• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If the image on the Japanese E-Shop really is the starting roster we're probably done with character reveals. That's a bit of a sad thought honestly, especially since we're still 2 weeks away from getting the full roster. Still, it's hardly as bad as Brawl's almost 3 months drought that Olimar had to break because of the delay..

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
If the image on the Japanese E-Shop really is the starting roster we're probably done with character reveals. That's a bit of a sad thought honestly, especially since we're still 2 weeks away from getting the full roster. Still, it's hardly as bad as Brawl's almost 3 months drought that Olimar had to break because of the delay..
I dunno. When Sakurai streamed the Robin trailer, he later said that "We are now nearing the bottom of the pile for reveal trailers." Yet we've only gotten Shulk's trailer since then. Unless they did a bad translation of Sakurai's words, his phrasing still leads me to believe he hasn't shown them all yet. Also, something tells me Sakurai himself would confirm whether or not he has shown all the trailers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
... did they seriously make Wario an unlockable character?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why wouldn't they? I don't see the problem with him being unlockable, really.
I just see it as pointless, especially if you have the likes of Toon Link and Luigi available from the get-go. The only upside to this is that it can give people some hope that Lucas and the Ice Climbers aren't completely gone.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Guess the leak is real. So did the hype train slow down or speed up?
I think it's just mid speed at the moment. There's alot of belief in the leaked roster now with who's left to be properly exposed, whilst there's high speculation amongst the majority that there's still more hidden characters left, since the various sources back the claim that the leaker hadn't unlocked All-Star mode yet.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
That roster is no way the starting roster.

You need to advertize your game well, and to show your starting roster with all your third parties locked is rediculous.

Thats prolly just the CSS of the build at E3.

Even if it isnt, Wario prolly is taking Luigi's place as the first unlockable character.

And he can still be an announced Veteran in the next two weeks

Last edited:

Simensis

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai said:
He's not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series
Would like to know what Sakurai means with this.
It means not many human characters? RPG ones? Sword wielding ones (seriously doubt it)?
Your guesses?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
So... how bout them sexy male costumes?

Although, honestly, those sandals Shulk wears in his swimming costume are not that sexy. They look kinda like Crocs.
Would like to know what Sakurai means with this.
It means not many human characters? RPG ones? Sword wielding ones (seriously doubt it)?
Your guesses?
Well... Shulk is from

1. A relatively low selling series (although the game had a limited run and sold out, so its sales potential was probably higher)
2. A hardcore JRPG - including mature themes, an expansive story, very long playtime, complicated RPG mechanics
3. Its art style is less cartoony than most games in Smash

I think it's the combination of the three. Fire Emblem is also an RPG with complicated mechanics though... The art style factor comes in there - I think he's more like Snake and Samus in that regard.

Last edited:

pickle962

Smash Lord
Let's see, roughly 36 of the 38 characters we know of thus far are playable from the get go. Lucina, Miis, and two other characters I can't properly think of are not on that starting roster curiously enough... oh and weegee is FINALLY a starter for once which I strongly suspected he was for a while following his reveal.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
That's stupid. Why would Toon Link be a starter? He makes more sense as an unlock able. There is no good reason for him not be an unlockable.

Ah well, it's just a starting roster, nothing to get too worked up over.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Let's see, roughly 34 of the 38 characters we know of thus far are playable from the get go. Lucina, Miis, and two other characters I can't properly think of are not on that starting roster curiously enough... oh and weegee is FINALLY a starter for once which I strongly suspected he was for a while following his reveal.

There are 36 characters on that screen, so it's only missing Lucina and the Mii Fighters.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if some of the characters on that screen are not starters (especially the 3rd party characters).

I have also wondered if perhaps the starting rosters will be different on the 3DS vs. the Wii U. The Wii U version has no motivation to base its starting roster on who's revealed, since the full roster will be revealed months before it launches. So they could change it up a little bit if they wanted.

ALSO it still makes no sense to me why they would place the clone characters between WFT and Shulk. Shulk is obviously not a clone. Why wouldn't clones go next to 3rd parties or even after 3rd parties?!

Last edited:

pickle962

Smash Lord
There are 36 characters on that screen, so it's only missing Lucina and the Mii Fighters.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if some of the characters on that screen are not starters (especially the 3rd party characters).

I have also wondered if perhaps the starting rosters will be different on the 3DS vs. the Wii U. The Wii U version has no motivation to base its starting roster on who's revealed, since the full roster will be revealed months before it launches. So they could change it up a little bit if they wanted.

ALSO it still makes no sense to me why they would place the clone characters between WFT and Shulk. Shulk is obviously not a clone. Why wouldn't clones go next to 3rd parties or even after 3rd parties?!
The leak isn't 100 percent legit?

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Oh, nice find. That definitely means the reveals are done. Seems like a good mix of starting characters. Good thing the 3rd party characters are available right away, always thought it was weird how they advertised Snake and Sonic on the back cover of Brawl without actually being able to play them for a while.

At least 12 characters to unlock, I hope the requirements aren't too crazy this time around, especially with no easy way to unlock them all like Brawl had with SSE.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

Also, why's Shulk next to the third parties? He's closer to Nintendo than Pokemon!

pickle962

Smash Lord
Also, why's Shulk next to the third parties? He's closer to Nintendo than Pokemon!
My guess is that Shulk's an exotic flavor if you will, so while Nintendo does more or less own the company who made his game, not many people are terribly aware of him as XenoBlade had a "limited" run when it was released here in the states a few years back.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
My guess is that Shulk's an exotic flavor if you will, so while Nintendo does more or less own the company who made his game, not many people are terribly aware of him as XenoBlade had a "limited" run when it was released here in the states a few years back.
This. Sakurai himself said on Shulk's PotD that they had a hard time trying to bring Shulk into the game, but it paid off. I don't know if that has to do with getting permission to use him, or if he had a tough moveset to figure out, or how to fit him into the game, etc.

I guess they wanna try to promote Shulk's game the same way they promoted Fire Emblem in Melee. Except this time, some of us know who Shulk is. :p

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The leak isn't 100 percent legit?
Are you asking me if that's what I think, or suggesting it as an explanation for the strange CSS arrangement? We've gotten confirmation that the revealed characters (except Lucina) appear in that order... The only thing that could be fake is the placement of the clones. That seems doubtful though. It is still strange and if that's the final roster then I think Sakurai did a bad job of arranging the CSS.

But it could also be that there are more characters that will cause characters to move around a little bit for the full roster... which doesn't mean that the leak isn't legit.
This. Sakurai himself said on Shulk's PotD that they had a hard time trying to bring Shulk into the game, but it paid off. I don't know if that has to do with getting permission to use him, or if he had a tough moveset to figure out, or how to fit him into the game, etc.
Shulk belongs to Nintendo. He would have no more trouble with him than he'd have with any other Nintendo owned character, unless Monolith Soft, for some unknown reason, was strangely resistant. But even that would be a strange reason to place him there.

Move set complexity has no bearing on CSS placement for any character in any Smash game. He'd be the only one.

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Why are people so confused why he's with the 3rd parties? I mean, who else would you place right there? Is there a decidedly better place to put him? Did you expect some solid black line separating him from the rest of the row?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Why are people so confused why he's with the 3rd parties? I mean, who else would you place right there? Is there a decidedly better place to put him? Did you expect some solid black line separating him from the rest of the row?
Place him after WFT and before Dr. Mario. Simple enough. He's from a single-rep series, he's not a clone, he's not a 3rd party, so why isn't he placed with the other Nintendo single-rep series characters?

It's really not that hard to figure out that he's not a clone nor a 3rd party. Why do you find that his placement makes sense?

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Place him after WFT and before Dr. Mario. Simple enough. He's from a single-rep series, he's not a clone, he's not a 3rd party, so why isn't he placed with the other Nintendo single-rep series characters?

It's really not that hard to figure out that he's not a clone nor a 3rd party. Why do you find that his placement makes sense?
There's not really any empty space in any of the other rows. If you put him with Wii Fit Trainer and what not, another character has to move to where he was.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
There's not really any empty space in any of the other rows. If you put him with Wii Fit Trainer and what not, another character has to move to where he was.
There's room for another character on that row, actually.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
There's room for another character on that row, actually.
I think we're looking at different images here. Are you talking about the leak? Because the one I see has every single square filled on all the rows except the bottom one.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think we're looking at different images here. Are you talking about the leak? Because the one I see has every single square filled on all the rows except the bottom one.
Yes, I'm talking about the leak.

The image you're probably talking about doesn't show the full roster.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Neither does the leak. All star hadn't been unlocked yet.
Whether the leak has the full roster or not is precisely what is being debated :facepalm:

My point was that Shulk being between the clones and the 3rd parties doesn't make sense. If the leak has the full roster, then his placement is weird. Basically my whole point was saying that the leak doesn't look like it's the full roster. Jeez.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Whether the leak has the full roster or not is precisely what is being debated :facepalm:

My point was that Shulk being between the clones and the 3rd parties doesn't make sense. If the leak has the full roster, then his placement is weird. Basically my whole point was saying that the leak doesn't look like it's the full roster. Jeez.
Whats more odd is why Yoshi is in between Rosalina and BJ, Why not near Wario?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
So basically, I expect a filler pic on Monday with some new music updates, probably Xenoblade related. Personally, I'd love to see the remixed Gaur Plain theme as a sample.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I was expecting music today, but we got lots of other site updates instead. Hopefully racks will return Monday! Aside from that, I expect further Shulk discussion.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well yeah, maybe Wario will be revealed in September or maybe he's unlockable. But yeah, why would they show this off if it isn't the starting roster I guess? You can already view all the characters on the site so I doubt they'd make this just to show off characters.

But yeah! Lots of ya said I was silly for thinkin Luigi, Lucario, and Toon Link would be starters! Now who's the silly one? :108: Anyway, I'm glad the team has decided to make 3rd parties starters this time, as I suggested~ I mean, they're no secret anyway. Kiiinda surprised to see Lucina is an unlockable though...

Also Rosalina being separated from the other Mario reps by Yoshi repping him/herself? Guess that'll be fixed as you unlock people and finalize the roster. Really glad the leaker didn't unlock everyone when he/she showed off all that stuff. At least there's some surprises in store. I'll blame the leaker, but for some reason Shulk's trailer couldn't get me hype at all. Nice to see an explosion of stages and final destination version of stages including past ones though!

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Weird to see that the 3rd parties and Luigi are default, didn't Sakurai say himself that Luigi would still be unlockable?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Weird to see that the 3rd parties and Luigi are default, didn't Sakurai say himself that Luigi would still be unlockable?
Nah, he just said that they have never revealed Luigi pre-release before, but since it was the Year of Luigi why not? Some people took that as his reveal being an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom