• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I've been thinking about this Palutena's height lately and this comes to question. If she was tall on Smash 4, but shorter than Rosalina while alittle shorter on Kid icarus uprising, then why was Palutena tall on smash 4? I know that she's a godenss, but I'm asking this because I like to know about her actual height since some people say that she's shorter on Uprising than Smash 4.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about this Palutena's height lately and this comes to question. If she was tall on Smash 4, but shorter than Rosalina while alittle shorter on Kid icarus uprising, then why was Palutena tall on smash 4? I know that she's a godenss, but I'm asking this because I like to know about her actual height since some people say that she's shorter on Uprising than Smash 4.
She's a goddess, she's as big as she feels like being

Attachments

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
How many of you utilize walking in your play. I for one love it. Walking really makes me slow down and consider what I am doing and I seem to play better when I walk. Walking also lets you use all your moves out of it unlike dash. She also has her cool slide walk which is nice to use for spacing. Plus "Swag walking," as it has been called, is amazing and so much fun to just do after you KO someone. The movement you get from it is amazing and I think Palutena players should learn how to use it or just walking in general. She has the 11th fastest walk speed (at least she's top 15 in something :troll:) and doing a dash limits your moves (jab, 3 tilts, 2 smashes).

Does anyone know Palutena's frame data on shield and what is and isn't safe? I'm looking for it and can't seem to find it anywhere.

Last edited:

4chanJoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
4chinJoe
I've made it a point recently to practice my swag walking recently. I used to not do it too much, only after KOs when I was starting out, but now if I feel like going for style points I'll use it. I will say it's definitely a crowd pleaser, last week when I was playing friendlies in the game lab at my school I managed to get a grab>uair kill off of a swag walk set up in a match and everyone in line for rotation (7 other people) either started laughing hysterically or popped off. I got sooooo many questions after that match lol.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
I know pivot grabs have a larger grab range than standard dash grabs, but do standing grabs also have a larger grab range than dash grabs? That would be a big positive for swag walking.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Managed to get 9th on my regions Power Ranking ^.^

Baby steps >.<
Palutena on a PR list, woo!
I love seeing uncommon characters on the PR list. Usually goes to show that the person enjoys who they play and aren't just going for top-tiers.

Last edited:

4chanJoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
4chinJoe

Baby steps >.<
Good stuff man! Awesome to see the goddess getting love on power rankings. Hopefully I can get back on my scenes circuit so I can get ranked again (when school and work isn't kicking me up and down the street lol).

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Oh! I think I've heard of you from Wrath (A pretty good sonic player) assuming your the same person lol. I'd love to talk about the Palu/Sonic Matchup =p
Oh yeah. I've known Wrath for a while. Palutena vs. Sonic is impossible online. Even the button delay matters with reacting to him. Well ok. Not all Sonics. But Wrath's sonic is special. He pretty much just spin dashes the majority of the match. It makes it pretty hard to land. Gotta say Sonic can make people play like idiots when they play well against other characters.

we should play sometime.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor

Baby steps >.<
Nooooice!!! :3 It's always a big achievement, isn't it?

I'm actually currently 3rd on my Regions PR.

With Shaya currently inactive, I'm supposedly looking to be 1st on our upcoming one. (Admittedly I've half-jumped ship to Sonic, pls have mercy!)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

With Shaya currently inactive, I'm supposedly looking to be 1st on our upcoming one. (Admittedly I've half-jumped ship to Sonic, pls have mercy!)
Kinda silly of me to ask, but any chance you know what happened to Shaya?

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Kinda silly of me to ask, but any chance you know what happened to Shaya?
To put it simply, most of this year he hasn't attended many events mainly due to personal reasons/health. It's been getting worse over time, so I feel like he's just decided to take a reasonable break from everything Smash including Smashboards responsibilities. Which given his long running role in the collective community, is quite understandable. :/

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Nice. I've gotta lift my game, but I'm only just now getting back into Smash since DIAD because responsibilities are destroying me (so haven't got in much practise with Palutena yet... sadly). Fresh start should be good. Maybe I'll get to BAM if I get a chance, I'm hearing great words of praise for last year's event.

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Well I guess there's no excuse for not being on the PR now, time to step my game up.

