• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I prefer to play in the daytime as opposed to the evenings. I gotta clean my FC thing eventually though. D:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
GG's @ kmpyj kmpyj I wanted to see more of that Mario though :p

You're Palutena is nice. It's so aggressive. You have nice mix-ups. Be careful not to get shield grabbed though. Don't always be so predictable. You have a lot of habits I abused. That's how I got those charged up-smashes on you from d-grab. And how I baited the airdodges from you when I was chasing you in the air. I decided to go default the last few matches so it would a little more of a ditto. :p
Pretty good matches man. Pretty good Smash Player as a whole. I never thought of using Palutena's up air to knock people downwards near a ledge.
That's actually something I've been experimenting with. It could act as a neat spike.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
GG's @ kmpyj kmpyj I wanted to see more of that Mario though :p

You're Palutena is nice. It's so aggressive. You have nice mix-ups. Be careful not to get shield grabbed though. Don't always be so predictable. You have a lot of habits I abused. That's how I got those charged up-smashes on you from d-grab. And how I baited the airdodges from you when I was chasing you in the air. I decided to go default the last few matches so it would a little more of a ditto. :p

That's actually something I've been experimenting with. It could act as a neat spike.
Yeah, that's one thing I am trying to work on not being predictable.

As for Mario, it was kind of embarrassing because my fingers lock up. I have dishonored myself. :(

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I just need stages to ban against certain characters. BF and Prism Tower (that I'm working on) are usually my aces in the hole... even Brinstar which will most likely be banned soon. I know I hate YI as it takes away my precious warp cancels.

I suppose so. I need to gather more data, but I'm still reluctant on fighting ninjas. Stress and my mindset are just not the best.
Bro you can warp cancel on YI, it's very simple. Try to work on your spacing for it. Also, does anyone have ideas on the Diddy/Sheik/Sonic/fast character matchups? I'm having a lot of difficulty, and idk if they are bad matchups, my own lack of experience, or better characters. I do blame myself right now because I don't know how to properly deal w/ everything & the timings of certain punishes because it seems like we have small windows.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Bro you can warp cancel on YI, it's very simple. Try to work on your spacing for it. Also, does anyone have ideas on the Diddy/Sheik/Sonic/fast character matchups? I'm having a lot of difficulty, and idk if they are bad matchups, my own lack of experience, or better characters. I do blame myself right now because I don't know how to properly deal w/ everything & the timings of certain punishes because it seems like we have small windows.
Jab Sonic's approaches. You can even hold the continuous jab out. I don't recommend it though. Sonic rush downs so much. You can just jab and it will hit him out. Then start a jab>grab combo. Don't get flustered by their flashiness. They like to move around. Just be patient.

Sheik you just need to be careful. Don't get caught by their dash attacks. Just shield them and punish. Watch out for needles.

I haven't played a single Diddy.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The sonic I played once destroyed me in the first match, then in the second match I abused Counter like a level 9 CPU since I knew all of his approaches and two stocked him. Wasn't a problem ever again.

So I guess counter could help as long as you can predict what their attack pattern is. Also, I believe Palutena's dash attack has priority over spin dashes due to the whole shielding effect. However, I do qualify that I haven't actually fought a sonic player since that and I imagine they're probably more refined at this point than spin dashing and dash attacking all the time.

I also haven't seen diddy, or a good sheik for that matter.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I kinda think the shield itself can pierce through mediocre hits, not just the anti-projectile thing. I'm just bored atm.

Diddy's evil, I'm saying that now. Banana trip to grab to D-throw to U-air, almost all the time. Side-B is evil too with the additional damage it does. I can't stress enough on his combos and how obnoxious the character still is. He may not the be the worst, but I still hate him to no end. Why can't he just be nerfed for good?

Zero Suit Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-4318-0259
I kinda think the shield itself can pierce through mediocre hits, not just the anti-projectile thing.
I'm actually convinced it's invincible...well...her bair at least invincible (maybe not that but it has really good defensive properties). Yesterday my friend used Link's dair to come down on me and I did a rising bair and he just bounced off of her shield. Earlier I also beat a Sheik's usmash with her bair...she just eats moves with her shield.

Her dash attack seems to have extremely similar properties. I don't recall a time I've gotten beat when dash attacking...but does have mondo lag afterwards so not really worth abusing.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
by any chance would any of you like assistance with the zss match up? I main her and bowser jr and I still have a decent peach and Rosalina to help.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
by any chance would any of you like assistance with the zss match up? I main her and bowser jr and I still have a decent peach and Rosalina to help.
As Palutena, you can Autoreticule ZSS pretty much whenever she starts using her paralyser.
When she runs in, either counter or spotdodge based on whether you think they will attack
or grab. If they flip jump to recover you can easily hit them out of it, just be
careful not to miss or you may eat a powerful kick.

Don't let her scare you into shielding too much, since that's how she lands her grabs
most of the time.

As Bowser Jr. don't ever use your cannon for anything other than edgeguarding or punishing
landings, and be careful dropping mechakoopas when ZSS runs in since there is a good chance
she will pick it up while attacking you. Exercise picking up and throwing them when she is away,
since they outrange her paralyser when thrown from the air. You could also try driving into
her as she runs in as she runs in for a surprise and possibly start a juggle.

If you can counter her paralyser, then the match becomes a lot less scary
as you can watch what she does as she runs in. Just don't default to shielding
when doing this!

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
No but as a fellow ZSS/Palutena player, you could PM me some tips. I've been focusing on Palutena for a week...go back to ZSS and I cry because I forget everything. I need setups/approaches big time. Punishment is fine.

I feel I'm too damn predictable with her... she's so good and so much fun but I feel I have like... a bazillion less options than when I play Palu.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
No but as a fellow ZSS/Palutena player, you could PM me some tips. I've been focusing on Palutena for a week...go back to ZSS and I cry because I forget everything. I need setups/approaches big time. Punishment is fine.

I feel I'm too damn predictable with her... she's so good and so much fun but I feel I have like... a bazillion less options than when I play Palu.
If you want we can play some matches now. I would also like to try some palutena mirrors since I haven't had any yet.

My fc is 1993-9014-5126 Nabbitz

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I decided I'll try to be up early about 7-8am PST for Palutena battles, or something. If I can't then, maybe the weekend? Anything for not only one to record me in action (hopefully someone will actually show me winning for once, but that's another story), but it helps get to know each other better.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Lightweight

D-throw>n-air>up-air

Kills

Bowser 60%

no staling. no rage. NO DEEE-IIIII !

Stars must align for this to combo on anyone.

But it is possible

Last edited:

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Ok that's fine with me. Btw if anyone else wants to add me feel free to add my fc above.
Added both of you! My FC: 3582-8927-0427

I'm not great, but hopefully I can get a game in with you guys at one point.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
I'll add you guys. Tonight was kinda a busy night but tomorrow I'll definitely be more available. Any practice is good for me. I spend so much time in the lab finding things out and very little time actually playing real games which is a huge weakness I need to fix.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Why is she crying? T-T
She is crying because God is dead.

So I realised earlier on today just how essentially brilliant Palutena is in stages with platforms. Her up-smash is just stupendous when you hit people from below~

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Next character on my hate list: Yoshi for being cheap, egg spam, and overall being cheap, as with all high tiers.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Next character on my hate list: Yoshi for being cheap, egg spam, and overall being cheap, as with all high tiers.
Wasn't Yoshi already on your hate list? i remember you talking about him and then Mario.. unless i'm confusing Yoshi with someone else..

and i can play online as of now if anyone wants to have Palutena Dittos.. (I can also use Zelda, Bowser Jr., and Mario effectively ..) (Though I'm playing someone atm)

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Wasn't Yoshi already on your hate list? i remember you talking about him and then Mario.. unless i'm confusing Yoshi with someone else..

and i can play online as of now if anyone wants to have Palutena Dittos.. (I can also use Zelda, Bowser Jr., and Mario effectively ..) (Though I'm playing someone atm)
Yes, I did, but I hate him more than I already do. Why do my character choices always have to be on the lower half of the tier list (outside of Brawl MK who I dropped)!?
And I'm saying right now my emotions are not at the best today, and is unstable.

EDIT: Add Rob to the list for being cheap too, campy, and spammy.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Cheap. . .?

To quote Vin Diesel: "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning."

The goal is to win. Picking a top tier/high tier gives you more advantages to work with to win.

You can't be mad or call someone "cheap" for trying to win. If you were going to fight someone to death, you can't be mad at the other guy or call him cheap cause he elected to choose a gun and you wanted to try to win with a spoon.

Either outsmart/outplay the person with the spoon or pick a better weapon instead. That's the mind set you need to have.

At the moment, I don't feel Palutena is the "spoon" that's for sure but I'm not sure she's the "gun" either. I see potential here for a really strong tournament character down the line and that's the main reason I'm staying with her right now.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Cheap. . .?

To quote Vin Diesel: "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning."

The goal is to win. Picking a top tier/high tier gives you more advantages to work with to win.

You can't be mad or call someone "cheap" for trying to win. If you were going to fight someone to death, you can't be mad at the other guy or call him cheap cause he elected to choose a gun and you wanted to try to win with a spoon.

Either outsmart/outplay the person with the spoon or pick a better weapon instead. That's the mind set you need to have.

At the moment, I don't feel Palutena is the "spoon" that's for sure but I'm not sure she's the "gun" either. I see potential here for a really strong tournament character down the line and that's the main reason I'm staying with her right now.
I'm afraid my mind cannot be swayed against cheapness and tiers. I will always despise em no matter what. I'm kinda in one of my anger phases and it will take a while to cool off.
If I keep losing to stupid things, that anger will be prolonged, like me losing to a damn spamming Kirby. Stupid cheap jab and D-smash during my bad mood. I'm avoiding him, period.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Hello I am only here to show up that I am still alive, to be honest I don't participate much in the conversation because I prefer to learn the character myself rather than looking up for people to tell me how to play them. (I am not saying you guys/girls are doing that but sometimes reading other people experience can lead you to play like them).

Are your internet running like a charm people??

In my case even when it is running without lag I can feel a difference in the speed, and that have screwed me so many times, I am wondering if you notice a difference in the speed online and offline, because I definetely feel like sometimes I miss or got hit by miliseconds when I could have evaded the attack playing OFFLINE.

So any of you have notice this micro lag??

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Oh no. Pretty much I'm in one of my worst moods for this game yet. I lost to a stupid Yoshi, Rosa, and Kirby in ladder. Rosa I can understand because of tiers, even though I SD'd doing some warp canceling (the circle pad moved me the wrong way) but one of the worst parts is For Glory today. This extreme button lag caused me to lose to a Jiggs of all things, and I had a 100+ win streak going too!
The curse of 2014 is against me again I tell you, and I feel emotionally damaged again. Idk what to do about my suffering atm.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Why is she crying? T-T
I guess being constantly slammed as one of the game's worst (if not the worst) characters can get to you afterwhile.

Not that I feel that way, but a lot of others seem to look down on her very much.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Oh no. Pretty much I'm in one of my worst moods for this game yet. I lost to a stupid Yoshi, Rosa, and Kirby in ladder. Rosa I can understand because of tiers, even though I SD'd doing some warp canceling (the circle pad moved me the wrong way) but one of the worst parts is For Glory today. This extreme button lag caused me to lose to a Jiggs of all things, and I had a 100+ win streak going too!
The curse of 2014 is against me again I tell you, and I feel emotionally damaged again. Idk what to do about my suffering atm.
Maybe you should put down the game a few days, if you are not having fun what is the purpose of playing it?? I am going to be honest I enjoy playing this game mostly offline when I try only to have a nice playing season, like everyone I get frustrated at online sometimes, but nothing that my trusty mate Y%&#i can't handle... I have had limited success with Palutena mainly because of that micro lag, I am still playing like crazy with her.

I guess being constantly slammed as one of the game's worst (if not the worst) characters can get to you afterwhile.

Not that I feel that way, but a lot of others seem to look down on her very much.
This is also why I try to skip reading too much into competitive stuff, people can have opinions but I am not going to let people's oppinions to poison my mind into believing a character suck before I try them myself

Honestly Sakurai let a big flaw pass when he didn't incluide for Glory Battlefield, so people seems to think Little Mac is the character to go on for Glory and I agree to an extend that no plat makes him look way better. I am not claimming he is flawless, my complain is that sometimes I want variety and end up against another Mac...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Maybe you should put down the game a few days, if you are not having fun what is the purpose of playing it?? I am going to be honest I enjoy playing this game mostly offline when I try only to have a nice playing season, like everyone I get frustrated at online sometimes, but nothing that my trusty mate Y%&#i can't handle... I have had limited success with Palutena mainly because of that micro lag, I am still playing like crazy with her.

This is also why I try to skip reading too much into competitive stuff, people can have opinions but I am not going to let people's oppinions to poison my mind into believing a character suck before I try them myself

Honestly Sakurai let a big flaw pass when he didn't incluide for Glory Battlefield, so people seems to think Little Mac is the character to go on for Glory and I agree to an extend that no plat makes him look way better. I am not claimming he is flawless, my complain is that sometimes I want variety and end up against another Mac...
You have a point. I just feel like I push myself too hard like I often do, and that's not healthy. I try to relax, but consider bullies, arrogant jerks (most who use top tiers), tiers, Palutena being bashed for supposedly being a bad character when she isn't, and well, other stuff. All that really hurts me, and it's hard to control it. I could probably relax once I feel better, but it'll take a while.
At least the stream is nice.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So codecs at Palutena's Temple.. hopefully they are a lot better than Fox's and Falco's at Corneria.. (haven't seen the stream yet)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Uprising Smash Taunts on Wii U confirmed!

First thing to do: see if Hades will crash the convo when talking about Ganondorf.

Arrrrgh :4greninja:'d by a second

Last edited:
Top Bottom