• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's New Match Up Thread: Marth

lilseph

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, i just want to say that i have gotten permission to take over the MU thread because really... it hasn't gotten very far, and i want to take a shot at the job. I'm writing up Summaries for MK, Falco, and Diddy as we speak, not quite sure what to do with the info but i have it:laugh:

Anyways bare with me on this for now, i'll get the hang of the whole business as i go on, and i hope this will all work out for more than a week lol.

Ok, I'm going to shut up now

"Trying to grab release us^" - Kassy

GO!:chuckle:

Albert.

Smash Master
You know the ditto? Good, this is like that just easier.
You are truly an idiot.

budget player connect knos this from the 9 marth mains hes played (CPU lvls 1-9)
I laughed out loud

Anyway, I hate this match-up from both sides, I'd rather just do the dittos. Marth has a lot of tools for dealing with nado so bait that **** like a pro.

Watch m2k vs Mike for a feel on how to frame trap top Marths

Enzo

Smash Lord
you wont be doing too much dair gimping in this MU (unless hes really far offstage) cos of the sheer speed of his gtfo (Dolphinslash/up-B), ur main gimp should be ledgehogging.

Limit recovering on the stage with Drill Rush/ nado because of his counter which goes through both of those.
Grab releases are gay, he can auto-spike if he spaces his grab properly near the edge to your death.

Marth's uair beats MK's uair so just keep that in mind.

Nadoing above a marth on the ledge leaves him pretty much optionless

Marth's like to "fair plank" which doesnt give you many options against it. Best to do to counter it is try to nado the ledge or just stand there and let marth keep planking. He'll stop eventually.
Ummm.
I'll add more if think of anything

Counterpicks:
The gay couple ( Rainbow Cruise/ Brinstar)

Bans:
Picto if its allowed at ur tourney, It makes gimping Marth harder from the bottom
if not
then just ban a stage u particularly dislike or that marth likes

clowsui

Smash Legend
this post won't seem to reflect it but this matchup is 60:40 MK with an LGL (55:45 on FD/SV (SV only if the marth knows how to properly use platform cancel and has memorized the platform's pattern)/maybe BF). 65:35 without an LGL and the MK knows how to plank properly. 10:00 timer without LGL? idk, 10:00 with LGL makes this closer to a 55:45 though.

the #1 thing to stress in this matchup is a very solid ground game. you're gonna have trouble getting marth to jump some/a lot of the time. you are not only aiming to hit with forward tilts and aiming to hit with down tilts, but you're looking to work on a very tight reactionary spacing battle up close. once marth gains reads on the neutral, he is in a winning or at the very least even position vs metaknight simply because his character attributes tend towards taking momentum very easily provided the marth knows this MU and knows the angles/positions that MK has the most trouble getting out of once he's in them. marth is a character you can't afford to get hit by because he follows up very well. mix up a lot. best options in order imo are fsmash, grab, ftilt, dtilt, forward roll cross up, shfair (last two are close). i don't see proper tornado use very much in this matchup, so idk how good it is :<

another important thing to stress in this matchup is changing up horizontal/vertical juggle situations. marth has better horizontal mobility than you and takes advantage of MK very easily if you let him go parallel or below, better than most characters in the cast thanks to his excellent aerial mobility + range. you want to trick the marth to committing not only to attacks but to specific directions so you dictate when/where he goes in the air and when/where he lands. once you do that marth struggles to land a lot - and by struggle i don't necessarily means takes damage but gets into a lot of bad positions that frighten him if you take advantage of them opportunistically and passive/aggressively (i.e. sometimes hitting in the position and sometimes not so you condition certain reactions).

edgeguarding is a lot of rock/paper/scissors and a lot of position games rather than hitting games. it's good to hit marth offstage but the problem is overcommitment or shortsightedness. i'm not actually too sure on this one because my MK blows at edgeguarding/i haven't played against Kel's MK often enough and he's good at edgeguarding my marth (even though I have a lot of patterns while recovering). if you're not secure about offstage edgeguarding then the ledge trap (the proper one, not the one where you just use a lot of dumb nados and badly timed/mixed/spaced forward smashes that i see tons of MKs do nowadays...though it's getting better) is the way to go. stand just inside his roll, poke down tilt occasionally, mix up positioning (and charge, obviously) of forward smash while walking around to disguise when you start up, short hop and ff'd full hops used a little more than down tilt (baits shield getups and ledgehop aerials, both actions that are high on commitment and therefore not very good vs MK...caerful on those ledgehop aerials though, range is surprisingly good and rather deceptive), ftilt1 as much as you dtilt (riskier than dtilt though, misspaced and read = marth rising fairs from the ledge/gets more time to get up).

