• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miss Gigabits? Otronicon 2010 - 1/16-17th + Updates

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
So...does that mean we only get two days of smash instead of four? :-(

What will happen to the Friday/Monday timeslots? Even if you start at noon, double elimination with SBR rules (2-3 matches per set) in both singles and doubles pretty much impossible to cram into a single day, especially since you'll probably have 100+ entries for Brawl (fewer for Melee). Maybe it would be best to keep them split up in different days.

Also, can we please not completely ban items? I'd still go anyway, but I was looking forward to some chaos. I know they came up with a set of neutral items for tournament play...can we use that and set frequency to "low"? Maybe even have it as a separate event on one of the days you no longer plan to use?

Looking forward to next week.

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
Friday and Monday will most likely be run by Robbie (Leprosy). I'll update you about his thing soon.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Hey cecil, I emailed about volunteering and was getting a similar response from jim. He said it was gonna be both melee and brawl runned on saturday. Just needing clarification for sure. But id be willing to help u out in running the event. I'm planning on coming Friday soo if u would like me to run that tourney then it would be helpful as i ve ran brawl tournies before

- 8-bit or ed

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Oh, wow. We get two sets of tournaments then? Sat&Sun for serious SBR and Fri&Mon for the rules on the other thread? Win!

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I can also see your point of view. Melee was fun at past Otronicon events, but it has been a couple years. I think most people are going to want to see Brawl, the same way that everybody is going to be looking for Tekken 6 instead of Tekken 4, Madden 2010 instead of 2009, etc. It is also worth considering that it may not be possible to have double-elimination singles and doubles in one day. The turnout for these tournaments are huge.

There's just one thing you have to understand here - Otronicon is not an MLG-type setting. There's a very heavy emphasis on bringing casual players, students, friends, families, etc. Gamers of every skill level will be in attendance, but "competitive Brawl/Melee" players are going to represent an extremely small portion of the actual turnout. There are lots of SBR style tournaments that hardcore players can go to year-round, but for most of the people at Otronicon, this will be their only tournament experience, and they aren't going to care about rankings or whatever. They're gonna show up looking for fun, and the less predictable and more crazy the matches are, the better. People like that.

I made finals at the first Otronicon. Rules were terrible (2 minutes, all items, no character changes, single elim), but it was still interesting. I got to play some great Fox players, a Peach player, etc. There were no scrubs in the top 12; the strong players still ended up at the big screen. Matches were action packed, and the crowd loved creative item use like extending the life of a red shell with the cape (some people waited for me after the match to specifically talk about this). Everyone was real into it. Except the final - I ended up against some Falcon player on Temple. Basically, he got the first kill, then just ran away the rest of the time. Some people actually started booing. You can say it was because of the stage or weird rules, but ultimately, the player decided he wanted to win instead of fight, which isn't what the crowd wanted. Subsequent years had similar properties - the crowd always wants to see something unexpected - last minute comebacks, character upsets, etc.

To me, it's more important to get the crowd riled up and create an electric atmosphere than it is to win. It's a good idea to get all the casual-mid range players excited, because they become the hardcore players later on, and the more you can get people talking about the tournament, the more the community will grow.
and the hole gets deeper and deeper

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
I was the LEGEND of last Otronicon!!! :):):):)

1st in both Brawl events and 2nd in both Melee events!!!!

This time there will actually be people there who are better than me though :(.
haha i so remembered that
that was the first time i saw you play

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
do you guys have a place set up and everything?
I mean, if were to walk in and ask around for a gaming tounament, would I be able to find it pretty easily?

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
Time for the final update!

I'm editing the original post for this thread to make it easier on you guys as well. My group (Robbie, Katie and I) stopped by yesterday to get a good look at the place and finalize the events as per your requests, and I think you'll like the schedule we came up with as well as the incentives for those who wish to volunteer. Here are the things we figured out:

Friday - 6pm-midnight Brawl 2v2 (Cinnedome)
Saturday - 4pm-midnight Brawl 1v1 (4th floor)
Sunday - 3pm-10pm Melee 1v1 (Cinnedome)
Monday - all day Casual Melee 2v2 (no entry fee)

The rules for all formats will follow the SBR Rules, NOT MLG.
Last year they had some loss of controllers, so please don't bring your controller. They will have an array of classic or wii controllers for you to pick from. I tried to tell them otherwise but the whole controller theft thing was a legit enough reason from them to back up. When you arrive, we will have you register and have your handle (NOT your full name for once) entered in to the gigabits-style bracket system. Meaning we WILL be using seeding points just so that the experienced players don't get shafted in r1.