So what's the general opinion of the Palutena mains/secondaries on allowing Palutena 1 custom set kind of like the miis? I mean the logistics work out since all customs come pre-unlocked. I ask because, although most probably will, I shouldn't assume that everyone would say yes. Before you start asking your TOs to start doing that we would have to come up with a single set first to get everyone on the same page, so if you're for it you should hold off on asking TOs. Don't wanna cause too much confusion now do we.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I got this scene in my head today and I wanted to have a record of it in case I ever had time to flesh it out.. it's really rough and I only spent 5 min on it forgive me lol

"What's happening?" Well, I always thought that if Palutena *wasn't holding back*, auto-reticle would actually be a lot more devastating, and she could probably use it a lot more quickly and could probably fire a ton of rapid energy bullets out. She's locking onto Fox and he's dodging the ensuing bullet hell. There's a little more to it than this, but I'm tired haha

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Well I guess there's no excuse for not being on the PR now, time to step my game up.

So what's the general opinion of the Palutena mains/secondaries on allowing Palutena 1 custom set kind of like the miis? I mean the logistics work out since all customs come pre-unlocked. I ask because, although most probably will, I shouldn't assume that everyone would say yes. Before you start asking your TOs to start doing that we would have to come up with a single set first to get everyone on the same page, so if you're for it you should hold off on asking TOs. Don't wanna cause too much confusion now do we.
I'm fine with it but that's because I'd actually get use out of it... I'm one of my area's TOs and I think for some reason we've allowed Miis to use whatever they want but not Palutena. I should check why that is...

In terms of coming up with a single set, I don't think that's necessarily easy to do. Everyone has their own preferences, so aside from Lightweight I think it's going to be pretty diverse. If people are going to bring it up with TOs, the struggle is convincing that your character should be allowed Customs that make your character significantly better, when characters don't have the privilege. They might even just put the question out to the local scene to see what the thoughts are.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
I'm fine with it but that's because I'd actually get use out of it... I'm one of my area's TOs and I think for some reason we've allowed Miis to use whatever they want but not Palutena. I should check why that is...

In terms of coming up with a single set, I don't think that's necessarily easy to do. Everyone has their own preferences, so aside from Lightweight I think it's going to be pretty diverse. If people are going to bring it up with TOs, the struggle is convincing that your character should be allowed Customs that make your character significantly better, when characters don't have the privilege. They might even just put the question out to the local scene to see what the thoughts are.
Well, I've been making an argument for allowing custom Palutena for awhile now. If you were to look at her trophy it says "she has special moves like Warp and Heavenly Light at her disposal. She's very adaptable—you can customize her into a long- or close-range fighter!" So clearly she was meant with customization in mind, but since people would be more unwilling with full customization I figure a single set would be the best option. I've also reviewed the frame data on her other moves and said it makes since for her to be designed around lightweight, because I think a character faster than sonic and best aerial mobility in the game with any faster frame data wouldn't be so fair. Now for people that are worried about dying at 40% off grab, why do alllow ZSS and DK then, but honestly you can just DI to end up behind Palutena in nair so that uair doesn't connect. People shouldn't be so quick to call something broken without finding a counter to it first. That paper says it's only asking for lightweight but after asking other people their thoughts, not Palutena mains, they thought lightweight would not be enough to make her a viable character, so 1 unified set is the way to go.

As for a single set, I've tried asking here, but it's going slow. Probably because of the holidays. I have asked AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster what he finds the best set to be and he thinks it's 2322: Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Jump Glide, and Lightweight. I agree with that because EF covers the ledge very well and can kill, SS can set up for kills and recover, JG is good for mobility and recovery, and I don't think Lightweight needs any more explanation.

I'm also going through Palutena matches and counting the use of special moves of both characters in the match and comparing them. I'm doing this for default and custom matches. As expected Palutena has very little use of her specials in default compared to her opponent and it seems the better characters use their specials a lot more. I haven't gotten around to viewing custom matches yet, but when I do I expect an increased use of her specials and it should help to influence what set we should use. Although it's kind of hard to find custom matches other than Aerolink, but he wins with the set he is running.

One person told me, "But customs will change her intended play style," and all I have to do is look back to the trophy description: "She's very adaptable—you can customize her." Her intended play style is customs. For the "Why can't my character have a unified set of customs as well?" No other character was intentionally designed around custom moves. No other character has completely unique customs. Zelda and Sheik still have warping up Bs, but Palutena doesn't. Fox and Falco still have a reflector, but Palutena doesn't. Everyone with a counter still has a counter, but Palutena doesn't. "Oh but Palutena will be broken." Well you've probably already picked up Sheik so what difference does it make if you want to change your character again, or how about you learn to counter something before calling it broken. Denti was able to beat Aerolink's custom Palutena with what I'm pretty sure was default diddy. He might have had a custom banana or rockets but I don't remember (should probably go watch those sets again). Do you remember seeing a custom Palutena in top 8 of EVO, because I don't. Besides this is one set, so it's not like a Palutena player could be like, "Your gonna go that character. Well I'm gonna use these customs." It's just one easy to learn set that would make a character more viable. Now if you just don't want more character viability that's messed up and you're a terrible member of this community.

Once I get a better feel on what the Palutena players think her single set should be, I'm probably going to go to the rule set discussion and convince everyone there.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Well, I've been making an argument for allowing custom Palutena for awhile now. If you were to look at her trophy it says "she has special moves like Warp and Heavenly Light at her disposal. She's very adaptable—you can customize her into a long- or close-range fighter!" So clearly she was meant with customization in mind, but since people would be more unwilling with full customization I figure a single set would be the best option. I've also reviewed the frame data on her other moves and said it makes since for her to be designed around lightweight, because I think a character faster than sonic and best aerial mobility in the game with any faster frame data wouldn't be so fair. Now for people that are worried about dying at 40% off grab, why do alllow ZSS and DK then, but honestly you can just DI to end up behind Palutena in nair so that uair doesn't connect. People shouldn't be so quick to call something broken without finding a counter to it first. That paper says it's only asking for lightweight but after asking other people their thoughts, not Palutena mains, they thought lightweight would not be enough to make her a viable character, so 1 unified set is the way to go.

As for a single set, I've tried asking here, but it's going slow. Probably because of the holidays. I have asked AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster what he finds the best set to be and he thinks it's 2322: Explosive Flame, Super Speed, Jump Glide, and Lightweight. I agree with that because EF covers the ledge very well and can kill, SS can set up for kills and recover, JG is good for mobility and recovery, and I don't think Lightweight needs any more explanation.

I'm also going through Palutena matches and counting the use of special moves of both characters in the match and comparing them. I'm doing this for default and custom matches. As expected Palutena has very little use of her specials in default compared to her opponent and it seems the better characters use their specials a lot more. I haven't gotten around to viewing custom matches yet, but when I do I expect an increased use of her specials and it should help to influence what set we should use. Although it's kind of hard to find custom matches other than Aerolink, but he wins with the set he is running.

One person told me, "But customs will change her intended play style," and all I have to do is look back to the trophy description: "She's very adaptable—you can customize her." Her intended play style is customs. For the "Why can't my character have a unified set of customs as well?" No other character was intentionally designed around custom moves. No other character has completely unique customs. Zelda and Sheik still have warping up Bs, but Palutena doesn't. Fox and Falco still have a reflector, but Palutena doesn't. Everyone with a counter still has a counter, but Palutena doesn't. "Oh but Palutena will be broken." Well you've probably already picked up Sheik so what difference does it make if you want to change your character again, or how about you learn to counter something before calling it broken. Denti was able to beat Aerolink's custom Palutena with what I'm pretty sure was default diddy. He might have had a custom banana or rockets but I don't remember (should probably go watch those sets again). Do you remember seeing a custom Palutena in top 8 of EVO, because I don't. Besides this is one set, so it's not like a Palutena player could be like, "Your gonna go that character. Well I'm gonna use these customs." It's just one easy to learn set that would make a character more viable. Now if you just don't want more character viability that's messed up and you're a terrible member of this community.

Once I get a better feel on what the Palutena players think her single set should be, I'm probably going to go to the rule set discussion and convince everyone there.
Yoo would it be okay if I copy this in this thread for reference? This was very well-thought out!

I agree that it definitely seems like her central design involves customization, and I'd be interested in seeing her allowed in weeklies to see how well she does. I think I'd start to miss her default set after a while, though. I'm so used to it.

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Yoo would it be okay if I copy this in this thread for reference? This was very well-thought out!

I agree that it definitely seems like her central design involves customization, and I'd be interested in seeing her allowed in weeklies to see how well she does. I think I'd start to miss her default set after a while, though. I'm so used to it.
Spread the word. No point in not telling people what we want to happen. If we don't say anything how will anyone know the reasons behind what we want? This is a very strong grassroots community and if we can get enough locals to start it we could possibly have it considered for a national, which would make my day knowing this was a success. No need to just post it there, post it everywhere you can, but maybe after we decide on the set we want. I'm still voting for 2322 as the best set. Give credit where credit is due though.

Sure you'd miss default Palutena some, but NO ONE is going to miss counter. I actually said I was going to wait for the next patch to see what it does to Palutena, but the other day I decided to go to training mode and play custom Palutena. I had more fun in the training room with custom Palutena than almost any match I've fought with her in default. It'll be sad to see some of the tricks default has to offer go away, but have you done super speed, jump, reverse explosive flame. IT'S AMAZING, and then you can shift momentum or not. I feel like a kid in a candy shop when I get to play custom Palutena, plus it just feels right. When you switch to custom Palutena you just know this is how it should be.

I'm sure you've played custom Palutena so I'm sure you've made the adjustment between sets at least once maybe twice. The switch to customs is more fun than the switch to default.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Spread the word. No point in not telling people what we want to happen. If we don't say anything how will anyone know the reasons behind what we want? This is a very strong grassroots community and if we can get enough locals to start it we could possibly have it considered for a national, which would make my day knowing this was a success. No need to just post it there, post it everywhere you can, but maybe after we decide on the set we want. I'm still voting for 2322 as the best set. Give credit where credit is due though.

Sure you'd miss default Palutena some, but NO ONE is going to miss counter. I actually said I was going to wait for the next patch to see what it does to Palutena, but the other day I decided to go to training mode and play custom Palutena. I had more fun in the training room with custom Palutena than almost any match I've fought with her in default. It'll be sad to see some of the tricks default has to offer go away, but have you done super speed, jump, reverse explosive flame. IT'S AMAZING, and then you can shift momentum or not. I feel like a kid in a candy shop when I get to play custom Palutena, plus it just feels right. When you switch to custom Palutena you just know this is how it should be.

I'm sure you've played custom Palutena so I'm sure you've made the adjustment between sets at least once maybe twice. The switch to customs is more fun than the switch to default.
I love playing custom palutena; I SD more often because of her plethora of movement options, but it feels so free and fun.

I agree that this can be a strong grassroots campaign, but I don't think we should consider going forward with it yet. That's what that other topic was for - I feel like Palutenas should collaborate more and know exactly what we want, and then present it to the larger community together.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
I love playing custom palutena; I SD more often because of her plethora of movement options, but it feels so free and fun.

I agree that this can be a strong grassroots campaign, but I don't think we should consider going forward with it yet. That's what that other topic was for - I feel like Palutenas should collaborate more and know exactly what we want, and then present it to the larger community together.
And that's why this was made. Just waiting on responses.

I was doing a match analysis of D1's Palutena and it ended up going somewhere I want to make sure most of you guys see. I don't know how many of you that come to the social thread also check out the video thread, but I think more people will see it if I post a link here. I want to say sorry ahead of time for any offense, I have no regrets about what I said and I'm glad I said it, and please read everything.

http://smashboards.com/threads/i-see-all-palutena-video-thread.368608/page-11#post-20523895

Last edited by a moderator:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!

Hmmm... I honestly think the player should be able to play Palutena however he/she wants. 2322/1322 are my favorite sets for Palutena, but I'm sure there are other sets that are preferred by other players. If I had to pick one, I would vote for 2322, but I believe Palutena would lose the versatility intended by her design in some matchups/stages, like Reflect or Warp for example (even though I myself will usually stick to one set, but that's me personally as a player).

Hyperkin1995

Smash Cadet
NNID
hyperkineticwun
Can someone add me to the skype group? My Skype is Ian.Hicks.95

No thanks. If I see Palutena discord group being made, then I would love to be in the group.
There's a discord, and I believe there's a thread for it on smashboards :3
I just need help getting in the skype lolz

Last edited by a moderator:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
There's a discord, and I believe there's a thread for it on smashboards :3
I just need help getting in the skype lolz
Is that for Kirby or Palutena discord? If Kirby, then I already join that group, but if you saw the Palutena one, then show me the link and I'll get there.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... I honestly think the player should be able to play Palutena however he/she wants. 2322/1322 are my favorite sets for Palutena, but I'm sure there are other sets that are preferred by other players. If I had to pick one, I would vote for 2322, but I believe Palutena would lose the versatility intended by her design in some matchups/stages, like Reflect or Warp for example (even though I myself will usually stick to one set, but that's me personally as a player).
I was originally for 2322, but after talking with some other players and playing customs I realized I like default more. Except f*** counter and give me lightweight. I liked customs because honestly they felt easy and I had fun with them, but seemed very predictable after some time using them. I like the mind games that have to go into playing default Palutena much more than the kill confirms off customs (unless the person knows what to expect). Plus there is so much tech that would get ignored if customs were in play. Which is why I made a tech thread (sticky?). Just making it I realized the potential of the character and I think customs would make much of the tech almost useless or people would opt not to use them because they have slightly stronger (more predictable) options with customs. Of course a great player would utilize both, but her custom moves make you want to use them. Spacing is essential for Palutena and when the 2 other side b's are moves that travel the stage why worry about micro-spacing. I use swag walking for micro-spacing, but now that very useful tech will get looked over by super speed or angelic missile; a great player would learn to maximize use of both of course.

Smash 4 is more mind games and the options out of her special moves are limited compared to the options out of A-moves. Her customs make her slightly stronger, but more predictable. However, Palutenas, now, hardly use specials in matches compared to other characters using specials (I actually went through and counted Palutena special use compared to the opponent for a few matches), while in custom matches specials will get used a lot more meaning against a good player the Palutena player COULD be more predictable. Some of the customs are best used at a distance which means it all comes down to player reaction speed that can determine the moves effectiveness, and a good player will have a good reaction speed. A-moves are still the most used moves and her A-moves imply safety where most customs imply offense. The two sets do not complement each other, but that's the beauty of custom Palutena I guess.

My thought is why divide your resources and be decent when you can be great in one category that should work very well in this game. Of course like you said, personal preference to how you want to play Palutena. That's the beauty of the character after all. There's also the fact that custom Palutena will probably not get allowed at nationals, so might as well practice what I'm gonna play and learn to make use of all that tech. Now if only the Palu boards weren't so low on traffic and I could actually talk to others about tech application in here :sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
This is something I’ve been wondering for a long while now and I want to know what you all think. Kmpyj made a Palutena guide a few months ago (below). I watch a lot of Palutena videos and I look out for new ones (I’m not saying this to say I’m some amazing player by the way). Something I’ve never seen a Palutena player do is an auto-cancelled Dair to Smash attack. Why? I’ve listed the times where kmpyj does them. When I asked if they were true combos, he said yes.

-From 15:47 to 15:53, he demonstrates Palutena using auto-cancelled Dair to FSmash and auto-cancelled Dair to DSmash.

-At 16:32, he uses auto-cancelled Dair to USmash.

-At 16:01, he uses auto-cancelled Dair to UTilt to Uair.

I don’t do them because I only have the regular 3DS and it seems like it would be hard to do without a C-stick. Is there a reason why people don’t do them? My guess is that maybe it can be DI’d or maybe it’s risky going for an AC Dair. If kmpyj is wrong about those being true combos, I definitely don’t want to attack him or anything. I still like his videos.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
This is something I’ve been wondering for a long while now and I want to know what you all think. Kmpyj made a Palutena guide a few months ago (below). I watch a lot of Palutena videos and I look out for new ones (I’m not saying this to say I’m some amazing player by the way). Something I’ve never seen a Palutena player do is an auto-cancelled Dair to Smash attack. Why? I’ve listed the times where kmpyj does them. When I asked if they were true combos, he said yes.

-From 15:47 to 15:53, he demonstrates Palutena using auto-cancelled Dair to FSmash and auto-cancelled Dair to DSmash.

-At 16:32, he uses auto-cancelled Dair to USmash.

-At 16:01, he uses auto-cancelled Dair to UTilt to Uair.

I don’t do them because I only have the regular 3DS and it seems like it would be hard to do without a C-stick. Is there a reason why people don’t do them? My guess is that maybe it can be DI’d or maybe it’s risky going for an AC Dair. If kmpyj is wrong about those being true combos, I definitely don’t want to attack him or anything. I still like his videos.
Thanks! But yeah, tbh I find myself auto canceling more so on Wii U than I do 3DS. I have rumble turned on for my gamecube controller, so I can always tell whether or not I got the auto cancel. If it lands, I won't feel the rumble from the attack, but if it doesn't, I'll get the rumble, plus the landing lag.

But to be fair, I'm not sure many players know about it tbh. I myself found out about it this past summer. But the reason I started looking into it was because there would be times where a swore up and down that I acted out of a Dair or Bair earlier than normal.

Either it's that or it's the risk factor. I could see why players would opt not to use it. Bair, maybe, but Dair would be an odd ball to most for an approach option. I use to only use Fair, Bair, and Jab as approach options, but recently over my hiatus (I know I been slacking on vids lately) I started incorporating Dair in my approach options, and seen some pretty positive results.

But yeah, the Dair combos we're true ones. Even if DI ruined the Dair ~ FSmash or DSmash, you could always use an USmash after a quick dash. And thanks for the support!

Last edited:
Top Bottom