• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I doubt it. Apparently April is the start of the Japanese fiscal year, so having one show up on the last day of March seems unlikely. April 1 we might see big stuff though- maybe even a direct announced on Monday for a big reveal for the fool's day.
Yeah you're probably right. Ooh I hope we get a Direct.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
If I would be in charge of the PotD for April 1st, I would make a close-up picture of that hole in Pyrosphere again but with a small purple thing in the background. In the caption I would say: "Pic of the Day. What's that at the end of the tunnel? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it ...?".

Then I would ignore this picture ever happened for the next two months.

juddy96

Smash Lord
If I would be in charge of the PotD for April 1st, I would make a close-up picture of that hole in Pyrosphere again but with a small purple thing in the background. In the caption I would say: "Pic of the Day. What's that at the end of the tunnel? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it ...?".

Then I would ignore this picture ever happened for the next two months.
That's something Sakurai would do. You are evil.

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
At first, I thought it was just one picture, but when I saw the rest, I was pleasantly surprised. Even if we don't get a character this month, we at least got lots of new info.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Not the best update, not the worst either. I will say I prefer it over the Mario 3D Land potd we got but that's mostly because I hate scrolling stages. Monday won't have a character because no Monday ever has and so we shall go a full month without a character. That being said it isn't the longest drought we've had though it is getting close. Also I like all of this positive talk about a potential direct in the first week of April. Much better than say flipping out about a lack of character.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Was there a April fools joke update for brawl?

I don't think sakurai will do a trick picture in my opinion

Calling a Ridley 'reveal' on April 1st only to be shown hes actually a stage hazard on the 2nd.
Or the inverse stage hazard on the first then to playable on the 2nd.

Double postDouble post

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm too paranoid for April Fool's Day, Sakurai is definitely going to have me fooled if he goes along with it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was there a April fools joke update for brawl?

I don't think sakurai will do a trick picture in my opinion
No there wasn't

Have they even heard of April Fool's Day in Japan?

Besides, what's he going to do? Announce a character than say, "Nope, not really" the next day?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
No there wasn't

Have they even heard of April Fool's Day in Japan?

Besides, what's he going to do? Announce a character than say, "Nope, not really" the next day?
I know I really doubt he's going to do any joke just a regular picture

Everyone just trying to get it into everyone's heads that he's going to do a evil update on April fools day then later say its a joke and it's the opposite.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Hopefully this stage will be more Castle Siege and less Rumble Falls. His phrasing confuses me...

Anyway, I seriously doubt Sakurai will acknowledge April Fools. How many Holidays have passed since E3? How many has he acknowledged at all? I was told the answer is 2, and that's only if you count WFT/HFT on Halloween which he did not explicitly refer to.

I know we all think of him as this troll, but there's never been anything to suggest he sees himself that way, so I doubt he's really all that on board with deliberately misleading his fan-base, especially with something as absolutely potentially upsetting as Ridley.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Monday won't have a character because no Monday ever has and so we shall go a full month without a character.
Haven't you learnt by now that every time people think they've found a pattern, Sakurai does a U-Turn and does the complete opposite of what we thought?

Besides, you're contradicting yourself. Monday has never had a character reveal, but there's never been a month without a character reveal, either. This will be different no matter what happens now.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Exactly. There's no way to believe that Monday will definitely have a character because "ehrmagerd Sakurai has never missed a month" without having to admit that it's impossible to show a character on Monday because "ehrmagerd Sakurai has never shown a character on Monday."

You can't reconcile a belief that we're "due" on any grounds other than the total number of days that have passed.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Hopefully this stage will be more Castle Siege and less Rumble Falls. His phrasing confuses me...

Anyway, I seriously doubt Sakurai will acknowledge April Fools. How many Holidays have passed since E3? How many has he acknowledged at all? I was told the answer is 2, and that's only if you count WFT/HFT on Halloween which he did not explicitly refer to.

I know we all think of him as this troll, but there's never been anything to suggest he sees himself that way, so I doubt he's really all that on board with deliberately misleading his fan-base, especially with something as absolutely potentially upsetting as Ridley.
HFT...? Hii Fit Trainer? As in He Fit Trainer? As in it's a guy? As in that's genius.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Haven't you learnt by now that every time people think they've found a pattern, Sakurai does a U-Turn and does the complete opposite of what we thought?

Besides, you're contradicting yourself. Monday has never had a character reveal, but there's never been a month without a character reveal, either. This will be different no matter what happens now.
If Sakurai does a U-turn here I will be both surprised and happy but I don't see it happening. As for contradicting myself, eh I guess I was? We have yet to have a character reveal on a Monday and we have also never gone a whole month without a character reveal. The last day possible for a character reveal this month is a Monday so if he does reveal a character in March it has to be on a Monday now. Again however I don't see it happening. I'm more willing to believe that Sakurai will break the pattern of every month giving us at least one character than him breaking the pattern of no character reveals on Monday.