Volunteers
Here is what I got emailed to me

I spoke with Jim and Brandan some more, particularly about the BYOWii's idea. If you think we can produce at least eight Wiis to make the comp go more smoothly, then we'll allow your people to bring in their own systems.
About that:
1) The Wiis must be marked or tagged in some way, or have their serial numbers submitted to us before they can be brought on property.
2) The wiis will only be used for the Smash Bros CineDome competitions and will not leave the CineDome otherwise. and
3) The Wiis will need to be here before Thursday.

Each person who loans us a Wii for the event will be compensated with fifteen (15) comp passes, that are each good for for free admission to the science center (including Otronicon.) Each pass is a $17.00 value, so that... adds up. :-)
With that said, those who messaged me AND contacted Jim Lee about volunteering will have first dibs on getting a volunteer position. Please get in touch with him and let me know if you heard back from him. Like I said, if you can't put in 8 hours of volunteering before the tournament, just come up to me on the day of and let me know. I'll find something for you to do, it's cool.

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I made sure that they supplied classic and wii controllers for you guys. Multiple ones at that, just in case one of them craps out.

Also, remember that the volunteer thing is first come, first serve. Get in contact with Jim Lee ASAP and you will reap the benefits! Just know that on the day of the events, they don't want you carrying a backpack around for security reasons. So your Wii + Game will be stored there in safekeeping until the event is over. I'm sure you'll get all the details as soon as you get in contact with him.

I didn't like two things about last year's event. One was the format (single elim, and all of them at one day) and the prizes. I fixed the format issue, as for prizes that is up to OSC to do. I just spoke with NLL about chipping in for prizes and they are okay on it! So in addition to the gift cards and other goodies that the top 2 will win, you will also get some NLL gift cards, free entry to the first tourney, and some shirts. I'll still look for whatever other means of upping the ante that I can. Papa Cecil loves you all <3

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
prety good stuff, how much will this cost to the entrant? ill probably enter melee singles.....

we still have to buy the actual science center ticket?

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
prety good stuff, how much will this cost to the entrant? ill probably enter melee singles.....

we still have to buy the actual science center ticket?

It'll be $5 entry fee for the tournament and then $16 entry to the con, which covers a lot of cool stuff you'll get to be a part of.

Also guys, be sure to check the Brawl 1v1 tournament thread about Next Level LAN. I expect you all to be there! It shall be epic.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
The most boring possible rules...I'm very disappointed. That said, no use complaining about it. I'll definitely be ready to wipe out the seeded players early. Just think of it as revenge for all the casuals who are getting set up to lose in the brackets. Being the wildcard is such fun!

Good incentive for bringing a Wii, though. I'll probably do that and save my friends the entry fee. ^ ^

skrach8

Smash Lord
sleek media play with items i think........ oh brawl

shot number 2

ryan ill four stock you son cuz thats how i do... ask UUAA lolz.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Well...I don't expect to go TOO far in Melee, considering I haven't played it since Brawl came out. Still, I was a finalist/semi-finalist in Melee at past Otronicons...I should be able to take at least a few of you out. Who wants to get sent to the losers bracket by an unranked player? >:-)

Brawl, though...well, be grateful to Cecil for the Melee event. You have a chance in that one!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm betting you're gonna get wrecked in brawl too. Casual smashers usually don't do very well in tournaments. Yah you might have done well in past Otronicons but I remember how dumb those rulesets used to be, which I'm sure helped you tremendously. It was set on time, 2 minutes, instead of stock and all items were on hahaha.

It never ends well for the casual smasher who talks **** on smashboards. I seriously doubt you're any different.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Heh, are you implying that the people who beat me in those tournaments also sucked? True, the rules were bad even by my standards, but I still had more fun there than I have at any tournament since, and I can tell you first-hand that there weren't any scrubs magically making it to finals because items were on.

I walk the fine line between casual and hardcore. Too much skill to be casual, and not enough punk to be hardcore. This will be your first encounter with a manly gamer!

The one thing I like about the regular boring rules is that I can mess around with my characters a bit. Old crazy Otronicon had you pick with a character and stick to it. This way, it'll be easier to deal with top tier spam at the end of the tournament.

Question for Cecil:
We gonna record any of this? Win or lose, it'd be fun to see replays.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I walk the fine line between casual and hardcore. Too much skill to be casual, and not enough punk to be hardcore. This will be your first encounter with a manly gamer!

The one thing I like about the regular boring rules is that I can mess around with my characters a bit. Old crazy Otronicon had you pick with a character and stick to it. This way, it'll be easier to deal with top tier spam at the end of the tournament.
Good luck making it to the end of the tourney bud :laugh:.

And na, there have been manly gamers in FL for long since some dude named Sleek Media claimed he was one...

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Sleek Media... you don't want to MM by chance?

$20 either game :023::047::057:
Ah, someone who's really confident. I'll give you a MM. Five rounds with five stock each, choice items on. If that's not too scary for you, we can talk. Otherwise, you'll just have to do your best to keep up at the tournament.

Looks like I hit a nerve with the casual haters. Very good - bring that passion to the game! Of course, even if one of you does manage to beat me, there will be other manly brawlers to pick up the slack. I expect that everyone will find more than enough challenge. Regardless, this banter is pointless. Let's just wait and see what happens next week.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Ah, someone who's really confident. I'll give you a MM. Five rounds with five stock each, choice items on. If that's not too scary for you, we can talk. Otherwise, you'll just have to do your best to keep up at the tournament.

Looks like I hit a nerve with the casual haters. Very good - bring that passion to the game! Of course, even if one of you does manage to beat me, there will be other manly brawlers to pick up the slack. I expect that everyone will find more than enough challenge. Regardless, this banter is pointless. Let's just wait and see what happens next week.
LOLOLOLOL You come to a competitive tournament, then you play with competitive rules.

3 stocks, best of 3, or best of 5. We dont do that Item **** around here :laugh:.

With Neutral and CP stages. Try your best to keep up with legit rules lol.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
LOLOLOLOL You come to a competitive tournament, then you play with competitive rules.

3 stocks, best of 3, or best of 5. We dont do that Item **** around here :laugh:.

With Neutral and CP stages. Try your best to keep up with legit rules lol.
-dead- @ five rounds 5 stock each items on LMFAO.
Guys, guys. If you don't like the rules, don't worry about the money. I can beat you for free!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You're not going to beat anyone for free because nobody is going to play items with you lol.

Casual smashers who like to talk **** are funny. They know they aren't good enough to win with a competitive rule set yet they still like to talk ****.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
You're not going to beat anyone for free because nobody is going to play items with you lol.

Casual smashers who like to talk **** are funny. They know they aren't good enough to win with a competitive rule set yet they still like to talk ****.
Who said anything about needing items to beat you? :chuckle:

Frames

DI
ok lol wtf is up with this random trash talk

otronicons bull**** rules have always screwed better players, the last time all of us went...well here were the results

!!!!!!!!!!!RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!

Bamn won.

Colin, QDVS, Otru, Me, PureKorea, Doc, Frames, Sick, and others didn't do quite so good.

At least Otru got 4th.

Doc got like 5th.

Me and QDVS got like 24th.

Colin got like 48th.

Pk and Frames got last.

The tournament was out of a whopping 96 people!!!!!

Winner (Bamn) got a $100 Best Buy gift card.

Second (ZorakBane) got a $50 Best Buy Gift card.
crappy rules aren't competitive at all and smashers who succeed in casual format tournaments usually don't perform as well in competitive settings

colbol for instance, who should've won that tournament, got 48th?? i mean that's crazy lol

-Spike-

Smash Ace
Im possibly going to be attending Otronicon. Is any1 still without a partner(brawl) ? If so let me know. Im not 100% confirmed to this even yet, but I just wanna to know who all is going and who still needs a partner.

Top Bottom