• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Kaffei

Smash Hero
yo i find it hard to control mk with tap jump on for some reason, i play marth with it on but i mess upp with mk in the air got any hints?
Just practice. M2K plays with tap jump on all the time

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
The problem with tap jump off is sometimes you wont be able to reverse Up-b OoS.

Edit: Without altering you're controller scheme.

I don't do that. I play with Tap Jump on with Mk and Tap jump off with everyone else except Ganon, Wolf and Falcon

Master Raven

Smash Master
I use tap jump on for MK and any other character that can possibly benefit from it.

For others who don't such as Wario and Snake I just turn it off.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
i wanna play mk with tapjump on , and with everyone else for that matter. Example:when i upair with mk and tapjump is on i always jump when i dont want to at some point so how do i take this bad habit away?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I have tap jump off and L set to jump.

Personally I find this the most fluid way to play metaknight.

But i'm also really fast with up B oos in general, so switching to L Up B isn't really that difficult

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Yeah, I know Player 4. Like I said without changing your controller scheme. I prefer just tap jump on with Mk, Ganon, Falcon, Wolf, and Ike. Tap jump off for everyone else. I don't see how anyone can play Peach with tap jump on.

NNID
Budget_Player
wow BPC making sense? Maybe the rapture really did come!
***** I've been making sense for quite a long time. 'bout time I got some respect round here.

what? up B is basically unpunishable... you should never worry about abusing it. it's known to be one of the best moves in the game for a reason
Bad players and bad characters can't punish upB. Don't overuse it.

Staco

Smash Champion
what? up B is basically unpunishable... you should never worry about abusing it. it's known to be one of the best moves in the game for a reason
Actually people overrate Up B a lot.
It´s one of Mks best, but also one of his worst moves.

Up B can be punished so bad actually.
If someone shields a grounded up B or outspaces it he can punish it in every way possible.
Doing a stupid Up B at high % means getting killed vs. good players, so I try to barely use it at high %, except in combination with platforms (thats one reason why FD is horrible for MK).

Doing an aerial Up B for example to kill an enemy, who is offstage can give him a free hit, if he outspaces or dodges it, which can also lead to a kill and it take aways your position advantage, giving your opponent the advantage.

If you are at the edge and up b to glide back onstage some chars, such as Falco can Dair spike you out of it, Marth can outspace the glide and tipper fsmash it (I died vs. Leon at 60% in tourney because of this, which costs me the match).
MK in dittos can UAir combo you at low % out of it, he can Nair kill you, by jumping into the glide.
When I played Leons Peach I once died at less than 100%, cause of me using Up B, him running in and usmashing me out of it.

The chars even can just run in covering all of MKs options.
If he cancels they will get a freehit, if you stay in the glide they get a free aerialhit.

Up B is amazing to go through some moves and beat em out, but it can be punished so hard in a lot of situations, you really shouldnt spam it or get predictable with it.

Almost every char can cover all options by just running or frolling into it.

Staco

Smash Champion
just dont whiff it, the priority and speed make it almost profane
If you use it that way your not taking any risk, which will make up b much more useless, since you wont be able to use it often without the chance of whiffing it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I agree with Staco in every possible way. UpB must be used well in order for it to be the "best move in Brawl". You can't just upB OoS everything or SL everytime in the air or anything. It's very punishable if done wrong, but very rewarding when used well. The more I play MK, the less I kinda use it.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I'm w/ Staco too UpB should not be mindlessly spammed just because of its attributes. You don't know how many times I've gotten punished hard for it

Staco

Smash Champion
A lot of people overrate this move, because they don´t play against people, which efficiently punish this move.
It´s easy to get an up b habit, if you don´t play people, who punish it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I cannot myself do **** against SL since I lack experience against other MKs, but they abuse the hell out of it so I can still most of the time punish it. That's how easy it's to beat when spammed.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
If you're aerial and they do an aerial Shuttle, just jump and Dair it if you expect it and you're high enough not to get hit but it from the jump, if not, you can Tornado the expecting Shuttle, or just simple air dodge through fast fall Uair.

If it's grounded, just shield it then punish with Nair, Uair string, Nado, or Shuttle.

MK's Shuttle it's too hard to get around once you know how to beat it

Kaffei

Smash Hero
A lot of people overrate this move, because they don´t play against people, which efficiently punish this move.
It´s easy to get an up b habit, if you don´t play people, who punish it.
This is true. I was playing friendlies with Anti on wifi and he ***** me soo hard everytime i missed up b

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
what are some things I can work on with just computer players? is there anything I can practice just by myself? I usually just try to work on spacing and stuff like that but I feel like theres more things I can work on.

Exdeath

Smash Master
what are some things I can work on with just computer players? is there anything I can practice just by myself? I usually just try to work on spacing and stuff like that but I feel like theres more things I can work on.
Practice making all of your attacks as fast as possible while still auto-canceling them. Practice hitting CPUs and see how much of an advantage you have before a CPU hits you for using it, then come up with something that you can use to punish the CPU trying to hit you out of the string for the mix-up. Go into practice mode and set the CPU to run away. Now practice hitting a CPU trying to air dodge into the ground and practice frame trapping CPUs in air dodge. If you aren't sure what is optimum, then try to either ask in the Q&A thread or record videos of yourself playing and then look at it yourself and/or post it in the Critique thread.

Staco

Smash Champion
You can also just play around and think about the game while doing it.
I often find out useful things by doing so, even when I just play around for 10 minutes Ill find sth. new and useful.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
so when banning a stage in a set in a tourney, would it be wise to ban brinstar from characters like wario/ness/any character with really good aerials? or ban something else?

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
wario and game and watch are the ones I'm debating on, is there any other characters that can abuse this stage better than mk?

Staco

Smash Champion
Never ban brinstar. Its still **** for you.
Also, Stacos posts are da bess.

:phone:
:)

I would not ban brinstar against Wario.
There are far worse stages against him and in my personal experience MK is pretty solid vs. Wario on brinstar.
The only char where I think that banning brinstar makes sense is either GaW or MK, if you don´t like to play Mk dittos on brinstar.
I got counterpicked on that map for dittos many times allready. -.-

Master Raven

Smash Master
I wouldn't ban Brinstar personally unless we know for certain that Wario/GW straight-out counter MK on Brinstar (I doubt it). I say just learn how to play the MUs on stages like that.

NNID
Budget_Player
Ness. Ban Brinstar against Ness.

What's the best way to hurt an ike who is below the ledge/on the ledge? I'm really struggling to get past that upB, and he has that obscene range...

Also, any pointers in general against marth? It's one of those MUs that I struggle with, because there's more than a few simple gimmicks to it. >.> Like, how the **** do you approach this guy.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I guess I should tell you me personal experiences.
Ness doesn't beat you in Brinstar. What can he do to your sharking and stuff there?

To gimp Ike, have more than 100% and when your edgehog invinciblity wears off, use getup, it extends your invincibility enough to hog him. If he already is in the ledge, let him try to get back, if he uses upB, do nothing, it just resets the situation.

Against Marth... If the Marth is very very Fair happy, just walk away and dash attack. I suck at the MU myself too so I would love some help too xD

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I always let Ike recover from the ledge and try gimp him again. Probably that's because local Ike is pretty bad.... lol
Optionally, I find a way to grab the ledge, Ike either dies or hard lands near the ledge so you can SL him to his death if he's too close, or just nair and deal lots of damage.

Staco

Smash Champion
If the Marth is fair happy: Up B beats Fair.
Tornado beats Marth, if hes in the air, except he is really good and doing that air up b or outspacing the nado with fair, dj etc.

Top Bottom