• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Milktea talks Awareness, Girl Gamers in new Blog

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Retired competitive Super Smash Brothers Melee player Lilian "Milktea" Chen recently wrote a provocative blog regarding women in the Smash community and how women are treated as a whole in gaming. She goes in depth debunking some of the myths surrounding women gamers like
  • Women who play video games are doing it for attention
  • Women aren't real gamers
  • Respect is just about being good
  • Women should 'just deal with' the attitudes in the fighting game community
  • Attention is always good
Milktea says that she truly believes "in the Super Smash Brothers Melee community’s ability to make large strides regarding female gaming issues. Armed with awareness and a touch of empathy, I am confident that we will begin to witness uninformed behaviors turn into knowledgeable ones. The SSBM scene is at such a dynamic stage in its life, one brimming with both reevaluation and reform. Now is the time to open our arms wider than ever to invite the world to experience our scene at large. I hope that one day our skewed gender ratio will balance itself. Perhaps, with more women in our community, we will even discover a handful of pro female Smashers."

Give her blog a read through to gain perspective and let us know what you think about the issue by posting in the comments here.

Source: Ramblings of a Retired Gamer

D

Deleted member

I'm down for more cute girls at tournaments. About time we had a change. :yeahboi:

Bambi_

King of the Forest
I'm down for more cute girls at tournaments. About time we had a change.
You miss the point. It's not about you. Not everything is about you. It's about the people who can't get into a community because everyone in the community sees them as nothing more than a "cute girl."

D

Deleted member

You miss the point. It's not about you. Not everything is about you. It's about the people who can't get into a community because everyone in the community sees them as nothing more than a "cute girl."
Wow, this sort objectification is literally mentioned in the post. Maybe you should take the time to read it.
I'm joking around. The Shaq face was a little something extra I added in so people would know I'm joking.

Well, addressing it as a serious matter, I think every girl deserves a chance to play Smash Brothers. Every girl should have an equal opportunity to play this game, and it wouldn't be fair to treat them otherwise.

We are a community of diversity, so I see no reason why we shouldn't respect female Smashers.

Also, @ Bambi_ Bambi_ , obviously it's not about me. That would be a very selfish way to think about things.

Last edited by a moderator:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
It's ridiculous that this is even somewhat of an issue. Everyone should be accepted into the Smash community with respect and open arms. I would think that the fact that it's a girl would make it so some would see her as less of a threat(simple-minded people), leaving open a perfect opportunity to prove exactly why she is a threat in the Smash scene. Acceptance is the key. Come on now. Doesn't everyone agree that we should allow the Smash scene to flourish and expand as much as possible?

D

Deleted member

Giving my final thoughts about this, I think we really should have acceptance of Women in our community. This honestly shouldn't have been a problem to begin with, and it's pretty ****ing stupid that it escalated to something like this.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I never knew this was a issue i thought most females weren't into competive smash because they ain't bout dat life. But whatever i'll treat people the same no matter their gender.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Well, I've always thought of women playing video games to be great. Even if I do have objective thoughts from time to time, this is better for the gaming community as a whole. Seriously, there are some very good female players throughout the entire gaming community. The two genders have various different ways of problem-solving, so it's always interesting to see what a female player brings to the table. They have the drive to reach for the top with their passion burning deep within their heart.... My god, that last sentence sounded like something out of an anime. xD

Anyways, great stuff by Milktea for bringing these issues to light.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Wow, this sort objectification is literally mentioned in the post. Maybe you should take the time to read it.
So it's objectification if a guy finds a girl in a tournament cute? He should feel ashamed because he actually wants more cute girls playing Smash?

Cut the white knight BS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So it's objectification if a guy finds a girl in a tournament cute? He should feel ashamed because he actually wants more cute girls playing Smash?

Cut the white knight BS.
Never mind, just read your post lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021

Cut the white knight BS.
It's one thing for a guy to think a girl is cute and if they like each other that's awesome. But its an entirely different thing for a ton of guys to ogle a girl and not leave her alone just because of the sole fact that she is a cute girl gamer. Compliment her all you want, just don't be a creep and make sure to treat her just like any other smash player.

Last edited:

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
i'd love to play a girl in smash, i've been to 2 tourneys and have only seen 2 girls total! but i treated those 2 with respect of course, i think more girls should get into smash, see i'm like goku xD i just wanna play really good opponents, no matter what the gender, so milktea i'm callin you out and challenging you lol jk but srsly this is a serious issue, i play the game to play the game, not to discriminate genders

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
It's one thing for a guy to think a girl is cute and if they like each other that's awesome. But its an entirely different thing for a ton of guys to ogle a girl and not leave her alone just because of the sole fact that she is a cute girl gamer. Compliment her all you want, just don't be a creep and make sure to treat her just like any other smash player.
Bu that's not what he was arguing...

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
People love to bring attention to themselves with topics that have nothing to do with smash. Gay, transgender, sexist, feminist, bronie kids; I really could care less. Quit bringing your personal politics that have nothing to do with smash into smash. I'm 32 years old and established. Identity problems with teens trying to figure life out and pertaining it to smash makes me laugh. The last thing I thought about when I first started playing smash 64 was the farthest thing from sexuality, politics, and wtf other people thought about me.

Vashimus

Smash Master
He didn't clarify that. He jumped on his case about how it's objectification for simply wanting more cute girls. We're opposite sexes. We're going to attracted to each other no matter what, that's no problem. The people who don't care she's a girl, that's fine too. It's the people who are interested in the girl, but go about it the total wrong way that messes everything up for everyone.

If a guy is dressed like a bum, hasn't showered, ogling a girl, and constantly bothering her the whole time she's there (aka being creepy), that's a personal issue. That person just doesn't hang out around women much and doesn't know how to act or behave. Compare that to a relatively cool/handsome guy who is flirting with her, nobody bats an eye.

It's nothing that the Smash community can really do as a collective effort. It's a personal issue those folks needs to improve about themselves.

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

Cut the white knight BS.
but the first thing girls dont want to hear when entering the scene is that they are wanted because of 'sausagefests' or 'because we need more cute girls'

....the thing that they want to hear is the fact they are welcome in a community to play a game they like.

And no, that doesnt mean we are against flirting or whatever; girls will flirt right back if they are interested. the cute girls thing should be an added bonus of trying to get more girls to play, not a driving factor. This isn't saying 'wahhh we dont want scary boys flirting with us', this is bringing up issues of how some female smashers are treated. Just be respectful and show the same amount of respect youd show to any other person.

There have just been incidents that need to be addressed. we cant just say 'well i dont see this happen', 'the smash community would never do that', 'they should get over it', etc
because seriously we are above that as a community.

all im asking personally as a TO and a member of this community is more understanding on the issues of others, and for people to be more sensitive to these issues, even going past just the women in smash issue.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
He didn't clarify that. He jumped on his case about how it's objectification for simply wanting more cute girls. We're opposite sexes. We're going to attracted to each other no matter what, that's no problem. The people who don't care she's a girl, that's fine too. It's the people who are interested in the girl, but go about it the total wrong way that messes everything up for everyone.

If a guy is dressed like a bum, hasn't showered, ogling a girl, and constantly bothering her the whole time she's there (aka being creepy), that's a personal issue. That person just doesn't hang out around women much and doesn't know how to act or behave. Compare that to a relatively cool/handsome guy who is flirting with her, nobody bats an eye.

It's nothing that the Smash community can really do as a collective effort. It's a personal issue those folks needs to improve about themselves.
The point is this. Its perfectly normal to be attracted to the opposite sex. People should know when to act on thoughts and when not to do so. Its manners. It isn't about physical characteristics. It's about manners. Treat others how you would like to be treated, think before you act, and be respectful.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
but the first thing girls dont want to hear when entering the scene is that they are wanted because of 'sausagefests' or 'because we need more cute girls'

....the thing that they want to hear is the fact they are welcome in a community to play a game they like.

And no, that doesnt mean we are against flirting or whatever; girls will flirt right back if they are interested. the cute girls thing should be an added bonus of trying to get more girls to play, not a driving factor. This isn't saying 'wahhh we dont want scary boys flirting with us', this is bringing up issues of how some female smashers are treated. Just be respectful and show the same amount of respect youd show to any other person.

There have just been incidents that need to be addressed. we cant just say 'well i dont see this happen', 'the smash community would never do that', 'they should get over it', etc
because seriously we are above that as a community.

all im asking personally as a TO and a member of this community is more understanding on the issues of others, and for people to be more sensitive to these issues, even going past just the women in smash issue.

I don't care if you have a huge booty like I like and it jiggles in all the right way I will do my best to destroy you at a tournament. You women who have problems with these men need to go address the men in this community and not blanket everyone. Don't bottle it up and write a blog about it later do it on the spot.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

I don't care if you have a huge booty like I like and it jiggles in all the right way I will do my best to destroy you at a tournament. You women who have problems with these men need to go address the men in this community and not blanket everyone. Don't bottle it up and write a blog about it later do it on the spot.
okay?
im not saying anything against playing in tournament or whatever argument you are making?

im just saying there are issues of harassment that have happened that need to be addressed and for people to be more understanding of issues for EVERYONE in the community.

we arent blaming people, we are just asking to band together as a community to make it more welcoming for everyone. im sorry you saw my words as having problem with men in the community.

and im not trying to place the blame on anyone (Sorry for any problematic grammar), im just hoping as a community that we can work out any issues that may exist for the health and prosperity of the community as a whole

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Even though I am the best in the world at gaming, sure I'm a unstoppable force with the combined cells of guys like Ganondorf, Bowser, Mewtwo, but I give a lot of credit to my female cells for making me perfect as well, after all I carry cells of female characters like Sinnoh Champion Cynthia, FE Mia, Zelda, Rosalina, Menardi, GS Mia, and many more, I credit my female character cells equally for my perfection as I do my male character cells, same goes for female gamers, although they must bow before the perfect most powerful female gamer of all, my puppet.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Only if the guys stop staring at females as "sex objects" and start respecting them as fellow smashers, that would make female smashers feel more comfortable w/o looking over their shoulder every second.

:pow:

ZLF Aurora

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5734-1939
>Girl gamer issues

0/10
Didn't even read.
$10 says it's the same **** I'd see on Kotaku at any given moment.

**** off white knights.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Only if the guys stop staring at females as "sex objects" and start respecting them as fellow smashers, that would make female smashers feel more comfortable w/o looking over their shoulder every second.

Another fantastic blanket quote. Yes- all guys at smash events are walking around with raging hard ons waiting for any unsuspecting female player to drop her controller. Are you a guy too? If so you should take your own advice seeing as how all guys see women as sex objects. I think the term "sex objects" goes a little too far with most smashers I've seen. I can say from personal experience I doubt most smashers in their teens have had sex with a woman. Hell I would go as far to say most haven't touched a woman's leg. I'm not saying that is bad either.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
How is it not sexist labeling all male players as sexists?

I don't give a **** who you are girl, guy, black, ********, orange, reptilian

I'll still try to **** u

And if you're offended because I don't say "wreck" or "body", i dont care. I propably spent way more than you did, getting Melee into evo.

churules7

Smash Rookie
Retired competitive Super Smash Brothers Melee player Lilian "Milktea" Chen recently wrote a provocative blog regarding women in the Smash community and how women are treated as a whole in gaming. She goes in depth debunking some of the myths surrounding women gamers like
  • Women who play video games are doing it for attention
  • Women aren't real gamers
  • Respect is just about being good
  • Women should 'just deal with' the attitudes in the fighting game community
  • Attention is always good
Milktea says that she truly believes "in the Super Smash Brothers Melee community’s ability to make large strides regarding female gaming issues. Armed with awareness and a touch of empathy, I am confident that we will begin to witness uninformed behaviors turn into knowledgeable ones. The SSBM scene is at such a dynamic stage in its life, one brimming with both reevaluation and reform. Now is the time to open our arms wider than ever to invite the world to experience our scene at large. I hope that one day our skewed gender ratio will balance itself. Perhaps, with more women in our community, we will even discover a handful of pro female Smashers."

Give her blog a read through to gain perspective and let us know what you think about the issue by posting in the comments here.

Source: Ramblings of a Retired Gamer
Isn't this kinda aged? But either way, the community is going to need girls if we truly want to define Super Smash Bros. Melee as a global scale game

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
The word "****" needs to stop being used in the smash community altogether.
That word alone scares most female gamers in general , and i find it down right stupid when dudes (you know who u are) uses that word outside of the community.

Last edited:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I used to argue with MilkTea_ online about how she was a man just seeking attention... and then I met her IRL.

Its rare to see women do well in the smash community, and even rarer for then to be a part of that community for a long time. I'm happy Lilian stayed around as long as she did.

Hong

The Strongest
A former competitive player from the prairies here.

I had a nice crew going on and wanted to bring them to the rest of the scene and start some tournament touring. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, my companions were subject to creepy advances, lewd skepticism and overall discomforting treatment. Yeah, girls going to a Smash Bros tournament, we expected it. Just were hoping that by ignoring the remarks, people would put it aside and let ability do the talking. I feel rather embarrassed for even subjecting my friends to that experience.

No, I don't want women to get any kind of special treatment. I just want sex, race and class to have no relevance in the way we treat members of our community.

Just my two coins.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
The word "****" needs to stop being used in the smash community altogether.
That word alone scares most female gamers in general , and i find it down right stupid when dudes (you know who u are) uses that word outside of the community.

That word helped bring Melee to where it is today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYW4GuwM1uI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUzse3ANZoc http://youtu.be/Evb-V4--Bsk?t=9s

It's a hype word.

People shouldn't decide how other people talk

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Or we could always just stop bringing attention to this nonsense constantly and just say human beings play video games and leave it at that. All this does is split the mentalities into more pieces and give people more things to worry and complain and fight about. A girl who picks up games just because it's trendy is no different from a guy who picks up games just because it's trendy and they're all easily recognized as posers, the end.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
This discussion is pointless btw. Men are attracted to women. We can't help it. You will always be treated slightly different by us. Just as we will always be treated slightly different by you. If you stop and think of it, we are slightly different by nature. Both physically and mentally.

But you girls are puzzies if you can't handle it. I've danced ballet at the highest level from when I was 9 to 20. I never gave a zhit if anyone assumed I was a homo because a) So what if I was? And b) You shouldn't give 2****s about what anyone thinks of you.

Everyone who would learn of my profession would be like "wow, it's cool that you're a guy and dance ballet". Just as I'd tell a female smasher that I think it's cool to see a female smasher. If you're offended by this, you're missing the point.

We think it's cool because it's rare.
Like a unicorn.

Anyway time to get back on track: men are attracted to you. Some men will try to get romantically/sexually involved with you. Some men won't be able to talk to you because of anxiety. Some men won't give a zhit about you. Some men will want to become friends with you.

And the "sexism" affects us poorly as well. If I'd approach a female smasher asking for some friendlies, she could interprate it as "I wanna have sex with you"

I remember at the last pultti I played a female player in tournament. After the tournament I played some friendlies with her, and I went Mewtwo and later Yoshi. The moment I did, I could read her mind "omg he's going mewtwo against me because i'm a girl". I had been playing mewtwo throughout the weekend in friendlies, and I played yoshi in the teams tournament, but to her I was just a sexist sandbagging.

After that experience and reading this blog, I'm just going to ignore every female smasher.

Top Bottom