That being said, that's my expectations, keeping them low. My hopes however are much higher. I hope we get a character on Monday but I'm expecting the opposite to be true.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
I think too many people are worried about the PotD for April fool's day. There's no way that the joke will leave fans upset after he reveals it was a joke. An April fools joke should make the fans upset first and happy after it is revealed it was a joke, so Tuesday may be a VERY good day.

Examples of possible April Fools joke Sakurai can do on Tuesday:

-The worst possible scenario is that it'll be a joke pic that has no information on the game like a picture of Luigi's nose that everyone seems to love.
-A Repeat of what happened with Phosphora (even if no one was fooled by it, judging from the comments of the pictures you can tell he wanted people to believe phosphora was a newcommer and then immediately said "...is a trophy"...so we could get an equally poor attempt at trolling us which isn't even that big of a deal)
-A veteran being portrayed as an assist trophy only to later say how they will actually be playable. That would be a cool joke, it'll get people riled up to see Ike as an assist trophy but then most people will be happy when he is later confirmed to be playable.
-announce that the game will be delayed to 2016 only later to say that it'll be released in July 2014 or something.

Honestly, I'm very much looking forward for the PotD for April Fools, I think the final outcome will be very pleasing to fans if Sakurai does plan to do a big joke on us. Also consider this, the more upsetting the initial joke is, the better then actual PotD will be when it is revealed to be a joke.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Now I feel like Aprils direct character might be either ridley or mewtwo

(Too explain because of a longest wait and he rewards us for such a wait)
I think it'll be one of three characters because I feel like Sakurai has used this "strategy" before. I don't think it'll be someone super popular but, instead, is someone who is more on the obscure side or has a small (but dedicated) fanbase. Why do I think this? Look at how Sakurai revealed newcomers for Brawl. Pit was revealed during the E3 trailer. Why? To build hype for a relatively obscure character. Fast forward 15 months; who was the newcomer that broke the newcomer drought after E3? Ike. Why? Again, to build hype for a relatively obscure character. Fast forward five months; who was the newcomer that ended the three month character drought? Olimar. I feel like this was deliberate especially when you consider how Sakurai chose to reveal significantly more popular characters like Sonic, Dedede, and Diddy between Ike and Olimar.

Fast forward to E3 last year. Who was the big shocker character at E3? Wii Fit Trainer. Again, I feel like Sakurai took advantage of the hype of E3 to build hype for a character virtually nobody cared about beforehand. Fast forward one last time to December of last year. Who was the character who broke the 6 month newcomer drought and the 40 day character drought? Rosalina, a character many people readily dismissed in favor of more popular Mario characters. See what I'm seeing?

I feel like Sakurai does this on purpose so the fans associate the thrill of seeing a new character after a long time with a character that isn't that popular or well known so that they'll actually be excited to play as them, even if they haven't a clue who they are or didn't particularly want them. As a marketing strategy, this is brilliant. In all honesty, would as many people have been excited for Wii Fit Trainer if she wasn't revealed at E3? Would Ike have received the fanfare that he got if Diddy had been the one who broke the newcomer drought with Brawl? This all being said, I expect the newcomer revealed to be someone who may not top many people's fan lists, but still be a well welcomed addition when they're recognized for breaking yet another character drought. If and when a Nintendo Direct is announced next week, I'll post my theories on who the three potential characters are.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Sakurai will make no joke whatsoever.

April Direct will bring us Professor Layton AND Phoenix Wright.

Believe.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I literally can't think of two characters less fitted to a brawl/fighting game. That would strike me as disappointing.
OH NO YOU'RE RIGHT THEY HAVE NO WEAPONS HOW CAN THEY FIGHT
OH MY GOD GIVE THEM A MACHINE GUN OR SOMETHING
THEY CAN'T FIT COME ON THEY BARELY HAVE HANDS

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think it'll be one of three characters because I feel like Sakurai has used this "strategy" before. I don't think it'll be someone super popular but, instead, is someone who is more on the obscure side or has a small (but dedicated) fanbase. Why do I think this? Look at how Sakurai revealed newcomers for Brawl. Pit was revealed during the E3 trailer. Why? To build hype for a relatively obscure character. Fast forward 15 months; who was the newcomer that broke the newcomer drought after E3? Ike. Why? Again, to build hype for a relatively obscure character. Fast forward five months; who was the newcomer that ended the three month character drought? Olimar. I feel like this was deliberate especially when you consider how Sakurai chose to reveal significantly more popular characters like Sonic, Dedede, and Diddy between Ike and Olimar.

Fast forward to E3 last year. Who was the big shocker character at E3? Wii Fit Trainer. Again, I feel like Sakurai took advantage of the hype of E3 to build hype for a character virtually nobody cared about beforehand. Fast forward one last time to December of last year. Who was the character who broke the 6 month newcomer drought and the 40 day character drought? Rosalina, a character many people readily dismissed in favor of more popular Mario characters. See what I'm seeing?

