• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Development Thread. New thing to read!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
My rounds with boss were about 7 minutes each... if you roll, spotdodge, or airdodge into them, you lose.
This is as true as it gets

When I play Lou, I never roll into him. Always back.

When I airdodge down I eat the fsmash

When I spotdodge, I get the SHORYUKEN.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I never get up B'd by Luigi anymore. But fsmash is insane. I got smashed while trying to clap the dude from above him, I wasn't even close to his fingers, yet somehow they went right up my ***.

Jesus Luigi, if I wanted a doctor, I wouldn't have called a plumber!

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Upset that your idol lost to Krsystedez? I'm sure you can meat ride him so more when he beats ficiton. Tell me more bout dat MU pl0x.
Krys beating larry ONCE doesnt prove anything.

I actually gained a lot of respect for him for doing that though. He said he loves fighting falco and then he beat DEHF. Props to him.

you however are and always will be an annoying wifi scrub who has no idea what he's talking about. :)

Also larry isnt my idol, although he's a cool guy.

EDIT: with that i'd also like to apologize to krys. I still think your playstyle is stupid, but if it works for you then that's great. i shouldnt try to change the way you do things if you're seeing success *shrug*

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I actually gained a lot of respect for him for doing that though. He said he loves fighting falco and then he beat DEHF. Props to him.

you however are and always will be an annoying wifi scrub who has no idea what he's talking about. :)

EDIT: with that i'd also like to apologize to krys. I still think your playstyle is stupid, but if it works for you then that's great. i shouldnt try to change the way you do things if you're seeing success *shrug*
Yeah I know I'm bad =/.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I never get up B'd by Luigi anymore. But fsmash is insane. I got smashed while trying to clap the dude from above him, I wasn't even close to his fingers, yet somehow they went right up my ***.

Jesus Luigi, if I wanted a doctor, I wouldn't have called a plumber!
Upairs hitbox on/under Wario is actually quite small, so anything that outranges it is gonna **** you, especially if it's high priority, as luigi's moves are.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path

Dont call it stupid til you've tried it :) (or fallen to it...lol!)

You can watch my matches against Big Lou to see generally how my real bike style is. Although it varies character to character. Like I said, I beat DEHF without having to use too much bike at all, primarily because I was forcing myself out of those habits to avoid being reflected against! Hate being betrayed by my bike.

CO18

Smash Hero
kryz is nasty sux he got dqed couldve gone way farther, biglou he lost to last hit first game he ***** him though

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

LOL this is the most arrogant pile of crap I've read in a while. Haters gonna hate I suppose...

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Hey guys, since this is the metagame thread I figured I would ask this here.

I'm picking up Wario as my alternate/secondary (whatever you wanna call it) and was curious as to any advanced techniques that really help his game. I've been slowly reading through the various guides in the useful links thread so I'm sure I'll come across everything eventually but just wanted to see what input you guys had as for what to focus on and what to make sure I know how to do 100% of the time.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Hey guys, since this is the metagame thread I figured I would ask this here.

I'm picking up Wario as my alternate/secondary (whatever you wanna call it) and was curious as to any advanced techniques that really help his game. I've been slowly reading through the various guides in the useful links thread so I'm sure I'll come across everything eventually but just wanted to see what input you guys had as for what to focus on and what to make sure I know how to do 100% of the time.
Perfect all lengths of DACUS
Perfect the bike crash into the ledge so you can use the bike to edge guard/ tires
Buffered downthrows. (this is probably going to be the hardest thing)

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Sounds good, I'll work on those things.

For the buffered down throws, do you mean as a CG though? Like, d-throw buffer turn around grab, d-throw?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't know if this was mentioned before but I think Wario has a way to reliably shield stab people. You can throw down a tire from the air and then hit their shield with a down air. If you do it right the tire bounces off the ground and hits the shield again. That way he has to stay in his shield and you can do an up B. If you DI it behind your opponent you may even land behind the bouncing tire which might serve as some kind of "shield" that covers you in your lag if the shield stab fails. But a lot of the times I tried it the opponent couldn't shield all hits of Wario's up B because the down air and the tire already ate to much of the opponent's shield.

It's not very practical to do and it doesn't work against characters with invincible up B moves (Marth, MK, Samus, Mario but also Wolf with his shine) but I think it's very good against big characters like DK, Bowser or D3.

Sorry if this is already known but I haven't seen any Wario do it yet. Wouldn't be surprised if Glutonny actually did it already though.

