• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Welp I went lost 1-2 vs Scatt(MM) over the weekend. It was my first time playing Palutena in tournament vs him in a full set. It went so well that I have to do it again! I lost G3 on BF almost due to time out. It's kinda hard to approach MM safely, but I like being able to avoid and get around all his projectiles. Rosalina can barely put a dent when I play him and he knows her so well and recovering is a pain, but Palutena can just grab the ledge w/ one hand and avoid dtilts and everything, it's insane. Tips on this matchup though? I really want to win next time.

Lvl99Gamer

Smash Cadet
It's quite interesting to see that a lot of Palutena players are interested in picking up Bayonetta (myself included, and I haven't even touched the games). I guess it's the supernatural sassiness that draws us in...!
Actually this is the most depressing thread I've read all month.... So many Palutena mains just... giving up and dropping her... I don't even play Palutena and I'd like to fight for allowing just Mii's and Palutena with customs.
Though I suppose a year of neglect from Sakurai can really put a damper on people's motivation.

BrazenBee

Smash Rookie
Actually this is the most depressing thread I've read all month.... So many Palutena mains just... giving up and dropping her... I don't even play Palutena and I'd like to fight for allowing just Mii's and Palutena with customs.
Though I suppose a year of neglect from Sakurai can really put a damper on people's motivation.

At worst, if it makes some feel better, I'll never drop Palutena. She's just too damn fun. I'll probs end up co-maining her with Bayonetta.

I want her to get buffed, though. Or people could gradually legalise customs again. I'm hoping for both. One can dream...

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I main Palutena myself, and even though I do know she's not one of the better characters, that won't mean I will drop her.

She's very fun to play, even though I curse at times when I miss input an f-tilt. I find enough satisfaction with her by just doing f-airs and throws to u-air or n-air.

I haven't even explored her customs yet, though I've heard they are crazily good.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
I won't drop Palutena, but she may not be the main if no buffs come. I like my characters to be unique. Most characters have a unique trait but Peach's float and Palutena's basically everything stick out to me the most. Bayonetta stands out as being the only smash character with actual guns and seems pretty interesting.

I love Palutena's movement and no other character can do some of the stuff she does. Swag walking and ledge cancel warp is too much fun to give up. There's also the time I put into practicing with Palutena, and I want the character to do good. I can see so much potential with better start up to some moves and sooner FAFs as well. If Sakurai gives her that in the next patch Palutena will stay a main and won't become a secondary.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I feel the same, especially since recent patches haven't given changes most Pallys were expecting.

I don't think I will ever drop her though. The only time I did considered doing so was back when the game first came out in September. I was going though a rough patch with her, and wasn't use to her play style (being a Mario main and all). But after I got use to her default set, it was a wrap.

In terms of patches, I'm always cautiously optimistic about them. I'd be excited for buffs, but I'm not expecting them. I'm always expecting Palutena to be the same. So with that in mind, I just work and improve on what I currently have to work with.

I'm trying to make it were getting a buff isn't a need, but rather a bonus. And I'm always for customs, especially since Palutena's and Mii's are very unique.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I'd never consider dropping Palutena! She'll always be my main, first and foremost

I like to play a lot of other characters as well, and Corrin/Bayonetta look really interesting, but at the end of the day there's no character that feels quite as right to play as than Palutena. When I'm losing with my higher-tier characters I always switch to her and do better!

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see some people won't be completely dropping the Goddess, and that we can all celebrate or john together next month. I'm expecting some good buffs considering how these patches have been going. Don't let us down Sakurai.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Just had a fun custom match with my friend just now. I find it amazing how every custom move that Palutena has is useful in some way (even heavenly light) I long to see the day where customs are unbanned.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
As I've said on reddit multiple times I'm still hoping with everything I have that Palutena has some hidden potential that her mains unlock that'll have her walk with the better characters. She's still one of my secondaries but I haven't been using her as much as I should unless I want to have fun in a bigger mode, I can't find much progress with her in singles but maybe she's not meant to be played as a singles kind of character.

