• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Like MysteriousSilver MysteriousSilver said, we are all a bunch of fools for trying to main her. In a sense, I kind of like the idea of using a "bad character". Only makes it look good if you win with her right?

Lol, anyways, anyone up for any matches? They don't have to be ditto matches, but I'd just like to see where my Palu stands. I can't do today, but tomorrow I'm free if anyone wants to.
Maybe I could.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Like MysteriousSilver MysteriousSilver said, we are all a bunch of fools for trying to main her. In a sense, I kind of like the idea of using a "bad character". Only makes it look good if you win with her right?

Lol, anyways, anyone up for any matches? They don't have to be ditto matches, but I'd just like to see where my Palu stands. I can't do today, but tomorrow I'm free if anyone wants to.
I don't play her because of her being a low-tier, I play her because I like her as a character, her playstyle, personally, and she prove to be really fun for me.
I'll play you tomorrow. Just the time and we'll battle.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Maybe I could.
Ard cool. I'm typically free from 2:00PM to 10:00PM on Sundays. So just give a time and we're good.

I don't play her because of her being a low-tier, I play her because I like her as a character, her playstyle, personally, and she prove to be really fun for me.
I'll play you tomorrow. Just the time and we'll battle.
Pretty much they same reasons I main her. Already made up my mind to when I first started wanting her playable. Like I said to Meleebrawler, I'm free from 2:00PM to 10:00PM, so just say the word.

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Pretty much they same reasons I main her. Already made up my mind to when I first started wanting her playable. Like I said to Meleebrawler, I'm free from 2:00PM to 10:00PM, so just say the word.
Cool. My Palutena isn't good because my stronger mains are :4luigi:,:4mario:,:4drmario:,:4pikachu:,:rosalina:, and :4kirby:, but I do well with her on a decent level so I'll try to be prepare with her if I can; But if you also want a dittos, then I'll do it and try my best with her.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Cool. My Palutena isn't good because my stronger mains are :4luigi:,:4mario:,:4drmario:,:4pikachu:,:rosalina:, and :4kirby:, but I do well with her on a decent level so I'll try to be prepare with her if I can; But if you also want a dittos, then I'll do it and try my best with her.
It's cool. Palu is my secondary, and Mario is my primary. So you can use whoever.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Guys, I just want to say, Palutena DOES have the tools to be viable, but her best ones are not allowed for the majority of tournaments. She was clearly designed around her customs, and it's a shame she can't be played to her full potential at majors.

Also, kmpyj kmpyj and Underhill Underhill , it would be best to take the playing session conversation to private messages. Sorry to bother.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Guys, I just want to say, Palutena DOES have the tools to be viable, but her best ones are not allowed for the majority of tournaments. She was clearly designed around her customs, and it's a shame she can't be played to her full potential at majors..
I agree with you here, but realistically outside of specific regions and quirky side events these are not going to be options the character has, and unless one lives in those regions it doesn't do any good to talk about what could be if they were legal. It's better to focus on what we do have and what we can do.

Sakurai please patch lightweight and superspeed in as default B moves

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Guys, I just want to say, Palutena DOES have the tools to be viable, but her best ones are not allowed for the majority of tournaments. She was clearly designed around her customs, and it's a shame she can't be played to her full potential at majors.

Also, kmpyj kmpyj and Underhill Underhill , it would be best to take the playing session conversation to private messages. Sorry to bother.
Will do. How do you feel about playing Default Palutena in tournaments because I heard that customs are ban in tournaments and I know that must have sucked; If you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210

My apologies, will do. Shame that most tourneys don't allow customs. I don't use them much, but I know other Pallys love them.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Will do. How do you feel about playing Default Palutena in tournaments because I heard that customs are ban in tournaments and I know that must have sucked; If you don't mind me asking?
It's a struggle, and MUs like Sheik become significantly difficult, to the point where I've considered playing a better character (I switched to Diddy Kong before Apex, then switched back to Palutena shortly after when customs were being allowed in tournament) or having a secondary to cover bad MUs like Rosalina for fighting Sheik; I've been dabbling in different characters post-EVO and sort of felt myself at a loss (character crisis) because I can't seem to fulfill the 2 things (Winning and playing a character I absolutely enjoy) that tend to clash with each other in me as a player; custom Palutena fulfilled those 2 things for me.

I do love playing Palutena in default, but I enjoy her with customs more; I just love the ability to switch between aggression and defense, maneuvering around the stage quickly, and having more reliable kill setups. Seeing her reveal trailer is what made me interested in playing her; just seeing all those moves she could do (I thought all of that was part of her base moveset at first lol). Then I played KI Uprising and that further increased my interest in Palutena as a character.

But yeah, TLDR, it's a struggle.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
It's a struggle, and MUs like Sheik become significantly difficult, to the point where I've considered playing a better character (I switched to Diddy Kong before Apex, then switched back to Palutena shortly after when customs were being allowed in tournament) or having a secondary to cover bad MUs like Rosalina for fighting Sheik; I've been dabbling in different characters post-EVO and sort of felt myself at a loss (character crisis) because I can't seem to fulfill the 2 things (Winning and playing a character I absolutely enjoy) that tend to clash with each other in me as a player; custom Palutena fulfilled those 2 things for me.

I do love playing Palutena in default, but I enjoy her with customs more; I just love the ability to switch between aggression and defense, maneuvering around the stage quickly, and having more reliable kill setups. Seeing her reveal trailer is what made me interested in playing her; just seeing all those moves she could do (I thought all of that was part of her base moveset at first lol). Then I played KI Uprising and that further increased my interest in Palutena as a character.

I never did play KI Uprising since I don't have it, but the game's dialogue, story, and Palutena's guidance from ssb4 had my attention so it was enough for me to be interested in Palutena even more.
Yeah, her MUs can be a pain to face against, especially Sonic because I think he's worse than Sheik, but this is my opinion. I don't blame you for pulling out your Diddy Kong; If I have to pull Dr Mario out against Luigi since he does better in the MU than Pikachu or Kirby, then I will if he gives me trouble as both of those characters so do what you got to do, man. I would love to see more of your custom Palutena in action, but too bad customs are gone in tournaments which I think it was stupid, btw. Yeah without customs, then its hard to be aggressive due to her poor frame data outside of jabs and aerials.

Hang in there, you'll make it.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena

This may sound bias but shouldn't her her customs be legal? She's the only character that has all of her customs unlocked at the beginning so that would technically make her a similar case like the miis

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
This may sound bias but shouldn't her her customs be legal? She's the only character that has all of her customs unlocked at the beginning so that would technically make her a similar case like the miis
Unfortunately, they ban them so her customs goes along with them. Even if either she needs them or that her customs are different, they're still customs either way, sadly. I would love to see more of AeroLink's custom Palutena in action.

Last edited:

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
Managed to take second in Singles AND doubles in a tournament today...Lost to Fatality in Winners Finals + Grand finals in singles (and him and his partner beat us in doubles) sigh...

I'm getting better though...I need to start going to tournaments outside of my regions to get more experience in higher level play.

Will post videos / Stream link whenever I find it if anyone wants to critique my gameplay.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Tbh, patch 1.1.1 really hasn't affected me much if any. I still play the same way, and still get the same results.

One of my old problems with Palutena was I relied way too much on aerials. And you get seriously punish for mainly using aerials in Smash 4, especially for Palutena's case. It was a problem that stuck with me for awhile.

I tried making some quick fixes by getting faster with Palu, and using Jab more, but that only did but so much on characters like Sheik and Diddy. I came to the conclusion that I needed to improve my ground game.

So I started pivoting. Was surprised just how effective it was. With this, I made use of things like DTilt, UTilt, Grabs, and Jabs. Something that I knew of since launch, but never made use of (I blame Mario for that).

The results, are satisfying. I manage to make Second place in a local Tourney with her alone. And I'm starting to feel more comfortable fighting Sheik and Diddy. Zero, Pikachu, and Luigi are manageable, but I still need work with Rosy. That Luma ruins everything, lol. Even when I use Mario I still have a hard time. But than again, I haven't fought many Rosalinas, so that could be a reason. :/
I like that you said this. My issue with Palutena is that it seems (and I could be wrong) that in a top-notch match as Palutena most of the gameplay will be aerials (sometimes excluding Dair), Dash attack, and grabs. In another thread, someone said this to me:

“Sakurai has also stated fighters are meant to be balanced for 'average' skill players, as opposed to top notch players,”

In some matches, you can get away with using her other moves with regard to the other person’s skill level. In higher level matches, it’s R I S K Y. The “buff/nerf game” is probably a never-ending situation so I don’t know when Sakurai is going to stop, but I do hope she gets buffed. I like her and she’s the one I play the most at the moment.

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Anyone have advice for fighting Little Mac in Neutral? Fought my first real Mac today, and while I could make him suffer offstage, getting him there was a bit of a pain

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Anyone have advice for fighting Little Mac in Neutral? Fought my first real Mac today, and while I could make him suffer offstage, getting him there was a bit of a pain
I find using Bair and Fair to be useful in this match up, with Dash Attack ok to use with caution. Pivoting into a Jab or grab works great, as well as using DTilt for priority.

Then once you knock him off stage........hit him with the Reflect......:joyful:

Sunswine

Smash Rookie
How do you feel about the situation regarding Palutena and the Miis with their customs? I know this is a separate thread somewhere, but I wanted to see your take on it. It just irritates me that people are demanding that the Miis be allowed their customs in tournaments, yet a so quick to turn around and bash on Palutena when she literally has the same excuse for the except for the "custom on/off" button. People want Mii Customs because it clearly makes them better, but Palutena is denied that despite being the character that pretty much dictates customs and how her are all so varied and all unlocked at the start. I may be rambling but I just wanna see your Custom Palutena again so badly, you still do amazing with default and you're every Palutena Main's idol, so it's a shame she won't be in the spotlight unless customs comeback.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
How do you feel about the situation regarding Palutena and the Miis with their customs? I know this is a separate thread somewhere, but I wanted to see your take on it. It just irritates me that people are demanding that the Miis be allowed their customs in tournaments, yet a so quick to turn around and bash on Palutena when she literally has the same excuse for the except for the "custom on/off" button. People want Mii Customs because it clearly makes them better, but Palutena is denied that despite being the character that pretty much dictates customs and how her are all so varied and all unlocked at the start. I may be rambling but I just wanna see your Custom Palutena again so badly, you still do amazing with default and you're every Palutena Main's idol, so it's a shame she won't be in the spotlight unless customs comeback.
I know this is directed towards Aerolink, but I'd like to my two cents.

I'm completely for customs. Though I don't really use them often (unless Lightweight is an option), I know many Pallys love them. And the results from her customs are quite impressive. Palutena and Miis were definitely built with customs in mind. It's a part of their whole gimmick. So it would definitely be a shame to never shine light on the competitive scene for them.

However, I think if we're going to push for Palutena and Miis to have customs, we also have to push for the rest of the cast to have customs as well. As a Mario main, I know there are quite a few Mario players that like his customs. It wouldn't be fair to them to not receive customs, while Palutena can. If we want to get looked at, we have to appeal to everyone, and not just two characters (4 if you count Palutena and all the variations of Miis).

But other than that, I'm 100% for it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Can't believe I've never really been here... This is the social right?

Ended up messing around with Palutena the other day and found out that you can cancel the endlag of a fullhop Uair with something else, since the FAF comes before the autocancel. Won't let you autocancel an aerial after that though. (Her Fair ACs on 1-3 but in this situation it just won't happen.) Has this been known?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace

Ended up messing around with Palutena the other day and found out that you can cancel the endlag of a fullhop Uair with something else, since the FAF comes before the autocancel. Won't let you autocancel an aerial after that though. (Her Fair ACs on 1-3 but in this situation it just won't happen.) Has this been known?
If it was known, I didn't know it. Great info, thanks!

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Well, I have been preparing for a couple of tournaments that are allowing Miis/Palutena customs. I do believe that every character should have access to all their special moves, even though I would attend any tournament that allows for usage of Palutena's custom moves.

Sunswine

Smash Rookie
I know this is directed towards Aerolink, but I'd like to my two cents.

I'm completely for customs. Though I don't really use them often (unless Lightweight is an option), I know many Pallys love them. And the results from her customs are quite impressive. Palutena and Miis were definitely built with customs in mind. It's a part of their whole gimmick. So it would definitely be a shame to never shine light on the competitive scene for them.

However, I think if we're going to push for Palutena and Miis to have customs, we also have to push for the rest of the cast to have customs as well. As a Mario main, I know there are quite a few Mario players that like his customs. It wouldn't be fair to them to not receive customs, while Palutena can. If we want to get looked at, we have to appeal to everyone, and not just two characters (4 if you count Palutena and all the variations of Miis).

But other than that, I'm 100% for it.
I agree in general that customs should be allowed, it just seems dumb that only Miis would be allowed. Of course making customs for everyone would solve this problem but you know how most people feel about them sadly.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice

Hi Lancer Staff! IceNinja has mentioned this in his "Lady Palutena's Guidance" guide. It's a sticky thread here if you want to check it out. This is some of what he said regarding Uair:

"One more problem with this move is that at certain distances above the ground, even though you have completed the move, if you do nothing else before you touch the ground, you will get the landing lag of this move. You can actually use any other move before you hit the ground and will be able to get the landing lag of another move, be it a B move, aerial attack or an air dodge. Considered using a fair when near the ground if you keep running into this problem to reduce your landing lag or use an Up B to reposition yourself."

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty neutral when it comes to customs...I don't mind if they are legal or not. Even if they were legal I probably wouldn't use them all too much if at all. Though I do agree that if Mii / Palutena can use customs...everyone should >.<

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I agree in general that customs should be allowed, it just seems dumb that only Miis would be allowed. Of course making customs for everyone would solve this problem but you know how most people feel about them sadly.
I don't mind customs. They're fun to use and Customs should be bought back in the competitive scene. Nintendo didn't make them for nothing because they do bring more into the game and make matches more interesting. Not everybody has to play with them, though.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Just wanted to say congratulations to Aerolink for winning the King of the Springs 2015 tourney! http://smashsociety.challonge.com/KotSSm4sh

The TO for this event made an interesting, albiet somewhat controversial decision for the ruleset: In addition to the Mii Fighters being granted all their moves, Palutena was also permitted to use all her custom specials. It was this decision that led Aerolink to becoming the champion here.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
for glory pls...

i beat someone twice in a row with palu, one of the games being a 2 stock win, and then I was like eh I'll switch to ZSS just for the hell of it. I'm not great with ZSS so I lost and he changed his name to "GET GOOD" and left lol

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
for glory pls...

i beat someone twice in a row with palu, one of the games being a 2 stock win, and then I was like eh I'll switch to ZSS just for the hell of it. I'm not great with ZSS so I lost and he changed his name to "GET GOOD" and left lol
Yup. That is for glory people in a nutshell. Doesn't matter how many times you won a match against them. The moment they get that one win against you, they start boasting, and leave immediately.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
for glory pls...

Wow, I'm amazing that he say it. First scrubs, then corwards XD

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
People are pretty respectful to me on 3ds, no one changes their tag or anything :^)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Please no. Palutena shouldn't be the only character to have customs just because she's better with them. its kind of biased and unfair to all the other characters that get better with customs. And all customs shouldn't be legal just because some low tiers benefit from it. Just need to outplay the opponent and find a way. Its possible. . . . Player skill matters more on most if not all levels of play in smash 4.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Please no. Palutena shouldn't be the only character to have customs just because she's better with them. its kind of biased and unfair to all the other characters that get better with customs. And all customs shouldn't be legal just because some low tiers benefit from it. Just need to outplay the opponent and find a way. Its possible. . . . Player skill matters more on most if not all levels of play in smash 4.
While I'm not personally arguing for the inclusion of Palu-exclusive customs, "because she's better with them" isn't really the argument. The argument is that customs were what the character was designed around, like the Mii fighters, and that they already come unlocked. And maybe something else, I don't know.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I'm not gonna argue for them at my local weekly tournament because that would seem pretty biased lol, and I'd rather work hard and not have that as a crutch. If my tourny organizers decided to do that though that'd be p cool ~

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Random but... I had no idea her Reflector can break. It's near the end. (This isn't me playing)

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Oh ****. That's really cool, I wonder how much damage it takes.

Doesn't seem like a hugely big deal though since she can just push out another one right after

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh ****. That's really cool, I wonder how much damage it takes.

Doesn't seem like a hugely big deal though since she can just push out another one right after
Breaks at 50%, like all reflectors. Even the exact amount of damage Mewtwo took.

Top Bottom