• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
If the Bayo-player is too slow corrin can counter the upair that is supposed to kill him off the top. Can't palu do Something like interfering between witch twist and the upair with her nair or so? If the Bayo-Player is kinda slow that is.

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
The majority of Palutena's moves can also beat out Bayonetta's. For example, Palutena up-air beats Bayo's d-air, Palu bair beats ABK, and jab can stuff out some things she can throw out. Overall Palutena can utilize a lot of her tools to wall-out Bayonetta with her defensive options.

4chanJoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
4chinJoe
One punish I've been getting a lot of mileage out of is perfect pivot Utilt to punish a DABK. Surprisingly effective in certain situations, especially if the Bayo is DABK heavy.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
If you get caught in witch time after a jab it's a good idea to rapid jab since it can clank with her smashes and you can possibly hit her and end witch time because of all the active hitboxes being thrown out.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
One thing I'm trying to improve on is moving as Palutena. Palutena has rather decent movement options, and choosing the right movement options rewards her greatly. This makes it all more frustrating when I screw up with movements and such; I end up doing swagwalking when I simply want to run in one damn direction lol.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
Palutena has been getting decent results this month thanks to her amazing players, i'm impressed.

Wow, this place is dead. One comment in two weeks.
Maybe the reason people assume Palutena is low tier... is that not enough people have realized her true potential?
Yes, she is very difficult to play, but she could contest any of the mid tiers and even some of the high tiers with full Super Armor optimization and mastery of jab conversions and KO percents.

Just wanted to leave this comment here. I can't play Palutena very well, but I know enough of what she can do, and I want her metagame to develop to the point where she is no longer seen as the low tier character that she isn't.

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
Life got super hectic for me and I only habe 3ds smash so I stopped playing for a while. Got inspired to play when I visited my friend this weekend and hope to start gradually going to some weakling in my area and getting Palutenas name out there. There's a local player in my area who is apparently a good Pally too so hopefully in a few months I may be able to proudly talk about my Palutena play again.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
No. ****ing. way... :crazy:
If you don't believe me... then question yourself this. Why am I here. I am no Palu main, secondary, or pocket. I am no moderator either. I must be here for some extraordinary reason, correct? CORRECT INDEED BECAUSE ZERO GOT 2-0ED BY PRINCE RAMEN USING PALUTENA

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I posted the set in the video thread. Today was a good day for our goddess. I love how diverse this meta is becoming, and I am more determined to keep pushing Palutena in my region. Congrats to Prince Ramen!

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
No one is allowed to complain about Palutena being bad anymore. She's not. Get better.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Ayylmao. I'm getting a feeling a bunch of people will continue to complain about Palutena until she wins 5 consecutive nationals in a row.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Wow, it's pretty quiet here. Discord really did a number on this board.

I guess I'll just say something random.

Palu's reflect is not a bad move.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
One week passes, and still it's just me :L

One thing I will say is, I learned something cool a while ago. Most of you probably knew this, but f-air strings can get interrupted by an aerial by most characters. To avoid getting hit by this aerial, you can land a f-air and then connect it with a b-air. B-air is super useful as a combo finisher.

Again, y'all probably already knew this, but I'm just throwing this out for the heck of it.

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
Bair is godlike. I use it a lot in neutral. You can even do two Bairs in a full hop, it catches people trying to punish Palu's landing. That's also part of the reason why my neutral is decent with her. When I play with WFT or Bayo, I can't play a good neutral because I rely too much on move that has invicible properties on frame 3 with Palutena.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Bair is godlike. I use it a lot in neutral. You can even do two Bairs in a full hop, it catches people trying to punish Palu's landing. That's also part of the reason why my neutral is decent with her. When I play with WFT or Bayo, I can't play a good neutral because I rely too much on move that has invicible properties on frame 3 with Palutena.
Bair is definitely good in neutral. Quick i-frames and decent damage really makes the move good in most scenarios.

However, I do think it is overrated as a neutral tool by many Palutena players. Due to its relatively high knockback and landing lag, it is not that great of a combo starter as fair and jab are. It's kinda hard to connect to another move if you win neutral with b-air, especially at mid-high %. Also, it is not too difficult to punish it if used too much.

...Not gonna lie, though. The full hop double b-air is a pretty cool mix up in neutral. I can see it being a very good tactic when playing the "keep away" game.

Last edited:

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
I mean, I use it to hit players that tends to approach with aerials too much. RAR SH Bair basically punish that and you can fade back pretty much to be safe.

Bair does have landing lag fo sure, especially if use careless/not autocancelled. On shied though, you can be pretty safe if spaced/crossed up.

And yeah, it isn't really a combo starter. Does 13% clean though, not that far from a double Fair string. Doing 13% relativly safely is huge considering every % counts when it comes to the grab follow up.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I mean, I use it to hit players that tends to approach with aerials too much. RAR SH Bair basically punish that and you can fade back pretty much to be safe.

Bair does have landing lag fo sure, especially if use careless/not autocancelled. On shied though, you can be pretty safe if spaced/crossed up.

And yeah, it isn't really a combo starter. Does 13% clean though, not that far from a double Fair string. Doing 13% relativly safely is huge considering every % counts when it comes to the grab follow up.
Ah, yeah. RAR b-air is great for punishing people who make too much aerial approaches.

B-air is definitely safe on shield when used smartly. It's not an unsafe move at all.

The move definitely packs a punch; that can't be argued. And, for that reason, I think the move is generally great as a combo finisher. Not to mention, you can't get hit out of it due to its i-frames.

I was mostly saying that b-air is overrated among palu users because I've seen so many Palu players only use that move in neutral. The move becomes incredibly stale and the players whos spam this become rather easy to read.

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
bair is only doing 12%.
My b, thanks for correcting. All my other characters does 13% so I guess I mixed that up.

That's interesting that you bring up the fact of Bair getting staled. You're right, spamming any move wouldn't get you anywhere in the first place. I think it's very important to vary moves with Palu because you don't really rely on a platora of different moves in neutral. Most of the time you'll get your stale list full of Fairs, a couple of Bairs/Dthrow/Jabs and maybe an occasional Nair. Keeping track of a them in the head could be beneficial to save a few more percent.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I actually have a question regarding Palu's f-throw.

When does it kill at ledge if the opponent DI's towards the blast zone after getting thrown?

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I actually have a question regarding Palu's f-throw.

When does it kill at ledge if the opponent DI's towards the blast zone after getting thrown?
Not entirely sure. I don't think I've ever gotten a kill off of forward throw alone. In my experience, I always have to do something else afterwards to get a kill.

Funny enough, I get plenty of kills with F-Throw into Auto Reticle. Only two things can come out from this. Either it gimps their second jump (with exception to multi-jump characters) due to them instinctively jumping after being knock away from the stage, or they wait out the Auto Reticle, and sometimes either jump over it or air dodge. Either way, it adds pressure, and make off stages punishes more in my favor.

Edit: Man, to think the first comment on this page was from April.... :dizzy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom