• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mirror Matches... Bleh.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Whatever the character is, I outright suck at these. I suppose I'm used to having some sort of character disadvantage/advantage system within a match, but during a mirror, I would guess that it comes down to pure skill. But is there some sort of facet to a mirror match that I'm missing?

I mean, I lose to people who I would otherwise 2 or 3 stock. It's not good.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Just remember that whatever your weaknesses are will be their weaknesses. Exploit it and tear it apart.
Paying attention to how they play is very crucial at this point as well, so before you leap in, test the waters to see how what your opponent's style will be.

Nicole

Smash Champion
i have alot of problems with dittos too...it seems like all of my character's advantages vanish somehow. my advice would be to play dittos as often as you can, it helps, and you can better know what to expect.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
it does not come to pure skill. It's just spacing, and style ie. defensive/offensive, and also character-dependant thingies. Like I usually lose Sheik dittos because it's basically just ftilting the opponent into oblivion, instead of using bair walls, etc. However, I usually win MK dittos because it is usually just all about spacing.

^^^ROFL at G&W dittos... who can turtle moar?? xD ^^^

Smash Master
How is spacing important in a ditto? When you move the appropriate distance away, you're helping your opponent just as much.

I'd say ignore spacing. Pick up on your opponent's tenencies. As long as you have a counter for every option your opponent has, you will win.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I used to suck .. amazingly at dittos.
I found that if you watch what your opponent does wrong keep on striking at it and you will get a K.O.
I don't think dittos require that much skill but rely more on intellect.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
You can be very good at other match-ups, and suck at dittos. Like someone above me said, just watch for you nown weaknesses, and don't put yourslf into the position to get punished.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I used to have this problem too strangely. IDK though because it only affected me when I played basic brawl on Wi-Fi. O_o Maybe it was the sight of seeing bad players which made me play differently? I dunno because that was a long time ago.

Maybe you have to play your character to their full potential while exploiting your character's natural weaknesses. Probably a better answer would be to fight in a position where your character normally doesn't excel against your opponent. Like Ike for example, his game normally revolves around out spacing your opponent with long range moves. Well, why don't you try and get up close and use Ike's quicker moves against your opponent once you get past their ranged moves? It MAY work, but I'm not too sure. This seems perplexing to think about even by my standards...

Wait until you see ROB dittos...uggghhh...

Scott!

Smash Lord
Marth dittos have the potential to be hilarious and epic. The better you space, the more perfectly you are placed for the opponent. Retreating fairs back and forth do get silly. But a whiffed Fsmash when you're just out of range can be punished with a tipper Fsmash.

But when it comes to dittos in general, I always have issues. I have trouble guarding against the weaknesses of a character while at the same time exploiting them, which is what dittos are about. You have to think about your character in two very different ways at the same time. And this is hard for me.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
it does not come to pure skill. It's just spacing, and style ie. defensive/offensive, and also character-dependant thingies. Like I usually lose Sheik dittos because it's basically just ftilting the opponent into oblivion, instead of using bair walls, etc. However, I usually win MK dittos because it is usually just all about spacing.

i was going to type something like this

so

this

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
How is spacing important in a ditto? When you move the appropriate distance away, you're helping your opponent just as much.

I'd say ignore spacing. Pick up on your opponent's tenencies. As long as you have a counter for every option your opponent has, you will win.

This could be my problem. I abuse Ike's fair to hell and back for spacing; I suppose I was just helping my opponent as well.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Well if you're using Ike in dittos, remember they have the same weaknesses as you. Since a lot of his moves are quite slow, punish that. Those kind of matches really kind of test your knowledge on your own character's weaknesses...they're fun.

So basically, punish stuff that you usually get punished for.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I love ZSS dittos.
Rule 1 of ZSS dittos, somebody is always stunned.
Argh! I hate ZSS dittos... I supposed to be able to outrange my opponent ****it. Her spacing game is completely destroyed, and its all about close combat

Side-B is practically useless, it's slow, and you both have the exact same range. Her up-smash shuts down any of her approaches from above. Her jab combo is also useless because it can be interrupted by her own jab... so eventually you are clanking jabs until you go too far apart.

I don't think I have any problems with any other mirror match except ZSS though

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
it does not matter what the CHARACTERS weaknesses are you are BOTH going for those weknesses

In a ditto, u really need to look for the PLAYERS weakness.

Everyone has a certain style they play, u need to analys the METHOD ur opponent is using and exploit that.

understnading someones strategy and using ur character to adapt to that id far more important than exploiting the characters wekness - which u still have to do; EVERY match is like that ditto or not - it comes down to the metagame more than anything IMO

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I'll admit it, the only good dittos are metaknight dittos. All other dittos are horrible and you don't play the character like you would in any other match-up. Wolf dittos suck, B-airs don't work well because of other b-airs, so it's shine time all the time.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I'm used to having some sort of character disadvantage/advantage system within a match, but during a mirror, I would guess that it comes down to pure skill.
Not really. I've always had a different outlook on dittos.

Like almost every other match up, certain flaws and advantages are either dulled or accentuated. In dittos, it's the same procedure, but you take advantage of your own characters disadvantages. Whoever can identify the character's flaws first and realize how to deal with them will more then likely win. It doesn't exactly prove who has more skill then the other player, it just shows either who knows their character's weaknesses better, or who can better seek out flaws in a match-up.

Sometimes it really never even comes down to that. Luck and reflexes decide many matches on their own.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Actually, No-Pikmin-Olimar dittos are the best.

C.Falcon is a close second.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have had a lot of Samus dittos since the release of Brawl. At least more than twenty total. In fact, I brawled with a fellow yesterday who calls himself "Ditto," and he mains whoever you main. The way he used Samus was as if he mained Samus. It ended up 2-1, me winning. I had to win, because as a Samus main, I wasn't going to let someone who doesn't even main Samus beat me. In the end, ditto matches do not determine who is more skilled. It only helps you learn new things about the character you main or use as an alternative.

C.Falcon dittos are the best.
I couldn't agree with you more!

Actually, No-Pikmin-Olimar dittos are the best.

C.Falcon is a close second.
I saw a poll somewhere at All is Brawl about which character was most fun to use in dittos. Captain Falcon was ranked the most out of the other characters.

Link dittoes are epic, and probably the most fun dittoes ever.

Sonci dittoes are the worst.. <_< Watch one, seriously, it's ********.

Uffe

Smash Hero
They can be down right boring, but they also teach you stuff. At least they should. The sad thing is that they don't prove anything. If that were the case, I'd be able to beat people ViceGrip could beat. But I can't.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Are you kidding? Dittoes are so fun, especially IC dittoes.

Alzi

Smash Master
I have to admit I'm terrible at falco dittos.

Falco dittos are very lame anyway.
Lol lassers all the way and reflectors.

I guess you just have to play a wierd playstyle so your opponent won't suspect the same thing from that certain character.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
IC dittos for the win.
Makes you realize how garbage they are without their grab game. Well guys like Lain will make them look amazing even without it but he is Lain..

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
IC dittos for the win.
Makes you realize how garbage they are without their grab game. Well guys like Lain will make them look amazing even without it but he is Lain..
Yeah, but keep in mind. Lain would lose in lain dittoes any day.

Top Bottom