unfortunately, I do not think we have a social thread. Remember the group we started on Skype in 2013? That died as well. Too bad. Fox mains need to communicate with each other more at the very least.

Also, @ elmike elmike , I think Fox is widely recognized as a nice char, but not many play him properly or end up giving up on him because he isn't Diddy or something. <- Purely a speculation. Anywho, not many Fox mains are there I am sure. They end up choosing someone big and strong or Diddy.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
It is an undisputed fact that the Fox boards are relatively uneventful due to these reasons.

Fox mains are...
A) too busy winning tourneys.
B) so sexy that their free time is spent waving off unworthy suitors.
C) actual furries who may have immense game knowledge but are preoccupied with making faux tails (looking at you Uzi).
D) so driven to win that they are involved in endless pursuit of other life challenges.
5) barely literate.
F) either completely irrational geniuses who win by adapting strategies on the spot or predictable creatures of habit who don't know when to stop recovering using Illusion at the exact same spot. Either way these strategies are incapable of being written down or too uninformative to warrant attention.

Or, just like our main, we are so unloved by the Nintendo community (nerfs following Melee, lack of a recent Starfox title, underwhelming Amiibo sales) that we just don't even bother to unholster our blasters or shine our reflectors anymore. GG Fox Boards

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
It is an undisputed fact that the Fox boards are relatively uneventful due to these reasons.

Fox mains are...
A) too busy winning tourneys.
B) so sexy that their free time is spent waving off unworthy suitors.
C) actual furries who may have immense game knowledge but are preoccupied with making faux tails (looking at you Uzi).
D) so driven to win that they are involved in endless pursuit of other life challenges.
5) barely literate.
F) either completely irrational geniuses who win by adapting strategies on the spot or predictable creatures of habit who don't know when to stop recovering using Illusion at the exact same spot. Either way these strategies are incapable of being written down or too uninformative to warrant attention.

Or, just like our main, we are so unloved by the Nintendo community (nerfs following Melee, lack of a recent Starfox title, underwhelming Amiibo sales) that we just don't even bother to unholster our blasters or shine our reflectors anymore. GG Fox Boards
A) I hope Fox mains are winning tourneys.
B) Hah, I wish. It ain't me. Heh.
C) Furries. No surprise there, I suppose.
D) Hah!
5) I seriously doubt that though, we Star Fox mains are smart? Heh.
F) I'd actually be falling into both parts there.

Meh, I guess we are all loners, or may be we just hate to let some secrets out. Even amongst Fox mains. Too bad there aren't not many top players playing Fox or like playing Fox for competitive purposes instead of pocket Fox'ing.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
You've got to be kidding. I have the fox amiibo. Every little detail is there. He is amazing compared to the more simple looking characters.
I wish I was kidding. I'm looking at my Fox Amiibo right now and I completely agree. But he's still a Wave 1 character who is still in circulation without a price increase. The fact I can still find him means he's not in super popular demand :(.

Dope_Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DeBoe4sho
Nakat is doing a great job representing Fox. I feel Fox is a real force to be reckoned with and we will see more n more of him around >.< Keep Killin' 'Em

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
You've got to be kidding. I have the fox amiibo. Every little detail is there. He is amazing compared to the more simple looking characters.

How does the fox amiibo being amazingly well done and detailed become an argument to disprove the fox amiibo having **** sales, which it does have, because nintendo only released a small amount of them because apparently nintendo dont like making money.

Give it some time, Nakat's fox looking strong
Zero CAN play a decent fox
DEHF has a really good fox
Megafox is probably gonna rise up soon.
Probs some others nobody has noticed yet (I'm sure there's some sick vids of yui somewhere)
Thats already more top level players for a main then some characters have ever gotten.

Be careful what you wish for, if fox becomes super popular then it'll be lame to play him because he's over used, its much more fun to play an underused niche character who is a bit rare to see. Not only that, the more fox players there are in the limelight, the more people will learn the match up against us which is not fun :<

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Who was trying to disprove of it having bad sales? I was just surprised considering how well done it was. I didn't deny the fact or try to claim it sold well.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
when you quote the term "underwhelming amiibo sales" and respond to it with "You've got to be kidding" basically anyone on earth would assume that you disagreed with what he said and then you provided some reasoning to it. what a disaster :)

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
when you quote the term "underwhelming amiibo sales" and respond to it with "You've got to be kidding" basically anyone on earth would assume that you disagreed with what he said and then you provided some reasoning to it. what a disaster :)
Wow really like I haven't heard that one before. Obviously you're the only one who didn't understand what I was saying. Don't try starting an argument with me over something so stupid.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
what a disaster :)
I guess you could say that's why they call him... the Disaster Master.

But let's all take a moment to chill. We still can all bond over the fact we play a lovely game and happen to frequent an awesome character at that. When you get to thinking about the complexity of the world you can appreciate both how insignificant yet universally rare that we all have come to the same boards at the same moment in time. Let your shared language and thoughts both humble you and challenge you to become what you see in your heart...

And what do I see in my heart: A young fox, bursting with flames anew... equipping advanced technologies that aim to elucidate the mechanisms of his enemies defeat.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
How does the fox amiibo being amazingly well done and detailed become an argument to disprove the fox amiibo having **** sales, which it does have, because nintendo only released a small amount of them because apparently nintendo dont like making money.

Give it some time, Nakat's fox looking strong
Zero CAN play a decent fox
DEHF has a really good fox
Megafox is probably gonna rise up soon.
Probs some others nobody has noticed yet (I'm sure there's some sick vids of yui somewhere)
Thats already more top level players for a main then some characters have ever gotten.

Be careful what you wish for, if fox becomes super popular then it'll be lame to play him because he's over used, its much more fun to play an underused niche character who is a bit rare to see. Not only that, the more fox players there are in the limelight, the more people will learn the match up against us which is not fun :<
That is true. A part of my mind want Fox to be not popular so he won't be considered lame and be susceptible to 'balancing'. But I do want to see a good Fox. DEHF did really well, from what I've watched on APEX stream today just now.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Let your shared language and thoughts both humble you and challenge you to become what you see in your heart...
All I see is black stuff.

Anyways, if anyone has some free time I could use some fox critic. I already feel like I'm in the rut of unimprovement.

Top Bottom