• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Circuit East (Standings before championships are complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lain

Smash Master
I have a laptop with tio bloodhawkie.

i vote NOT dec. 20th. that's a huge canada tourney only 4 and a half hours away from here, and MI really wants to go.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
We gotta see if Niko can delay it for a bit, 'cause the championships are definitely the priority.

EDIT: Are mods the only ones that can make polls or something? I keep getting requests to make them... Its been a long time since I was a normal member so I seriously don't remember :/

Also, here is the poll: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208366

Vote for the day of the championship!

rofa

Smash Journeyman
as I posted in panda's poll, I believe that we should put off the championships till January. january 10th or 17th are both weekends with no current tournies in the midwest planned. IMO planning a circuit event with such little notice is silly. put it off for a month and we will get a better turnout AND have more time to plan accordingly. there's no real reason to hold it in december. we make the rules so it doesn't really matter. who's with me?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
as I posted in panda's poll, I believe that we should put off the championships till January. january 10th or 17th are both weekends with no current tournies in the midwest planned. IMO planning a circuit event with such little notice is silly. put it off for a month and we will get a better turnout AND have more time to plan accordingly. there's no real reason to hold it in december. we make the rules so it doesn't really matter. who's with me?
It matters because there won't be hardly any tournametns in January. Or February. Not only is school starting up, but we've got to deal with snow. That's why we wanna get this out of the way.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
But, some of us are already dealing with snow. (i.e. Michigan and Northern Indiana)

I honestly agree with Rofa, 5 days away from Christmas, it's honestly too hectic. And beside from the Ship's tournament on Jan. 3rd, the rest of January is good. February isn't too bad, everyone is back settled at school and such, and it seems like most of us go to school within the midwest and close to or in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, so, my vote is also for the championship to be after the first of the year.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
It matters because there won't be hardly any tournametns in January. Or February. Not only is school starting up, but we've got to deal with snow. That's why we wanna get this out of the way.
Okay, first of all, the fact that there aren't many tournaments in January or February seems like all the more reason to have it then. Both of the dates currently being tossed around are too crowded with tournaments and that will severely hinder attendance. I mean, do we really want a circuit championship to have less than 30 people? Secondly, deal with snow? There's already a ton of snow and that won't change at all in one month's time.

Also, the priority shouldn't be "getting it out of the way." We should try and host a tournament that as many people can come to as possible for the Circuit Championships. It's the championships, we should have most of the midwest there.

Honestly, at this point, planning a circuit championship with less than 3 (or 2) weeks notice is insufficient. Putting it off one month will give it a bigger turnout and we won't have people Johning because of this whole date fiasco. They would have over a month to make their plans, as they should. Seriously, other than you wanting money before christmas, I see no valid reason to host it on either one of those dates at this point. We dropped the ball a little bit on this one, and waited too long to get an official date down. Now, moving it back one month seems like the best option to garantee a successful event.

Kel

Smash Master
I completely agree with you, Rofa. But that's why I wanted to see an actual poll for it done. It's looking like January. I just hope it won't snow then....

lain

Smash Master
themann, you better bring guilty hear if you got it to the next tourney you go to. i'm gonna potemkin buster the **** out of you.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Midwest deals with snow in October some years. :( That said, don't expect a warm summer breeze in late December either. We have no clue how the weather will be by the 13th, let alone the 20th or January. Unless we postpone it to March, we're just gonna have to hope the weather cooperates at this point, regardless of what date we plan it on. January sounds like a good idea, there's plenty of other tournaments through December to keep us sharp and February is a bit far off.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Yeah, January here has always been really weird. Last couple years on New Year's, we have gotten like 2 feet of snow, then two weeks later, the temperature will reach 60, then a week or two later, the temperature can't even get above 10 and gets like -10 at night. Great lakes weather is REALLY odd.

If it is January, then it should probably be like the third week so that there's a little breathing room between the Kish's tournament and this one (Kish's is January 3rd here in South Bend, and it's not FC -_-)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We need to get this done ASAP.... there's no reason to hold it off. People knew the circuit final was in Dec. and everyone that would go is watching this thread, it isn't like it is a crazy surprise

Tink

Smash Hero
ya, i dont like to agree with OS :p....but this has been talked about for awhile, and even if it doesss get moved, the attendance wont be that big of a difference...3 weeks notice is plenty for a tournament <_<. specailly one thats been talked about way before the 3 weeks. cant try to pick a date thats gonna be good for everyone, cause it wont happen <_<.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
We need to get this done ASAP.... there's no reason to hold it off. People knew the circuit final was in Dec. and everyone that would go is watching this thread, it isn't like it is a crazy surprise
honestly man, you are not the dictator. as i said, there is no need to put this kind of arbitrary importance on having it in december. what's the difference in delaying it 3 weeks if it means more people can come?

if EVERYONE who would go is watching this thread and hence agrees with everything you've said in it, why don't you prove it by putting it up for a vote and see how many people vote your way. if EVERYONE agrees with you then there won't be a problem. there's already tournies on both the dates in december, and by putting it in january we would get alot more people to go.

it's not overswarm's rules. this circuit is run by the community, so they should have the say. what, are you scared of getting beaten if more people come? or do u just want $ b4 the holiday season? both of these are invalid reasons, whether or not you admit they are factors.

clowsui

Smash Legend
and this happens on the week where i DON'T have internet?

LOL

let me find crossroads again and we'll see what's up for a cincinnati tourney

Overswarm

is laughing at you
honestly man, you are not the dictator. as i said, there is no need to put this kind of arbitrary importance on having it in december. what's the difference in delaying it 3 weeks if it means more people can come?

if EVERYONE who would go is watching this thread and hence agrees with everything you've said in it, why don't you prove it by putting it up for a vote and see how many people vote your way. if EVERYONE agrees with you then there won't be a problem. there's already tournies on both the dates in december, and by putting it in january we would get alot more people to go.

it's not overswarm's rules. this circuit is run by the community, so they should have the say. what, are you scared of getting beaten if more people come? or do u just want $ b4 the holiday season? both of these are invalid reasons, whether or not you admit they are factors.
You can't be serious. >_<

Championships take priority, and they were planned for either the 13th or 20th. I don't understand exactly how people can say "these are bad tournament dates due to holiday stuff" and then "there are already tournaments on these dates", but whatever.

It's Kel's circuit, btw. Not the community's circuit. Ultimately his call.

All I know is that ending it in December like we were supposed to makes sense... we have a venue, let's just do it on the 20th.

Tink

Smash Hero
i dont see how everyone being at home for christmas break, isnt the best time to do this. when noone has school they have to worry about, is a good thing.....even if mlk weekend is a 3 day weekend, people are still gonna have to worry about school by that time.

i think this is a HUGE plus...what reason is there for not having it on the 20th other then this notion that we "might" get a low turnout because of christmas? the best time to do tournaments has been during breaks.

not trying to argue, just want to know peoples opinions on this <_<....other then, "well, i cant go, so im making a fuss" <_<.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Here's the thing though, yes there are other tournaments probably, but how many are supposed to be this BIG.

I'm not sure how far you are taking this championships take priority, but I consider family more of a priority for this time of season. I know my opinion might not matter as much because I am so far back from the front in points, but January is a time when everything opens up. Now through the new year, its all family and friends for me. I still go with mid to late January.

Kel

Smash Master
I'm just the steward, OS. I organize the tournaments, update points, hold the funds, work with TOs, etc. The service is to the community, therefore, if the consensus of the community is that they want it in January, I'd be obliged to do so.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, Kel. Everyone appreciates the work you have done, and continue to do.

QQ more OS

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm just the steward, OS. I organize the tournaments, update points, hold the funds, work with TOs, etc. The service is to the community, therefore, if the consensus of the community is that they want it in January, I'd be obliged to do so.
Then I hereby take command of the circuit and the golden army and announce it is on the 20th! Bloodhawk make the date!

That was an awful movie.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
3rd strike?

pat have you played sf2 HD yet? it's hot...
I used to play a ton of 3rd Strike back in the day and went to a few tournaments for it. I was a Necro/Ken player. Emphasis on Necro. I always felt a connection with Necro IDK why. He's a cool character. If there is one thing I can say about myself it is that I always play characters I feel I have a connection with.

I need to check sf2: HD, haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm sure it is happenin though. I know I'll miss Necro, but at least I still have Ken.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
SF2HD is too good. Someone needs to bring that, because I'll be ****** peoples with Fei Long. Or I could bust out my Lain-eating Ky in GG:AC.

Kel

Smash Master
Kay, so I talked to the leader of the JASS (Japanese American Student Society) club at UC today and found out some stuff:

-UC has been on them to hold a club-organized or sponsored event
-They are also required to pass out fliers around the campus (bringing in outside locals)
-They can rent TVs from the school for the day for us to use.
-It's cheap

The club leader sounded really enthusiastic about it and is going to check with the UC scheduling office and get back to me on Friday. I told her MLK weekend is probably the best date, but a later time is also ok.

So we may have a venue in Cincinnati for GUNPUNCH!1. I'll know Friday hopefully. The question whether or not this will be the circuit event will depend on the availability of Dastrn's old venue and the championship date poll.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Kay, so I talked to the leader of the JASS (Japanese American Student Society) club at UC today and found out some stuff:

-UC has been on them to hold a club-organized or sponsored event
-They are also required to pass out fliers around the campus (bringing in outside locals)
-They can rent TVs from the school for the day for us to use.
-It's cheap

The club leader sounded really enthusiastic about it and is going to check with the UC scheduling office and get back to me on Friday. I told her MLK weekend is probably the best date, but a later time is also ok.

So we may have a venue in Cincinnati for GUNPUNCH!1. I'll know Friday hopefully. The question whether or not this will be the circuit event will depend on the availability of Dastrn's old venue and the championship date poll.
That's how you do it baby!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
nice find, kel.

I can look into MLK weekend for ya'll if you want. I'm pretty sure the 20th is still open, but the votes are going january at this point. I'll need a decision on the 20th date by friday of this week to give them time to lock in that date for you all. If it's January, the sooner we set a date the better (if we're using my venue.)

Kel's venue sounds like it could be a good solution. I won't be offended if you guys turn down my venue for one of your own.

Also, I may be back in the midwest around this time next year. If so, we'll plan something massive for January of 2010 at my venue.

Also, I'm still hunting for a big venue in Phoenix to host a national tournament. I was hoping to have it all worked out already, but alas RL has held me down. But if I DO work out a national tourney, it'll probably be for late june. I'd love it to have the support of the midwest to make it a reality. I'll keep ya'll posted for sure.

(I'll even save sleeping space at my apartment for 5-6 of ya'll!)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Question. Can doubles points carry over when forming a new team?

IE: I have 6 doubles points and my partner has 8, but they are both with different teammates. What happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom