• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Milktea talks Awareness, Girl Gamers in new Blog

MechaWave

Smash Champion
So much of this thread is so vomit inducingly misogynistic.

Women in this community are treated like ****. It's simple. When a girl goes to a tournament, they are accosted with harassment and treated as lesser than their male counterparts. They want to go to these tournaments to play a game they enjoy, and instead they get guys fawning over them or acting like they're not viable competitors. They get sexually harassed, they're the butt of jokes that they're forced to deal with, and they're stuck in a room where everyone wants to either kick them out or pull them in so that they can hit on them. That's why none of them go.

And then, when they try to bring it to people's attention that they aren't treated well, it's "I'm not one of them!" "Wait, you can't say that about guys!" "Wait, we're not all like that!" "Well if you didn't take it personally...!" "Well of course we're going to stare at your chest while you're doing bans! We like girls!" And you ****ing don't get it. You're making an instance of oppression about the oppressors' feels rather than the actual bull**** that goes down. If you're even thinking of saying "but sexists are the issue, not guys!" then you have ****ed up priorities when it comes to what's an actual issue here and what should be addressed.

If you feel that a victim complaining about how they are victimized using blanket statements is more of an issue, as much of an issue as, or even in the same realm of issues as the actual victimizing, then you are part of the oppression as you minimize the severity of their issues. You look for any way to invalidate them, all while putting your own agenda of "Make sure everyone knows that I'm one of the good guys!" ahead of the actual problem here: that women face poor treatment at these events.

And if you feel that it's not actually a problem then I dare you to try to step into their shoes. I dare you to try to participate in this community while everyone sees you as an other, or while you get guys checking you out, or you get guys hitting on you, or while people make jokes about your body publicly, or while everyone sees you as worthless for the community. Imagine that happening to you. Then would it be a problem?

Call me a white knight, pass off everything I said as an overreaction, tell me "go back to tumblr." It will only show your ignorance.

PS: To all the guys commenting "I don't care if you're a girl! I still play hard against you!" Great, but you do NOT understand. This isn't "Come show us that you're not sexist" all while failing to tackle the actual issue. It's not about you.
"Waah, I'm a woman! I am being oppressed and sexually harassed because men think I'm pretty! I want to be equal, it's all about me!"

bbbooster

RAINBOW FLOWER MEGA CANNON
"Waah, I'm a woman! I am being oppressed and sexually harassed because men think I'm pretty! I want to be equal, it's all about me!"
if u think this is funny it's not, butt wipe

u wouldnt be singing the same tune if u were a girl
and felt like you couldnt even walk down the street alone comfortably day to day

bbbooster

haha can u imagine if all your actions and credibility rode solely on how good you look? yeah i didnt think so

look at all them ugly ass CEO's runnin the world right now and tell me men get the same treatment

MechaWave

Smash Champion

and felt like you couldnt even walk down the street alone comfortably day to day
You're right, I wouldn't, because I wouldn't be ignorant; more like flattered.. I'm not sure why woman find it so repulsive to be found attractive by other men. What kind of schizophrenic maniac feels threatened by every man on the planet when simply walking down a street? If you don't dress like a *****, then maybe, just maybe, you won't feel like you were hurt by compliments.
haha can u imagine if all your actions and credibility rode solely on how good you look? yeah i didnt think so

look at all them ugly *** CEO's runnin the world right now and tell me men get the same treatment
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what kind of point you're making.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I have seen a few people on streams make really inappropriate jokes concerning women who were playing but they are still far in the minority. The only that I really see is that whenever a women is heard or seen on stream is everyone on stream chat spamming things like "Omg, it's a grill" (myself included). While some of this attention undoubtedly geared toward attraction, most of it stems from women being a rarity in the Smash community. I've watched countless tourney's for 2 years now and have seen probably no more than 20 different girls and I can only name 3 of them who are notable. When a girl is on stream it's almost as if you've encountered a meteor shower. They're rare, few and far between. Anyways, I don't see anything particularly wrong with that because it's true. People will stop making a big deal out of girls appearing in tourneys when there's consistently more than 2 showing up.

bbbooster

You're right, I wouldn't, because I wouldn't be ignorant; more like flattered.. I'm not sure why woman find it so repulsive to be found attractive by other men. What kind of schizophrenic maniac feels threatened by every man on the planet when simply walking down a street? If you don't dress like a *****, then maybe, just maybe, you won't feel like you were hurt by compliments.
yeah u kno that term "****" a whole lot of people like to use here? it's kind of actually a real thing

i should be able to wear whatever i god damn pls thx
i don't tell dudes not to wear their dirty pajamas out because i am polite and everyone should be polite don't you think

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what kind of point you're making.
the point im making is that girls dont have it as easy as you think. you're speaking from a completely unsympathetic perspective and it shows real ugly

MechaWave

Smash Champion
yeah u kno that term "****" a whole lot of people like to use here? it's kind of actually a real thing

i don't tell dudes not to wear their dirty pajamas out because i am polite and everyone should be polite don't you think

the point im making is that girls dont have it as easy as you think. you're speaking from a completely unsympathetic perspective and it shows real ugly
So basically, anything that YOU feel is insulting must insult everyone else, right? In this case: your gender, being a woman. If you're some fat **** wearing a skimpy spaghetti-strapped shirt, then expect to be insulted for being such a cow. Or if you find utters attractive, then good for you. This also applies to men, not only women. Not everyone gets insulted by the word "****," and if you do, you need to get over it. Unless you were actually *****, you have NO entitlement. "Wrecked" is also a term used, we should all feel sympathy for automobiles as well. Save the wrecked cars!

And yes, I'm sure woman have so many problems. So many!

Last edited:

bbbooster

So basically, anything that YOU feel is insulting must insult everyone else, right? In this case: your gender, being a woman.
wtf are you even saying here?
that me being a girl is insulting? hahahahahaha

also if you bothered to read the article im sure you can guess that these are not my own unique issues.

If you're some fat **** wearing a skimpy spaghetti-strapped shirt, then expect to be insulted for being such a cow. Or if you find utters attractive, then good for you. This also applies to men, not only women.
see my comment about CEO's above.

if you dont want to see people just be good to one another you are part of the problem. and it is such a big problem

man this is why i dont internet gdi

Not everyone gets insulted by the word "****," and if you do, you need to get over it. Unless you were actually *****, you have NO entitlement.
i don't need to have been ***** to feel insulted or entitled?????? (the hell????) how the **** is such a traumatic and horrific experience funny? or good slang? at all????

"Wrecked" is also a term used, we should all feel sympathy for automobiles as well. Save the wrecked cars!

And yes, I'm sure woman have so many problems. So many!
aaaand thats my cue bye

(i can't even imagine what that poor lady in the second video is going through, shame on you :( )

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Warning Received
how about instead we grab some dope speakers and blast "21 Bad *******" by Yellow Claw with the sub bass jacked and force all the female smashers to shake dat booty because that's all they're good for, their bodies!

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Al milktea said, was that she wanted to be treated equal, and that she's sick of stereotypes.

All these knights make it sound like, smash players are downright evil to them.

Jekku

Smash Rookie
So you think I went Mewtwo against you because I think you're a bad player? Isn't that more or less what I said I thought you did?
I think there is a difference. Your point was me judging you as a sexist because I am a girl and you played a bad character. Being a girl doesn't automatically mean being a bad player. Being a bad player doesn't automatically mean being a girl. Different things. I just wanted to correct that it had nothing to do with the fact that I am a girl. If I acted rudely or something (which I don't remember), it was most likely me thinking I am a bad player. Or you reading me wrong. I don't blame things on my gender and I did not think anything special about you.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
So much of this thread is so vomit inducingly misogynistic.

Women in this community are treated like ****. It's simple. When a girl goes to a tournament, they are accosted with harassment and treated as lesser than their male counterparts. They want to go to these tournaments to play a game they enjoy, and instead they get guys fawning over them or acting like they're not viable competitors. They get sexually harassed, they're the butt of jokes that they're forced to deal with, and they're stuck in a room where everyone wants to either kick them out or pull them in so that they can hit on them. That's why none of them go.

And then, when they try to bring it to people's attention that they aren't treated well, it's "I'm not one of them!" "Wait, you can't say that about guys!" "Wait, we're not all like that!" "Well if you didn't take it personally...!" "Well of course we're going to stare at your chest while you're doing bans! We like girls!" And you ****ing don't get it. You're making an instance of oppression about the oppressors' feels rather than the actual bull**** that goes down. If you're even thinking of saying "but sexists are the issue, not guys!" then you have ****ed up priorities when it comes to what's an actual issue here and what should be addressed.

If you feel that a victim complaining about how they are victimized using blanket statements is more of an issue, as much of an issue as, or even in the same realm of issues as the actual victimizing, then you are part of the oppression as you minimize the severity of their issues. You look for any way to invalidate them, all while putting your own agenda of "Make sure everyone knows that I'm one of the good guys!" ahead of the actual problem here: that women face poor treatment at these events.

And if you feel that it's not actually a problem then I dare you to try to step into their shoes. I dare you to try to participate in this community while everyone sees you as an other, or while you get guys checking you out, or you get guys hitting on you, or while people make jokes about your body publicly, or while everyone sees you as worthless for the community. Imagine that happening to you. Then would it be a problem?

Call me a white knight, pass off everything I said as an overreaction, tell me "go back to tumblr." It will only show your ignorance.

PS: To all the guys commenting "I don't care if you're a girl! I still play hard against you!" Great, but you do NOT understand. This isn't "Come show us that you're not sexist" all while failing to tackle the actual issue. It's not about you.

You f'ing right it isn't about me. So once again stop using and supporting blanket statements of all men. I'm going to go hard on a girl. Boohoo. I'm a gentleman, I shake hands, I say good game. You will get nothing more or less from me. I DO understand. What you and everyone else who liked your post DO NOT understand is this game isn't just about you. I can't wait until smash 4 comes out and I start going to tournaments again. I really do want to have these discussions in person.

Accelerator

Smash Apprentice
Why do women think that a community should change to accommodate them instead of them adapting or changing themselves to integrate into said community?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
What I like is the fact that people are feeling personally threatened by this article

'Well I didn't do anything/see anything/personally harass a woman in the community SO WHY AM I BEING ATTACKED

This means we can maybe have a good discussion or clarify things more! Yay

Also as Jam and a few others have said, please refrain from devaluing experiences people have dealt with in the community just because you have never seen it/heard of it happening, because you have never done it, or because you think people are "overreacting"
That defeats the purpose of the discussion we are having.

Well
Trying to have
Most of this thread hurts my brain.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
What I like is the fact that people are feeling personally threatened by this article

'Well I didn't do anything/see anything/personally harass a woman in the community SO WHY AM I BEING ATTACKED

This means we can maybe have a good discussion or clarify things more! Yay

Also as Jam and a few others have said, please refrain from devaluing experiences people have dealt with in the community just because you have never seen it/heard of it happening, because you have never done it, or because you think people are "overreacting"
That defeats the purpose of the discussion we are having.

Well
Trying to have
Most of this thread hurts my brain.

I feel like I'm personally being attacked because of the blanket sexist comments towards men. Whatever milk tea has experienced that she describes in her blog and the video I have seen about this subject; I can't help but to want to ask one question. Why didn't she confront these people that made her feel this way? In the video someone linked on page 1 she talks about a comment someone made saying "milktea gets around with falco players". She follows up by saying "yea i've been in the community for years and have dated around". Simple statement. The person who made that falco comment could have been anyone. I chuckled at it. Not because I thought it was funny but because it seemed odd someone spent that much time thinking about the mains of people she has dated. Does that comment really deserve a blog or a youtube google meeting to be broadcasted spending several minutes talking about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

I'm not saying comments towards gays, women, smaller players don't happen. Lets just stop trying to pretend that ranting about this on a smash forum is going to do anything about it. It comes down to how children are raised. You and I are not anyone's parents at a tournament. You can kick people out, band them, give them warnings if you're in a seat to do so but people are going to pop off in hype moments. Those hype moments bring a lot of attention to this game. I'm curious to what the perfect situation for someone like milktea would be at a tournament.

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I feel like I'm personally being attacked because of the blanket sexist comments towards men. Whatever milk tea has experienced that she describes in her blog and the video I have seen about this subject; I can't help but to want to ask one question. Why didn't she confront these people that made her feel this way? In the video someone linked on page 1 she talks about a comment someone made saying "milktea gets around with falco players". She follows up by saying "yea i've been in the community for years and have dated around". Simple statement. The person who made that falco comment could have been anyone. I chuckled at it. Not because I thought it was funny but because it seemed odd someone spent that much time thinking about the mains of people she has dated. Does that comment really deserve a blog or a youtube google meeting to be broadcasted spending several minutes talking about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

I'm not saying comments towards gays, women, smaller players don't happen. Lets just stop trying to pretend that ranting about this on a smash forum is going to do anything about it. It comes down to how children are raised. You and I are not anyone's parents at a tournament. You can kick people out, band them, give them warnings if you're in a seat to do so but people are going to pop off in hype moments. Those hype moments bring a lot of attention to this game. I'm curious to what the perfect situation for someone like milktea would be at a tournament.
its not just you; there are a lot of people who are doing the 'i am personally offended by this blog'

and its not a bad thing; that means something has struck a nerve on both sides and that discussions can start. heck, the fact you are willing to comment on this means that there is place for discussion

as long as you are being a decent and welcoming person to all, there should not be any problem.

and there is 'ranting' going on because people feel something needs to be said. we shouldnt devalue the opinions of others, but welcome the discussion, even if there is disagreement. because that is the point of discussion and debate: to debate an issue in hopes of coming to some sort of understanding

----

both sides on this argument are getting a little testy. we need to remember to stay calm and open to new ideas; not everyone shares a similar way of thinking, so remember that when arguing with people, everyone.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
its not just you; there are a lot of people who are doing the 'i am personally offended by this blog'

and its not a bad thing; that means something has struck a nerve on both sides and that discussions can start. heck, the fact you are willing to comment on this means that there is place for discussion

as long as you are being a decent and welcoming person to all, there should not be any problem.

and there is 'ranting' going on because people feel something needs to be said. we shouldnt devalue the opinions of others, but welcome the discussion, even if there is disagreement. because that is the point of discussion and debate: to debate an issue in hopes of coming to some sort of understanding

----

both sides on this argument are getting a little testy. we need to remember to stay calm and open to new ideas; not everyone shares a similar way of thinking, so remember that when arguing with people, everyone.

In your earlier posts you sort of refer to yourself as a woman. Are you? If you are how old are you and what has been your involvement in the smash scene. You obviously don't have to answer any of those questions. If you did answer I have some more questions for you.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
.......This thread.

It's like dudes holding up a sign saying "No Girls Allowed!" Lmao!

Female gamers are also human, so they shouldn't be treated any different. They won't bite you, unless you asked them to. (If you get what i'm saying)

:pow:

Last edited:

bbbooster

Why do women think that a community should change to accommodate them instead of them adapting or changing themselves to integrate into said community?
because the way it has historically been, it is usually not warm or welcoming. it's not rocket science man we just wanna feel like we can be buds and have fun playing a fkn game and not be seen as some alien or in some cases a blow up doll

milktea talks about all these hoops we have to jump through and theyre all TRUE

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
In your earlier posts you sort of refer to yourself as a woman. Are you? If you are how old are you and what has been your involvement in the smash scene. You obviously don't have to answer any of those questions. If you did answer I have some more questions for you.
Yeah, I've been a part of the smash community since about 2009 or 10 and I have TO'd some Ohio events along with helping other TO's at their events. And feel free to ask away.

Accelerator

Smash Apprentice
because the way it has historically been, it is usually not warm or welcoming. it's not rocket science man we just wanna feel like we can be buds and have fun playing a fkn game and not be seen as some alien or in some cases a blow up doll

Why would I jump through hoops to make someone a bit more comfortable? Why should an entire community jump through hoops to make a few people a bit more comfortable? I think these people trying to join said community should get some thicker skin.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I think there is a difference. Your point was me judging you as a sexist because I am a girl and you played a bad character. Being a girl doesn't automatically mean being a bad player. Being a bad player doesn't automatically mean being a girl. Different things. I just wanted to correct that it had nothing to do with the fact that I am a girl. If I acted rudely or something (which I don't remember), it was most likely me thinking I am a bad player. Or you reading me wrong. I don't blame things on my gender and I did not think anything special about you.
And suddenly I think that being a girl means you're bad?

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
A revelation just came to me.

I was pissed yesterday, cus it seemed like a pointless fight. Then I realised, that the fight is already over. Milktea's artice, this discussion and all the other discussions going on has propably already changed how we'll act around women. There will propably still be a few dikks, but even the best trees got rotten apples.

I think this is the start of something great.

bbbooster

Why would I jump through hoops to make someone a bit more comfortable? Why should an entire community jump through hoops to make a few people a bit more comfortable? I think these people trying to join said community should get some thicker skin.
wait so you think just being a little friendlier is jumping through hoops??? like are u kidding me rn lmao

a few people lol it's only the other half of our species

I think this is the start of something great.
and for the first time in this thread i agree with you nicco

Jekku

Smash Rookie
And suddenly I think that being a girl means you're bad?
Just how long are we continuing this? I just wanted to clear it up for you that your "mind reading" was wrong. I did not think of you as a sexist or anything. That was my whole point. Can't it be enough? >_>
When I tried to explain that it was because I am bad, not because I am a girl, you said: "Isn't that more or less what I said I thought you did?" I admit it is a stupid way to think. Still different. All I wanted to do there was to point out they are different things and had nothing to do with each other, didn't mean to give you a lecture on how I feel you think. I honestly don't care much what you think. What I care though is if someone tries to put words in my mouth (or mind) trying to make me look bad to everyone else without a valid reason. If you want to continue on this subject, pm me here or in fb. Because this is not really giving anything to the actual topic.

Prefecture

Smash Rookie
i should also point out that i had made an effort to stay pretty hidden, lest i get "too much" attention. and no i'm not being arrogant (ok maybe a lil) but hearing about other girls and how many unwanted advances they would get and just all the harrassment i would witness online was horrifying to me. you know, just that little detail keeping me from wanting to go to tournaments or coming here regularly. oh yeah btw im a girl if u couldnt gather
I'm going to go ahead and say it is safe to assume that you do not even bother to think before you post.
You completely agreed with an opposing user's post.

i don't tell dudes not to wear their dirty pajamas out because i am polite

To be honest, you should refrain yourself from posting and allow Ryxis to continue posting in your place.
(While blindly liking all of the user's posts even when they sometimes contain minimal insight.)

You're starting to make a habit out of posting like a pretentious and annoying child.
You choose to defend your ideals by conversing with another user in such a manner?
(In a discussion about equality and friendliness to others.)

I honestly don't care much what you think. What I care though is if someone tries to put words in my mouth (or mind) trying to make me look bad to everyone else without a valid reason.
I am sorry to inform you, but you have already achieved this by making a post containing the phrase "I honestly don't care much what you think" in a discussion.

Accelerator

Smash Apprentice
wait so you think just being a little friendlier is jumping through hoops??? like are u kidding me rn lmao

a few people lol it's only the other half of our species

and for the first time in this thread i agree with you nicco
If a lack of a little friendliness is deterring half the population from entering a community it makes them sound very petty.

bbbooster

I'm going to go ahead and say it is safe to assume that you do not even bother to think before you post.
You completely agreed with an opposing user's post.
that post was not an argument, it was simply my experience for anyone curious to hear from a girl's perspective, since so many people here flat out deny there is any sexism in the first place.

but i would still like to know what post i seemed to have agreed with.

You're starting to make a habit out of posting like a pretentious and annoying child.
You choose to defend your ideals by conversing with another user in such a manner?
(In a discussion about equality and friendliness to others.)
i'm sorry but since when was being angry at some people's belittling of the condition of women in the gaming community being childish and pretentious?
and yeah, you know what? ryxis is stronger than i am when it comes to calmly explaining how awful some people are being. however, since these people don't seem to get his points, and still post pig **** like "wahh im a woman boohoo" that is obviously going to elicit a response from me though my kinder instincts tell me to keep being quiet as has been the norm. and i am sick of that. im sick of hearing people belittle my experiences. somehow a lot of dudes here think they know what women feel and say to get over it and they're being petty and that they should shake their asses bc thats all theyre good for and then wonder why there's only like 1 or 2 at a tournament and why im posting angry ****

also nice job attacking like 2 of the three only females (from what i can tell) on this thread

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Only if the guys stop staring at females as "sex objects" and start respecting them as fellow smashers, that would make female smashers feel more comfortable w/o looking over their shoulder every second.

:pow:
That is so true, that's why i
I still won't be able to see a cute girl and SOLELY view her as a good player.

That's why you wife that chick and make her your rival.
No, you have it all wrong, having a gamer chick as a wife, you should take full advantage and like me, make her the Empress of gaming, then team up with her and beat up on a poor wittle Yoshi while the two of you pick Ganondorf and keep stomping the stupid cpu Yoshi with side A boot attack, then together rule all of gaming as the perfect couple, like me and my chick.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
I got a real enjoyment out of reading this. The article was really well done and I know if I participated in tourney's and I was pitted against a girl, I would do my best to treat her with the same amount of respect as anyone else. Not becuase I was asked to, but because it is the right thing to do.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
everyone saying "white knight" has the IQ of a cucumber

or as one would call it, an IQcumber

We can't help it.
yes u can if you're older than like 6 yrs old lmfao

as a man, let me tell you women what being a woman is like and why my opinions are more important on this matter than yours

speaking as a functioning member of society with better opinions than all of you, this is a bad post

if being this stupid was difficult, there'd be a lot less of you

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Good to see the men in here trying to educate the boys.

So much learning to still be done in Smash and gaming as a whole.

HS-10

Smash Rookie
I really like seeing these types of discussions. It's so interesting to see the point of views of many individuals over an online discourse. Although that is what this discussion will remain, an online discourse. One where we as a community are not face to face. One where it is easy to say anything, more specifically the right thing. We all agree with milk tea. We all want women to be accepted equally as men into the community. That is the general trend I'm seeing on this thread, which is awesome! It should be this way. But what about when it actually comes down to the tournaments? To the smash fests? Will you remember this post when you are entirely focused on smash and winning? I can barely remember what was on reddit's front page today, and I'm on reddit all the time. I will probably forget entirely about this post, probably this comment in a day or so. What this means is that you may think all of this now, but when you are at tourneys, with your buddies playing smash, and there happens to be a girl there as well, the discourse is completely different, and many more factors than just you behind your screen, confortably in the vecinty of your own home come into play. What are your friends doing in this situation? Do you find her attractive? Is she good? Could she use some pointers? "Hey dude that chick over there is pretty hot. Man you shld totally hit on her," your friends say. Do you do it? Do you want to avoid your friends embarrassment? Maybe you just all go hit on her, you know, bring backup. You may have read this general post, but are you remembering this? Probably not. And this is where we see our problem. Based on this thread, it seems that this never happens in the community. Everyone seems to treat girls with respect. But it still happens does it? Why is that? Because this community is huge. This community contains people who couldn't care less about this subject. This community contains people who for whatever reason aren't aware of this, and constantly hit on any girl at tournaments. And unfortunately, we come to the same conclusion for many things. What can we do about it? There are smashers all over the world. Some aren't gonna give one care about what milk tea says. What are you gonna do about it? That is just the consequence of letting anyone into the community. The most horrible person can be destroying smashers out there, doing what milk tea is deeming keeping women out of the community, and on smashboards saying exactly what everyone else is saying. So here's what you can do: if you see something like that go down, between said horrible person and girl, stop the guy. If we're a so called community, then we gotta step up for people trying to also be apart of tiis community. Tell him this is exactly why there are no females in the community. I don't know if milk tea agrees that this is the right thing to do or not, but it's something I would do. If we all did this, weed out all of the intentions to just hit on girls or do any if the things that milktea mentions at tourneys out of the people in our community who do this a lot, I feel that we could bring some change. I feel a lot of times we see said situations go down and we really don't do much, for a variety of reasons. "What will everyone thinking I did that? I dont wanna be a cockblock and stuff, I wanna be a bro. Better just not do it." I probably have been just spitting out redundant statements one after the other and not making any sense, but consider this reader. You are probably a great person who would never do any of this. But it's almost useless now to just to comment on how we need change without bringing change in real life. We can't just ignore the women who try to come into the community but are constantly treated differently. This goes for me too. I probably have ignored the girl being sandbagged during tourneys because she's a girl, and I haven't done anything about it. Again this whole post could be a bunch of crap. But consider this. It's just an idea from a random smash board user.

ZexM

Smash Cadet
As a female I get where she is coming from completely and it is an issue, however I do not think it is entirely the male portion of the community's fault. One of my favorite movies "Mean Girls" (please don't judge me) said it best:

"Ladies! Stop calling each other *******! If you do then the boys will think that its okay to call you ******* too!"

Every now and again I see girls at small local tournaments and some do well and others don't. And then there are the significant others and friends of the female variety who are just there to support. I know this isn't everyone, but most of the time I hear bashing from these girls on the female competitors. They say things like "she's only there for attention" or "only boys play this game". And this is coming from some "serious" gamers. You know the type: the one's to get the Triforce tattooed on themselves, is forever on tumblr and loves yaoi manga. I was talking to one of the female competitors today and asked her if she wanted to practice with me and she said "I don't know, I'm thinking of giving up. I don't want the other girls to say things about me and call me a guy". Girls are literally down playing themselves and holding back their own potential instead of rising to new heights. I'm so happy to see that everyone is on board to make a difference for us girls. Now I just need to see the girls make that same change. At the end of the day the gender doesn't matter, just your skill as a Smasher.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Most girls don't want to be a part of gaming communities; gaming is often viewed as a boy thing. Few girls will be interested in Smash to begin with, and by pushing them away with the use of certain language or by immediately judging their character as people based on their gender leads to even fewer females in Smash/gaming in general. You may ask why it is even important that girls are interested in smash though. The reason is a simple one: girls make up half the population, and by pushing away half of the people who might become smashers we hurt the community in any endeavor to grow or spread into the mainstream.

Top Bottom