I haven't been on the Palutena side of things since I posted like 2 videos back in mid 2015. I wanted to post more but I'm under the impression bigger matches or nothing really high play related can be posted, or will even get feedback if requested for analysis. Coming from the Sonic boards its like only pro's get constructive help, which is kinda odd since they're pro's lol. But I digress, it's nice to see people aren't letting go of Palutena. She'll always be one of my favorites with how versatile she can be.

Sakurai, pls.

Lvl99Gamer

Smash Cadet
Just had a fun custom match with my friend just now. I find it amazing how every custom move that Palutena has is useful in some way (even heavenly light) I long to see the day where customs are unbanned.
I agree, Lightweight in particular feels incredibly empowering. The explosion thing (sorry I main Luigi, I don't know the name) is great with ledgeguarding and heavenly light is absolutely insane in doubles with the likes of Ness.
In retrospect, I find her default playstyle rather tough to enjoy as it's just too different from the playstyle tend to like. I think she's a really cool character though and I'd love to see her more in competative play

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
Can't say I'll straight up drop Palutena...ever

But at the same time I do need another option. Losing alot of tournaments because of "Palutena problems" is quite annoying. Though I can't blame the character all the way. I am equally to blame.

Can't say I'll straight up drop Palutena...ever

But at the same time I do need another option. Losing alot of tournaments because of "Palutena problems" is quite annoying. Though I can't blame the character all the way. I am equally to blame.
That being said. Lost to Lord Mix (Bowser) and Fatality (Falcon) at tournament on saturday...I did very well against Lord Mix but got absolutely destroyed by Fatality...I usually do ok against him but I got bodied this time >.<

That being said. Lost to Lord Mix (Bowser) and Fatality (Falcon) at tournament on saturday...I did very well against Lord Mix but got absolutely destroyed by Fatality...I usually do ok against him but I got bodied this time >.<
Got 5th outa 101 though...So thats ok I guess

Last edited by a moderator:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
So Genesis is this week. This is a list of "notable" players for pools at Genesis, and at least there's 1 Palutena. Anyone know any other Palutena players that might be going that we could watch?

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
So Genesis is this week. This is a list of "notable" players for pools at Genesis, and at least there's 1 Palutena. Anyone know any other Palutena players that might be going that we could watch?
Aren't TLTC and Aerolink going?

Pfff, I wish I could go to Genesis

wpwood wpwood TheRealPalutena TheRealPalutena do we have a define Palutena tech thread? I feel like we should have one and not 6 with scattered information.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Aren't TLTC and Aerolink going?
wpwood wpwood TheRealPalutena TheRealPalutena do we have a define Palutena tech thread? I feel like we should have one and not 6 with scattered information.
I already made a tech thread awhile back. If any new tech should be found post it there. Also if any tech questions arise go there.

TLTC is the only Palutena on that list (I'm bad at linking post; it's different from standard URLs). I would assume if iceninja was going he would be on that list as well, so I guess he's not.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster So when Palutena gets buffs we gonna see a Goddess and God slayer duel main? Or will Palutena take a seat as a secondary and Bayo is the solo main now? I refuse to believe no buffs will come. Seeing you at shockwave again will be nice, but after the Bayo hype dies down bring out Palutena at least once (if you'll still play the character). Who knows, maybe Palu will be the perfect secondary to Bayo.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Palutena gets any buffs it's probably just going to be minor, minor adjustments to her frame data like in the Tournament Mode update which won't exactly help her that much. It'd been over a year since Smash 4's release, they probably won't change her that much late in the game.

If I recall, Aerolink said on twitter that if customs were allowed again he'd play both Palu and Bayo.

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I already made a tech thread awhile back. If any new tech should be found post it there. Also if any tech questions arise go there.

TLTC is the only Palutena on that list (I'm bad at linking post; it's different from standard URLs). I would assume if iceninja was going he would be on that list as well, so I guess he's not.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster So when Palutena gets buffs we gonna see a Goddess and God slayer duel main? Or will Palutena take a seat as a secondary and Bayo is the solo main now? I refuse to believe no buffs will come. Seeing you at shockwave again will be nice, but after the Bayo hype dies down bring out Palutena at least once (if you'll still play the character). Who knows, maybe Palu will be the perfect secondary to Bayo.
I will be focused solely on Bayonetta for tournaments. I suppose I can pull out Palutena on a whim, however, if it was custom Palutena, I would definitely dual main. I'm always going to have my beloved custom Palutena to play every now and then for fun. *sniff sniff* RIP Moving forward, Bayonetta will be awesome to play!

Lvl99Gamer

Smash Cadet
I will be focused solely on Bayonetta for tournaments. I suppose I can pull out Palutena on a whim, however, if it was custom Palutena, I would definitely dual main. I'm always going to have my beloved custom Palutena to play every now and then for fun. *sniff sniff* RIP Moving forward, Bayonetta will be awesome to play!
I thought the exact same thing! I even voted for her in the ballot and called her announcement during the final Direct, to the shock of my smash buddies. However, I'm not too sure I'll play her. I'm not even hipster but I just don't like to play mainstream/ high tier characters. (Luigi is a bit of an exception, you don't wanna know how much Luigi Merch I have)

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
If Palutena gets any buffs it's probably just going to be minor, minor adjustments to her frame data like in the Tournament Mode update which won't exactly help her that much. It'd been over a year since Smash 4's release, they probably won't change her that much late in the game.

If I recall, Aerolink said on twitter that if customs were allowed again he'd play both Palu and Bayo.
All she needs is frame data buffs and a few tweeks to how certain moves function (Like warp's invincibility frames not lining up with the animation). Faster start up and sooner FAFs on certain moves and she'll be so much better. A movement buff would be nice too, but I would want faster frame data before faster movement speed. I can easily see buffs like these coming with the next patch. Mewtwo got a movement buff and Lucas got a frame data buff, so why can't Palutena get 1 or both to a lesser extent? Imagine a frame 4 jab instead of the current frame 8; it would be amazing.

Anyone know if max range, landing bair is safe on shield?

I will be focused solely on Bayonetta for tournaments.
inB4 Palutena is the perfect counter to Bayo. Revenge of the Goddess. :troll:

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Mewtwo got a movement buff and Lucas got a frame data buff, so why can't Palutena get 1 or both to a lesser extent?
You tell me. Why can't Duck Hunt have his smash attacks fixed and generally have more killing ability, and why can't Jigglypuff get any sort of meaningful buff? There's a lot of characters they just left in the dust.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
You tell me. Why can't Duck Hunt have his smash attacks fixed and generally have more killing ability, and why can't Jigglypuff get any sort of meaningful buff? There's a lot of characters they just left in the dust.
Well Jigglypuff is a delicate thing when it comes to buffs because one buff can make her extremely stupid. (Imo she's perfectly fine) Duck hunt just needs more KBG on some oh his moves ( most notably his can )

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Do you think she can get some serious data buffs in the bayonetta patch?.

Maybe they have been so busy with new content that they have not been able to adress the whole cast extensively?.

Even when bayo and corrin patch will be the last content patch, it doesnt mean, and i wanna hope that it will not be the last balance patch.

Palutena has been horridbly ignored by the devs and some of her moves have horrid frame data (ftilt im looking at you).

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai goes to tournaments in Japan so he sees how characters do there. Aba put DH pretty high up there and he is actually good. The NA meta is so focused on rush down that people ignore the traps DH can set up. Japanese players a little better at that and that's why DH is rated higher over there. Although Palutena is still low on their tier list as well, so I'm expecting Palu buffs.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I thought the exact same thing! I even voted for her in the ballot and called her announcement during the final Direct, to the shock of my smash buddies. However, I'm not too sure I'll play her. I'm not even hipster but I just don't like to play mainstream/ high tier characters. (Luigi is a bit of an exception, you don't wanna know how much Luigi Merch I have)
I see. I actually want my favorite characters to be great, because I want to play who I like and win.

inB4 Palutena is the perfect counter to Bayo. Revenge of the Goddess. :troll:
Haha, there's a reason why Bayonetta tells Palutena, "Don't mess with a witch." I find it interesting because they both have that sassy side to them.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice

I'm not feeling the best so I can't really test this out. So I'm not sure about down throw > dair > grab being a thing, but I do know that landing nair has frame advantage so that's true at least. I also don't know about how Sheik could DI out of this; if someone would like to confirm this that would be nice. It's interesting all the same though.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena

I'm not feeling the best so I can't really test this out. So I'm not sure about down throw > dair > grab being a thing, but I do know that landing nair has frame advantage so that's true at least. I also don't know about how Sheik could DI out of this; if someone would like to confirm this that would be nice. It's interesting all the same though.
Is is definitely SLHG :/ never in my life have I been able to fast fall nair without getting jabbed before the grab comes out. Down air definitely doesn't combo after down throw. And like every opponent (Bar Bowser) Sheik definitely could have just DIed up or away to break out of the combo. I was really hoping than new Palu tech was discovered or a new combo, but I guess I rose my expectations to high...

Please critique my gameplay
https://youtu.be/WP7CGKZziwk
Any comments would be appreciated

Lvl99Gamer

Smash Cadet
Please critique my gameplay
https://youtu.be/WP7CGKZziwk
Any comments would be appreciated
Disclaimer, I don't main Palutena or anything so I can't really tell when you miss potential combo's, only some basic gameplay mistakes.

Anyways it's a bit hard to judge on a video where you're winning, even moreso with the amount of pressure you're putting on that pikachu. I mean sure, there's some actions I don't agree with like some warps and forward tilts but those are more likely to be mistakes you made in the heat of things.

The only tip that I could give you is that you seem to be a tiny bit afraid, making a lot of unnecessary dodge rolls and shields which makes you miss potential damage/combo's or may even put you in a bad spot now and then.
But what I'm trying to say is that's its easier to give feedback and critique when I can see you make actual mistakes. On a positive note, I like the pressure you're exerting with your Palutena, usually it's Palu who needs to deal with pressure from all the rushdowns.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After modifying my Smash 3DS equipment supply a week ago, I do have a Palutena customization that's a rather interesting one...

Anchor Jump Staff: +85, -5
Glider Shield: +60, -42
Rare Agility Badge: +61, -30

Palutena ends up falling a bit faster than Dedede, but I did think ahead by improving her air speed, and giving her the Angelic Missile side special. I know that the increased fall speed hurts Palutena's air game, but it has often been on the mediocre side anyway. Likewise, recovering low is hindered by the falling speed as well, so I had to stick with the default Warp up special for being balanced with its travel distance for all angles.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Just a little better frame data and we'd love the Goddess even more. Those FAFs and start ups are atrocious. When I get home I'm looking up the frame data for some of the other characters. I swear Palutena is on the slower end of most moves either in start up or FAF. F-tilt isn't even active till frame 17. That's 1 frame faster than a smash attack that's more likely to kill, and has 1 frame more end lag than the same smash attack. Why do these tilts even exist; they don't even function like normal tilts. Up tilt is the only tilt I like, but even then people can fall out of it if hit at the edge of it.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Anyone knows about any streamer (or if you stream yourself) that plays Palutena every now and then?

4chanJoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
4chinJoe
I used to stream but I haven't done it in at least a year and a half, had to sell my capture card for scraps and put off getting a replacement. I might pick it back up if I can find a good capture card for under $200, I'd also probably help DePaul stream their smash events (whenever that may be)

Top Bottom