• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
The star cursor on the move is a neat detail. With Sakurai referring to shaking the Wii Remote, I'd assume this could be the same move as Mario uses in Galaxy, which also had an effect of drawing items near you, such as shells.

It seems the move is inspired by:
- The cursor that can grab Star Bits in Super Mario Galaxy
- The spinning move that could be used to attract items

So basically, Rosalina is using the spinning attack and the cursor at the same time. I wonder if this attack can deal physical damage, though. The spin attack could damage enemies originally, after all.
I don't think Rosalina actually spins. Take a look at her intro video (@ minute 2:06):

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To all the people complaining, I think we've had maybe 4 or 5 interesting Monday updates since the site opened and two of those were last week and the week before. Monday has by far been the weakest day for good updates and to expect much more in a typical week is, just that, expecting too much.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So i hear Earthbound is coming out on VC in japan come march apparently. So...Ness for march? :)

I believe the game was released worldwide last June?

Anyway, I can't wait for a pointless screenshot tomorrow: at least people who are complaining will be thrown back on earth again.

The update looks neat though, gotta dig the star cursor as well. Hopefully it's a good deflector so the move's not useless outside of item shenanigans.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I actually like this update, as it provides some more info on moves. I still have no clue what I'm going to do with her once the game releases...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Show us Wii Fit Trainer's missing two special moves already.
I believe you mean one. She has a Special Move to spawn a Luma, which is probably her neutral special.

Side special is to send the Luma to a distance and down special is the deflector. That means I've guessed the inputs for these specials too (though I think they were a bit obvious).

Derp--I thought you meant Rosalina. I read it again and I realized you were talking about WFT... >_>

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Cool, so we basically know some more info and the name to the gravity move:

Wondering if a player stands in the path of the deflected FLUDD's attack they'll get pushed away. Oh man, what if multiple Rosalinas stand next to each other and the first one deflects FLUDD's attack. Would we see the water stream jump from Rosalina to Rosalina? Or perhaps another Rosalina can't deflect a move that was previously gravity pulled? Interesting...

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Ug Rosalina your down special looks bad.
Then again meta knight had a bad down special.

Although shiek had the worst down special in smash.

Last edited:

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
I think by disabling weapons, Sakurai means that items that do things when thrown like pokeballs and x-bombs will be deactivated and ready to pick up and throw again.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So little appreciation in here. :( Especially when the last three pics before today's were all very interesting.

No other game developers do things like this for their fans, so I'm appreciative for anything. Besides, for every less-interesting thing they show, it means there's a higher probability of something new being shown next time.

Also: Yay no bullcrap motion controls!
Well, I mean, good game developers do. Bungie holds weekly mail sacks and releases podcasts, riot treats their subreddit like a second forum, Gearbox made a special claptrap animation for a wedding.

Holding this blog is right up there though. It's one of the reasons I really respect Sakurai and his team.

also, that's not how probability/statistics works xD

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Well, I mean, good game developers do. Bungie holds weekly mail sacks and releases podcasts, riot treats their subreddit like a second forum, Gearbox made a special claptrap animation for a wedding.

Holding this blog is right up there though. It's one of the reasons I really respect Sakurai and his team.

Where can I learn how statistics work? And the history behind them? I like the world of math even if I am stupid.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
So, I think we can all agree that for every item disabled in competitive play, we hard nerf Rosalina, yes? Maybe something to think about, Rosie-mains...

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729

Good game devs definitely provide similar services, but not not nearly to this extend. Near-daily pictures with frequent bits of new information mixed with occasional big updates during development over the timespan of many many months: THAT is completely unmatched.

And yeah, don't think literally about the probability thing lol :p Point being, they're not going to give up nothing but cool new stuff, but at the same time they're not going to give us nothing but uninteresting stuff!

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So little appreciation in here. :( Especially when the last three pics before today's were all very interesting.

No other game developers do things like this for their fans, so I'm appreciative for anything. Besides, for every less-interesting thing they show, it means there's a higher probability of something new being shown next time.

Also: Yay no bullcrap motion controls!
So what you're saying is that you're proud of blindly liking everything posted without a single actual thought like a drone? Okay then, whatever floats your boat.

Just because no other developer does his or is known for doing it does not automatically give him a free pass nor does it void anything from possibly being uninteresting and boring for anyone else. If anything, it's because hardly anyone else does this that he should do a better job of making it seem actually interesting outside of the "loldiscutemesharegetlikes" mentality that's similar to that of a site like Facebook.

In short: So he's the only one really doing something this right now. Who cares?

If people feel that something is boring, then that's what they feel. C'mon, you know how we people work. No one can please all of us. Regardless of whatever kind of group we may be in, the human race is not a hive-mind.

Especially not on the internet.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Honestly it seems like a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario to the logical extreme. If they show too much, there's not much to look forward to as far as "discovery" goes. If they show to little, the fanbase will rip itself apart consistently until a trickle of info/gameplay is revealed (coughSmashspeculationinanutshellcough). And that's not even getting into post-release communication between devs and fans. I've been a part of many a community where the devs being really close/listening to the biggest "fans" (and I use that term loosely. Pretty much whoever had the loudest voice/complained the most) basically ruined the game/series (via patches/sequels respectively).

I miss the days when consumers would just sell us their idea of a good product without such need/reliance on our input. If we liked it, good for them, everybody wins. If we didn't, tough, better luck next time, etc.

Last edited:

pitthekit

Smash Ace
So, I think we can all agree that for every item disabled in competitive play, we hard nerf Rosalina, yes? Maybe something to think about, Rosie-mains...
Hard nerf? Zero suit Samus can only do her down b footstool jump on items or organisms. Lucarios down b sucked and he is meh.

Just saying items in competitive play is foolish- adding a random element to a match that is meant to prove who the more skilled player is.

Only character spawned items should be allowed as diddly can summon a banana near him at will.

So we can just use Rosalinas seemingly godly ground game.

Only friendly matches should let the fun random items in play as I get better feelings from playing without items on competitive matches.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Honestly it seems like a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario to the logical extreme. If they show too much, there's not much to look forward to as far as "discovery" goes. If they show to little, the fanbase will rip itself apart consistently until a trickle of info/gameplay is revealed (coughSmashspeculationinanutshellcough). And that's not even getting into post-release communication between devs and fans. I've been apart of many a community where the devs being really close/listening to the biggest "fans" (and I use that term loosely. Pretty much whoever had the loudest voice/complained the most) basically ruined the game/series (via patches/sequels respectively).

I miss the days when consumers would just sell us their idea of a good product without such need/reliance on our input. If we liked it, good for them, everybody wins. If we didn't, tough, better luck next time, etc.
Bolded part is the Sonic series prior to 2009 in a nutshell. lol

This is pretty much the same thing I was thinking too, so I agree with this.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
So what you're saying is that you're proud of blindly liking everything posted without a single actual thought like a drone? Okay then, whatever floats your boat.

Just because no other developer does his or is known for doing it does not automatically give him a free pass nor does it void anything from possibly being uninteresting and boring for anyone else. If anything, it's because hardly anyone else does this that he should do a better job of making it seem actually interesting outside of the "loldiscutemesharegetlikes" mentality that's similar to that of a site like Facebook.

In short: So he's the only one really doing something this right now. Who cares?

If people feel that something is boring, then that's what they feel. C'mon, you know how we people work. No one can please all of us. Regardless of whatever kind of group we may be in, the human race is not a hive-mind.

Especially not on the internet.
You put words in my mouth, I never said I blindly liked everything posted. Like most people, I look forward to interesting and new content from the daily pictures. Of course, that hope is going to be let down occasionally, and that's just how it goes. It's unreasonable to ask for something completely new every day, and you know that. I was trying to convey that people are becoming self-deserving and spoiled rather than having appreciation for Sakurai's efforts and that we're getting any content at all. We should be happy for what we get, rather than upset with what we don't - but I guess that's just a lesson that people need to learn in the real world.

Also, who cares? A lot of people, including myself, care. We don't care that he's the only one doing it, we care that he is doing it.

I understand that we can't all be pleased with every post, but it isn't very difficult to convey your thoughts as "I was disappointment with the last few pictures" rather than something like "**** Sakurai for not giving us new content"*

(* yes, this is a hyperbole)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You put words in my mouth, I never said I blindly liked everything posted. Like most people, I look forward to interesting and new content from the daily pictures. Of course, that hope is going to be let down occasionally, and that's just how it goes. It's unreasonable to ask for something completely new every day, and you know that. I was trying to convey that people are becoming self-deserving and spoiledrather than having appreciation for Sakurai's efforts and that we're getting any content at all. We should be happy for what we get, rather than upset with what we don't - but I guess that's just a lesson that people need to learn in the real world.

Also, who cares? A lot of people, including myself, care. We don't care that he's the only one doing it, we care that he is doing it.

I understand that we can't all be pleased with every post, but it isn't very difficult to convey your thoughts as "I was disappointment with the last few pictures" rather than something like "**** Sakurai for not giving us new content"*

(* yes, this is a hyperbole)
If that's how they feel, then that's how they feel and they're allowed to convey it that way. They don't have to be on the appreciative side like you or be in the middle road like me. If they feel what they got was crap or amounted to nothing, then of course they'll make a rather displeased statement about it.

Sure, it's surprising that he's doing it to begin with when he doesn't have to, but that's just it, he doesn't have to. At the same time, nobody asked him to start doing it beforehand, either. He may not be obligated to put out anything that anyone wants, but no one is obligated to be impressed and appreciative for absolutely anything and everything he puts out, either.

It's a two-way street. You being mad at them for being mad at him isn't really any different.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Anywho, who's thinking that Rosawill be the next MK? -_-

Just joking, the move looks really sweet! (Or heavy... get it? Gravity and... oh never mind.)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Anywho, who's thinking that Rosawill be the next MK? -_-

Just joking, the move looks really sweet! (Or heavy... get it? Gravity and... oh never mind.)
I think you underestimate the gravity of the situation. Haha

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even if items are disabled, the Star Barrier can potentially redirect energy-based attacks, considering that it can redirect the water that F.L.U.D.D. fired. This could mean that Fox users who like to spam Blaster will not get anywhere at all against Rosalina, unless they go for the more direct approach; the lasers would simply go around the barrier.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Don't forget Mega Man's metal blade. Rosalina is gonna tear him up.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Don't forget Mega Man's metal blade. Rosalina is gonna tear him up.
oh crap... this is a good point. Megaman has like 4 different projectiles that wouldn't help too much against her (in theory... we'll see how this move actually works out)

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Whenever I see Mario's FLUDD, I cringe. I mean, I hated it so much in Brawl. I'm begging that it gets buffed somehow (*coughmultiplenozzlesyeahright)

For the love of Arceus at least make it do damage. I don't even see another Sunshine game in the future so the move itself feels out of place.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Whenever I see Mario's FLUDD, I cringe. I mean, I hated it so much in Brawl. I'm begging that it gets buffed somehow (*coughmultiplenozzlesyeahright)

For the love of Arceus at least make it do damage. I don't even see another Sunshine game in the future so the move itself feels out of place.
Give it godly knock back for a great edge guarding tool.... Or make his down b one of the fludds upgrades.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Ah Speculating, on smashboards, and creating awesome original retro music. Amazing

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
You people are really a fickle self intitled bunch.

Still don't understand how you all can keep complaining about a luxury we clearly don't deserve.

What other game developer does this?

Morbi

Scavenger

Still don't understand how you all can keep complaining about a luxury we clearly don't deserve.

What other developers release news about their games? I don't know... one might assume... all of them? :rolleyes:

Oh you mean releasing screen-shots with out-dated news... wait... isn't that... most of them? :urg:

Sakurai promoting his game is... a luxury to us? What the ****? :facepalm:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

...What's wrong with "original retro music"? I think it's a great idea, there have been many of chiptune music that I've enjoyed. From VVVVVV to Myth, from the 80's to the 90's. There has just been a certain charm to it that I love.
But why is there a problem? So what if I like music that comes from an NES, or even a Commodore. I mean heaven forbid that I like a genre of music that comes from the 80's. Why can't I like the music I do? Because it's too artificial?

Pikajew said:
lol its becuse you musc is nto advnce enogh, you shold lisen to moe bettr musc lulz
So? look at the music today, autotune, synthesizers (not that I have a problem), it's pretty much just as "artificial" as video game music. But at least I know there's actual talent put into this music you call "ancient".
And before you call me a "nerd", I'll have you know I'm proud to be one, being able to stump others with random game logic. So while you listen to your "more advanced" music, I'll be laughing while listening to "pointless techno music"...
:troll: Sorry, I saw the position of the post and just had to.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Honesty, my issue is not so much that people didn't like the screenshot, that's perfectly fine and acceptable. I just find some of the reactions kind of silly as people expressed some hostility about it which I just find a little funny over something relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Mostly the fact that we've had pictures of even less meaning where the reaction was not as harsh at the time only seemed to occure after we actually started receiving useful information then went back to less useful which does happen from time to time.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Logic is sooooooo linear. I mean if you always pick the most logical choice then you will be sooooo predicable. Technology is soooooo powerfully.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
...What's wrong with "original retro music"? I think it's a great idea, there have been many of chiptune music that I've enjoyed. From VVVVVV to Myth, from the 80's to the 90's. There has just been a certain charm to it that I love.
But why is there a problem? So what if I like music that comes from an NES, or even a Commodore. I mean heaven forbid that I like a genre of music that comes from the 80's. Why can't I like the music I do? Because it's too artificial?

So? look at the music today, autotune, synthesizers (not that I have a problem), it's pretty much just as "artificial" as video game music. But at least I know there's actual talent put into this music you call "ancient".
And before you call me a "nerd", I'll have you know I'm proud to be one, being able to stump others with random game logic. So while you listen to your "more advanced" music, I'll be laughing while listening to "pointless techno music"...
Sorry, I saw the placement of the post and just had to...
Also there is the nostalgia of the 8-bit ages, where people heard their first videogame music. Legend of Zelda theme, Metroid Theme, Mario Themes all came from the 8-bit era, and people are bound to listen to their childhood in a new way. So thank you!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Also there is the nostalgia of the 8-bit ages, where people heard their first videogame music. Legend of Zelda theme, Metroid Theme, Mario Themes all came from the 8-bit era, and people are bound to listen to their childhood in a new way. So thank you!
Exactly!

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
What other developers release news about their games? I don't know... one might assume... all of them? :rolleyes:

Oh you mean releasing screen-shots with out-dated news... wait... isn't that... most of them? :urg:

Sakurai promoting his game is... a luxury to us? What the ****? :facepalm:
You really are a depressed lonely person if you cannot find the joy in any of these pictures

And find a developer that releases daily content you miserable ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom