• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Player-4

See you in 25 years
i dont know how to nado properly. can you please explain this?
Just practice it, that's the best way. Basically though, there's multiple ways to Nado. If you can't poke their shield, Nado away (to a platform preferably), but if they start chasing you just sweep back towards them and you'll catch them off guard.

You can also Nado their shield, back off, then sweep back in for the poke, it's like what I just mentioned but it works a majority of the time when their not even going after you.

If you're playing against character that can get out and attack you or attack you out of a poor Tornado for example Peach Nairing or Marth Up-B-ing just catch them in your Nado then keep moving with your momentum to the right or left, keeping them on the side of your Nado.

There's also a specific height that you can end your Nado at and land with zero lag, MK always has 29 frames of ending lag from Nado, so find that perfect height then end your Nado from that then you can follow up with an attack, shield, spot dodge, or whatever.

If you're playing against characters like Snake or D3 or anyone really, just Nado at the top of their head to force shield pokes.

That's pretty much it, I mean there's obviously more, but that's the gist of it, just go practice and figure more out.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't help though. You just get out of cooldown faster relative to the time you've been on the ground. Trust me, it doesn't help or hurt you that much by landing later during the nado. Perfectly "autocancelling"(since its not really autocancelling, mind you) a nado is about between the plats on battlefield or a little above the plat on smashville. The only advantage you get by landing later would be that your opponent would have a harder time hitting you once you land. The drawback to that advantage, however, is that you're in the air for 29 frames max and they get an easy aerial/tilt/other crazy **** on you before you land.

MU dependent I suppose. If you're playing against Pika I'd go with an aerial one since QAC>Grab(Oh my God gay X.X)/Nair just sounds awful compared to an Uair. Against Snake you'd probably want to end it low to the ground since its better to eat a dash attack/weak Usmash rather than the strong Usmash from below.

Also, Question: I have a fear of getting within tilt range of Kirby because of grab gayness. >_< How2get past fear aura mid game? Its really messing me up. I feel like I'm ignoring a lot of possible followups and punishes just because I'm afraid of grab.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I just camp kirby usually, kind of like wario where he could **** you up if he gets in but there's no reason that should even happen lol

Dojo

Smash Champion
I usually predict when Pika is going to do his jolt. Usually if he's by the edge of the stage and full hops he's going to, so I'll dash at him then jump>nado right into him. It will cancel the jolt and grab him in it in the process.

Even if I react too late, the best way for him to get away is to UPb over and away which leaves you safe and puts it back into neutral.

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
Hai gaiz!

Alrighty. Frame plus or minus stuff.

I just read this thingie about Metadude's Bair being +4 on shield drop or some weird garbage like that. Then in the Metaknight thread I read that it's like minus uh......it's not +4 on shield drop, that's for sure. So what's up with that?

Also, glide attack. Is it really plus on shield drop? If that is so, then no wonder I see M2K always Dsmash after a blocked Glide attack.

.....the thing I read was this old thing about Metaknight being broken or something. I think it was from around 2009 or so. So, maybe it was old man stuff.

Okay thanks d00ds!

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
It was wrong lol. But yeah, Bair is at best -6 on shield drop and glide attack has at best a -1 frame advantage.

.....the thing I read was this old thing about Metaknight being broken or something. I think it was from around 2009 or so. So, maybe it was old man stuff.
It was probably old, faulty data. :/

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Can someone please give me the frame data on Meta Knight's "perfect planking"? I would like an explanation if it's possible, and rather a video if you can. Thank you.

pulse131

Smash Ace
those 29 frames of lag after nado, is it those specific frames in which you cannot grab the ledge while falling?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I do them all the time. It is wonderful to tornado, send opponents upwards and be safe on the ledge.

pulse131

Smash Ace
aight heres my biggest problem. since i seem to get more and better answers here then anywhere else.
getting back on stage in the ditto. im far too impatient too wait, granted im working on it i feel like i have to get back some way.
just simple scenarios such as me on the ledge and the other one waiting, usually with fsmash. ive literally tried everything you think of, from air dodge to ftilt, glide cancel to roll, you name it.
i feel that literally the only thing i can do it wait with uairs and such til they back off. or maybe on stage with platforms i can jump up onto them but that just puts me, well, in that situation, witch as far as im concerned, is bad.
also getting back on stage from above. i feel i have good methods of getting around them when on a platform, but when in the air and lacking jumps, people like sean and trevonte just **** my *** every time and i cant figure out why i cant do the same.
halp preez

Player-4

See you in 25 years
If they're waiting for your with Fsmashes while you're trying to get back to the stage, just Glide Attack them, if you space it right, you'll win, it outranged Fsmash. If you're on the ledge and their spamming Fsmash, just wait till one finishes and pop up with a quick sweeping Nado.

If you're getting juggled, mixed up how you want to get to the ground, if you expect them to Shuttle you, you can Nado, if you're getting Uair juggled, try spacing a Dair between their Uairs, try fast fall Fair or Nair, or try Down-B-ing away to ground or ledge when you're a decent height from them.

The reason you can't really do the same to them is simply because you're not reading them, work on your reads, and if what they're doing to get back down to the ground is good, take their tactics and use them against them, but always keep things mixed up, you don't want them catching onto your methods and ****** you for it.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Why are people dumb? And approach with a low shield? Is it really a strain to chill out for a sec to let your shield regenerate?

Am I the only one noticing people doing this?

pulse131

Smash Ace
cept in the ditto ;p
thnx for the tips p4. didnt consider nado-ing thru there fsmash. if they are charging it guess ill just start it up while there charging and try to time it. its still seems like they have plenty of time to react tho :/

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
PTZR WINS!

When I started playing this game, I learned that when your shield is low, it can be dangerous and risky, so retreating is the best option once you've received shield pressure. JUST LIKE HALO. Only not as important.

MAYBE, I just play too safe. Who knows?

Player-4

See you in 25 years
cept in the ditto ;p
thnx for the tips p4. didnt consider nado-ing thru there fsmash. if they are charging it guess ill just start it up while there charging and try to time it. its still seems like they have plenty of time to react tho :/
If they're charging it then just jump over them lmao, idk why people don't do this, or just jump into glide and then attack or you could Nado and wait for them to finish then sweep them, or Nado over them.

Best way to do this is just practice in friendlies, you can even put yourself on the ledge and bait them into edge guarding you so you can practice your tactics or ask someone to try edgeguarding you with this method and see how they react to it and just see what options work.

Just work on mix ups and adapting, that's what's key

pulse131

Smash Ace
im aware that i just need to keep playing, but that option isnt always present, hence the reason im here.
nevertheless i have some more knowledge now so thnx again

Kaffei

Smash Hero
are you srs wow
Nado his uair or Shield all the hits of uair and buffer a GSL oos.
If he's doing arrows just nado him. Idk how you are having trouble.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
If pits planking and doing uair, Dtilt it. If he is just grabbing the edge after the 2nd time grab the ledge. If he is shooting arrows Nado it.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
how can u cancel the upb so fast? i want to know hehe i saw ally and m2k doing it
As soon as yo up b, do it again as soon as the glide animation starts, then fast fall to the ground. The timing is kinda weird to get used to, but practice it in trainning mode. Its pretty much a free grounded shuttle loop whenever when done correctly. ^_^ hope that helps!

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Most of the cast can grab it on shield if they predict it. :/ Its pretty safe for them to do so every time as well even without predicting since you can either cancel the glide or keep gliding lol. Seriously, what you gonna do to punish a missed dash grab wen u gliding like that???

pulse131

Smash Ace
heh i just spam b and tap and hold down
of course most of the time im too anxious and ill try to glide atk ;p never works directly

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
heh i just spam b and tap and hold down
of course most of the time im too anxious and ill try to glide atk ;p never works directly
If you're playing against someone good, it'll never work and they'll just sheild grab you for it. When people get hit by glide attacks, I laugh. They're so easy to react to. Not a good habit to use it everytime you glide.

@nicks: id say snake, mk, and I know this is weird, but I think rob is also a great team mate for mk. Mostly because a slightly campy rob can really help cover you when you **** up, and prevent you from being punished sometimes.

When you think of good mk partners, think if they're good on brinstar or cruise, if they are, then they're probably good partners. :)

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Shouldn't get shield grabbed from a glide attack, it's unpunishable if spaced right. But I agree, if you always glide attack sooner or later they will wise up and make you pay. Still a really good move me thinks.

Top Bottom