• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mind games

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Define mind games. What exactly are they and how do I accomplish them? Is there a guide for them or what?

Oblivinati

Smash Rookie
Mind games as far as I see it can only be learned through experience, they vary from match to match, character to character, and player to player.

Example: As a King Dedede player, mindgames to me usually consist of either pressuring my foe into a position of prime spacing, making a false opening in my own defense, causing them to rush me and eat a dtilt or fsmash in the face, or reading their actions before they happen, and reacting accordingly.

Hope that helps.

cman

Smash Ace
It is largely trying to trick someone into thinking that you are going to doing a certain action. They then react to what they think you will do, and you punish them for thinking wrong. It is essentially just trying to trick people into a favorable situation.

saviorslegacy

Ah.... kinda thought it was like this. In that case arrow looping is a good mind game. <_<

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
don't know any for pit, but the way it helps me most as a ROB, as knowing when to stall charges, turning away unexpectedly, b turnarounds ect. Basically, staying very agile and fast so that you either lead someone into a trap, or let you're self counter with a new attack.

Denzi

Smash Master
Unfortunately, there's no real way to define them. They can only be learned by facing other humans (not by practicing alone) and through experience.

smaci92

Smash Lord
lol...i really don't know what a mindgame is...but apparently, I am using mindgames even though i don't know it, cause my friends are always like, "OMG! Nice mindgames!" and I'd be like, "um....thanks?"

haha...so someone explain that one...

Smash Master
Mindgames: Using an option not popularly considered the dominant strategy in order to gain advantage over a specific strategy that you predict the opponent will use.

iLink

Smash Champion
Mindgames could be an action that cases your opponent to react in a way you want. A simple example is: You see your opponent spot dodges every time you try a smash attack. You can start a smash attack and charge it just a little so that it would hit them after their dodge ends.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well I find it easier to use anticipation mindgames than I do baiting mindgames, mostly because baiting requires your opponent to actually make a mistake.

Pretty much just try doing this. Just sit there with your character doing whatever it is you do to force an approach, then try to guess when they are going to use a certain attack, move to where the attack cant hit you and then whack them. If you think your opponent is likely to roll run after them and if they panic and roll keep on going and punish the roll with an up smash or dash attack. It all revolves around the simple thought of "what is my opponent going to do in the next couple of seconds and making sure that you are in a position to do something about it.

K 2

Smash Lord
Some simple examples of mindgame techniques are dash shielding, foxtrotting and dashdancing, techchasing, ledgecamping into a ledgehopped aerial, and empty shorthops. Mindgames is all about staying unpredictable and keeping your opponent confused about what you are going to do next. It can also be defined has "conditioning" you opponent into doing something and punishing it horribly.

Some examples:

Everytime you dash at an opponent, you use a dash attack or hyphen smash. You opponent catches on so he shield everytime you dash at him. Then, you start to dashgrab him since he is shielding you attacks. Your opponent then spot dodges everything you dash at him. This is where you want him. You have conditioned him. Dash at your opponent, shield to cancel your dash, wait for his spot dodge to end, and smash him (or whatever you want to do).

If you always do short hopped aerials, change it up and do empty shorthops. Your opponent might be anticipating an attack when you short hop and might commit himself to a counter (marth's and ike's down b), spot dodge, or sheild, which can you punish accordingly

I hope this helps.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I believe Gimpyfish said
There is no such thing as mind games, only variety
in other words mind games is just a silly name given to a variety-filled playstyle that catches your opponent offguard.

bobson

Smash Lord
Mindgames is what it's called when you fsmash five times in a row and the opponent gets hit by the fifth one.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Mindgames are analyzing the patterns that the opponent reacts when the opponent is unsure of your possible movements to your advantage.

saviorslegacy

I get what you are all saying.

This right here is the number one reason why SWF is better than BC. <_<
There a question like this would be deleted or I would get flamed.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I always think of mindgames simply as....
Player A does tactic 1. Eventually, Player B learns to counter tactic 1 by using strategy 1. Player A learns to counter strategy 1 with tactic 2. Player B learns to counter tactic 2 with strategy 2, but tactic 1 punishes strategy 2.

SH-feint vs. SH approach vs. SH airdodge

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Mindgames is taking advantage of every error your opponent makes by setting up a trap.

its simple really...

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Mindgames are analyzing the patterns that the opponent reacts when the opponent is unsure of your possible movements to your advantage.

yeah i agree, ex-say if you normally do ikes triple a combo to your opponent so he does shield to block it. instead this time you do a-a-down smash catching your opponent off guard and pulling off a down smash because his shield is now weakened and exposed at the bottom but he was expecting a triple a-mind game

saviorslegacy

Yes... I did mean BC. I was flamed for asking how to arrow loop. -_-

If people keep on post thier Mind Game techs this might become a sticky. SWF needs a sticky on mind games. If this is the case I probally (with mod permission) make a collection of everyones best post on mind games and put it in the thread post.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Basically it's doing stuff that confuses your opponent. You have to be very unpredictable & tricky.

Being a master of mind games doesn't happen overnight.
Even I'm still working on it.

Denzi

Smash Master
After you hit someone, just yell "Mindgames, son" really loud.

Bam, defined.
I hope that you don't mind me sigging this, because I'm going to.

On topic: Everyone is pretty much right when they say mindgames = variety.

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
Ok. Everybody pretty much hit the nail on the head. But how do you tell if something's a mindgame? If the crowd cheers, laughs, or your opponent shakes his head, it was a mindgame.

Basically, a mindgame is something that makes you want to yell "Oh ****" in appreciation.

saviorslegacy

I have been finding out that an arrow loop and Pits shield piss's the foe off when done at the same time. I freaken a Lucas out earlier by doing this. :D

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
A mindgame is a game within a certain genre of reflex-testing and decision-making puzzles that were created by a Smash player who performed extensive testing on llamas in hopes of making the perfect Nintendo-combat training system. Though the Smasher's name was lost to the anals of time, we have information on his life's work thanks to a brave Smash investigator who gave his life to bring us the information.

Someone "on the inside" recognized the skills that came from training with these "mind games" in a high-level Smash player at a tournament but when he attempted to point out the use of these mnid games, he was quickly murdered by an unkown assassin who wished the secret of mind games to be kept safe. Through a misunderstanding, we now have the current definition of mind games, which actually have nothing to do with the original devices. These devices have played a part in the career of every top-level Smasher from Mew2King to Chu Dat and it is rumored that Ken was the first Smasher to use his "mindgame"-trained skills at a public tourney but it has never been confirmed who the first "mindgamer" was.

It is also believed that the mindgames have more applications than just video games and that Ken is applying his skills in a real-life adventure somewhere on the planet at this very moment. Of course, any professional Smasher who used these mind game devices will deny he ever heard of them, so don't bother asking them.

Top Bottom