:059:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I've done this a few times as a trap, but I believe I did upair (to push them into the tire) > nair shieldpoke > followup. Up B is a bit of a waste for a shieldpoke, and it still sucks to lose the tire.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I've done this a few times as a trap, but I believe I did upair (to push them into the tire) > nair shieldpoke > followup. Up B is a bit of a waste for a shieldpoke, and it still sucks to lose the tire.
upB fresh is legit. wait, not really but it makes you feel like a boss when you pull it off.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
With controller rumble on, it just feels so good to feel it rumble like there's no tomorrow when you hit the full thing.

It lasts an age, too, feels like 500% damage. Not that 18% is anything to sneeze at.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I have rumble off I don't even like playing with a GC controller why did my classic have to shie on the ditter.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
If it makes you guys feel any better, I'll train hard to beat him again next time, as well as any other falcos. Looking back now on the discussion we had on Falco here I was sorta mindblown from the fact I had just played the best Falco in the nation. But in all honesty I think the match was pretty weird and lopsided in both favors , I mean seriously, he lost to me, someone who only gets about 2-3 falcos to play. And then I got CG'd to all hell and back on Battlefield and got myself three-stocked like as if I wasn't even trying.

I think that day was a weird day. You can throw it out on all accounts if you want to. But I seen him play now, and I know what I did that was wrong. I just hope I can prove myself again and win in this matchup, it's definitely my favorite right now.

Padô

Smash Lord
FF Lagged Dair + Rumble on Landing + The "big rock hitting the ground" sound it makes = priceless.

U mad. All of u mad.
Masky's got a point.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Well I say its not personal because it has nothing to do with the fact that you are Kry. Its the fact that you play wario.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Care to elaborate? I'm just curious what you think of the matchup personally when you are fighting Falco yourself, perhaps even just Larry's Falco. I mean, people are saying it's because DEHF hasn't been beaten by a wario for a long *** time and that's why all the "surprise surprise" is in order. Is that all there is to it?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Well I say its not personal because it has nothing to do with the fact that you are Kry. Its the fact that you play wario.
So you're upset that another Wario beat DEHF....I see maybe you should ask kry for some tips so you can beat DEHF also.

@Krys he thinks the MU is in Falco's favor.?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I don't know if he is upset rather, more just surprised.

If everyone honestly thinks Falco has the MU advantage, it's fine, but until we've delved deeper into Wario's approaching game and stuff and how hard it is for a wario to take down a falco versus the other way around, instead of just looking at "he has this this and that options which are negated by this and that option by Falco...", we aren't truly at equilibrium as far as the MU goes.

I think Falco deserves more attention just like DEDEDE does, how like, Dedede's matchup changes based on stage.

I still think it's 50-50.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I'm very surprised haha. Well I think larry makes dumb mistakes at out of state tourneys a lot and loses to people he wouldnt if he were at home. I'm not trying to make your win seem smaller than it is, I'm just saying that I still think larry is better haha.

Um about the matchup I think its still pretty obvious its in falcos favor.

edit@ almostlegendary: do you have something against me?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'm very surprised haha. Well I think larry makes dumb mistakes at out of state tourneys a lot and loses to people he wouldnt if he were at home. I'm not trying to make your win seem smaller than it is, I'm just saying that I still think larry is better haha.

Sorta kinda shifty niftily contradicted yourself there mate. If you want to discuss metagame and matchups, that's fine, even if it's under player vs player criteria rather than character vs character. But you started off saying nothing personal, now it is, because it's Larry you're talking about and me you're talking about in terms of skill. If you think he's better, that's fine and all, but keep it to social and power ranking threads or something /backseat-moderating much? (nothing personal, just saying)

I can understand if the dude made mistakes. That's all brawl is though; capitalizing on the opponent's mistake. It was his mistake to strike to halberd, his mistake to SD, his mistake to think he had the win because he three-stocked me, and his mistake he got up from the ledge too fast on brinstar last stock. Also, might be his mistake for not banning an actual wario stage (I don't even know what he banned for sure)

And you're crazy if you're saying Larry is better than Wario period, he's not a character!

HugS™

Smash Lord
Ay look Fiction, I'll take care of this.

Since I'm not invested in any way, and thus won't sound defensive by saying this...

It was a fluke Krystedez, you won't beat Larry again at your current state. He suicided on game one, he ***** you game two, then you beat him on an Auto win stage like Brinstar.

You're good enough to beat a 50% Larry I guess, and that's as telling as your win can get. It doesn't mean a thing to either characters' matchups. At most it means you shouldn't be taken too lightly.

You might be a nice guy though, so this all may come off d***-ish on my part. I just feel the need to say something because you have this tone that shows a lack of surprise in your win. Actually, you only seem surprised that DEHF is the best falco in the nation and that he hasn't lost to a Wario in ages. What you don't seem surprised about is that you beat him, at least that's what your tone gives off. That's the only reason I'm chiming in to say something.

I'll be the first to publicly apologize if you do it again.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

Na, nothing against you at all. Why do you think that?

Since I'm not invested in any way, and thus won't sound defensive by saying this...

It was a fluke Krystedez, you won't beat Larry again at your current state. He suicided on game one, he ***** you game two, then you beat him on an Auto win stage like Brinstar.

You're good enough to beat a 50% Larry I guess, and that's as telling as your win can get. It doesn't mean a thing to either characters' matchups. At most it means you shouldn't be taken too lightly.

You might be a nice guy though, so this all may come off d***-ish on my part. I just feel the need to say something because you have this tone that shows a lack of surprise in your win. Actually, you only seem surprised that DEHF is the best falco in the nation and that he hasn't lost to a Wario in ages. What you don't seem surprised about is that you beat him, at least that's what your tone gives off. That's the only reason I'm chiming in to say something.

Haze lost to a OOK on green greens with dk because he did a dthrow next to a bomb. I fail to see your point. They played a set during that set Kyrs was better. It's also not Krys fault for CP properly and taking advantage of that. Kyrs is one of the top Wario's so it shouldn't be a surprise he beat DEHF at all.

HugS™

Smash Lord
It shouldn't be a surprise that an inexperienced Wifi wario beat a guy who has been considered a Wario slayer and the best Falco for 2 years now? Are you ********?

LoL don't get me started on ook vs Haze

If you think I'm trying to argue that these matches never happened, and that these less deserving players didn't really win, you're missing my point.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path

I'll be the first to publicly announce that I don't give a rat's patooney that I beat larry, as I already have before in the experience thread and such when I was discussing my DQ.

All I care is that the matchup experience I get is taken into account and that people take me seriously when we're discussiong the metagame. Sure, if I had excelled further into the bracket, then maybe I might have taken my win against DEHF a little more seriously, but at this point all people are ever going to do is either attempt to inflate my ego more because I beat the best falco in the nation with a crap stagelist at a national, or they will down my win as something flukish, just like you are doing.

I say we just throw it out the window. I have the potential to beat him again, but it doesn't auto-mean I'm going to do it. Same goes for his part. You can't just say he was at 50 percent power or something, I mean, wow, I guess I can say the same thing when I went to my worst stage against Falco, BF. I was totally 25 percent power there, I didn't even take my own advice. (I really wish that match was recorded so I could see where I was going wrong)

I really don't mind if people have an issue with this at all, or want to try to further explain why DEHF lost. The truth is, I started discussing the falco matchup before knowing what was going to happen at MLG. I am still discussing it as such. My match with DEHF changed nothing about my mindset for this particular character. About the only thing I learned was a little of DEHF's style, nothing to take into account for the matchup itself. that's why I asked Fiction his opinion when he versed DEHF, what should be/shouldn't be done. That's what this thread is for.

All this discussion on Me Vs DEHF... It's not useful. If you think I'm not surprised that I beat him, than you're sadly mistaken. The truth is, I was very pleased and pleasantly surprised I beat A Falco, whether or not he was Larry, because I researched hard to pick the stages I could. If he banned Brinstar I would have taken him to RC or Pictochat, or maybe even Pokemon Stadium (since thats the stage he striked in order to go to Halberd o.O)

If you think I'm trying to argue that these matches never happened, and that these less deserving players didn't really win, you're missing my point.
And now you just made it personal if you really mean that "less deserving" part, unless you think he thinks you think I'm less deserving (lol confusing). In which case disregard this.

Padô

Smash Lord

I can see your point there but, sincerely, I just can't understand why people are comming here and start doubting Krystedez potential, if someone have some to do with it, its DEHF, and he hasn't shown since then. We really hope to see him around here and explain about the match himself. By the way, there nothing he or you guys can do to change what's done, Krystedez won, if DEHF SD'd or messed up it's only his own fault everything else said it's johns about stage/controller/whateveritis/imonabadday.

DEHF is an AWESOME player as all of us know, he ain't got to prove anything, it's already been proven, but it doens't justify any of his losses or wins.

Also, he picked Brinstar because he wanted to win and it's probably one of the best wario counterpicks in the game, If we take this argument as correct all of us should pick Brinstar against Larry because he sucks there and its AUTOWIN, the point it: no stage is AUTOWIN. Unless you pick DDD against DK on Green Greens... OH WAIT

Top Bottom