• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
When I short hopped and air dodged immediately with Palutena, I don't see any landing lag. But then again, I'm VERY new here, Does the cancelling reduce it even more?
There isn't any. Compare the landing to when you intentionally dodge to the ground. Dodge canceling wasn't mentioned to work with Palutena at the end of the video. You can even try it with her. You don't need to cancel the dodge lag with a f-air. All of her other arials give her lag any way. So it wouldn't be too useful even if she did need to dodge cancel. Her dodge ends before she hits the ground with the short-hop so she's fine.

Also: people dropping the goddess are laaame :p
No one's dropping her :ohwell:

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
*eyetwitch* She's not bad... She's just complex in a defensive way... I kinda get annoyed of ppl saying she's terrible. It's like my fuse gets lit reading it. They're just not used to her style, and I ain't giving up on her, and I should stop ranting before I lose it again.
This should make you happy then
When I first got the game I thought she was bad but now I love her. She's really good.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I got 7th at the past Smash 3ds Tournament this weekend in AL. I lost to Player-1's Diddy & Player-0's Lucario. The diddy kong matchup is challenging for me, and I definitely need more help with. Player-1 is a more practiced player than I am, so he definitely has the upper hand whenever we play. Player-0, it was a close match, but I felt I lost mentally to myself more so than him. I got too prideful after convincingly winning the 1st match & went for a spike 2nd game & SD'd then SD'd 3rd game, and didn't clutch it out. It's all good though, I will be more prepared for next time, and won't make the same mistakes. Props to him because he hasn't beaten me in tournament before. Lucario's side-b is very powerful but I think you can spotdodge & punish w/ upsmash. I learned that you can punish getups w/ upsmash at high % for easy kills too.

Here's a combo video I found yesterday! It's very inspiring... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo3dkdspmEQ

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I got 7th at the past Smash 3ds Tournament this weekend in AL. I lost to Player-1's Diddy & Player-0's Lucario. The diddy kong matchup is challenging for me, and I definitely need more help with. Player-1 is a more practiced player than I am, so he definitely has the upper hand whenever we play. Player-0, it was a close match, but I felt I lost mentally to myself more so than him. I got too prideful after convincingly winning the 1st match & went for a spike 2nd game & SD'd then SD'd 3rd game, and didn't clutch it out. It's all good though, I will be more prepared for next time, and won't make the same mistakes. Props to him because he hasn't beaten me in tournament before. Lucario's side-b is very powerful but I think you can spotdodge & punish w/ upsmash. I learned that you can punish getups w/ upsmash at high % for easy kills too.

Here's a combo video I found yesterday! It's very inspiring... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo3dkdspmEQ
2:58 to 3:16 - oh my god I'm dying

And people say Palutena's a poor choice of character. Silly silly mortal people~

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I think I'm gonna steal that U-tilt after N-air and take it for a spin. That's the good thing about gathering data. <3

EDIT: I kinda need help getting a hold of Aero so I can have Palutena dittos and gather more data.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I think I'm gonna steal that U-tilt after N-air and take it for a spin. That's the good thing about gathering data. <3

EDIT: I kinda need help getting a hold of Aero so I can have Palutena dittos and gather more data.
If you're connection is better I'll do dittos with you again.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So I've been tinkering around her Paluntena lately and she's pretty fun but my main issues is when she whiffs a move, she really whiffs a move and all of her tilts are very punishable on shield so her tilts seem only to be used at certain times. Also Autoreticle or however you pronounce this move I like it and I straight up hate it. Overall I hate a love hate relationship with this character.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I can have Palutena Ditto's tomorrow if anyone wants to have a few.. just not at 11 Am (eastern) I'll be able to have a few after 12:20 until maybe 5pm..

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I can try if I don't lag much. I'm kinda pacific time, so... yea. We Palutenas must stand together and show off the light.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit , you still need to add my friend coooode~ ;w;

I'm totally up for Palutena dittos! >w<
Oh yea. D: I kinda don't have it, and I'll play whenever I feel calm or something. All for Pit and Palutena after all! Still, there's also hoping one can save replays as mine is almost maxed. D:
My mind's weird again. D:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I think it is 100 replays. Idk, but I do miss the 1k replay thing the Brawl SD card had. Maybe the Wii U will be like that though due to more space.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
With the advent of sliding counter, I've been starting to put Counter into my movesets and I'm absolutely loving it.

As we know, Palutena really struggles with close range fighters and Counter is a great GTFO move that she doesn't normally have outside of Jab. The sliding distance appears to be the distance of her FSmash and so this would be useful for a close range attack as the hitbox is active during the slide, as far as my research is telling me.

I'm currently doing Autoreticle, Super Speed, Counter and rotating between the three specials. Preferring Warp and Rocket Jump right now though.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
My main set is still the Autoreticle, Fireworks, Jump Glide, and Reflect Barrier, but I'm starting to like the default a bit. However, I guess it's because being fancy with Warp Cancel and the Sliding Counter still has potential that needs to be unlocked. More experiments definitely gonna happen though to give Palutena an all-around versatile capability.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Sliding counter is useless imo. To risky, just like normal counter. Difficult to do consistently. If you counter and don't slide you'll just get hit.

I could see its usefulness if its mastered but I don't think anyone has mastered it yet. And its still super risky. Like any counter.

Warp is better than jump glide for being aggressive off stage for me. I tend to SD when I have jump glide. Warp helps me go deeper without killing myself. Lightweight.... oh man. I've got a pretty nice combo out of d-grab with that move. Needs more experimentation though.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, got to play AeroLink for a 30+ minute Palutena marathon, and I kinda got beat badly. Sure some of matches I kinda got lucky with my bizarre style and there was lag here and there, but he still won most of em. Plus my Pit didn't do any better (poor Pit). D: However, I'm still looking forward to more Palutena marathons, and add my Pit in the mix for training.
For once in this game I actually had fun. I appreciate it my friend. My poor Palutena and Pit are healing in the hot springs though. That's how tough the battles were.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I wanna trying Dittoing too with other Palutena-players sometime in order to pick up new tactics. Perhaps someone could volunteer?
I was actually just about to come here, and say the exact same thing. My 3DS FC is
1032 - 1329 - 6718

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, now the Utilt has a use for me! Also never thought of using the Ftilt for ledgeguarding~ Usually use it to push people back.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Yeah, now the Utilt has a use for me! Also never thought of using the Ftilt for ledgeguarding~ Usually use it to push people back.
Something to add, Utilt is also great for attacking people as they are falling down. Like when Greninja players use that Down air. By using Palutena's Utilt, you can actually hit people before their attack lands. All because Palutena is bending downwards when she does the move. That staff protects her.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
My main set is still the Autoreticle, Fireworks, Jump Glide, and Reflect Barrier, but I'm starting to like the default a bit. However, I guess it's because being fancy with Warp Cancel and the Sliding Counter still has potential that needs to be unlocked. More experiments definitely gonna happen though to give Palutena an all-around versatile capability.
Haven't read about warp cancel. Where's the info on that? If it's what it sounds like it is, it could be very interesting.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Haven't read about warp cancel. Where's the info on that? If it's what it sounds like it is, it could be very interesting.
Apparently, if you teleport right near the end of any edge, Palutena will cancel out of it. I done this quite a few times. It's very, very, VERY hard to pull off, but once you (and me too) master it, it will be one of Palutena's most competitive play style. It's tedious to learn, yes, but it is completely worth the effort. Zelda can do this to, but I like how Palutena's teleport feels. It feels a little faster, and doesn't hit your opponent, so you can follow up with the attack you see fit.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I just played a good number of Palutena ditto's with Aerodrome. It was all you can eat Jab > Grab setups.
Yes (posting this in the social because I have nothing to say about Paletuna vs Paletuna)

But playing against another Paletuna has taught me:

• Jab is probably Paletuna's best grounded option
  • Bowser can super armor through jab 2
  • Grab is still godlike
  • Super Speed is amazing (I will have to try it myself, teach me hao to cancel plox)
  • SUPER SPEED COMBOS INTO ROCKET JUMP SOMETIMES (????)
  • Super Speed jump cancelled into Nair shoots you across the stage
  • Explosive Flame is useless against fast characters unless you can get them offstage reliably
I need to work on some things I think. I learn fast though so it's k.

I also am really surprised when I grab people sometimes. I need to be less surprised and pummel more seeing as Paletuna has one of the best pummels in the game.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Yes (posting this in the social because I have nothing to say about Paletuna vs Paletuna)

But playing against another Paletuna has taught me:

• Jab is probably Paletuna's best grounded option
  • Bowser can super armor through jab 2
  • Grab is still godlike
  • Super Speed is amazing (I will have to try it myself, teach me hao to cancel plox)
  • SUPER SPEED COMBOS INTO ROCKET JUMP SOMETIMES (????)
  • Super Speed jump cancelled into Nair shoots you across the stage
  • Explosive Flame is useless against fast characters unless you can get them offstage reliably
I need to work on some things I think. I learn fast though so it's k.

I also am really surprised when I grab people sometimes. I need to be less surprised and pummel more seeing as Paletuna has one of the best pummels in the game.
Yup yup.

Jab is the best move I think on the whole character. It's fast, has good range, it almost always guarantees a jab, and at point blank range if it connects, you get a free Smash (not guaranteed but damn near close). Her grab is stupid good considering how far away and how high up it grabs. It reminds me of a slightly worse Melee Marth grab. Shield dash into grab is crazy good.

Super Speed has an initial hitbox but you need to be on point with it. It guarantees JC'd Rocket Jump, Up Tilt, or Up Smash if you have fast reaction time. If it gets blocked, you can pivot grab instantly out of it.

Super Speed canceled into any aerial shoots you across the stage. You can use this for FAir, Up Air (catch people on platforms), or DAir.

And your thoughts on Explosive Flame are why I stopped using it. I can edge guard plenty fine with Lightweight or DAir. You need AR for the Neutral against certain characters. Played a bunch vs. Peach last night and once again I felt my choice in AR was vindicated because Peach could never float against me or use Turnips. If I didn't suck terribly vs her I think it'd be much more of a stomp.

Going to try my hand at playing Palutena vs Nairo and/or Dabuz tonight. Wish me luck... I'm going to need it.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Its possible to jump out of jab>anything (I think. If anyone wants to test this further that'd be great). Especially if you spam the single jab or maybe just when you spam the single jab and try to jab again/get a grab out of it.

Is dash grab slower than standing grab? I think it might be. Anyone else think so?

I hate that Greninja can roll away after the initial jab.

That's why I hate that matchup. If you try to set up anything with a jab he can just roll before you can grab him.

Everything he does is so safe.....

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Strangely so far I'm actually enjoying Explosive Flame more than AR.

Mainly because while edge guarding a properly timed EF forces them to either get hit and sent flying up, sometimes into death, or to commit to something and then I can follow up.
Also, shielding it doesn't work since the last frame still hits them and I've been able to punish people who constantly roll by predicting where they'll roll and placing it there.

I admit, it's not a solid move or completely reliable at that, but I personally find it more reliable than AR for some reason.

Btw, is anyone else using jump glide offensively? I kind of love how JG into Fair then jab then grab works. Then when they learn to expect it there's also Super speed into grab, and now sliding counter too! Feels like JG and SS just offer so many movement options.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Its possible to jump out of jab>anything (I think. If anyone wants to test this further that'd be great). Especially if you spam the single jab or maybe just when you spam the single jab and try to jab again/get a grab out of it.

Is dash grab slower than standing grab? I think it might be. Anyone else think so?

I hate that Greninja can roll away after the initial jab.

That's why I hate that matchup. If you try to set up anything with a jab he can just roll before you can grab him.

Everything he does is so safe.....
Well like I said, Greninja's cheap and I hate ninjas. I would personally avoid him and Sheik out of spite. But that's my anger kicking in again, so...
Hot springs!

But really, my next thing I want to work with is Palutena's best stages, and which stages to CP/ban against characters. That's another step to advancing. I've been trying to see if Prism Tower can be of use for us though.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Well like I said, Greninja's cheap and I hate ninjas. I would personally avoid him and Sheik out of spite. But that's my anger kicking in again, so...
Hot springs!

But really, my next thing I want to work with is Palutena's best stages, and which stages to CP/ban against characters. That's another step to advancing. I've been trying to see if Prism Tower can be of use for us though.
I've been organizing online tournaments in other forums, and frankly haven't found any stage to be particularly unpleasant for Palutena. She can work flatlands, air, platforms ... I'm definitely not having issues with stages using her, aside from my own personal issues against a stage.
Arena Ferox, for one, it's a very very fun stage for her, imo.

I think we have the nice priviledge of focusing on stage bans depending on the match-up to make things harder for the opponent, instead of having to cover potential weaknesses.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, I know Little Mac and Captain Falcon are supposed to be tricky match-ups for Ladypal, but I think they're just peachy.

Come close, grab, throw, spike~ Rinse and repeat as necessary. Friendly taunting optional.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Something to add, Utilt is also great for attacking people as they are falling down. Like when Greninja players use that Down air. By using Palutena's Utilt, you can actually hit people before their attack lands. All because Palutena is bending downwards when she does the move. That staff protects her.
Oh really? Does this work on other Dair's like Toon Link's? How about some Down D's like Bowser and Yoshi?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Oh really? Does this work on other Dair's like Toon Link's? How about some Down D's like Bowser and Yoshi?
No Palutena will get hit by TL. Yoshi and bowser should be stopped since they don't have a hit box that will hit Palutena unlike TL's Dair does..

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Hot springs!

Platforms baby. Those kinds of stages give her a good advantage.

d-throw>up-smash is safe with platforms.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I've been organizing online tournaments in other forums, and frankly haven't found any stage to be particularly unpleasant for Palutena. She can work flatlands, air, platforms ... I'm definitely not having issues with stages using her, aside from my own personal issues against a stage.
Arena Ferox, for one, it's a very very fun stage for her, imo.

I think we have the nice priviledge of focusing on stage bans depending on the match-up to make things harder for the opponent, instead of having to cover potential weaknesses.
I just need stages to ban against certain characters. BF and Prism Tower (that I'm working on) are usually my aces in the hole... even Brinstar which will most likely be banned soon. I know I hate YI as it takes away my precious warp cancels.

Platforms baby. Those kinds of stages give her a good advantage.

d-throw>up-smash is safe with platforms.
I suppose so. I need to gather more data, but I'm still reluctant on fighting ninjas. Stress and my mindset are just not the best.

Top Bottom