in terms of counterpicks, go wherever you're most comfortable. if you know how to properly abuse YI/LC timeout tactics that don't involve ledgegrabbing, those aren't bad choices at all especially since both of them are capable of messing with marth's aerial/ground games very easily though they both offer distinct advantages to marth. if norfair is available, avoid picking it unless you're REALLY good at timing out bceause marth's advantages are strong on that stage to the point where MK has a tough time dealing w/ it...at least in all cases i've seen. RC/brinstar? ehhh, brinstar > RC but it's not like marth is better than you on RC (just way underrated for marth and underpracticed by marth mains). chances are they'll ban brinstar though. frigate or delfino? i'd say delfino simply because of how gay having a lead is on there, lol.

recovering as MK. marth's ledge trap vs MK when executed properly is rock/paper/scissors vs MK. i dunno how to say something not obvious, lol...don't overuse certain options, make sure you use all of them, try to be as safe as possible, be patient, etc. one thing that's deceptive about marth's ledgetrap is the short hop though. if marth is very jumpy and properly mixes aerials and landings during his short hops, he is baiting nado, early getup attack, get up shield, get up roll, or ledge hop stuff; i don't mean stupid jumps i mean carefully timed/changed up (landing point + timing of aerial + spacing of aerial + fast fall or not) ones. the way to beat this is to time the getup attack when you think he's going to start the swing so that you catch him as he's landing. marths that are smart about their ledge trap are often smartest with their hops and are very surprised by this. even though he's baiting it, the ledgehop nado is still fairly useful in this situation if you're tricky and they have "meh" reactions. if the marth likes to walk around a lot it means they want you to jump or do a defensive action or keep resetting you to pressure. in this case you want to do the away ledgehop (i dunno how to describe the command sequence, lol, but it's noticeably different from just doing normal ledgehop and moving away after that) and see how they react, or getup->buffered ground action XX

this is just my perspective as a marth secondary/ex-marth main who plays this matchup a lot to help out a fellow marth as well observing different styles of MK through videos/gameplay at tournaments. i talked to mr-r about the ground game and how he should seek to "read the neutral" vs. MK and it worked very nicely for him against orion...if that lends any credibility to me xD

Albert.

Smash Master
BLM edit your sig so it makes sense without the context of this thread

instead of

"he knows it from the level 9 cpus"
Put

"he knows the marth match up from level 9 cpus

EDIT: WOW I CANT BELIEVE that I just accidentally used your smash tag instead of "CEDRICK's BRO!"

Takuto

Smash Rookie
This matchup isn't hard if you know
- how to control Meta Knight
- Marth's old-and-predictable-but-people-still-do-anyway gimmicks
- how not to get grabbed
- that ftilt, fair, and upb [oos] are your best friends.
- Marth's tipper spacing

That's really it. Besides that just space everything carefully and don't fall for typical ****.

Rockan

Smash Apprentice
Walking is good in this match up, just wait for him to try and approach you and do a grounded up B, grab, or an fsmash

and if he trys to claw away mk can just nado it.

and keep him pressured on the ledge, nair isnt that good for gimping, but dair is.

falling down with nair while marth is recovering the ledge isnt that good of an idea because marths up B beats it.

When your near the ledge jump away because marths grab realse to spike does work if the marth is frame perfect.

marths full hop fair beats mk short hop fair, so dont try to camp with fair to much.

pressure marths sheild with nado, and if he trys to punish you by dashing just nado away, wait till he trys to grab or sworddance you and just nado again.

you have to be smart about your nados, punish him when he does a badly spaced fair, or when he is recoviring (to the side when he is at lowish percent)

If he trys to up B oos at low percent you can upair string to nado and its a free kill, but you kind of have to read marths DI.

and another funny thing is, marth can't really punish full hop nair, so if your in a bad sitaation with your sheild do nair out of sheild.

dont try to combo with dash attack because marth can up B right after you try a grab or a nair.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
full hop nair i definitely need to use more, its better than SHing in this matchup but it still leaves you in a ****ty position...

also, if marth full hop fairs he leaves himself to be juggled really bad so i dont thinks as safe as you allude to

also, fsmashing is asking to get tippered i think vs better players :/

otherwise i agree w/ everything

RATED

Smash Lord
if most boards, were as productive as Metaknight boards, they won't ***** that much about MK being broken.

my bad for changing the topic.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
probably but a LOT of the posts are from the same people, just mad lurkers

dojos been posting more now though, and i really appreciate it :D

lilseph

Smash Ace
Yah your info is generally correct. Main thing i want to point out is that most of the dmg for bothj characters is going to come when your opponent is off the stage. THROW MARTH OFF THE STAGE, i'm an ex-marth main, and it is a ***** to get back on when fighting a decent/good MK. Same thing with MK, if your off the stage and marth is edge guarding you, you MIGHT take 60% before you get back on, you might not even get back to the stage. Both of them have incredible edge guarding games, and thats where most of the % is going to come from. 1 last thing, when recovering as MK, don't get dtilted... for the love of god, don't get dtilted.

tl:dr practice edge guarding, it will help you a lot in the MU.

Also:

Jump
Duration: 19 / Invincibility: 1-19 / Vulnerable frames: 0
Summary: It should be noted that there are ZERO vulnerability frames. Mega safe option.

This option is VERY safe, just don't overuse it because you can still get punished for it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
MK can recover against marth without taking damage as long as he is patient and knows what to look for, DON'T GLIDE BACK lol

lilseph

Smash Ace
yah, you could get back to the stage without taking dmg. I put the "MIGHT" in caps because there is a possibiltiy that you could take that amount of dmg. Marth def has a harder time getting back than MK does though.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Also:

Jump
Duration: 19 / Invincibility: 1-19 / Vulnerable frames: 0
Summary: It should be noted that there are ZERO vulnerability frames. Mega safe option.

This option is VERY safe, just don't overuse it because you can still get punished for it.
Realize that this is over 100%

V

Smash Ace
I used to think this MU was pretty difficult but then I stepped back and really looked at what both characters can do. When you're airborne Marth has the advantage since he has more range and can punish whatever you do. Its definitely best just to stay grounded and make him approach. Since both characters are aware of how they each can take advantage of mistakes in spacing, a lot of the match is just throwing pokes out looking for openings. Ftilt3 outranges his fair and jab. Our dtilt beats his although its practically the same range but ours is faster (3 frames to his 7). If he tries to approach from the air we can basically beat everything with GSL. Something I read on the Marth boards is that if we're spacing dtilts on his shield one after the other, he can shield drop > perfect shield > Dsmash and it tips before our next dtilt comes out, just heads up for that. Whenever he's on the ledge its pretty much a free tornado. On the stage all 4 of his specials can be used to beat nado (DS has invincibility, DB and SB have transcending priority, and counter is obvious) you have to be really smart about your nado. The only safe times to do it are if he's above you and on the ledge. The angle of his fair can hit the top of your head if you nado at a 45 degree angle below him. Gimping is probably our best kill option. If you read his recovery right, dair wrecks him. You can also time the edgehog too, but just watch out for his DB stall > DS. Despite all our options, he can edgeguard us and ledge trap us pretty well. I don't know all the specifics about this aspect of the match, but just exercise all your safe options to make it back. He can counter nado and glide attack, any ledge hop aerial can be shielded to DB or DS and the situation is reset, if we SL and he shields it he can punish with uair and then we're in position for him to juggle us. We can try to airdodge > froll, but Marth punishes rolling very well if he reads it. Idk i guess you just gotta figure it out mid match depending on his positioning and everything else. First 2 hits of bair > Dsmash is a good kill option. Grabs are golden. We can punish whiffed aerials with dash attack > nair/uair > nado. Just play smart and watch you're spacing.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
When you're airborne Marth has the advantage since he has more range and can punish whatever you do.
1. Marth's aerials have much more lag leaving himself open to alot of punishing.

2. Mk's upB outprioritizes his Uair, and Nair. Plus it's quickness escapes Marth's counter.

Oh, if this hasn't been said, beware of Marth's Fair. It CAN kill 'nado.

V

Smash Ace
1. Marth's aerials have much more lag leaving himself open to alot of punishing.

2. Mk's upB outprioritizes his Uair, and Nair. Plus it's quickness escapes Marth's counter.

Oh, if this hasn't been said, beware of Marth's Fair. It CAN kill 'nado.
Marths fair nair and uair auto cancel. Good marth's also don't whiff moves and his fair beats ours which is why its advised to stay grounded. What kinda position will we be in to sl his uair? If he tries to ff uair us on the ground he's dumb... fair only beats nado if he tips the top of our head which is hard to do. Counter and dancing blade are better options to beat nado

Staco

Smash Champion
This MU is so ****ing hard.
I actually think it´s 50/50.
Tornado goes through counter (the counter won´t hit), so tornado is a good way to get back to the stage, but pay attention for the up B.

If MK hits Marth shield with an aerial Marth is able to always punish him for it, except he is doing a retreating late fair. :s
But since no Marth is doing this perfectly, because it´s really hard you don´t have to be scared of this to much.
It still makes the MU really hard, Marths walk + shield options are sooo good. :s

Most of you are looking at the MU as if Marth would just jump around and throw out aerials or DTilts, that´s not how a top marth will play this MU.

Spacing and Zoning is such important in that MU, don´t let him take too much space from you and always try to move forward, when there is place.

etecoon

Smash Hero
it's closeish on FD only, MK wins on every other stage IMO

even if you make contact with counter and avoid the hit it's actually a bad idea because it gives marth extra hitstun the next time he hits you and gives him a lot of true combos that he wouldn't have otherwise. if you see him doing it while you nado just hang back a moment and wait for it, you usually have time with nado

Staco

Smash Champion
The MU is evenish or close to evenish, even on CPs, if bull**** such as RC isn´t allowed and it´s not allowed in europe. :s

and another funny thing is, marth can't really punish full hop nair, so if your in a bad sitaation with your sheild do nair out of sheild.
Sure he can.

V

Smash Ace
Watch mikehaze vs tyrant at MoS5 to see marth's follow ups after counter doesn't hit. This is called the "stun jacket"

lilseph

Smash Ace
hate the stun jacket.

Also i think i'm going to wrap this up and make a final (not really final) summary/ratio.
I think i'm going to put it 55:45, but if there any objections please let me know. Keep talking about the MU, ill be updating the summary as it goes along but i'm going to start now.

V

Smash Ace
hate the stun jacket.

Also i think i'm going to wrap this up and make a final (not really final) summary/ratio.
I think i'm going to put it 55:45, but if there any objections please let me know. Keep talking about the MU, ill be updating the summary as it goes along but i'm going to start now.
55-45 sounds perfect. We have better tools than him but its a very precise spacing matchup for both characters. We both juggle and edgeguard eachother well. This match is tougher than snake for me

lilseph

Smash Ace
55-45 sounds perfect. We have better tools than him but its a very precise spacing matchup for both characters. We both juggle and edgeguard eachother well. This match is tougher than snake for me
Agreed, i personally think marth is out third hardest MU (next to Falco and diddy). He is taken lightly by a lot of MK mains i don't understand why, he is a fantastic character in the right hands and is a huge threat to MK.

V

Smash Ace
Agreed, i personally think marth is out third hardest MU (next to Falco and diddy). He is taken lightly by a lot of MK mains i don't understand why, he is a fantastic character in the right hands and is a huge threat to MK.
I agree about him being our 3rd hardest match up. I'm actually gonna start maining him and pocket mk

V

Smash Ace
IMO, diddy, falco, snake, Wario are harder than this guy

i think its 60-40 but that's just me, marth has limited tools vs mk,

EDIT: seph, when are we doing wario ; ;
Wario is a sinch play campy and defensive with tilts fair and gsl

lilseph

Smash Ace
wario is not as hard as Marth.
Wario will be coming soon, i wanted to get olimar out of the way for obvious reasons >.>

Top Bottom