I feel like Sakurai does this on purpose so the fans associate the thrill of seeing a new character after a long time with a character that isn't that popular or well known so that they'll actually be excited to play as them, even if they haven't a clue who they are or didn't particularly want them. As a marketing strategy, this is brilliant. In all honesty, would as many people have been excited for Wii Fit Trainer if she wasn't revealed at E3? Would Ike have received the fanfare that he got if Diddy had been the one who broke the newcomer drought with Brawl? This all being said, I expect the newcomer revealed to be someone who may not top many people's fan lists, but still be a well welcomed addition when they're recognized for breaking yet another character drought. If and when a Nintendo Direct is announced next week, I'll post my theories on who the three potential characters are.
it's PAPER MARIO!!!
XD
no seriously this makes so much sense but the thing is since there's quite a lot of like/hate towards Ridley, I think somehow he could be in (at least it's unexpected to some right?)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm absolutely certain Sakurai has no idea on what he's doing with Miiverse updates and almost doesn't even know what they are about. Character reveals are decided by Nintendo and that is obvious, except maybe a few of them like Marth. There is nothing brilliant about these updates, come on.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Considering Sakurai's love of autonomy, (it's the reason Sora LTD is even a thing) I doubt he'd be on board with having Nintendo tell him how and when to do reveals. At least not without his own input as well.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
THEY CAN'T FIT COME ON THEY BARELY HAVE HANDS

When it becomes a necessity to add some form of offensive weapon to validate a character's inclusion, you should really be asking if the character fits within the context of a game such as this. For Wright I could see perhaps the argument that a gavel, or a textbook, could form a legitimate part of his offensive techniques without straying too far from the character itself. Layton I see no such feasible offensive techniques. WFT worked because her exercise schtick was adapted to fit the mould. For me, these two just don't. At least I have an argument - you have a meme. There was no need to be rude about it - simply a difference in opinion. Anyway, this is off-topic, I guess - private message me if you want to continue the discussion.

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
*cough*

Oh god, that actually happened!? Admittedly, his combat doesn't look too terrible in this game - though I'm not the biggest fan of MvC, so I can't say I'll get the chance to try it hands-on. Looks to me like a similar treatment to WFT - a combination of his varying poses given damage. Not for me, but works for this, I guess. As I said, comes down to personal opinion more than anything. Big fan of both characters, but would hate to see them bastardized for inclusion down to fan request.

D

Deleted member

Cool update (having a DOJO-esque multipicture explanation is always grand), though still a bit disappointing that March has no character reveal.
Well, there's still Monday's pic, but I'm expecting nothing.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
When it becomes a necessity to add some form of offensive weapon to validate a character's inclusion, you should really be asking if the character fits within the context of a game such as this. For Wright I could see perhaps the argument that a gavel, or a textbook, could form a legitimate part of his offensive techniques without straying too far from the character itself. Layton I see no such feasible offensive techniques. WFT worked because her exercise schtick was adapted to fit the mould. For me, these two just don't. At least I have an argument - you have a meme. There was no need to be rude about it - simply a difference in opinion. Anyway, this is off-topic, I guess - private message me if you want to continue the discussion.
Just... Whatever, really. It's OK, bye.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Is this close enough?

I hope he wasn't implying that Layton can't fight....

Anyway, it's a nice update with a closer look on Lumiose City, hope to get a better look of that Wii U Kid Icarus stage too.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The "can't fight" excuse is a load of bull. Villager happened and Sakurai himself had stated he wouldn't be fitting for a fighting game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Is this close enough?

I hope he wasn't implying that Layton can't fight....

Anyway, it's a nice update with a closer look on Lumiose City, hope to get a better look of that Wii U Kid Icarus stage too.
It's not only that he obviously doesn't know the characters at all but still judges them worthy or not to be in the game, it's the same old "This doesn't fit.".
For ****'s sake, EVERYONE FITS.
EVERYONE.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Oh god, that actually happened!? Admittedly, his combat doesn't look too terrible in this game - though I'm not the biggest fan of MvC, so I can't say I'll get the chance to try it hands-on. Looks to me like a similar treatment to WFT - a combination of his varying poses given damage. Not for me, but works for this, I guess. As I said, comes down to personal opinion more than anything. Big fan of both characters, but would hate to see them *******ized for inclusion down to fan request.
While I agree that the given two characters really don't have any attacks to use, I'd trust Sakurai to give them a robust moveset if they were included. We've all seen now what he's done with Falcon and Rosalina, two characters who never did anything except drive or speak to the player.

Also, Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 is one of my favorite characters. He's absolutely hilarious in the way he fights with papers and investigation and has the most powerful ultimate in the game that's literally nothing more than him yelling and accusing the opponent. It's amazing. xD

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
And this is slowly drifting off-topic. Mind that. You might want to continue this character related discussion to the appropriate boards or the Social thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom