• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
yeah and there are more efficient ways to figure that out than playing dittos. playing dittos only makes sense if you have a top/high tier main and even then its probably better to pick a counter (in tournament play)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I really think we're straying from the purpose of the thread here, guys...

Since when do tiers and the like determine the veracity of the character you're playing? I think the fact that we're here supporting Palutena at all suggests that we're open to anything. We're just passionate about the characters we like to play.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Once the thing allows me to contribute again, I will. I currently have 6 points on the thing.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
See here is my thing about match ups. I think both variety matches and ditto matches are indeed important.

Variety matches: It teaches about the rest of the roster. By you fighting against other players, you are learning strategies against those characters. The match up is a battle between: Your Skill + X vs Your Opponent's Skill + Y. X being your character, and Y being theirs (different than yours.) The winner is determined by the player's skill + the character's benefits.

Ditto Matches: This is basically you seeing how you can handle against your own character. These matches separates your skill from your opponent. It also teaches you things that you may not have known about your character. This is not debatable. The equation than turns into: Your Skill + X vs Your Opponent's Skill + X. Same character benefits, different player skills.

Both Matches: Ultimately shapes your own fighting style as a whole. They both teach you what your main can and cannot do.

Overall point, both match ups serve as a learning tool. No match ups are better than the other. They are both equally important. You could fight a highly skilled player (regardless of the match up) and still not learn a single thing by the time the match is over. Or vice versa. Heck, you can fight against a noob player regardless of the match up (but could be more powerful in a ditto match though) and unlock your hidden potential from just something random that noob player did (might not even know what they did.) It is up to the player if they are willing or not to learn from any of their matches.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I have 12 points now. I think I coulda had more, but I had fought this annoying tier-addicted Greninja that made me leave the first game after I won. I think points add up more if you don't leave the game? I don't know how it works.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I have 12 points now. I think I coulda had more, but I had fought this annoying tier-addicted Greninja that made me leave the first game after I won. I think points add up more if you don't leave the game? I don't know how it works.
Bro you shouldn't let things get to you so easily, you need to develop a stronger mindset.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Bro you shouldn't let things get to you so easily, you need to develop a stronger mindset.
I'm just fine, just not the stable type when angered by something.

Ok, it's about time I started posting more vids again. I have more uploading now, but here is one that is already uploaded. This one might change some of your minds about not wanting to use reflect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgpVA4s3NRc
It sounds like a case that we still need some dittos. It'd make me happier to get some positive vids after so long while dealing with corruption elsewhere.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I was testing up air against lucina's counter in the air. It clashes with it and still knocks her out of her counter.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
I was testing up air against lucina's counter in the air. It clashes with it and still knocks her out of her counter.
Wow that's crazy. I suppose you have to hit her with the very start of uair for it to knock lucina out?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So, I think I'm going to move away from Palutena. She's still fun to use. But I'm finding characters more centered around footsies to be a lot funner, mainly :4diddy::4littlemac::4falcon::4falco::4lucario::4miibrawl::4zss:(in that exact order).

So yea. It was fun for the little while it lasted but I'm moving to Diddy.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
So I won small tournament today, using Palutena for the most part.

Very fortunate that happened because I was starting to lose faith. That Greninja matchup is just really REALLY hard work. :<

ZSS on the other hand feels much easier than I initially thought.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well Greninja's cheap anyways, so... Actually I shouldn't rant about it now. Regardless, congrats on your winning. Hopefully it'll help give Palutena some attention. Little by little the game will evolve, and so will the changes be known.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Been looking at the EventHubs SSB4 tier list, and Palutena's been steadily rising
(from like 38th to 31st).

Make of that as you will, but it does seem that Palutena is starting to turn some heads
(helps that customs were allowed in most tourneys).

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The only benefit of Palutena being down there is being able to put the higher tiers to shame when they lose to her. I still don't like the idea of tiers discouraging some ppl to give up on characters due to their low placement. On the other bright side, she'll be uncommon compared to other characters, and not many will know the matchup more than they will others.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Oh my gosh! This is so adorable and funny! Pit is such a kid sometimes. :)

I really love this artist from Miiverse since he draws really funny things.

Anyways, I've decided I'm not going to have Palutena as my main maybe for two reasons.

1. The internet always takes it to extremes with female characters (but this pretty much applies to all characters, regardless of sex / gender).
2. (The main reason) Her attacks feel a bit on the slow side, mainly her smash attacks, so it doesn't really fit my playstyle.

I really did want Palutena as one of my mains, but she just doesn't fit my playstyle.

By the way, where are people putting her on the "supposed" tier lists? Are they ranking her high?

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
By the way, where are people putting her on the "supposed" tier lists? Are they ranking her high?
She was being ranked pretty low (she was "the worst" at one point) but is now rising and is currently 34 on the eventhub maybe low-mid tier there. But i don't trust a democratic tier list based upon opinions.. (Don't see any facts to justify reasoning..)

Also Warp's distance can be shortened much like Zelda's Farore's wind was and is able to from Brawl and was carried over into ssb4

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I've found that the more I play Palutena, the better I become with her. That sounds obliquely redundant, but what I mean to say is that it's just sort of happening naturally. I find that actively trying to improve with her is just inherently perplexing, so I go with what my gut instincts and just take battles as they come. I'm racking up some decent victories so far and I'm sure there's even more for me to figure out!

Changing from Celestial Fireworks to Lightweight was a good choice, I think. I think that giving Palutena some more speed and agility helps her rush down opponetns and get them going in the air, while also enabling her to get out of the fray if the battle becomes too intense for her. I've also taken a shining to poking tactics, letting my opponent come close before tripping them up with d-tilt and, if I have some room to manouver in, dash. It catches people off-guard and works particualrly well on close-range fighters like Captain Falcon and Little Mac. A good balance is important here: rush them down when Lightweight is active and they're trying to sot out their approach, then let them come to you for their inevitable counter-strike and let 'em have it with up-smash and, if they're lose enough, side-smash. She isn't easy to get to grips with my any means, but I'm sticking with Palutena and I have to say, I have yet to reget it.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
So, after a long and sad thought process about who my mains are now that I have the game, I had to rule out Palutena. I expected her to be my secondary, but without much options in her default moveset, tt is hard for me to use her effectively. I will still play her every now and again for fun. but I think i'll stick to Rosie and Robin for competitive stuff.
Okay, i've been changing mains every 10 minutes it seems. Right now my mains are Junior and Palutena. I dropped Rosie due to something just not "Clicking" I think she was too floaty for me. I just played about 20 matches as Palutena in For Glory against a Copy Palutena main, I won about 7/10. The rest of the matches were against someone who is new to smash and were charging attacks thinking I would magically walk into them...

I was wrong about Palutena not having a diverse default moveset.

Reflect is great for pushing enemies back when you have no other good options. Also the obvious use of reflect...

Counter... is a counter, what else

Warp - I was a Zelda main in brawl, and Warp just feels right due to how similar the moves are.

Autoretical - Attacking opponents off-stage while still on-stage

I never knew Palutena's UAir was such a good kill move too

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I still like default palutena, but when I started using super speed and jump glide ... sweet lord, it just opens up so many doors when it comes to approaching and movement. Phenomenal stuff.

Been using her online for conquest purposes but ... how does that work? only once did it say it was a conquest battle.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still like default palutena, but when I started using super speed and jump glide ... sweet lord, it just opens up so many doors when it comes to approaching and movement. Phenomenal stuff.

Been using her online for conquest purposes but ... how does that work? only once did it say it was a conquest battle.
You have to wait fifteen hours after a conquest battle, regardless of results, before trying again.

I also don't like how you're rewarded for supporting the winning character, since it just
encourages players to support the one with an early lead to get free stuff.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
You have to wait fifteen hours after a conquest battle, regardless of results, before trying again.

I also don't like how you're rewarded for supporting the winning character, since it just
encourages players to support the one with an early lead to get free stuff.
Fifteen hours? sweet lord xD

Yea, that's just ... why??

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
If you get knocked away you can always use counter to stop momentum. Its just something I don't see people use. Lucina and Marth can do that to regain momentum I just don't see it used much.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Speaking of this conquest thing, I contributed 24 points to it, but I feel it's too small. If Palutena is to lose, maybe she can at least beat Zelda. :(
I still need to fight Aero though and gather more data. The faster I improve, the better. *feels sad*

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I have 12 points for Palutena, I didn't participate every chance I could though...

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So this was posted in another thread that i've been watching..
Might need to try this for Palutena because of her landing lag from her air dodge..

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So far, I contributed 36 points for Palutena. But even still, it doesn't feel like I have done much.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So far, I contributed 36 points for Palutena. But even still, it doesn't feel like I have done much.
Better than what I was able to do. D:
As long as she beats Zelda perhaps I'll be happier.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The more I play as Palutena the more I realize that she's bad. lol. I'm trying to find a good secondary. Wii Fit. Dark Pit. Lucina.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
*eyetwitch* She's not bad... She's just complex in a defensive way... I kinda get annoyed of ppl saying she's terrible. It's like my fuse gets lit reading it. They're just not used to her style, and I ain't giving up on her, and I should stop ranting before I lose it again.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
*eyetwitch* She's not bad... She's just complex in a defensive way... I kinda get annoyed of ppl saying she's terrible. It's like my fuse gets lit reading it. They're just not used to her style, and I ain't giving up on her, and I should stop ranting before I lose it again.
Or maybe I just suck.

She's still my main. I just need to patch up some match-ups with other characters.

:4duckhunt::4greninja::4kirby::4ness::4peach::rosalina::4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi:

^^^^^
these match-ups to be specific.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
To be honest I haven't had an issue with Rosalina, Yoshi, Greninja, Duck Hunt, or Peach. I have 42 points now but it might not be much.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Admittedly, I haven't been playing as Palutena as much as I want to, it's because of her default moveset, I've seen some people do great things with it, but I just can't get into it. It makes me wish she was an exception when it came to no custom moves online, or at least have a custom moves mode on For Fun. She's a ton of fun with her customs, but I don't dig her default moveset.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
So this was posted in another thread that i've been watching..
Might need to try this for Palutena because of her landing lag from her air dodge..
When I short hopped and air dodged immediately with Palutena, I don't see any landing lag. But then again, I'm VERY new here, Does the cancelling reduce it even more?

andimidna

Smash Master
When I short hopped and air dodged immediately with Palutena, I don't see any landing lag. But then again, I'm VERY new here, Does the cancelling reduce it even more?
Supposedly yea it does
Did you try to shield at landing, thats the easiest way to see the lag
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing all of the landing lag data for aerials including dodging and she had the most common number, the frames seem to be really similar this time. So it's not like she has none (or a lot).
---
Also: people dropping the goddess are laaame :p

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Supposedly yea it does
Did you try to shield at landing, thats the easiest way to see the lag
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing all of the landing lag data for aerials including dodging and she had the most common number, the frames seem to be really similar this time. So it's not like she has none (or a lot).
---
Also: people dropping the goddess are laaame :p
You still have me. D: She'll rise one day and spread the light, you'll see.

Top Bottom