• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I'm very glad Sakurai clarified Lucina's role to end the debate (though I'm sure it will start new whining about Fire Emblem getting too many reps, especially with one being a clone). That said, she's definitely a Melee style clone, so while she'll be fine for this iteration and a good way to introduce people to Marth, I'll be completely fine if she gets cut for the next game.
I don't see much argument for Fire Emblem getting too many reps. I'm not even a fan, but I recognise it as a stable, unique franchise amongst the Nintendo library, and has a variety of games to source from, as well as the recent hit Awakening on the 3DS. Not to mention, it was Melee/Smash Brothers that helped popularise Fire Emblem outside of Japan, so I don't see why Fire Emblem doesn't deserve more respect.

And why not 4 characters? Mario tops everyone atm with 5 reps, so it's not like Fire Emblem is outclassing the roster.

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
Reading this post actually made me really happy due to the fact that Sakurai took the time to explain a lot of confusion Smash bros fans had! So Thanks Sakurai, but I do wish Lucina wasn't a "clone." Although she has a difference in play style and appearance, Lucina is more like Marth than I thought she would be. :/ This is great news for Lucina fans though because this does mean Lucina will be a force to watch out for, but I just wish she was a little more unique. Imo Sakurai probably could have given Marth and alt skin of Lucina and added Chrom into the roster. Sure this may be because of my love for Chrom, but it might have worked. Oh well. . . hopefully Lucina surprises me in the end with what she has to offer! :D

Plus I love the detail in her eye. . . Sakurai has been doing a great job with little things like this!
#ripchrom #illseeyouinrobinsfinalsmash

elephant13

Smash Apprentice
I still don't get why people are complaining that she's in, as if it means someone else like King K Rool won't make it.

If a character was planned to be in the game, they'll be in the game. Regardless of a clone's (I dislike that word) appearance. I think some of you still need to understand there isn't a set number of slots... Mashpotato Samurai does whatever he wants.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is certainly a conflicting issue for FE fans but it makes sense. As much as their fans won't like me saying this, it's extremely unlikely that Chrom or Lucina will ever star in another game. It's pretty safe to say that the Avatar/Robin will be back for future installments but his/her appearance may change in time. Ike's back because he's the only FE lord to star in more than one but that's only because the Radiant saga is essentially two parts. Given how Roy was playable in Melee, I was certain that Chrom was going to make it into the roster, only to later be cut in SSB5. I feel it's safe to say that Lucina's in the same boat. Most of us here pictured her as a semiclone at best (although I honesty thought she was going to be in the first round of DLC) so this outcome isn't the least bit surprising. This outcome, however, already makes her extremely expendable but I feel like that's what the developers intended all along.

As Sakurai said around this time last year, cuts are going to keep happening because it's a bit of a hassle to bring everyone back with each new installment. With all the newcomers so far being fairly unique, I imagine the decision would have been rather difficult but characters like Lucina vastly simplify this issue. Brawl saw Roy, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Pichu get dropped because of their characteristics and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sakurai and his team deliberately add characters to this roster just to make that eventual decision easier to make. Some clones, like Falco and Ganondorf, may find themselves getting "promotions" in the next installment to further differentiate them from their counterparts but I imagine that this will be a one time affair for most of the new clones that make their premiere in this game. Dark Pit, Bowser Jr, and Toon Zelda seem like potential clone candidates at this point. Although I imagine that their fans aren't thrilled to death by this prospect, it's a compromise they'll likely have to accept if they make the cut. Again, some of these characters may wind up becoming Smash staples but I seriously doubt Lucina is going to be one of them. Like Roy, I suggest her fans enjoy her while she's still around and appreciate that she became playable to begin with.

I have to say that I feel for Chrom fans but, at the same time, I feel that this was the better outcome in the long run. Based on what I said, Chrom probably wasn't likely to return in SSB5 so, instead of people getting attached to him for 6-7 years, they made him part of Robin's final smash. It sucks now (especially with so many Robin fans gloating at the moment) but it's unlikely that Chrom is going to outright disappear after this game. He'll be back in SMT X FE and he and Lucina too will likely be DLC in future FE games. Instead of getting Roy'd, he got a spot that was ever more prestigious than an assist trophy, which you have to admit is pretty cool.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I'm a fan of clones so I'm happy with this. Though I am a bit salty about Dark Samus being a assist trophy now. Sakurai better deliver now with Ridley because Metroid deserves another character and the only other character I would've been content with was Dark Samus.

Hopefully they'll have a lot more clones so we can have quite some more fan favourites on the roster. A 55 character roster with 45 unique movesets sounds about right to me. Dark Pit as Pit clone, KRool as Bowser clone, Dixie as a Diddy semi-clone, Isaac as a Ike(?) semi clone, Krystal as a ZZS(?) clone. If it means we can get all these fan-favourite characters that normally wouldn't make it in the game as clones, I'll happily take it. I'm sure that that won't happen though.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
You know what? This is actually the longest POTD we've gotten in a while. Very informative. Reminds me of the old dojo.

EDIT: Once again, they're not bringing back Roy because you guys are the only ones who even care about him. He's old news. He's over 10 years out of date. There are newer and much more popular (and much more recognizable) characters to use. Heck, Roy's game was never released in the west. The first time western audiences saw him was either in 7's epilogue or in Awakening DLC. I'm sorry, but Roy IS NOT coming back. Not while Fire Emblem continues to shine on.

Once a Smasher......ALWAYS a smasher.

Never forget.

D

Deleted member

I'm a fan of clones so I'm happy with this. Though I am a bit salty about Dark Samus being a assist trophy now. Sakurai better deliver now with Ridley because Metroid deserves another character and the only other character I would've been content with was Dark Samus.

Hopefully they'll have a lot more clones so we can have quite some more fan favourites on the roster. A 55 character roster with 45 unique movesets sounds about right to me. Dark Pit as Pit clone, KRool as Bowser clone, Dixie as a Diddy semi-clone, Isaac as a Ike(?) semi clone, Krystal as a ZZS(?) clone. If it means we can get all these fan-favourite characters that normally wouldn't make it in the game as clones, I'll happily take it. I'm sure that that won't happen though.
K. Rool being a Bowser clone is the one that I can't see happening because some of Bowser's attacks involve his shell (Dair, D-Smash, U-B, to name a few) and also K. Rool doesn't breathe fire.

Dixie being a Diddy semi-clone wouldn't surprise me given her size and the fact that she is largely capable of the same things that Diddy is (albeit playing a little differently in DKC2).

I haven't played Golden Sun, but is Isaac a heavyish character like Ike?

Krystal I could see happening to some extent as a ZSS semi (at least normal attack wise) with perhaps her specials being different with her staff perhaps being incorporated.

I'm still quite skeptical of Dark Pit because yes, Clone Characters are confirmed now, but unlike Lucina, Dark Pit didn't get his own "Joins the Battle!" blurb like she did, which makes me think he'll just be returning as a Pit color as of right now.

But we'll have to wait and see, Sakurai has shown time and again he is incredibly unpredictable.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
This is certainly a conflicting issue for FE fans but it makes sense. As much as their fans won't like me saying this, it's extremely unlikely that Chrom or Lucina will ever star in another game. It's pretty safe to say that the Avatar/Robin will be back for future installments but his/her appearance may change in time. Ike's back because he's the only FE lord to star in more than one but that's only because the Radiant saga is essentially two parts. Given how Roy was playable in Melee, I was certain that Chrom was going to make it into the roster, only to later be cut in SSB5. I feel it's safe to say that Lucina's in the same boat. Most of us here pictured her as a semiclone at best (although I honesty thought she was going to be in the first round of DLC) so this outcome isn't the least bit surprising. This outcome, however, already makes her extremely expendable but I feel like that's what the developers intended all along.

As Sakurai said around this time last year, cuts are going to keep happening because it's a bit of a hassle to bring everyone back with each new installment. With all the newcomers so far being fairly unique, I imagine the decision would have been rather difficult but characters like Lucina vastly simplify this issue. Brawl saw Roy, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Pichu get dropped because of their characteristics and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sakurai and his team deliberately add characters to this roster just to make that eventual decision easier to make. Some clones, like Falco and Ganondorf, may find themselves getting "promotions" in the next installment to further differentiate them from their counterparts but I imagine that this will be a one time affair for most of the new clones that make their premiere in this game. Dark Pit, Bowser Jr, and Toon Zelda seem like potential clone candidates at this point. Although I imagine that their fans aren't thrilled to death by this prospect, it's a compromise they'll likely have to accept if they make the cut. Again, some of these characters may wind up becoming Smash staples but I seriously doubt Lucina is going to be one of them. Like Roy, I suggest her fans enjoy her while she's still around and appreciate that she became playable to begin with.

I have to say that I feel for Chrom fans but, at the same time, I feel that this was the better outcome in the long run. Based on what I said, Chrom probably wasn't likely to return in SSB5 so, instead of people getting attached to him for 6-7 years, they made him part of Robin's final smash. It sucks now (especially with so many Robin fans gloating at the moment) but it's unlikely that Chrom is going to outright disappear after this game. He'll be back in SMT X FE and he and Lucina too will likely be DLC in future FE games. Instead of getting Roy'd, he got a spot that was ever more prestigious than an assist trophy, which you have to admit is pretty cool.
It's depressing to add in a character, just to cut her in the next installment, even if she's a clone.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's depressing to add in a character, just to cut her in the next installment, even if she's a clone.
That's just the nature of the beast. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are essentially revolving doors when it comes to their protagonists so this means that they are more susceptible to cuts than any other major Nintendo franchise. If people are concerned about Lucina, she still has 6-7 years to land a prominent role in another FE game to better solidify her chances for SSB5 but, for realism's sake, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'm happy. Lucina is gonna be awesome. Glad there are slight changes to her from Marth and I personally prefer Melee style clones over brawl clones.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
And you know what is just fantastic? Dark Pit is now practically confirmed now. Great....another confirmed clone character.
The difference is that Dark Pit looks pretty much identical to Pit - meaning his palette swaps and such would make it very difficult to distinguish him from Pit.

I could see him as an alt for Pit, but as a clone character you lose the reason to even put him in. With almost no difference in ability and minimal difference in appearance, why bother?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The difference is that Dark Pit looks pretty much identical to Pit - meaning his palette swaps and such would make it very difficult to distinguish him from Pit.

I could see him as an alt for Pit, but as a clone character you lose the reason to even put him in. With almost no difference in ability and minimal difference in appearance, why bother?
The real difference is Dark Pit was shown in a trailer and didn't get a splash screen, while Lucina and Robin got theirs together.

If Dark Pit was playable, why wasn't he shown off with Palutena, in game?

Malion

Smash Ace
why was Dark Pit shown at all?
It's just so weird.
I could maybe see Dark Pit as an Alt costume with a different voice maybe?

Dark Link should have a different set of voice clips now that I think of it too. More sinister maybe? That'd be fun.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
That's just the nature of the beast. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are essentially revolving doors when it comes to their protagonists so this means that they are more susceptible to cuts than any other major Nintendo franchise. If people are concerned about Lucina, she still has 6-7 years to land a prominent role in another FE game to better solidify her chances for SSB5 but, for realism's sake, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Pichu was literally a joke character, and Mewtwo was cut due to time restraints, and has a high chance of making the cut this time. If Pokemon was a revolving roster, then characters like Lucario would've been cut by now. It's also important to note that Roy was cut also because of time restraints, even though he was a clone. Besides, Lucina came from an immensely more popular game, so she has a lot of popularity going for her.

The real difference is Dark Pit was shown in a trailer and didn't get a splash screen, while Lucina and Robin got theirs together.

The best explanation I can come up with is that the developers wanted to give Palutena's large variation of moves all the spotlight, and revealing a clone at E3 would kinda suck.

That's it though. There is something to Dark Pit though. A trailer appearance, and a spot in Palutena's art.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If Pokemon was a revolving roster, then characters like Lucario would've been cut by now.
But Pichu and Mewtwo were cut. And Pokemon Trainer is cut, and presumably Squirtle and Ivysaur with him.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Good point. Dark Pit is likely a special alt.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
But Pichu and Mewtwo were cut. And Pokemon Trainer is cut, and presumably Squirtle and Ivysaur with him.
I suppose you do have a point. Still, every character has its fans, and they wouldn't want them to appear in one game only to disappear the next. I still feel bad for fans of Squirtle and Ivysaur and most likely Snake because of this.

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
Since Lucina is an unnecessary character (and clone) and she's playable...
Does that mean the unnecessary character (and clone) Lucas will also be playable?
I think yes.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Pichu was literally a joke character, and Mewtwo was cut due to time restraints, and has a high chance of making the cut this time. If Pokemon was a revolving roster, then characters like Lucario would've been cut by now. It's also important to note that Roy was cut also because of time restraints, even though he was a clone. Besides, Lucina came from an immensely more popular game, so she has a lot of popularity going for her.
Lucario was the first Pokemon in X&Y that you could mega evolve, and played a prominent role in the early storyline of the game.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Lucario was the first Pokemon in X&Y that you could mega evolve, and played a prominent role in the early storyline of the game.
Not to mention his popularity is still longstanding, even after his debut in Diamond/Pearl from 2007. People seem to love him to death.

I still think he's alright.

Aogami

Smash Cadet
i find it hilarious that people are crying to get Lucas and Falco back but when Lucina gets announced everybody loses their ****ing minds, oh but Roy would be ok.

Secondly since when has it meant when Sakurai shares a detail about a character that it's the only thing new about them, none you about the changes done to the roster besides the details shared by Sakurai, Fox and Marth are nearly different character due to the changes in their Mechanics how can you say she'll be the same but with just a different sword ability?

And some people are already mentioning that they're seeing a difference in speed that Lucina is faster than Marth and that they're is slight variation to how she executes moves such as angle and reach.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Surprised no ones mentioned how dark pit is practically confirmed as a pit clone.
Because he isn't. He doesn't have an individual character page on the official website.

If you're thinking of the Palutena trailer, I think it was just a cameo appearance.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Gee Sakurai, it's almost scary when you explain things clearly.:laugh:

Anyway, I think it's cool that Lucina is a clone. She probably took up a very, very, very little amount of development time, and I think it was worth it.

But the more important thing: We have "ROY'S OUR BOY," "WE LIKE IKE," and uh, whatever Marth's thing is, but what about Robin and Lucina? We NEED catchphrases!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In response to that...

Pretty much this. I think Lucario lucked out, just like how Jigglypuff lucked out for Melee. Design wise, Lucario was built as a fad character (you have to admit, the character is 3edgy5u) from the ground up but then something unexpected happen, his popularity never really died down. I feel this is why Lucario's still around. I don't think he was intended to be a mainstay in Smash (or Pokemon for that matter) but fans ate him up, spurring Nintendo to keep him relevant after 4th gen. This is why I'm not convinced yet that Greninja's going to be a Smash staple. Only time will tell if he has staying power like the other three Pokes in SSB4. What about Mewtwo then? As you said, it was just a victim of unfortunate circumstances and with it having an explosion in relevance in the past year, I strongly doubt it'll get passed again, even if it has to wind up as DLC to catch the bus.

D

Deleted member

Gee Sakurai, it's almost scary when you explain things clearly.:laugh:

Anyway, I think it's cool that Lucina is a clone. She probably took up a very, very, very little amount of development time, and I think it was worth it.

But the more important thing: We have "ROY'S OUR BOY," "WE LIKE IKE," and uh, whatever Marth's thing is, but what about Robin and Lucina? We NEED catchphrases!
Uhhh....

Either:
"Tip the Scales! Tip the Scales! Tip the Scales!"
3 syllable chant.

Thought I don't think this would make that much sense considering that a character typically gets chants when they get on a good roll, and if Robin is "on a roll" she would be ahead already and wouldn't need to "Tip the scales"

or the simple:

"Robin! Robin! Robin!"
2 syllable chant ^

(Rah Bin, Rah Bin, etc.)

I don't know though.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I really love how we get pic of the days instead of dojo updates every few days. It feels like there's a constant stream of pics to analyze.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Girl Marth is such an oxymoron.
Forgive me if I am just not getting your joke, but an oxymoron is a word or phrase whose components are opposites. So, assuming you are making the somewhat cliche "Marth is a girl" joke, you actually said you consider Marth to be the antithesis of one. Using another Smash cliche as a better example of an oxymoron is "tiny Ridley".

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
So do you think Marth and Lucina will have some differences speed and power wise or just in the sword?

Malion

Smash Ace
Forgive me if I am just not getting your joke, but an oxymoron is a word or phrase whose components are opposites. So, assuming you are making the somewhat cliche "Marth is a girl" joke, you actually said you consider Marth to be the antithesis of one. Using another Smash cliche as a better example of an oxymoron is "tiny Ridley".
They probably meant to say "Redundant" instead of "Oxymoron"

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Well, I'm glad that was cleared up quickly. Lucina was probably a last minute decision(probably Dark Pit/Similar clone also) and I'm happy she got into the roster at all. I'm not a major Fire Emblem fan by any stretch, but what seems to be an easier to play Marth fits right up my alley. Also, I am now to the point where I can appreciate certain clone characters if that means more representation on the roster for certain franchises that wouldn't otherwise get it. Plus, it makes a lot of sense in this case as Lucina is a Marth descendant from what I understand, so them playing similar works very well.

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
I don't know, Awakening was the best selling FE title to date and it's the most marketable. I think her chances of returning in another FE title, even if only for marketing reasons, are pretty good.

Concerning Dark Pit, I honestly doubt he'll get his own slot. He didn't get an introduction in the Palutena trailer like Lucina did in Robin's. If anything, I think he would be an alt for Pit with his own voice clips and altered model, similar to Male Wii Fit Trainer. As a fan of Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'd be perfectly okay with that.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Uhhh....

Either:
"Tip the Scales! Tip the Scales! Tip the Scales!"
3 syllable chant.

Thought I don't think this would make that much sense considering that a character typically gets chants when they get on a good roll, and if Robin is "on a roll" she would be ahead already and wouldn't need to "Tip the scales"

or the simple:

"Robin! Robin! Robin!"
2 syllable chant ^

(Rah Bin, Rah Bin, etc.)

I don't know though.
GO! WIN! ROOO-BIN! GO! WIN! ROOO-BIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom