• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The "issue" is that almost none of us play with items, and updates relevant to multiplayer non-items matches are becomming a lot more sparse. This week the only info relevant to that we got was that you can go up on the lights in the boxing ring which was not terribly welcome information since that raises serious concerns about creating a very strong camping spot on that stage (that's so high up that it seems likely that many characters will struggle to get up there, and characters who are poor in the air will have very poor answers to a very strong vertical character just going back and forth between the lights and the ground). Otherwise we had a smash run picture showing fairly little info (two if you count the Zelda one), a trophy, and another item picture. It's perfectly okay if Sakurai wants to give us nothing interesting; the only real thing he owes us as his inevitable paying customers is a product worthy of our purchase which he seems to be working very hard to deliver. I just don't think there's any way for us to get excited over this week's level of pictures, and this one is certainly not exciting at all.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I often play with select items with my friends. Dragoon is always off. Classic mode can really suck because of it. If it's back, I hope it's a lot rarer. The balance of items, AT's and especially Pokeball PKMN seemed way off in Brawl.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
The dragoon, the new reticle looks cool. Personally hated the weapon, it dominates the match too much imo and the only time that stupid thing would show up was when I'm in the lead, making collecting it incredibly annoying as opponents can get the parts out of me with one hit while they won't drop em at all while smashing them around.

Good week I'd say, onto the next!

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
Do not fear the Dragoon. Embrace the power it provides you.

And what's up with this whole 'Its unbalanced." argument? Its an item. By their very nature they do unbalanced **** and that's why people who play with items love them. Yea when it pops up everyone goes nuts and tries to get it, just like a smash ball, just like a pokeball, just like a AT just like a large health item...etc...etc.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yes, competitive players, let the hate flow through you, it just makes the Dragoon and Smash Balls even more powerful and awesome...

And, there's a lot of people on this forum who play with items on, although I still think this update was sucky.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yes, competitive players, let the hate flow through you, it just makes the Dragoon and Smash Balls even more powerful and awesome...
You know this kind of comment is completely unnecessary... Are you trying to start something again?

Anyway, the new Dragoon aiming effect looks quite good and it seems that it's easier to aim as well, despite the added flashiness.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You know this kind of comment is completely unnecessary... Are you trying to start something again?
Nope, I just don't like the overall attitude most radical competitive players get whenever we get a for fun-update, you don't see us complaining when we get a for glory-update.

Especially because most good players play both styles of Smash.

It's not even as insulting as condescending as some people's 'delicious tears' comments. Just look at the Wonder Red pages for those.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nope, I just don't like the overall attitude most radical competitive players get whenever we get a for fun-update, you don't see us complaining when we get a for glory-update.

Especially because most good players play both styles of Smash.
I say that you should just let it go. You're lowering yourself to their level with comments such as that one.

You complain about how some competitive players act elitist and extreme, yet sometimes your comments are just as elitist and extreme, even though you're on the other side of the spectrum.

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
Both sides do it its just simply here there are more on the competitive end so people are willing to let competitive elitists go off on their petty rants.

Anywho back to the topic at hand: I loved the Dragoon but I do hope the time allowed for aiming is a bit shorter.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
LOL I'm back can't stay mad at you.
Except the mods

By the way I bought Project Zero 2 and now I want some Fatal Frame representation in Sm4sh, at least a trophy or two

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well if we have not found the head part in the direct trailer eariler this would have prooved not all items have ben confirmed (but still obvious though)

But i love the redesign of the dragoon

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Looks like the Dragoon got a visual upgrade. I like it.

Dodging a Dragoon was really satisfying, far more so that landing a KO with it.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
The Dragoon design looks nice, but I would have rather seen the item dropped. Once a piece of it falls in Classic, the whole match becomes a scramble to get the others/knock them out of the computer, which I didn't enjoy.

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I'm pretty sure we're not getting any more character reveals until E3, at which point we will see a BOATLOAD. You never know though!
I read "BATTLETOAD", now I want battletoads.
The Dragoon design looks nice, but I would have rather seen the item dropped. Once a piece of it falls in Classic, the whole match becomes a scramble to get the others/knock them out of the computer, which I didn't enjoy.
I just ignore it, if the computer gets it you can just dodge it, and them getting it was pretty rare for me.

I'm Glad to see the Dragoon return, it gave a good thrill in matches we'd play with items on. Didn't use them often, but made for the more intense matches.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
"I wanna get on it. I wanna get on and ride it." - Masahiro Sakurai
Was waiting for someone to mention this, was beginning to think I was the only one with my mind in the gutter.

Wrong choice of words, Sakurai.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I'm just happy anytime I see anything from the Kirby franchise....I'm like the Kirby version of Admiral Pit, I guess.

Kirby on a Dragoon in glorious HD = Why no Kirby Air Ride 2 on WiiU? :kirby2::(

R0Y

Smash Master
Apparently that Zelda pic leaked for only like 20-30 minutes:

Damn you guys are fast. I hope this isn't a future POTD just because we've seen it before.
Looks like Smash Run area.

Right choice of words, Sakurai. :4zss::4charizard:
:4charizard::4zelda:

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
All this talk of unbalanced and then there's the people being entertained by Sakurai's word choice even though I didn't think anything...inappropriate about it until I read comments on here @.@

As for the whole unbalanced matter, the Dragoon only appeared once per match if at all and it appeared in pieces, where as Smash Balls could appear numerous times per match and all it took was one well placed hit (waiting till it's taken enough damage or enough time has gone by and then hitting it) and a person had it and there was often little to nothing to do about it. On the other hand I suppose Final Smashes are more balanced since some characters naturally have bad ones. The Dragoon is essentially a combination of Marth's and Snake's final smash, a one hit ko with an aiming cursor although like Marth's you only get one chance to use it and if you miss or they dodge then it is wasted.

I suppose I don't find it unbalanced since I only ever saw items on Basic Brawl and those only lasted two minutes so it wasn't very common that it was ever used.

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
I had no idea people never liked the dragoon. I thought it was pretty fun to fight for the pieces during a 4 player match.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I had no idea people never liked the dragoon. I thought it was pretty fun to fight for the pieces during a 4 player match.
The dragoon was awful. I tended to play brawl casually with a friend and two CPUs. I've found that 9 times out of 10, the CPU will target player 1 with a dragoon. Seriously. Always player one. It got to the point that I had to turn the damn thing off.

D

Deleted member

The dragoon was awful. I tended to play brawl casually with a friend and two CPUs. I've found that 9 times out of 10, the CPU will target player 1 with a dragoon. Seriously. Always player one. It got to the point that I had to turn the damn thing off.
It's more like the AI will relentlessly target player 1 at any opportunity, regardless if they have the Dragoon or not.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The Al always relentlessly attacks the human player. Though it is kinda annoying how it somehow takes you several attacks to get that dragoon piece off the CPU players while it only takes them a hit or two to get it off of yours.... Or does that only happen to me? :/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Al always relentlessly attacks the human player. Though it is kinda annoying how it somehow takes you several attacks to get that dragoon piece off the CPU players while it only takes them a hit or two to get it off of yours.... Or does that only happen to me? :/
It's to everyone. Computers cheat, something normal these days. Brawl had a lot of problems in that particular regard.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, sometimes I kinda wish the devs would program the computer players a bit more fairly but oh well.... :T
You a troper too? :p

That said, I hate it. It's poor design. It's not always as bad in Pokemon, since getting past, say, a low level Dragonite is not that hard. Even with Barrier. The Battle Frontier(which a person at that site has been doing heavy research to see how badly it cheats) is way worse than any of those. They stack the odds against you purposely, from what it seems. Data will prove if it's just luck or actually literal cheating.

Also, your link got hit by the swear filter, sadly.

D

Deleted member

That said, I hate it. It's poor design. It's not always as bad in Pokemon, since getting past, say, a low level Dragonite is not that hard. Even with Barrier. The Battle Frontier(which a person at that site has been doing heavy research to see how badly it cheats) is way worse than any of those. They stack the odds against you purposely, from what it seems. Data will prove if it's just luck or actually literal cheating.

I hope that the AI in Smash 4 is a bit better with not being dumb. The AI pretty much knows everything when it comes to Brawl (and to a lesser extent Melee) and that can make it somewhat unfun when you just want to goof around with a friend and you get gangbanged by the bots.

And it's always nice to see some other tropers on here.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Haha yeah kinda. :p

Yeah I know, even in Mario Kart the CPU racers always seem to be able to catch up to you pretty easily even though as a human player you technically couldn't. Like during the Wuhu Mountain loop/Maka Wuhu glitch, it kinda took the human players a while to catch up to you if you where to use that glitch whereas the computer players can make it to the gliding ramp pretty quickly if I recalled correctly.

I do hope the Al gets better improved in Smash 4.

And ah well, guess this link can do too.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I hope that the AI in Smash 4 is a bit better with not being dumb. The AI pretty much knows everything when it comes to Brawl (and to a lesser extent Melee) and that can make it somewhat unfun when you just want to goof around with a friend and you get gangbanged by the bots.

And it's always nice to see some other tropers on here.
I don't much mind them seeing you when you're invisible, because it's kind of hard to program them otherwise. But that's about it for Smash.

Haha yeah kinda. :p

Yeah I know, even in Mario Kart the CPU racers always seem to be able to catch up to you pretty easily even though as a human player you technically couldn't. Like during the Wuhu Mountain loop glitch, it kinda took the human players a while to catch up to you if you where to use that glitch whereas the computer players can make it to the gliding ramp pretty quickly if I recalled correctly.

I do hope the Al gets better improved in Smash 4.

And ah well, guess this link can do too.
So do I. They were awfully cheap in Melee and Brawl. Brawl made them fun to watch, but removed the Red Shell(Fox Only, Red Shells Only, any large stage, and... funny to watch, imo. However, Melee had them abuse the stupid AAA combo attacks over and over..., so this only works in 64, end of story). Related, Red Shell for SSB4. :|

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The thing about the dragoon in Brawl is that once the pieces spawned, the Smash Ball could not until the Dragoon was used, which, could take the whole match sometimes. If they fix that then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Bizarro world here on the main competitive site. This is just a page of joking, right? 95%+ of us don't play with items regularly (that's not "hate", just a reality of being on a competitive site), we all know the AI is super free in every smash game and never does anything a human couldn't do, and those of us who play Pokemon know the AI doesn't cheat in that either and that the Battle Whatever challenges are just hard because Pokemon is super luck based and you're being asked to win 100-200 battles in a row which really makes the chances of losing to some low% event pretty high (for XY super singles though, try Wobbuffet/Mega Kangaskhan/Azumarill which is slightly weak to bulky grass but overall is a very strong team with very low losing chances). The AI actually does cheat in most Mario Kart games for what that's worth (it cheats more in the earlier ones; I'm not sure if it still cheats in the newer games).

Either way, my experiences with the Dragoon in single player were that it was always really easy to make sure no single AI player got all the pieces so I never really tried dodging it but that it fired so slowly that there was really no reliable way to hit with it when I got it (the AI would randomly dodge it, and it was way too slow and limited to force any situation that would prevent that). If I assembled a full Dragoon, I'd just mash the fire button to fire at the first possible moment and hope I hit something; that seemed to produce the best results (maybe the AI committed to something so crazy slow that you can punish with Dragoon?). Does anyone actually know how many frames it takes to hit after firing? It seems to me to be slow enough to be probably consistently dodgable on reaction which means that it should hit a human very rarely (mostly in special circumstances like stage transitions, long recoveries, or doubles with your partner setting you up), but I've never taken frame data on it, do know the animation has all kinds of potentially misleading slowdown, and wouldn't know where to look in the game's files for that number. I just ask because everyone is talking like it was a strong item whereas my experiences were that it was a very weak item, and I'm actually kinda curious now who is right and whether the item is any good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom