• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Pic of the day. There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab.

Sakurai has this to say in the comments:
Some other changes include: -Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge. -Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage.
Hoo boy. Wonder how this will work out competitively.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
Wow, quite a bit of detailed information he's giving us alongside one pic today.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Pic of the day. There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab.

Sakurai has this to say in the comments:
Some other changes include: -Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge. -Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage.
No more stalling on ledges i think? YUS!

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
If anybody is wondering, There was a period of time in brawl were ledge camping was a big problem. People would fall off of an edge and repeatedly sweet spot or just jump back onto it.
The invincibility frames and ledge grabbing frames were too much for the opponent to properly fight back, so the game was easily stalled in this way. This is basically a fix to that and an interesting mixup on ledge grabbing

Also, the above 100% not affecting how ledge controls is an interesting addition. Basically, you won't have to worry about getting back onto stage from the ledge when at high damage like before.

Last edited:
So did Mario have the ledge and Link came in and grabbed it behind him, or did the both head for ledge at the same time and Link won? One could mean that Mario held on too long and was bumped off, while the other means that damage and air time effects who can grab the ledge.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A possible buff to tether recoveries and a possible nerf to ledge camping if I'm understanding this correctly. I'd call this a good update.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
An actually interesting and informative gameplay mechanic update?

To put plainly...Wow. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
"Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage."

...So does this mean that the characters will no longer have a slower "tired animation" getting-up attack?

Not sure what to think of these gameplay changes. But I'm curious.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Whoa! Interesting stuff!

Although I don't know if this assists edge-guarding or not. Probably helps the one recovering as now theres an option to steal the ledge if there isn't invincibility.

But what does he mean determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge? Do you increase the amount of invincibility you have after spending more time in the air? And does higher damage mean longer invincibility. It will certainly change up the off stage game. I'd say it's to remove early percent kills, or at least make them more a factor of skill. Instead of just chaining off the ledge and getting your opponent in a zone where they can't recover without a ledge-grab, you may need to push them out farther. Characters like Fox may benefit.

And the whole no damage effect on the ledge grab sounds positive, where you probably can do an attack with ease. I kind of dig how he's even addressing this, knowing us hardcore players actually care about it. It's too soon to make a judgement call whether this will stunt competitive play but ah fooey I think it'll be just fine

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
This has potential to be great; Sakurai actually mixing things up and adding to the ledge game in a manner that doesn't condone camping and increases competitiveness? Talk about a pipedream.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Wow this is pretty cool maybe you can attack while holding onto the ledge like a back air on the ledge or something. Also you would need to time edge grabs pretty well in order to have enough invincibility. Probably like a double jump to up-b ledge grab will get you enough invincibility frames. I like the removal of the 100% ledge get ups. Those were not very helpful to someone at high percents in retrospect.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what Sakurai means by "Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage." Did something happen in Brawl when you got to 100? I don't remember anything like that.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think the air-time thing means that someone who's been in the air trying to recover for a while will have more invincibility than someone who just drops down onto the ledge to steal it.

PWN3

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know what Sakurai means by "Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage." Did something happen in Brawl when you got to 100? I don't remember anything like that.
Rolling animation was slightly extended, and your ledge attack was different. Same thing in Melee and even Smash 64 if memory serves.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Basically your get up from the ledge was slower, and if you attacked it left you open to get knocked right back off.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Also, if this means that an opponent that repeatedly grabs the edge or is at a high percent has less invincibility frames, then Down tilts (especially Marth's) have just become a lot more viable. I wonder if an edge guard into falling off and grabbing the ledge will trump your edge grab over the other person's?

Last edited:

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
This is..interesting. No more ledge camping, so yay to that, but I wonder how all of the mechanics will work out.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
One thing certain is it'll change how the game is played. New techniques will need to be made to edgegaurd, but that doesn't anger me. In fact I get giddy excitement on new techniques and tactics.

Certainly won't be another melee, but I'm excited for it.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Why would you all think you get MORE invulnerability for spending more time in the air? Does anyone think of things like planking? The planker would essentially have long periods of invulnerability, unless it resets on ledge grab. It would just make more sense in a competitive nature to reduce the invulnerability on a ledge the longer spent in the air and the more percentage you have.

jjacobsnd5

Smash Rookie
Hey I just had to sign up to smash boards because of this...I don't know if I'm just tired or what, but I can't seem to understand what this means. Can someone explain the implications of all this?

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I see, thanks guys I never knew that. Looks like Sakurai is really trying to make changes to make the game more fast paced and competitive. I am pleasantly surprised with today's update, I think I am more happy than if we got a character today.

Cassio

Smash Master
This is my guess:
1. Air time is recorded in smash iirc. Its a stat at the end of the game. So assuming he wants to make it harder to stay offstage, the longer youre hanging on the ledge or being juggled etc. The shorter your ledge invicibility. Think ROB's recovery, which regenerates gradually as hes on the ground.

2. Regarding damage, assume you get killed and come back to your opponent being at a higher percent. You knock him offstage, and go for the edgehog. Since youre at a lower percent, you have greater invincibility to play with for edge hogging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom